Keep Concertrating 2013-12-17

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
My2Cents

Re: Keep Concertrating 2013-12-17

Post by My2Cents »

Here are a few suspicions:
1. Gotlieb's friend is not a mermaid.
2. We are going to see a series of exercises each calculated to cause one of them to lose concentration and shift.
3. The bear sisters aren’t present because the school does not approve of their shape shifting their clothes. The sisters are down at the Vice Principal’s Office writing “I will wear clothes in school” a couple hundred times each.
While misery loves company, chaos brings along friends.
My2Cents

Post by My2Cents »

I am sure everyone spotted the gill slits on Gotlieb's neck. I wonder how the usual over chlorinated gym water feels in her gills.
While misery loves company, chaos brings along friends.
jayessell

Post by jayessell »

My2Cents wrote:I am sure everyone spotted the gill slits on Gotlieb's neck. I wonder how the usual over chlorinated gym water feels in her gills.
It might be seawater for all we know, or use a magical
substitute for chlorination.

Maybe mermaids and other paranormals can handle breathing
chlorinated water.
Boxilar

Re: Keep Concert rating 2013-12-17

Post by Boxilar »

Zachariah wrote:I wonder if this is going to lead to us seeing Sail's adult siren form? If Godlier attacks her and it escalate Sail may be pushed to take that form. Prior to this when Sail took winged form it was as a juvenile, now she has grown.
I'm betting Atsali adult full siren form isn't much different from this, except with larger breasts. What must be especially frustrating to Atsali is that she has such fine control over her form, and from the casual way she does it through the strip, has had that control for a long time. She can add or subtract mass at will as well as decrease or increase her height. She can also manifest as much wing as she wants or needs for a given situation, from none, to barely there vestigial wings, to a full thirty something foot wingspan complete with tail feathers. And there's the choice of whether she has human like feet or talons. And whether or not she has fangs. And despte all that, she's "stuck" with L cup breasts that likely stay proportionate to whatever height she is at the time.
MerchManDan

Post by MerchManDan »

Interesting development. Excellent chance for Atsali to indulge in some schadenfreude, if she were so inclined.
"Give orange me give eat orange me eat orange give me eat orange give me you." - Nim the chimp
Animation courtesy of shadowinthelight (thanks again!)
Julie

Post by Julie »

I'm going to side against the idea of an actual fight taking place right now. There might be some sort of (unwarranted) retaliation later, but all of the teens I've seen who got bent out of shape at classmates were smart enough to wait until there was no supervision (or at least a lot less) before taking out their anger. Then again, aside from the snarky comments about sirens, I really don't expect there to be any actual action against Atsali by the mermaid and her friend. They'll probably just be crueler in their commentary, unless there's a serious streak of aggression in their species (like in the sphinxes)...but I really hope that somehow this leads to an understanding between Atsali and Gotlieb, even if it's not an actual friendship.

In any event, looks like being a mermaid isn't all that great when you're forced to maintain human appearances. Legs are probably very difficult to maintain in their natural element. It's obvious that she never really exercised her legs in this way. I guess we know the purpose of paranormal PE now. :)
"Just open your eyes
And see that life is beautiful."
analyst

Post by analyst »

The thought comes to me is that Astali could pull a Billy Madison (Adam Sandler) and maybe cause a wardrobe malfunction of her own. Shared embarrassment is embarrassment halved. It could turn into a let's see the para's bust up the school swimsuits (fan-service). She could wind up with staunch allies out of this.
donoho

Post by donoho »

Anyone else think this would make a (better than most) WB... CW show?

High School, Teen Angst, Magical Creatures... What's missing?
ChattaStarhawk

Post by ChattaStarhawk »

donoho wrote:Anyone else think this would make a (better than most) WB... CW show?

"Wapsi Square High" Coming soon! :D

Should be a hit if you get the right producer/director team... might even work for their Saturday morning Vortex lineup.
Boxilar

Post by Boxilar »

A random though occurs.

Monica and Shelly are two of the most powerful paranormals on the planet. They are self described Apex Predators who are effectively immortal and who could "take on the armies of the earth" and win. And while they certainly have tragic backgrounds, both were raised as the vanilla humans they were at the time. They never had to learn how to blend into a human society they weren't really part of, and once they achieved their full power, they were pretty much untouchable by any agency, human or paranormal, that might have tried to limit them. I think seeing what Atsali and Pickle have to go through just to live in a world that's hostile to them will do the Jaguar Girl and Titan/Sphinx a world of good, even more than Phix's lecture.
Yamara

Post by Yamara »

ChattaStarhawk wrote:
donoho wrote:Anyone else think this would make a (better than most) WB... CW show?

Should be a hit if you get the right producer/director team... might even work for their Saturday morning Vortex lineup.
A signed contract with Paul Taylor being acknowledged and remunerated had better not be missing. Too much of that shit going on.

Julie wrote:I'm going to side against the idea of an actual fight taking place right now. There might be some sort of (unwarranted) retaliation later, but all of the teens I've seen who got bent out of shape at classmates were smart enough to wait until there was no supervision (or at least a lot less) before taking out their anger. Then again, aside from the snarky comments about sirens, I really don't expect there to be any actual action against Atsali by the mermaid and her friend. They'll probably just be crueler in their commentary, unless there's a serious streak of aggression in their species (like in the sphinxes)...but I really hope that somehow this leads to an understanding between Atsali and Gotlieb, even if it's not an actual friendship.

