Fresher Already 2013-09-30

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
Fairportfan

Fresher Already 2013-09-30

Post by Fairportfan »

"Worst fear".

Obliging little cute thing, isn't she?
Not even duct tape can fix stupid. But it can muffle the noise.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
jwhouk

Re: Fresher Already 2013-09-30

Post by jwhouk »

Definitely.

However - I'm suddenly waiting for the other shoe to drop.

Like, say, a certain little girl having about 20 years or so of dealing with demons to catch up on.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
Dave

Post by Dave »

I'm not sure I'd want to ask her to do me any favors. :shock:

Now to see if she brings her feral, psychopathic side out into realsie-space. :?
zachariah

Post by zachariah »

jwhouk wrote:Definitely.

However - I'm suddenly waiting for the other shoe to drop.

Like, say, a certain little girl having about 20 years or so of dealing with demons to catch up on.
They don't have any shoes to drop so you'll be waiting a long time. No comes the moment of true where they bare all. Or 'No nudes is Bad nudes.'
Ambush questions are fun. Watching the mental impact of them as they distort, or crumble, opinions based on faulty logic.
Opus the Poet

Post by Opus the Poet »

Monica was doing what had to be done, by the only person that could do it. And as she said she wasn't just helping Jet, she was protecting Jet's covey as well. When justice and protection are up to just one person to enforce, it is good that the person not have any equivocation about what has to be done to protect what needs to be protected.
I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
Masterof7s

Post by Masterof7s »

Ah, good. The little padawan is learning.

All that touchy-feely, I'm okay, you're okay garbage has no place in a realm where the rule of law is that the strong dominate the weak.

Human perspective and rationale in the human realm, the way of beasts and strength in the feral lands.
zachariah

Post by zachariah »

This just made Monica realize that the way she reacted was correct and that sometimes you have to be hard and move without hesitation. The way she is now she no longer has the option to treat every situation is a reasoned way. Sometimes she just has to do it.

She is not a sociopath. She is like any person when faced with an extreme confrontation. Some people respond, some people freeze, some people die. Those who can shut down their feelings and are the ones that live and often bring others through the crisis alive. I saw this in combat. When the bullets start flying those who could act were the ones who kept everyone else alive that survived.

If she was a sociopath she would have done nothing except make sure the TAR could not hurt her. Without a reason she would have done nothing for the demons.
Ambush questions are fun. Watching the mental impact of them as they distort, or crumble, opinions based on faulty logic.
meisdadoo

Post by meisdadoo »

So mean Monica isn't mean at all, she just let the tar suffer from its own worst fears and consequences of its own actions. . . .
How very "God like" of her.

I am reminded of a quote from Paul's letter to the church in Rome
"If you do good, you have nothing to fear, But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for (she) beareth not the sword in vain: for (she) is the minister of God, a revenger to execute wrath upon him that doeth evil."

Which is good advice regardless of your religion or lack thereof. Do good and you have nothing to fear from the appointed guardians, do evil, and they will smite thee. . . .

All natural and supernatural beings take note; "Do not piss off Ms M."
8-)
Where are we going and why am I in this handbasket?
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

At the very least, when she comes-to, Georgette is probably going to puke up her lunch all over her.

It's what happened to Shel when she first had her in-depth meeting with Connie.
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
Mark N

Post by Mark N »

jwhouk wrote:At the very least, when she comes-to, Georgette is probably going to puke up her lunch all over her.

It's what happened to Shel when she first had her in-depth meeting with Connie.

Georgette may not even know what happened when she wakes up, but she will feel like the weight of the world has been lifted from her shoulders but will have no idea why.
But that is just a quick guess.
This message is brought to you by the "Let the artist know how much you LOVE his work" council.
NOTDilbert

Post by NOTDilbert »

Seems appropriate to now do a meet-n-greet among the covey, maybe a bit of counseling for the rape victims or something...
"Imagination is more important than Knowledge" - Albert Einstein
"History doesn't repeat itself, but it DOES rhyme" - Mark Twain
"Always. Expect. Ninjas." - Syndey Scoville
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

"Oh, and you must be Georgette's Doubt. Nice to meet you."
Mark N

Post by Mark N »

zachariah wrote:This just made Monica realize that the way she reacted was correct and that sometimes you have to be hard and move without hesitation. The way she is now she no longer has the option to treat every situation is a reasoned way. Sometimes she just has to do it.

She is not a sociopath. She is like any person when faced with an extreme confrontation. Some people respond, some people freeze, some people die. Those who can shut down their feelings and are the ones that live and often bring others through the crisis alive. I saw this in combat. When the bullets start flying those who could act were the ones who kept everyone else alive that survived.

If she was a sociopath she would have done nothing except make sure the TAR could not hurt her. Without a reason she would have done nothing for the demons.
I agree with you on all counts here. Part of the problem we are having here in the RW is that we keep attaching human conventions to the things that happen in the supernatural world. We keep forgetting that civilization as we know it is just an illusion. The moment that it becomes inconvenient we tend to loose all concept of civility. The idea that other life forms (no mater how intelligent) will share our ideals (and if you look at the news quite a few humans do not share them) is holding onto hope against hope (Not that I am not in hope that they will though).
This message is brought to you by the "Let the artist know how much you LOVE his work" council.
as363

Post by as363 »

Made a comment yesterday about what was happening to Tar - Don't need to repeat it now - but I ended it with '"You go Girl" . I'm glad to see that she did. Now there's the matter of Jets' rehab. Hopefully - with that nasty S.O.B.gone - and the other demons that she still has aware of what could happen to them if Mon checks in later and doesn't like what she sees .

