Called Me Psycho 2013-11-22

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
KnightDelight

Re: Called Me Psycho 2013-11-22

Post by KnightDelight »

GuySmiley wrote: Oh, and if we're nerds for thinking it was Kevin was the boyfriend in question what does that make Nudge and Tsila? :ugeek:
Pair a nerds, of course (paranerds),
DANGEROUSLY UNDER-MEDICATED
If we are what we eat, then I'm easy, fast, and cheap
MerchManDan

Post by MerchManDan »

GuySmiley wrote:Count me in the 'relieved she didn't mean Kevin' group. Though I'm not sure how we weren't supposed to read that into yesterday's comic. There must have been an 'at that age' implied in her sentence that didn't come cross, at least to me, very clearly.
No, I'm pretty sure Paul worded her sentence quite purposefully to throw a curveball at us all. Not to be mean-spirited, of course; just to see if we've been paying attention. ;)
"Give orange me give eat orange me eat orange give me eat orange give me you." - Nim the chimp
Animation courtesy of shadowinthelight (thanks again!)
Sidhekin

Post by Sidhekin »

The point I missed, was that Monica was missing the point: They're not asking the 16-year-old to help Atsali. They're asking the 31-year-old.

And the 31-year-old, as not just Kevin's presence indicates, is a whole lot more capable.
perl -e 'print "Just another Perl ${\(trickster and hacker)},";'

The Sidhekin proves that Sidhe did it!
RDrd

Post by RDrd »

MerchManDan wrote:
GuySmiley wrote:Count me in the 'relieved she didn't mean Kevin' group. Though I'm not sure how we weren't supposed to read that into yesterday's comic. There must have been an 'at that age' implied in her sentence that didn't come cross, at least to me, very clearly.
No, I'm pretty sure Paul worded her sentence quite purposefully to throw a curveball at us all. Not to be mean-spirited, of course; just to see if we've been paying attention. ;)
I agree. Especially because characters in the story thought she meant Kevin, we were definitely supposed to think that as well. I had the same response as the first panel- I went "Wait, what, I just reread this- how could I miss THAT?!". :lol:
Sidhekin wrote:The point I missed, was that Monica was missing the point: They're not asking the 16-year-old to help Atsali. They're asking the 31-year-old.

And the 31-year-old, as not just Kevin's presence indicates, is a whole lot more capable.
Yeah, but deep inside part of Monica is still that 16 year old. We saw in the last arc that she's barely addressed how the rapes effected her, I doubt she's properly faced the emotions that resulted from a boyfriend treating her like that. For everything that's happened, for all her power, part of Monica is still that scared, helpless teenager.

Which, of course, is exactly why she's the perfect person to talk to Atsali.
DilyV

Post by DilyV »

I can see it now...

Monica: Hi Atsali, I'm Mon-

Atsali: Monica!!! The Jaguar Girl, I know!!! OMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMG!!!!

Monica: I was hoping that I cou-

Atsali: They sent you to talk to me, didn't they? They think talking to you will help but look at me!!! Nothing can help this!!!

Monica: Atsali... It's all a part of-

Atsali: Growing up? Growing up? I'm supposed to be growing up, not growing out!!! What am I going to do? This is horrible!!!

Monica: Hun, you have to understand... his happens to us all... we all go throu-

Atsali: People keep telling me that but look at me!!! How am I going to face people looking like this? How to I cope? I can't even walk straight because it affects my balance!!!

Monica: You'll do it just like I did. I-

Atsali: But you're the Jaguar Girl!!!

Monica: *reaches out and gently places her hand over Atsali's mouth, intent on finishing at least one sentence.* Atsali... I may be the Jaguar Girl, but inside I still struggle with a lot of things my life has dealt me, not the least of which is the size of my bust. I've dealt with that all my life. We are what we are. We can't change what we are... but we can change who we are and how we react to things. You're lucky. I blossomed a lot earlier than you have. I've spent over half my life dealing with people making remarks about my chest. I know what you're going through. You can say I am uniquely qualified to help you through this.

Atsali: But... but...

