The Wrong Girl 2013-09-24

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
DilyV

Re: The Wrong Girl 2013-09-24

Post by DilyV »

The Tar is about to get a lesson on what it is to be well and truly fucked.

On an off note, I'd bought Paul's 'Girl on Fire' print a while back... looks like I got the wrong one because Monica is really on fire here!!!
You know that light at the end of the tunnel?

Yeah... it's a bullet. Sorry.
Nibster

Post by Nibster »

shadowinthelight wrote:
My2Cents wrote:You know, Monica can save some money while still having a really fantastic Halloween costume.
Except that she would melt all her candy. :(
You grab some camp forks, I'll get the marshmallows. She can have s'mores instead.
Cyberpawz

Post by Cyberpawz »

zachariah wrote:
My2Cents wrote:You know, Monica can save some money while still having a really fantastic Halloween costume.
And the first guy to hit on her using the line, "Boy you look hot!' will end up getting his ash kicked.

Besides with her concern about wardrobe failures she would not wear a costume where she is nude out in public. What if the fire goes out? Can you see the headlines???

'PIXIE WITH A RACK CAUSES RIOT ON HALLOWEEN NIGHT"
Aww... what's the fun in that. She is hot :p
MerchManDan

Post by MerchManDan »

txmystic wrote:
MerchManDan wrote:Although we don't know for sure how powerful the tar is. This confrontation may not be completely one-sided, regardless of Mon's current state.
If Hate and Anger can keep it in check, maybe it'll be no problem for Phoenix Girl.
Hm, true. But then, according to Guidance, the tar has most of 'Jets other demons under its thumb (so to speak). If it sends them as cannon fodder against Mon, things could get very messy indeed.
"Give orange me give eat orange me eat orange give me eat orange give me you." - Nim the chimp
Animation courtesy of shadowinthelight (thanks again!)
CPUGuy1

Post by CPUGuy1 »

HOLY FRIJOLES ... Love the Colors ...
Been a while since there was a color post. Do miss it.

Oh, by the way ... better find a better hiding place 'Tar Demon'.
Is The Earth On A Diet?
With just one million people losing weight,
so after each one had lost 'one pound' ...
will the earth weigh 1,000,000 pounds less?
Julie

Post by Julie »

Holy poo on a stick! :shock: What is Monica turning into?? Why does it feel like this is way beyond the scope of her Jaguar Girl powers? And when did she get exposed to something that allowed her to turn into stone? Exciting as this is, I'm a little unnerved by how much she has changed and how powerful this implies she may be (not saying I don't like it...it's just a little spooky).

Also...very intrigued to see if anyone does try to limit her to a "jurisdiction" in the foreseeable future.
MerchManDan wrote:Although we don't know for sure how powerful the tar is. This confrontation may not be completely one-sided, regardless of Mon's current state.
As I recall, tar is a pretty flammable substance. If Tar is anything like its namesake, then this battle will definitely be one-sided. :P
"Just open your eyes
And see that life is beautiful."
Dave

Post by Dave »

Julie wrote:Holy poo on a stick! :shock: What is Monica turning into?? Why does it feel like this is way beyond the scope of her Jaguar Girl powers? And when did she get exposed to something that allowed her to turn into stone? Exciting as this is, I'm a little unnerved by how much she has changed and how powerful this implies she may be (not saying I don't like it...it's just a little spooky).
My guess here is that we're seeing the full effect of the Phoenix blood which Bia used to make the stabby key-blade. This may be Monica's first true transfomation into her sub-Titan form.

I'm reminded that in Tibetan Buddhism, most of the deities are portrayed in two strikingly different forms... beneficent, and wrathful. Even "good" and merciful deities can have very scary "wrathful" aspects... typically described as driving away evil or delusion.

Here, we see Monica taking up her wrathful aspect... Goddess of the Assaulted, Protector of the Wronged.

