Stung by a Bee 2013-11-14

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
My2Cents

Re: Stung by a Bee 2013-11-14

Post by My2Cents »

I wonder how she sleeps on her back with her wings out?

I'm going to go for this being Atsali having a nightmare. She is sensitive about her cleavage, so over emphasising it would make sense.

If this isn't a dream, then she is more of a shapeshifter than a siren needs to be, so she may be something else instead, but thinks, or has convinced herself, that she is a siren for some reason.

Monica will definitely need to take her to see Lydia. It's a good thing Lydia liked a challenge, designing a bra that can go from an A to a G in under a minute is going to top the challenge of Monica sports bra. But I wonder how Monica will explain Atsali to her.
While misery loves company, chaos brings along friends.
MerchManDan

Post by MerchManDan »

JSStryker wrote:I'm guessing because it is in color it is a flashback to an earlier time after Katherine adopted them?
That's my guess too, unless Castela was denied that fancy new pot to sleep in.
"Give orange me give eat orange me eat orange give me eat orange give me you." - Nim the chimp
Animation courtesy of shadowinthelight (thanks again!)
JSStryker

Post by JSStryker »

Opus the Poet wrote:Watch out for flying buttons!

ETA Ninja'ed by less than a minute!
Mooooom, Atsali is shooting her buttons at me again!
Vive la weird!
Akasha

Post by Akasha »

now i SO wish i had this ability myself ...
zachariah

Post by zachariah »

JSStryker wrote:
Opus the Poet wrote:Watch out for flying buttons!

ETA Ninja'ed by less than a minute!
Mooooom, Atsali is shooting her buttons at me again!
Could they be a booby trap?
Ambush questions are fun. Watching the mental impact of them as they distort, or crumble, opinions based on faulty logic.
Skruddgemire

Post by Skruddgemire »

zachariah wrote:That isn't the onset of puberty. That is probably her first experience with an erotic dream. They can often be disturbing to a teenager until they figure out what they are, or have it explained. We also do not know what she dreamed. Was it a sexual dream? Or might it have been a dream of attracting and killing someone she had drawn in as a siren? The body change probably stemmed from the activity in her dream.

It is really funny that Pickle thought she had been stung by a bee. I wonder how Kathy explained that to her?
I doubt it was killing dream...the musical quality of her humming doesn't lend itself to it. Unless she's a sociopathic killer at heart which really doesn't fit the profile of what we've seen so far.

Erotic dream lends itself some credibility. I'm looking at a couple of possible triggers.

1. Seeing the twins and their "twins" may have given her some ideas or fantasies about what her life would be if she had some impressive sweater puppies. She may be imagining herself attracting a nice handsome boy with them. Both confusing her with her first erotic dream and inspiring her own expansion.

2. She may have been turned on by seeing the twins in big boob mode and dreamed about them. Which both confuses from the "first erotic dream" perspective as well as a newly discovered facet of her own sexuality. Either that she is leaning towards homosexuality, is bi-curious, heteroflexible, or at least just had a random homoerotic dream moment.

Either of which would be a tad confusing for a young girl. My daughter freaked right the @#$% out when she had one of those. Wife was on damage control for weeks reassuring her that her sexuality was what it was and if she really felt that she was heterosexual then she was heterosexual and that it was nothing more than an odd passing thought manifesting itself in a dream.

Either way that goes I doubt it'll be a problem with Kath. She's the sort that when she opens herself to someone and lets them in...she accepts them for who they are.
scantrontb

Post by scantrontb »

