Someone We Like 2013-11-13

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
zachariah

Re: Someone We Like 2013-11-13

Post by zachariah »

Yamara wrote:One of my favorite reasons for growing up an only child, artfully illustrated.
It wasn't too bad growing up one of many. We worked out rules between us once we were all old enough in the rough and tumble way of kids. The nice part was knowing that if anyone messed with you the rest were on your side against some of the bullies. None of them wanted to mess with all of us at once. lol. Anyway the good times far outnumbered the bad times.
Ambush questions are fun. Watching the mental impact of them as they distort, or crumble, opinions based on faulty logic.
kingklash

Post by kingklash »

I have several relatives that were like Castela at that age. That young, there's only the basic self-editing software. The dynamic, on-the-fly stuff comes in one of the later updates.
zachariah

Post by zachariah »

GuySmiley wrote:A few people have suggested Shelly being a mentor to Atsali but I wonder if that would really work out. We don't know for sure where sphynxs and sirens fall in the pecking order of the paranormal world but I'm guessing the sirens aren't the ones to come out on top. Atsali was very quick to pour water on the idea of asking Phix for help at the beginning of that arc.
Sali did not want to involve Phix because she KNEW she was totally out of line in her actions. She was there on a monthly day visit permitted to the orphanage, not to engage in adventures with other users of the library. I'd be willing to be Sali had gotten in trouble by talking to other users of the library about adventures and her dreams. Phix would have know Sali's status and shut her down at once and kept her out of the adventure. So of course she did not want to see Phix at all. What makes me wonder still is why Kathy went along with Sali at all. Surely she knew Sali did understand using the library, but as an adventure buddy? I suspect Sali pushed things so fast Kathy didn't have time to react and put a stop to it. So there was no pecking order involved. Just a teenager getting into trouble and avoiding the people who could stop her.
Ambush questions are fun. Watching the mental impact of them as they distort, or crumble, opinions based on faulty logic.
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

kingklash wrote:I have several relatives that were like Castela at that age. That young, there's only the basic self-editing software. The dynamic, on-the-fly stuff comes in one of the later updates.
My friend Kim, whom Hanners in Questionable Content reminds me strongly of, was like that in her twenties - i often said that i didn't wish that [as a mutual friend once suggested after Kim began discussing her abortion in full voice in a Nashville McDonalds full of churchgoers on a Sunday morning] she had an on-off switch so much as i really longed for her to have a volume control.
Not even duct tape can fix stupid. But it can muffle the noise.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
Dave

Post by Dave »

kingklash wrote:I have several relatives that were like Castela at that age. That young, there's only the basic self-editing software. The dynamic, on-the-fly stuff comes in one of the later updates.
True 'nuff.

Also, the (important but sadly somewhat optional) emotional-impact-measurement module (tradenamed "See the situation through their eyes!") usually hasn't been installed yet. To say nothing of the "adolescent body-image sensitivity calibration" workup.
Julie

Post by Julie »

Wow. :shock: Well done Castela! This is right up there with when, as a 4 year old at one of my parent's parties, I apparently declared (to the amusement of the guests) that "boys have monkey tails, and girls have hineys" and "I know my daddy loves my mommy because he mooshes on her boobies" at which point I made kissy-sucky sounds to demonstrate what "mooshing" was. My parents started closing their bedroom door at night after one of the guests told them that over fits of laughter. :roll: Kids just don't know that there are supposed to be filters on sharing. :)

I am halfway wondering if Atsali's shame after Castela's declaration is less because her supposed lineage/form was described (loudly and thoroughly) and more because of Castela's theorizing on the nature of the dream and how that affected her form and movements. :P
zachariah wrote:
GuySmiley wrote:A few people have suggested Shelly being a mentor to Atsali but I wonder if that would really work out. We don't know for sure where sphynxs and sirens fall in the pecking order of the paranormal world but I'm guessing the sirens aren't the ones to come out on top. Atsali was very quick to pour water on the idea of asking Phix for help at the beginning of that arc.
Sali did not want to involve Phix because she KNEW she was totally out of line in her actions. She was there on a monthly day visit permitted to the orphanage, not to engage in adventures with other users of the library. I'd be willing to be Sali had gotten in trouble by talking to other users of the library about adventures and her dreams. Phix would have know Sali's status and shut her down at once and kept her out of the adventure. So of course she did not want to see Phix at all. What makes me wonder still is why Kathy went along with Sali at all. Surely she knew Sali did understand using the library, but as an adventure buddy? I suspect Sali pushed things so fast Kathy didn't have time to react and put a stop to it. So there was no pecking order involved. Just a teenager getting into trouble and avoiding the people who could stop her.
What zachariah said...but also if anyone would ignore the "pecking order" of paranormals, I'd bet it would be Shelly. :)
"Just open your eyes
And see that life is beautiful."
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

Julie wrote: What zachariah said...but also if anyone would ignore the "pecking order" of paranormals, I'd bet it would be Shelly. :)
She'd have to wait her turn after the Glyph Reader/Demon Shepherd/Jaguar Girl/Generally-Scary-All-Around-Paranormal-Badass.
Not even duct tape can fix stupid. But it can muffle the noise.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
txmystic

Post by txmystic »

Julie wrote:This is right up there with when, as a 4 year old at one of my parent's parties, I apparently declared (to the amusement of the guests) that "boys have monkey tails, and girls have hineys" and "I know my daddy loves my mommy because he mooshes on her boobies" at which point I made kissy-sucky sounds to demonstrate what "mooshing" was. My parents started closing their bedroom door at night after one of the guests told them that over fits of laughter.
That is friggin' hilarious.