Monica: But what? You have big boobs? So do I. I survived. I learned to accept myself for who I was first... and what I was second. Remember, people only have the power over you that YOU give them. Yes, it will be hard at first but over time, when you get more comfortable in your own skin, you'll be able to shrug off comments about how you look.

Nudge: *coughs uncontrollably*

Monica: Look... you seem like a good kid Atsali. After we're done here, I'll ask Katherine if I can take you to the Library and we can do a little research into Sirens. Maybe if I knew more about what you are, I can help soften this change in you a little easier.

Castela: They're already nice and soft Miss Monica! I felted them when she jumpded on me last night. She gots soft parts just like mama!

Atsali: *eyes roll up in her head as she lets out an exasperated sound*

Monica: And who are you? Aren't you the little cutie!

Castela: I'm Atsali's sister!!! We're not really sisters, but we are!!!

I imagine at this point Monica might get hit by the clue by four and realize that Castela might be a foil to Atsali dealing with her changes. I think that to help Atsali, Castela might need to be along on the trip to the Library so that she can be made to understand what Atsali is, what the changes in her mean, and how they should deal with them. For as young and childish as Castela seems, she also seems to have the capacity to understand concepts way beyond her years. I might be wrong, and Pickle might have been teasing Atsali unwittingly, but I got the distinct vibe that Pickle knew exactly what she was saying would poke fun at Atsali. After all, isn't that what little sisters do? Monica could knock out two birds with one stone (no pun intended). She explains to Atsali what is going on with her biologically and helps her find ways to ease the transition, and secondly, she helps Castela understand those changes and helps her to be more supportive of her sister rather than teasing her.
You know that light at the end of the tunnel?

Yeah... it's a bullet. Sorry.
Dave

Post by Dave »

eee wrote:(She was a self-mutilator, too? Wow. The Demon world and Maya should be glad M doesn't hold grudges. Given how much they messed her up and how much pain they caused her, if she believed in payback some of them would be in trouble.)
Yes, she not only had stabbed herself with a pencil (which we learned about years ago) but she was also a "self-cutter" (only very recently disclosed).

She really was put through Hell in a bunch of ways.

It says a very great deal about Monica, that she's able to view the paranormal world and its denizens with as much openness and compassion as she does. It would have been dreadfully easy for her to hold a grudge (as you say) and see all Demons as enemies... and yet she stoutly defended Georgette's covey of demons against the Tar, freed them from its domination, and helped Guidance get them back on the road towards a healthier existence.
GuySmiley

Post by GuySmiley »

MerchManDan wrote:
The problem I had was it fit too well with what had happened since we last saw them together. Since then we've had the incident where Monica BBQ'd Nudge for making fun of her and the bit where she and Shelly go 'flying' through town with no regard for how openly doing that would affect others. If I were Kevin, incidents like that would concern me a lot. Hopefully we get a bit of Kevin's POV at some point.

As for the future conversion between Monica and Atsali, I'm thinking something like this:

Monica walks into room looking a bit sheepish: "......... Hi Atsali.......... I was told you wanted to talk about something."

Atsali: "Monica?!?!? Wait, YOU'RE the Jaguar Girl!!??!?"

Hilarity ensues! :lol:

I can't imagine they've never met, considering Castella ran into her at the library, but maybe Atsali just doesn't know Monica and the Jaguar girl are the same person. Monica doesn't seem like the type to go around broadcasting that fact.
"I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf mutes."
-The Laughing Man; GITS:SAC (originally from Holden Caulfield; Catcher in the Rye)
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

Topics to discuss at this little meeting...
"The price of perfection is prohibitive." - Anonymous
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

1. Atsali knows that Monica IS the Jaguar Girl. The girl does read, after all.

2. She may not, however, know how "endowed" Monica actually is.

3. After I read the comic a few times, I suddenly had this song running through my brain.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
Mark N

Post by Mark N »

DilyV wrote:I can see it now...

Castela: They're already nice and soft Miss Monica! I felted them when she jumpded on me last night. She gots soft parts just like mama!

Atsali: *eyes roll up in her head as she lets out an exasperated sound*

Monica: And who are you? Aren't you the little cutie!

