Someone You Need To Meet 2013-11-20

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
BikerScum

Re: Someone You Need To Meet 2013-11-20

Post by BikerScum »

Aaaaaaaaaand the threads converge...
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

...Georgette is still at Monica's place, Atsali recognises her, and, between a girl-crush, blank-minded fangirling and horrible embarrassment about her body-image, she goes blue-screen for at least one page.
Not even duct tape can fix stupid. But it can muffle the noise.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
Mark N

Post by Mark N »

Sidhekin wrote: Admittedly, we haven't been explicitly told that the "surgical gauze" or whatever she ended up using, was mundane, but we sure have no reason (yet) to think it's paranormal.
Bud said it was fabric wrapped tightly so I'm doubting gauze was used. I can tell you that a strong fabric (mundane Ace Bandage) if wrapped tightly and thickly enough (not much really) will take a D cup down to an A (natural not enhanced) depending on one very important factor, the density of the breasts. While some women have breasts that are hard and large, most seem to have a softer breast that can be compressed (ask any woman that has had a mammogram) but this will hurt quite a bit. :( The things you learn when you have dealt with people into all kinds of scenes. :ugeek:
This message is brought to you by the "Let the artist know how much you LOVE his work" council.
jayessell

Post by jayessell »

Da Bears probably got drafted into keeping Castella company while her big sister was in the clinic.
Maybe they'll all get to meet The Jaguar Girl.
Skruddgemire

Post by Skruddgemire »

DilyV wrote:Atsali: I'll be in my room... I'm never coming out!!!!

Drops a polygraph machine in the pun jar... after all... the truth is a terrible thing to hide. :lol: :lol: :lol:
I am eternally grateful that my three are off to college. That...that was too close to home for me. Not the "Busting out" bit...but that's so much like any time the youngest would rip into the oldest for her doing her thing and hanging around boys.

I swear if she even THOUGHT of kissing a boy the youngest came a runnin' to tell all.

I'm surprised that he's going in for Civil Engineering. I would have sworn Journalism with an eye for TMZ.
TheDOCTOR
Location: Pittsburgh,Pa. via Gallifrey, in Constallation of Kastaborus

Post by TheDOCTOR »

When Atsali meets Monica I wonder if Atsali will blurt out something such as "WOW! Your Boobs are even Bigger than Mine!" :o
scantrontb

Post by scantrontb »

zachariah wrote:Just curious I did some digging about Sirens. Someone mentioned earlier that Siren's were low on the pecking order. Not sure about that in Wapsi but Sali's line is Titan on the maternal side. She might be a sub-sub-sub-titan.There were never a lot of them so I doubt they can be swatted like flies by Phix or others. How the rest of the para world views them is open to debate. She hasn't really hidden her background and no one seems to be giving her a hard time about being a Siren either.
nah, I'll bet it ends up with the generic Sirens being more along the lines of the Elves in Larry Correia's MHI books.
Don't planto mihi adveho illac
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

Fairportfan wrote:...Georgette is still at Monica's place, Atsali recognises her, and, between a girl-crush, blank-minded fangirling and horrible embarrassment about her body-image, she goes blue-screen for at least one page.
Georgette might be the perfect company to help Atsali deal with body image issues, considering her time in the fashion trade. Monica for the set-up, Jet for the close.
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
loxmyth

Post by loxmyth »

OK, everyone: Ya called it. Well done.

I'm just wondering whether this arc will end with Atsali being issued her own Magic 8-Ball shirt. Not that she'd necessarily have the courage to wear it immediately, but for when she's ready... In some ways it's a perfect symbol of how Monica deals with her shape. "Yeah, they're big and they're real and they're sometimes inconvenient and some folks find them distracting. And I'm OK with that. It's me."
GuySmiley

Post by GuySmiley »

NOTDilbert wrote: And, we might accidentally meet her dead parents.....
This is the first thing I thought of. Monica may be a good/logical choice for bra/puberty/self-esteem consultant but that's not exactly the stuff on the resume of the "Jaguar Girl".

