Breaking My Heart 2013-12-18

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
Yamara

Re: Breaking My Heart 2013-12-18

Post by Yamara »

Atsali! That kind of behavior is for after school!

Actually, although it's a "genre", I'm not sure these sixteen-year-olds will even know what an Afterschool Special is, since ABC cancelled the brand in 1997.

Doesn't mean Adler wouldn't say that though. Let the ABC Afterschool Specials resound with the fear only occult antiquity can bring. Let them be the Eleusinian Mysteries of the 20th Century.
PunPalsm the fastest way to pay the pun jar

Do Not Taunt Happy Fun Baal.
Catawampus

Post by Catawampus »

Given her tail-feathers and size-changing, I expect that Atsali has had similar experiences with her own self in the past. That would help explain her immediately coming up with a solution while the others were still flailing around. Plus, she'd know just how awkward the situation could be.
Julie

Post by Julie »

1) D'awwwww!! Well done Atsali! :D Her momma would be so proud!
2) Did I mention I love this gym teacher?? :D
3)
Yamara wrote:Actually, although it's a "genre", I'm not sure these sixteen-year-olds will even know what an Afterschool Special is, since ABC cancelled the brand in 1997.

Holy crap! Are after school specials really that old and extinct?? Thanks for making me feel ancient and out of touch Yamara! :P
"Just open your eyes
And see that life is beautiful."
DilyV

Post by DilyV »

Heheee... Called it!!! viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1348#p27843

I think the shocked look is because Atsali is being nice after Jessie had said some really ugly things about her. I agree that Jessie is probably thinking what Atsali is up to... but since Atsali isn't the vindictive type, be prepared for a truly shocked look when Jessie realizes Atsali is really just being nice.
You know that light at the end of the tunnel?

Yeah... it's a bullet. Sorry.
GuySmiley

Post by GuySmiley »

Good job Atsali! Not only taking the high road by not laughing at her tormentor's misfortune but jumping in to help. Quickly too, considering she would have been doing her own lap of the pool when the incident happened. Of course the synic in me wants to think she knows being nice will fry the girls' brains :twisted: (nice BSOD look btw) but I doubt it.

While this will hopefully improve the relationship between these three I'm hoping Paul doesn't have the two girls do a total 180 right away, seems too easy.
"I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf mutes."
-The Laughing Man; GITS:SAC (originally from Holden Caulfield; Catcher in the Rye)
Boxilar

Post by Boxilar »

I think Jessie's response here depends on a couple of things. I know from personal experience that perceived social status in high school can dictate the response of those who see themselves as being higher of a social status. Even if Jessie is grateful for Atsali saving her ass, social pressure may "force" her to save face and denigrate Atsali rather than thank her for the assist. To her, Atsali is an orphan who was/is pretty much a nobody in the paranormal world.

This goes double if Jessie is a perceived leader in her peer group.

Part of 'Sali's mortification at her "blooming" is that before she could just blend into the background. Now she stands out, and the jokes about her breasts are as much from jealousy as anything else.

Of course, it all depends on how good a person Jessie is, and how much she wants to maintain her social status.

Which could all come crashing down if it comes out that Atsali has a personal connection with the Jaguar Girl and the Sage of the Forest.

Not that I expect Atsali to name drop, but someone else might.
KnightDelight

Post by KnightDelight »

GuySmiley wrote:While this will hopefully improve the relationship between these three I'm hoping Paul doesn't have the two girls do a total 180 right away, seems too easy.
I agree, a slow coming to terms would be better, but then it's not my story to tell. Even if there is a better relation from this, why would a really nice girl like Atsali want to hang out with this snot in the first place? She may look more kindly at Atsali, but she's still a nasty piece of work. And her friend looks really mad, possibly because she wasn't the one to help, resenting Atsali all the more. "She's MY friend, you slut, shove off!" I would see her response now to snatch the trunks away and hand them to Gotlieb. So, overall, Atsali may have made one more friendly to her, and one who hates her now.
DANGEROUSLY UNDER-MEDICATED
If we are what we eat, then I'm easy, fast, and cheap
kingklash

Post by kingklash »

Opus the Poet wrote:
shadowinthelight wrote:Such compassion. It's almost like Mrs. Adler's heart grew three sizes just like the Grinch. :lol:

http://www.leasticoulddo.com/comic/20131215/

That's all I have to say about the subject.
http://maximumble.thebookofbiff.com/201 ... 735-burst/
GuySmiley

Post by GuySmiley »

KnightDelight wrote:Even if there is a better relation from this, why would a really nice girl like Atsali want to hang out with this snot in the first place?
She might not want to hang out on a regular basis, or at all, but she's better off having people as friends instead of bullies. Hopefully that makes sense. I'm using 'friend' to mean someone you have any kind of positive relationship with, not just people like the ursa twins that she'll probably spend a lot of time with.
"I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf mutes."
-The Laughing Man; GITS:SAC (originally from Holden Caulfield; Catcher in the Rye)
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

Boxilar wrote:...Part of 'Sali's mortification at her "blooming" is that before she could just blend into the background. Now she stands out, and the jokes about her breasts are as much from jealousy as anything else...
Exactly. My first strategy in high school was to be invisible. In cases where that didn't work out, I tried to at least negate the other's propensity to bully me by making them kinda like me, somehow. After that, I tried to get them to respect me. Failing that, I employed fear.

Astali doesn't have the option of being invisible, so she has to jump straight to getting people to at least like her a little bit. After that, she could name-drop "Aunt Monica" and the others for respect.