My2Cents wrote:I wonder how she sleeps on her back with her wings out?
either very painfully, if she just kinda rolls over on them when they aren't in the folded up position, or probably not too bad if she can fold them before rolling over. i think it wouldn't be much different from us sleeping on our sides with one of our arms underneath us. not really painful but if you twist them wrong, or start to cut off blood flow then it gets kinda painful, and you unconsciously shift positions.
I'm going to go for this being Atsali having a nightmare. She is sensitive about her cleavage, so over emphasising it would make sense.
nah, not a "nightmare" especially not with her snogging somebody... 3rd word in the panel two, combined with a very happy sounding singing in panel four. nope not a nightmare at all... :D
If this isn't a dream, then she is more of a shapeshifter than a siren needs to be, so she may be something else instead, but thinks, or has convinced herself, that she is a siren for some reason.
i don't think she's falsely thinking that. Remember, her parents died at an age where she still remembers them, so I'll bet she KNOWS she's a siren, but is having *normal* teen angst about puberty. hearing the twins go off and deriding girls that have a "big chest and small shirts" when she's probably looking for BIGGER ones for herself due to this, kinda got her ticked off, then when Pickle let that blurb out... yeah, I can just about see Atsali blushing into the far infra-red right about now... such that she unconsciously shifted forms... AND is now TOTALLY embarrassed.
Monica will definitely need to take her to see Lydia. It's a good thing Lydia liked a challenge, designing a bra that can go from an A to a G in under a minute is going to top the challenge of Monica sports bra. But I wonder how Monica will explain Atsali to her.
who says she NEEDS to explain? we have absolutely NO CLUE as to WHO her "Old Master" actually IS, do we?... He may be a paranormal that Lydia thought SHE was protecting MONICA from knowing about!...i mean, thinking about it, where the HECK did she *really* find out about how to make a non-newtonian fabric?!... another Paranormal, or maybe someone that has access to the Library perhaps? I wouldn't be at all surprised to find out that Lydia's Master's "Elite Guard" were possibly paranormals as well... and THAT revelation was what had Tina wide-eyed, NOT the whole "changing bra's in a sneaky way" that we all THOUGHT was what caused that look... to me her look is very similar to how she looked when Shelly came back from the time-forest... it would ALSO explain why Lydia has such an exclusive client list too... mostly paranormal with a few busty mundanes thrown in as camouflage... nothing in the comic so far, says that ALL paranormals MUST know about Monica's status, there's just too many people on the planet named Monica for Lydia to KNOW the "secret identity" of EVERY paranormal in the area, she might NOT know that M is "the Jaguar Girl"... Monica could have been recommended to her by MIB or some other paranormal "in the know" way back whenever she first started shopping there, all without Lydia knowing *exactly* who she is other than just another busty woman that needs a bra... and that's why she said that an "unnamed agency" bought the others... she was keeping the MIB secret from someone she didn't know was a paranormal from finding out about the MIB... but when Monica gets to bring in Atsali... THEN the cat will be let out of the bag with a "OMG.. YOU'RE the Jaguar Girl!!... OMG, omg... I've got YOU on my CLIENT LIST... ooh this is SO squee-worthy right now!!!... I've got a CELEBRITY on my CLIENT LIST!!! Woot!"
Don't planto mihi adveho illac
Skruddgemire

Post by Skruddgemire »

It also occurs to me that if this is the start of Erotic Dreams and an awakening sexuality (whatever form that manifests) she's going to want her own room soon.

Hope Pickle can handle that.
Sidhekin

Post by Sidhekin »

Skruddgemire wrote:1. Seeing the twins and their "twins" may have given her some ideas or fantasies about what her life would be if she had some impressive sweater puppies. She may be imagining herself attracting a nice handsome boy with them. Both confusing her with her first erotic dream and inspiring her own expansion.
1a. I don't think any healthy teen has ever needed shapechangers to stir up that kind of ideas or fantasies.

1b. I do think this is a flashback to the incident Pickle was referring to, and so happened before Atsali met the twins and their "twins". (Occam's razor doesn't readily apply to fiction, but I'd still hesitate to assume time loops.)
perl -e 'print "Just another Perl ${\(trickster and hacker)},";'

The Sidhekin proves that Sidhe did it!
Skruddgemire

Post by Skruddgemire »

Sidhekin wrote:1a. I don't think any healthy teen has ever needed shapechangers to stir up that kind of ideas or fantasies.
No but something like that can trigger another one.
1b. I do think this is a flashback to the incident Pickle was referring to, and so happened before Atsali met the twins and their "twins". (Occam's razor doesn't readily apply to fiction, but I'd still hesitate to assume time loops.)
Oh bollocks. I spaced it on that. Yeah...in that light, it's likely the flashback to when she got "all bumpy and curvy".

This is what happens when you're working nights, are posting when the phone is ringing off the hook for people who can't remember a password for more than 0.68 seconds.
zachariah

Post by zachariah »

Skruddgemire wrote:
Seeing the twins and their "twins" may have given her some ideas or fantasies about what her life would be if she had some impressive sweater puppies. She may be imagining herself attracting a nice handsome boy with them. Both confusing her with her first erotic dream and inspiring her own expansion.
You have a point. The Ursa twins going from Ursa Majors to Ursa Minors might disturb her just a bit. (You know big dippers and little dippers){I've been waiting for a chance to use that one. Drops a three dollar bill into the pun jar}
It brought back memories of that night and then with Pickle tossing her two cents in. Totally embarrassed.
Ambush questions are fun. Watching the mental impact of them as they distort, or crumble, opinions based on faulty logic.
eee

Post by eee »

What I find interesting is that Pickle has apparently seen or heard of someone having a REALLY bad reaction to a bee sting. And naturally assumed that Atsali becoming all bumpy and curvy and popping out of her pajamas was something similar.

Maybe Atsali IS allergic to bees, and she's swollen before.
WilliamCA

Post by WilliamCA »

I think what we saw here in this comic is the loss of control over Atsali's shape-shifting ability. She may have been dreaming about her original form and her unconscious mind turned off her shape changing ability, reverting her to her true form. Siren's were known for being busty, beautiful nymphs who could manipulate their forms into something that men would desire. Most likely Atsali dislikes her true form because it is inherently ugly to her and the mark of being a man-eater.
Catawampus

Post by Catawampus »

Yamara wrote:To be sure, I'd have to do internet things when I'm too tired, but I think with birdsong it's mostly socialization, ie conversation within the species.
It depends on the species, and tends to be a very complicated mixture of instinctive and learned behaviour. They all have the instinct to sing. Some seem to instinctively know a few basic simple proto-songs, but need to learn how to add all the fancy flairs to them. Others seem to just make random noises unless taught proper singing by another member of their species. And some learn the songs, but then instinctively modify the songs to make their own personal vocabulary. Ornithologists are still very busy trying to sort it all out, apparently.