Jet may or may not have any lingering memories of what has just transpired - but a certain Barista is still available for a warm cuppa - some baked nibbles - and a friendly ear.
TlalocW

Post by TlalocW »

Personally, I'd rather have eyes of the hawk, ears of the wolf, strength of the bear, and speed of the puma... but hey, if sociopath, lion, and cobra work...

TlalocW
shadowinthelight

Post by shadowinthelight »

I knew Mon hadn't turned to evil herself, it is nice to have it confirmed.
TlalocW wrote:Personally, I'd rather have eyes of the hawk, ears of the wolf, strength of the bear, and speed of the puma...
You forgot the sentient, transforming horse sidekick.
Julie, about Wapsi Square wrote:Oh goodness yes. So much paranormal!

Image My deviantART and YouTube.
I'm done thinking for today! It's caused me enough trouble!
Jay-Em

Post by Jay-Em »

Called it!

*leans back, smug as Nudge* :P

Dave wrote:I'm not sure I'd want to ask her to do me any favors. :shock:

Now to see if she brings her feral, psychopathic side out into realsie-space. :?
Nope, "Sociopathological". Paul is quite correct in letting M call herself basically "a sociopath out of neccesity" in C-Space.

Psychopaths are different from Sociopaths. The rough&short version: Psychopaths act on a whim, are often not very smart, and delight in the suffering of others, with the suffering sec, as their goal.

Sociopaths are -more often than not- scary intelligent, do not specifically enjoy torturing, or killing. Only if it serves their purpose. A sociopath is the smiling, véry socially apt "friendly guy" úntil things do not go as they planned/manipulated. Thén all Hell breaks loose. And to boot, they lack ány empathy. (There's a reason that research amongst CEO's and higher Management resulted in finding quite a few people with serious Sociopathological tendencies. I'll look the link up when I have some time)

Psychopats are just nuts, and do not really scare me. Sociopaths, especially those with overarching narcissism, scare the bejeezus outta me.

Well.. the above is the result of knowledge aquired through several family-members that are active in psychology and psyciatry. I'm kindof the "dumby" in my family, not having finished Uni and such.. :lol:
Last edited by Jay-Em on Mon Sep 30, 2013 1:30 am, edited 2 times in total.
but, why 42?
---------------
Against the assault of laughter nothing can stand. (S. Clemens)
TheSkulker

Post by TheSkulker »

meisdadoo wrote:So mean Monica isn't mean at all, she just let the tar suffer from its own worst fears and consequences of its own actions. . . .
I think I have to disagree with the crowd here. Monica did not just " let the tar suffer from its own worst fears" but took the initiative to bring those fears into play. Specifically she said, "I know how much you like shoving things inside others. Let me return the favor!"

What purpose did that serve? What was the benefit of Tar dying painfully vs just dying? If none that sociopathic behavior label sticks (as she admitted herself). BTW, before someone shouts "touchy feely", I am not suggesting that Monica should have spared Tar, only asking what was gained by the method. Other than a setting possible example for the other demons, I don't see any.
Last edited by TheSkulker on Mon Sep 30, 2013 1:25 am, edited 2 times in total.
We want to see the unexpected! The strange and terrible!
A dream merely soothes - but our nightmares make us run!
GG 07-15-13
DilyV

Post by DilyV »

The wording in Monica's bubble in the first panel sounds a little off... just the way she says "I facilitated that it was Tar's worst fear"... It might sound a little better if she said "I just facilitated that which was he Tar's worst fear..." making it sound that she actually reflected that fear back in on itself. The first way sounds like she "figured it out" the second, like she actually did something with the knowledge by reflecting it back at the Tar and building on it... basically scaring the Tar to death with it's own fears.
You know that light at the end of the tunnel?

Yeah... it's a bullet. Sorry.
Bathorys Daughter

Post by Bathorys Daughter »

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't being a sociopath a bad thing? As I see this she is admitting she has just crossed over to the dark side and is loving it. I suppose this serves as a demonstration to the demons as well. Step out of line and she will show you no mercy either. As if the sphinxes weren't enough to be afraid of. Even take delight in watching them suffer from their own worst fear while she snuffs them with no remorse. She is just another monster, like Phix. She is officially no longer human. Humans will now become her playthings, also just like Phix and her boss. This does not bode well for Kevin. Monica is immortal, he is not. She is a demi-god, he is not. And now, she is a confirmed sociopath he is not. At least Shelly's BF is in the same general league as her. To think these now verified sociopathic tendencies will not spill over to the real world would be wishful thinking. At least to me.

I suppose now we wait for her to be put through trials to prove to herself she has the heart of a lion and the speed of a cobra. Shortly thereafter the Wizard of Oz will confer on her medals to confirm her achievements.
A society should not be judged on how it treats its outstanding citizens but by how it treats its criminals... ~ Fyodor Dostoevsky.