Since the legend of the Jaguar Girl, so far as we've been led to believe, mostly revolves around speaking to the dead I wonder if that thought would be more terrifying to a 15 year old orphan than the current situation.
"I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf mutes."
-The Laughing Man; GITS:SAC (originally from Holden Caulfield; Catcher in the Rye)
zachariah

Post by zachariah »

Monica can help her cope but that will not fix anything. Monica was harassed from third grade on about hers and even as a college student she was still getting it. It took her years to come to terms with them and accept herself as her self. SO talking with Monica will help there is no magic fix. Sali has a lot of thinking and adjusting to do. She is still going to have to deal with the issues and problems. But by accepting it and finding the good things about it she can cope.
Ambush questions are fun. Watching the mental impact of them as they distort, or crumble, opinions based on faulty logic.
Dave

Post by Dave »

DilyV wrote:Drops a polygraph machine in the pun jar... after all... the truth is a terrible thing to hide. :lol: :lol: :lol:
"The truth is out, there!" (Marketing slogan for the "X My Heart" bra)

Poor Atsali. If she had to choose between the ordeal of going through this sort of sudden physical transformation and dealing with the other kids' reactions, or being nearly crushed to death in a collapsing desert dwelling due to the machinations of a ten-thousand-year-old evil spirit... well, she might choose the crushing as being less stressful.
jayessell

Post by jayessell »

If they have their talk at the coffee shop, Tina can chime in on how cool it is to have wings.
Julie

Post by Julie »

Cue the flaming poit entrance music! :)
Sidhekin wrote:
davids4250 wrote:You beat me to it, Yamara! I'm surprised at the number of people who are reading a strip based on supernatural characters and who will find one relatively minor point and say, "That can't happen!"
Meanwhile, the characters are sprouting wings, horns, fangs, vines or who-knows-what all around the place.
But that is "normal".
See, it's a matter of internal consistency. And what is "normal" for paranormals, is not "normal" for the mundane.

Admittedly, we haven't been explicitly told that the "surgical gauze" or whatever she ended up using, was mundane, but we sure have no reason (yet) to think it's paranormal.

Hence, we write it down to art style. Hey, even in the first strip, M's head was bigger than her thigh. I tell you, the things we let these cartoonists get away with! 8-)
I wrote it off as comic physics...but art style sounds much classier. :) I think I'll amend my thoughts. ;)
Mark N wrote:
Sidhekin wrote: Admittedly, we haven't been explicitly told that the "surgical gauze" or whatever she ended up using, was mundane, but we sure have no reason (yet) to think it's paranormal.
Bud said it was fabric wrapped tightly so I'm doubting gauze was used. I can tell you that a strong fabric (mundane Ace Bandage) if wrapped tightly and thickly enough (not much really) will take a D cup down to an A (natural not enhanced) depending on one very important factor, the density of the breasts. While some women have breasts that are hard and large, most seem to have a softer breast that can be compressed (ask any woman that has had a mammogram) but this will hurt quite a bit. :( The things you learn when you have dealt with people into all kinds of scenes. :ugeek:
As someone who has used Ace Bandages for that kind of wrapping, I'd say you hit the nail on the head...though even if the breasts are soft enough to get them down to an A, I still feel like that extra tissue has to go somewhere. on me, it went up towards my neck and down towards my navel...so while "flatter" I had platter-sized "flat" breasts...which looks and feels awful and ridiculous. :P If you know anyone who had more success with wrapping, I may be jealous...these girls don't make shopping easy. :)
zachariah wrote:Monica can help her cope but that will not fix anything. Monica was harassed from third grade on about hers and even as a college student she was still getting it. It took her years to come to terms with them and accept herself as her self. SO talking with Monica will help there is no magic fix. Sali has a lot of thinking and adjusting to do. She is still going to have to deal with the issues and problems. But by accepting it and finding the good things about it she can cope.
True, but with an intelligent and respected role model, it's a lot easier to deal with the ugly people/comments and come to terms with how you look in a speedier fashion. :) M will definitely be helpful for that...and also be a sounding board for how to handle those ugly situations since she's "been there."
"Just open your eyes
And see that life is beautiful."
kingklash