And to earn fear, she could tell all the little boys and girls about her... adventure. And perhaps go Full Siren. Being a huge, winged beast with very pointy talons is perfect for striking fear into at least the physically/magically weaker paranormals.
He's mister GlytchMeister, he's mister code
He's mister exploiter, he's mister ones and zeros
They call me GlytchMeister, whatever I touch
Starts to glitch in my clutch!
I'm too much!
Boxilar

Post by Boxilar »

GlytchMeister wrote:
Boxilar wrote:...Part of 'Sali's mortification at her "blooming" is that before she could just blend into the background. Now she stands out, and the jokes about her breasts are as much from jealousy as anything else...
Exactly. My first strategy in high school was to be invisible. In cases where that didn't work out, I tried to at least negate the other's propensity to bully me by making them kinda like me, somehow. After that, I tried to get them to respect me. Failing that, I employed fear.

Astali doesn't have the option of being invisible, so she has to jump straight to getting people to at least like her a little bit. After that, she could name-drop "Aunt Monica" and the others for respect.

And to earn fear, she could tell all the little boys and girls about her... adventure. And perhaps go Full Siren. Being a huge, winged beast with very pointy talons is perfect for striking fear into at least the physically/magically weaker paranormals.
I don't quite see 'Sali using physical intimidation on anyone. It doesn't seem to be in her makeup. Of course, we haven't seen her pushed. She has the normal teenage self esteem issues anyone that has, compounded by life as an orphan and the manifestation of maturity Sirens are apparently known for. That being said, her full Mythic form is that of a seven foot tall predatory bird girl who could "rip a man in half."

So there are likely to be instincts in place to go with the form. As I said, I doubt Atsali would use physical intimidation on her own behalf. However, if someone she cared about were being bullied of threatened, I could see it triggering her more primal instincts.
AmriloJim
Location: 35ºN 101ºW (for the GPS-challenged, that's Amarillo TX)

Post by AmriloJim »

Boxilar wrote: However, if someone she cared about were being bullied of threatened, I could see it triggering her more primal instincts.
You mean like if someone tried to Roundup® Castela?
meisdadoo

Post by meisdadoo »

AmriloJim wrote:
Boxilar wrote: However, if someone she cared about were being bullied of threatened, I could see it triggering her more primal instincts.
You mean like if someone tried to Roundup® Castela?
Yeah, trying to use weed killer on the cute little prickly plant would cause something much worse than what happened to the tar. . .just sayin.
Where are we going and why am I in this handbasket?
zachariah

Post by zachariah »

GlytchMeister wrote: Exactly. My first strategy in high school was to be invisible. In cases where that didn't work out, I tried to at least negate the other's propensity to bully me by making them kinda like me, somehow. After that, I tried to get them to respect me. Failing that, I employed fear.
That can work but is hard to maintain or control. I found confusion worked better. I played football(Defensive end), was a member of the chess team, the drama club, and played guitar with a band including hair as long as I could get away with. No one knew what to make of me. So they just avoided me as too much trouble to mess with. Not being able to put someone into a niche just bothered the heck out of them. lol.

Sali seems to be heading that way. She is quiet but goes ahead and does the unexpected. If rumors about her adventure spread, or family connections combined with her low profile behavior I expect she will attain the same effect.
Ambush questions are fun. Watching the mental impact of them as they distort, or crumble, opinions based on faulty logic.
eee

Post by eee »

GlytchMeister wrote:And to earn fear, she could tell all the little boys and girls about her... adventure. And perhaps go Full Siren. Being a huge, winged beast with very pointy talons is perfect for striking fear into at least the physically/magically weaker paranormals.
But ARE the other paranormal children weaker? I get the impression Sirens don't rank very high on the paranormal scale; although probably higher than vampires. If Atsali tried out-muscling some bully and it turned out to be the child of a hydra that ate Sirens for a light snack, that would not go well. As for telling about her adventure, I suspect no one would believe her and she'd get a reputation as a tall tale teller. That is, assuming she CAN talk about it; revealing that the head of the MiB was possessed for millennium by an evil spirit might NOT be the sort of thing to be bandied (nor Brandied) about. (drops a bottle of Napoleon Brandy in the pun jar). And as for talking about her 'aunts': That might just make her enemies jealous. It might be better she trying winning through personality; I think she could do it.
Neveko

Post by Neveko »

Atsali did more than I ever would have. Even now I'm pretty sure I'd just be finishing my lap in quiet smugness and sit back to watch the situation play out. Invisibility is how I played high school. It worked just fine. She's far nicer than I ever would be to someone like her.
sheik

Post by sheik »

I blame Atsali's role models.
THE Jaguar girl gives undergarment advice.
Mom has to be the coolest improvisor under fire since Audie Murphy.
And little sister is so perpetually cheery she even giggles while unraveling.
What I would have given for an upbringing like that!
kingklash

Post by kingklash »

I'm just glad Atsali grabbed the trunks off of a cart, and not the nearest boy. Now, she can get back to playing "Islands In The Stream" until PE is over.
jayessell

Post by jayessell »

I wonder if the mermaids can do a 50/50 like we saw in the Disney movie.
Castela would love to see that!
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

jayessell wrote:I wonder if the mermaids can do a 50/50 like we saw in the Disney movie.
Castela would love to see that!
Ummm...I have no idea what you mean by that... I even tried the Wikipedia disambiguation page... Care to explain?

EDIT: I just tried TV Tropes. I used ctl-F to avoid a tab explosion, but still ended up with ten tabs. That site is the black hole of the Internet.
He's mister GlytchMeister, he's mister code
He's mister exploiter, he's mister ones and zeros
They call me GlytchMeister, whatever I touch
Starts to glitch in my clutch!
I'm too much!