In any event, looks like being a mermaid isn't all that great when you're forced to maintain human appearances. Legs are probably very difficult to maintain in their natural element. It's obvious that she never really exercised her legs in this way. I guess we know the purpose of paranormal PE now. :)
"You need to look human, not like a siren or a mermaid." Adler is nothing if not direct.

As for a potential fight, I'd have to wonder what part of Atsali's background might surface. Not the mystic/genetic predisposition stuff, but her own mind and issues: her time in the orphanage, and more importantly her adventure with Katherine.

Atsali knows the difference between petty dominance games and abject evil-- I kind of doubt her classmates do. That's why they're being trained so carefully. I hope Atsali can tap into that wisdom if any schoolyard conflicts seem to get serious.
PunPalsm the fastest way to pay the pun jar

Do Not Taunt Happy Fun Baal.
zachariah

Post by zachariah »

Boxilar wrote:A random though occurs.

Monica and Shelly are two of the most powerful paranormals on the planet. They are self described Apex Predators who are effectively immortal and who could "take on the armies of the earth" and win.[/url]
While that is true they are near the top of the heap they are not at the top. The other Titans rank higher. Shelly is a sub-titan as she is part Sphinx. Monica is a sub-titan as ranked by the library. Compared to the mortals they are invincible. But neither one grew up that way and they do not have the mindset that Bia and Phix have. I doubt that there is an active ranking system in place by the higher powers. The other paras do have a system but it most a type of class system with all the prejudices built into it. Since most of them are marginal they have to have someone to look down on. Or at least certain character types do. Like vampires are considered mosquitoes.
Ambush questions are fun. Watching the mental impact of them as they distort, or crumble, opinions based on faulty logic.
kingklash

Post by kingklash »

ChattaStarhawk wrote:

What would the Happy Meal toys be like?
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

kingklash wrote:
ChattaStarhawk wrote:

What would the Happy Meal toys be like?
Like pure joy covered in awsome sauce... :D
"The price of perfection is prohibitive." - Anonymous
jayessell

Post by jayessell »

[quote="My2Cents"][/quote]
There's something Atsali can't play... The concertina.
Dave

Post by Dave »

jayessell wrote:There's something Atsali can't play... The concertina.
That may be for the best. "If you admit you can play the accordion, you'll never get a job in a rock-and-roll band!"
meisdadoo

Post by meisdadoo »

zachariah wrote:
Boxilar wrote:A random though occurs.

Monica and Shelly are two of the most powerful paranormals on the planet. They are self described Apex Predators who are effectively immortal and who could "take on the armies of the earth" and win.[/url]
While that is true they are near the top of the heap they are not at the top. The other Titans rank higher. Shelly is a sub-titan as she is part Sphinx. Monica is a sub-titan as ranked by the library. Compared to the mortals they are invincible. But neither one grew up that way and they do not have the mindset that Bia and Phix have. I doubt that there is an active ranking system in place by the higher powers. The other paras do have a system but it most a type of class system with all the prejudices built into it. Since most of them are marginal they have to have someone to look down on. Or at least certain character types do. Like vampires are considered mosquitoes.
Monica is also immortal due to the phoenix ability to be reborn, hence her classification as a new sub-titan. She would have to be more than godlike to qualify for "new titan" classification.
Somehow Wikipedia seems like the perfect reference for mythical beings--oh irony how sweet thou art
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Titan_(mythology)
Where are we going and why am I in this handbasket?
meisdadoo

Post by meisdadoo »

Concerning Atsali's development. We saw her as an adolescent that was afraid of falling--even though she could already fly, then develop huge wings and tail enabling her to rescue Kathrine, then BAZINGA her chest "muscles" developed. I am looking forward to seeing her "adult" paranormal version--I am hoping that her voice becomes "irresistible" and she does the old Jedi mind trick,
Atsali "This was not my fault.."
Gottlieb "this was not your fault..."
:lol:
Where are we going and why am I in this handbasket?
Grantwhy

Post by Grantwhy »

ChattaStarhawk wrote:

or even "Waspi Square 90210" :?: If it is going to be about 'teen high angst' and not so much played for comedy.

Having said that, there is a Battletech 90210 out there that is absolutely hilarious (if you know a bit of the background history/novels from the 3050-3067~ish eras of Battletech) so there is a chance of a comedy version of "Waspi Square 90210" actually working.
As a CareBearAnarchist I believe in the destruction and overthrow of the perils of society through random and senseless acts of consideration and kindness
Growing older is compulsory, growing up is optional
Dumb things happen to smart phones
Mark N

Post by Mark N »

I am thinking that the suits are all the same for safety reasons as well as stopping the unwanted "my stuff is better than your poor trash stuff" that seems to happen with people nowadays (well, anytime in the last century or so). The suits may be designed so that they break in the right places in an emergency like this.
This message is brought to you by the "Let the artist know how much you LOVE his work" council.