Castela: I'm Atsali's sister!!! We're not really sisters, but we are!!!
This part of your conversation has made me think that thee are so many Abbott (Atsali) and Costello (Castela) moments in store for these two. (Truthfully I have had this thought running through my head since Katherine took them from the orphanage but this made me say something).
This message is brought to you by the "Let the artist know how much you LOVE his work" council.
illiad

Post by illiad »

GuySmiley wrote:Monica BBQ'd Nudge for making fun of her
no all she does is 'expose them to their worst fear'... Nudge hates baths - this (and the next) should explain... :)
http://wapsisquare.com/comic/worst-fear/

Mark N: yes, that is SO like a young 2 year old!!! :D :D Just make sure all the 'adult things' are firmly locked away up high, to prevent even more embarrassing events!!!!! LOL ROFL :lol:

TheDOCTOR: ummmm, NO , unless you want *all* to totally get the wrong opinion of you..... :o :o :o only guys do that.. :/
GuySmiley

Post by GuySmiley »

illiad wrote:
no all she does is 'expose them to their worst fear'... Nudge hates baths - this (and the next) should explain... :)
I'm not sure that makes it any better. A lot of people's worst fears would likely get them, or someone they care about, killed. Not having control of power like that could be very bad for relationships.
"I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf mutes."
-The Laughing Man; GITS:SAC (originally from Holden Caulfield; Catcher in the Rye)
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

jwhouk wrote:1. Atsali knows that Monica IS the Jaguar Girl. The girl does read, after all.

2. She may not, however, know how "endowed" Monica actually is.

3. After I read the comic a few times, I suddenly had this song running through my brain.
At least it wasn't this one...not that any of the Wapsiverse need this mantra...:p
Yanno how some people have Angels/Devils for a conscience? I have a Dark Elf ShadowKnight and a Half Elf Ranger for mine. The really bad part is when they agree on something.

Aphyon chu kissa whol l'jaed.
--Safyr Drathmir
scantrontb

Post by scantrontb »

Ah... LoA... awesome group... and i must thank you for posting that, as you got me hooked on another link on the youtube page for a female violinist: Vanessa Mae... the one in particular was a techno version of Vivaldi's "Storm" now i have to look out for more of her stuff in the stores when i go shopping...
Don't planto mihi adveho illac
illiad

Post by illiad »

GuySmiley wrote:
illiad wrote:
I'm not sure that makes it any better. A lot of people's worst fears would likely get them, or someone they care about, killed. Not having control of power like that could be very bad for relationships.
{groan} you need to do an archive binge, this is not RL, and it takes a LOT to get Monica going.... :P
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Ah, but when she does...

She takes demons by the throat.

EDIT: I would suggest the following comic is the first manifestation of Monica's Jaguar Girl capabilities.

(What is Doubt's worst fear? Being called a liar.)
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

jwhouk wrote:EDIT: I would suggest the following comic is the first manifestation of Monica's Jaguar Girl capabilities.
I've been wondering about that, ever since Monica told the Tar that astral fire doesn't hurt demons, but will hurt "interlopers"... was Monica using something other than astral fire,or was Doubt an interloper?
Catawampus

Post by Catawampus »

lake_wrangler wrote:I've been wondering about that, ever since Monica told the Tar that astral fire doesn't hurt demons, but will hurt "interlopers"... was Monica using something other than astral fire,or was Doubt an interloper?
Astral fire is from phoenix blood from the knife in her head, hwich happened later. So something other (but phonetically similar)
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

No, like I said: Doubt doesn't like being told she's a liar. And the "pants on fire" part was just M's emphasis of the fact.
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

jwhouk wrote:No, like I said: Doubt doesn't like being told she's a liar. And the "pants on fire" part was just M's emphasis of the fact.
But we know (and I don't have time to look for it) that Monica did put one or more of her demons on fire before, as was mentioned when she was informed that the rules had been changed (nose flick). So she had done some fiery stuff that harmed the demons (even if not permanently). Since she had no astral fire capabilities until the knife in her head, what exactly did she do to them, back then?