I walked in on my parents by mistake one time and had to suffer a long "talk" from my mother explaining what exactly it was that I witnessed. My continued existence is proof that no higher power granted my fervent wish to have the earth swallow me up before she began.

But I don't think they ever had to worry about closing the door after that...I wasn't going near it
... :shock:
NOTDilbert

Post by NOTDilbert »

zachariah wrote: What makes me wonder still is why Kathy went along with Sali at all. Surely she knew Sali did understand using the library, but as an adventure buddy? I suspect Sali pushed things so fast Kathy didn't have time to react and put a stop to it. So there was no pecking order involved. Just a teenager getting into trouble and avoiding the people who could stop her.
Atsali is a Siren. Kath 'needed an adventure'. Kath followed the Siren's Song - whether Atsali was using it deliberately or unconsciously remains to be seen, but the fact remains that it is her power to influence people's behavior, often against their will. Kath was a willing subject in this case, at least til things got blowy-uppy.
"Imagination is more important than Knowledge" - Albert Einstein
"History doesn't repeat itself, but it DOES rhyme" - Mark Twain
"Always. Expect. Ninjas." - Syndey Scoville
GuySmiley

Post by GuySmiley »

Julie wrote:
zachariah wrote:
What zachariah said...but also if anyone would ignore the "pecking order" of paranormals, I'd bet it would be Shelly. :)
Yeah, not wanting to get caught would probably been a big part of it. I was just wondering if there was something more to it. As for 'pecking order' I didn't mean anyone specific, it was more related to how sphinxes get portrayed as 'top of the food chain' types.

Now that I think of it though, what would Phix have done if she knew Atslai, or any other visitor who isn't supposed to leave, wanted to sneak out? The library itself is the one with control of the gateways/exits. If you're not supposed to leave then I'm guessing there isn't anything you can do about it.
"I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf mutes."
-The Laughing Man; GITS:SAC (originally from Holden Caulfield; Catcher in the Rye)
ActionKermit

Post by ActionKermit »

Atsali wrote:Shut it, Castela!
When I was growing up, my family had a strict rule that we were not to say anything scornful or dismissive to another family member. Seeing Atsali talk that way to Pickle, even when upset, is making me :evil: .
TheDOCTOR
Location: Pittsburgh,Pa. via Gallifrey, in Constallation of Kastaborus

Post by TheDOCTOR »

Something occured to me early today and I just got back here to post this Inquiry :WHAT IF: Atsali had previously gotten all "Bumpy and Curvy" for a boy and he tried to do ...'Something Unpleasant' ? I think its just because I was thinking about Georgette and Monica's Storyline earlier but I sure hope to Heaven someone didn't try that on Our little Atsali. :evil:
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

txmystic wrote:
Julie wrote:This is right up there with when, as a 4 year old at one of my parent's parties, I apparently declared (to the amusement of the guests) that "boys have monkey tails, and girls have hineys" and "I know my daddy loves my mommy because he mooshes on her boobies" at which point I made kissy-sucky sounds to demonstrate what "mooshing" was. My parents started closing their bedroom door at night after one of the guests told them that over fits of laughter.
That is friggin' hilarious.

I walked in on my parents by mistake one time and had to suffer a long "talk" from my mother explaining what exactly it was that I witnessed. My continued existence is proof that no higher power granted my fervent wish to have the earth swallow me up before she began.

But I don't think they ever had to worry about closing the door after that...I wasn't going near it
... :shock:
Ah, the wonderful age of 4! It leads to such wonders as having a darling daughter wander down stairs in her nightgown, pulled up to her chest, sans panties, and announcing "I have three holes!"

The cocktail party had to wait for a while. Family came first.
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
zachariah

Post by zachariah »

TheDOCTOR wrote:Something occured to me early today and I just got back here to post this Inquiry :WHAT IF: Atsali had previously gotten all "Bumpy and Curvy" for a boy and he tried to do ...'Something Unpleasant' ? I think its just because I was thinking about Georgette and Monica's Storyline earlier but I sure hope to Heaven someone didn't try that on Our little Atsali. :evil:
If Sali had taken that form for a teenage boy in the hopes of attracting him said boy would probably take one look and flee in terror. Teenage boys do not know how to handle aggressive girls. Besides Sali is not the aggressive type, just your normal angsty teen.

There is also the chance Sali is reaching the point where taking on the Siren form will be dangerous to males. Often the Siren's drew men to their deaths.
Catawampus

Post by Catawampus »

If a third form of Atsali is bumpy and curvy, I wonder how long it has been so? Just since she hit puberty? Would it have been indistinguishable from the form she's currently in before then? Otherwise, having a "bumpy and curvy" and seductive seven-year-old Atsali would be. . .rather unsettling.