For sirens, I'd expect that it only gets more weird. Especially given the added effects that siren songs are traditionally thought to have. I notice, though, that the singing didn't seem to have any dramatic effects on Castela, just waking her up. I suppose that it remains to be seen whether that is because Castela is a whatsit, because she's a female whatsit, or because Atsali hasn't fully accomplished her singing skills yet.
Yamara wrote:Should also note that this may have helped precipitate the clothes shopping excursion, which would only cause this to be so directly associated in Castela's mind.
Nah, the shopping event is some sort of scheduled and recurring event sponsored by the MIB. I doubt that they would have thrown it all together just for Atsali. The kids probably would have gone on it even without Atsali's nocturnal adventure, though that might have made it even more urgent that they take advantage of the shopping opportunity.
Catawampus

Post by Catawampus »

Bathorys Daughter wrote:I think Kath may need help on this, it not being the usual erotic dream consequences she may have experienced as a girl.
Wait, you mean that this isn't the normal way things happen for girls??
My2Cents wrote:It's a good thing Lydia liked a challenge, designing a bra that can go from an A to a G in under a minute is going to top the challenge of Monica sports bra. But I wonder how Monica will explain Atsali to her.
"See, I have this friend who. . .gets stung by bees. A lot."
Skruddgemire wrote:It also occurs to me that if this is the start of Erotic Dreams and an awakening sexuality (whatever form that manifests) she's going to want her own room soon.
She could stay in the same room. Just get Atsali an even larger pot for herself, one with a lid!
eee wrote:What I find interesting is that Pickle has apparently seen or heard of someone having a REALLY bad reaction to a bee sting. And naturally assumed that Atsali becoming all bumpy and curvy and popping out of her pajamas was something similar.
Perhaps Castela tends to blossom in the Springtime, and so has a lot of experience with bees and how people around her react to them.

Though hopefully the bees are decent enough to realise that she's still far too young to be pollinated. . .
Sphinx-Napped

Post by Sphinx-Napped »

HEHEH, perfect paul, best reaction
Punjar repair man, that recently up graded the pun jar to 2.0 now with self defense and and evil ai that will try to kill you, if you even try to hurt it for doing its job...
txmystic

Post by txmystic »

The store where they are shopping might be the correct one for Atsali's needs. We just saw one of the ursamorphs expand and contract and her shirt looks none the worse for wear...so if this is what will happen to Sali, she'll need that kind of versatility...
Julie

Post by Julie »

WilliamCA wrote:I think what we saw here in this comic is the loss of control over Atsali's shape-shifting ability. She may have been dreaming about her original form and her unconscious mind turned off her shape changing ability, reverting her to her true form. Siren's were known for being busty, beautiful nymphs who could manipulate their forms into something that men would desire. Most likely Atsali dislikes her true form because it is inherently ugly to her and the mark of being a man-eater.
This is kind of what I was thinking. I mean, yes...it could have been an erotic dream, but it also could been a dream where she was acting out her "traditional" role as Siren, meaning singing to lure someone to her. It seems logical (in so far as anything paranormal is logical) that she'd take on the most alluring form she could if she was acting in that role...and to her (or her "prey") that might mean larger breasts. You know, now that I really think about it, this could explain her embarassment with the twins. The idea of having a kid sister disclose an erotic dream would certainly be embarassing, but might it be even more so if she never admitted to anyone that the dream was of her being a Siren (as in actually acting like one). We've already started to pick up on the fact that she's at least somewhat ashamed of what she is. She might be worried that dreaming about it means she secretly wants to be this thing she consciously despises.

*shrugs* Just my thoughts on the possibilities here. :)
"Just open your eyes
And see that life is beautiful."
chicgeek

Post by chicgeek »

Atsali is probably envious of the twin's perfect control over their morphing,too.
DilyV

Post by DilyV »

eee wrote:What I find interesting is that Pickle has apparently seen or heard of someone having a REALLY bad reaction to a bee sting. And naturally assumed that Atsali becoming all bumpy and curvy and popping out of her pajamas was something similar.

Maybe Atsali IS allergic to bees, and she's swollen before.
We know Monica has!!!

Here: http://wapsisquare.com/comic/hornet-sting/

Continuing here: http://wapsisquare.com/comic/stunbutt/

and here: http://wapsisquare.com/comic/got-buns-hun/

Makes you wonder if that song would have hit it big if it had been about boobs...
You know that light at the end of the tunnel?

Yeah... it's a bullet. Sorry.