Post by kingklash »

Not to undercut the drama and angst, but the last panel reminds me of Seinfeld, when Kramer was going into his "I'm hideous!!" bit, and the extra takes that were shown on the clip show, as he kept on milking the horror for all the laughs it was worth.

All seriousness aside, I think Shelly should chime in as well. She may not be "Chest of drawers with the top one halfway out," but she does have some perspective on standing out because of being born something other than those around you. Of course, Katherine and Monica would stop her from recommending shooting toy arrows at people, but that's the risk you take with a Comanche.
meisdadoo

Post by meisdadoo »

Ah, but the one thing that Monica can do that no one else can is take Atsali to her safe world where there are no interruptions form siblings or inner demons like doubt, etc. and have a heart to heart talk about being over-endowed with powers and abilities far above those of mere mortals. At least Atsali is tall enough for her bumpy bits, unlike the chesty pixy. . . .

And yes I sincerely hope Bud has the decency to tell Monica that there is a friendly paranormal at the mall that needs to meet her and get some advice on . . . . undergarments. Instead of the Tina thing and calling out for the pissed off Jaguar girl . .

And for some reason I can't get the image of the Purple Mantis out of my head . . . :lol:
Where are we going and why am I in this handbasket?
RDrd

Post by RDrd »

Looks like Mon is becoming the therapist for the cast.... first Bud and Brandi then Jet now Atsali.... she should start charging for sessions.
TheOtherOne wrote:I guess it's big time suspense of disbelief again. I mean, there is no way she could have bound those breasts that flat, but we're to believe she did.
Have you ever bound?

I was an e cup and got a less flat, but not that much less and that was while able to breathe. (I bound for about 3 years, I dont want to think about how tight she had to bind to actually pass out...).

Monica was a g/f cup at the start of the series* and atsali still looks a bit smaller than she was, so in the same ballpark as me. So, especially since she bound to the point of suffocating, it's a TOUCH too flat but not wholly unbelievable.

The proportions of this comic have never been perfectly lifelike. If you can forgive the unrealistic proportions, you can forgive an equally inaccurate portrayal of a bound chest.

* http://wapsisquare.com/comic/11122001/
Last edited by RDrd on Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sidhekin

Post by Sidhekin »

Hey, I just thought of another, if not quite mundane, then at least available solution: Have the MiB fix Atsali up with a career as a pop singer.

As a Siren, she should have the singing covered. And no one would even bother asking where the other assets came from; they'd "know". 8-)

(Yeah, I'm engaging in silliness. Just kidding, ribbing, and fibbing. Of course the gossip media would ask.)
perl -e 'print "Just another Perl ${\(trickster and hacker)},";'

The Sidhekin proves that Sidhe did it!
NOTDilbert

Post by NOTDilbert »

RDrd wrote: The proportions of this comic have never been perfectly lifelike. If you can forgive the unrealistic proportions, you can forgive an equally inaccurate portrayal of a bound chest.

* http://wapsisquare.com/comic/11122001/
I have been assuming that the 'unrealistic proportions' thing is the difference between a photograph and a cartoon - with a dose of 'rule of funny' every now and again.
"Imagination is more important than Knowledge" - Albert Einstein
"History doesn't repeat itself, but it DOES rhyme" - Mark Twain
"Always. Expect. Ninjas." - Syndey Scoville
ErinS2013

Post by ErinS2013 »

I'm totally digging where the plot is going with this. M will set her straight. :D