And, I completely agree with the common sentiment here... fantastic, fantastic color art in these strips! Scary Monica in Flames is wonderful! I hope Paul does a full-page special of her in this mode... if not I think I'll need to order a print of one of these dailies.
As I recall, tar is a pretty flammable substance. If Tar is anything like its namesake, then this battle will definitely be one-sided. :P
Yeah, tar burns nicely. It evaporates, too... lighter and more volatile fractions first. If Tar has insinuated itself deep into Georgette's emotional psyche over the years, its destruction could be rather tumultuous and traumatic for 'Jet... although she might just murmer sleepily "Monica... distill my beating heart."

(Donates an oxyacetylene torch to the Pun Jar)
dex drako

Post by dex drako »

ActionKermit wrote:I CAN FORGE *WORLDS* WITH MY POWER. I CAN UNMAKE YOU.

The question at issue here isn't whether M can win at this point, it's whether she can do it without obliterating the demons and shredding Jet's soul in the process.
yeah that's about my line of thought as well...
analyst

Post by analyst »

Isn't the aspect of a phoenix (which I understand M is), that they turn to fire and burn themselves up. And then rise from the ashes. If so, it looks like her phoenix-ness is being exercised.
Dave

Post by Dave »

analyst wrote:Isn't the aspect of a phoenix (which I understand M is), that they turn to fire and burn themselves up. And then rise from the ashes. If so, it looks like her phoenix-ness is being exercised.
That's what they do at the end of each lifetime... and Monica has already done it twice (Bud's heart-punch and Phix's faceripping).

In some mythological tales and associations, the fiery aspect of the phoenix is not limited to the time of its resurrection... it's a fire-bird throughout its life. Some cultures seem to have considered the phoenix to be a solar spirit... and it has also been seen as a protector.

These trends do seem to be in play here, in what Monica is manifesting.
kingklash

Post by kingklash »

I wonder what defenses Tar is going to have? She may hiding her own light under a bushel, so as not to garner attention.
Yamara

Post by Yamara »

kingklash wrote:I wonder what defenses Tar is going to have? She may hiding her own light under a bushel, so as not to garner attention.
The usual for such types. She has hostages.
PunPalsm the fastest way to pay the pun jar

Do Not Taunt Happy Fun Baal.
Mark N

Post by Mark N »

Dave wrote:
analyst wrote:Isn't the aspect of a phoenix (which I understand M is), that they turn to fire and burn themselves up. And then rise from the ashes. If so, it looks like her phoenix-ness is being exercised.
That's what they do at the end of each lifetime... and Monica has already done it twice (Bud's heart-punch and Phix's faceripping).

In some mythological tales and associations, the fiery aspect of the phoenix is not limited to the time of its resurrection... it's a fire-bird throughout its life. Some cultures seem to have considered the phoenix to be a solar spirit... and it has also been seen as a protector.

These trends do seem to be in play here, in what Monica is manifesting.
That goes with Paul's foreshadowing here as he has called her Sunshine for so many years.
This message is brought to you by the "Let the artist know how much you LOVE his work" council.
My2Cents

Post by My2Cents »

Yamara wrote:
kingklash wrote:I wonder what defenses Tar is going to have? She may hiding her own light under a bushel, so as not to garner attention.
The usual for such types. She has hostages.
An interesting thought, Monica/Jaguar Girl is the demon shephard. One of a shephard's duties is to protect the flock, which in this case is demons, i.e. Georgette's. This might be a demon hostage rescue mission, with Monica playing the part of a SOCOM/SWAT team.

As for the effect on Georgette, if Anger and Hate are the only demons that can keep the Tar in check, then those are the emotions she has been mostly feeling with little contribution from the others, and most likely they have been directed inwardly on herself. That's depression.
While misery loves company, chaos brings along friends.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Mark N wrote:That goes with Paul's foreshadowing here as he has called her Sunshine for so many years.
True... and that would explain why Georgette had a smile on her face.
DilyV

Post by DilyV »

I've spoken repeatedly about how we've really not seen the complete listing of Monica's powers now that she's a sub-titan... I don't think Monica even knows and is just as surprised as the rest of us when her emotions manifest new and wonderful aspects of herself. I'd imagine she's rather like Neo in the Matrix...

Monica: "Whoa....."

Remember when Monica set Jin's demon's ass on fire? I think Tar is about to learn what that is like...
You know that light at the end of the tunnel?

Yeah... it's a bullet. Sorry.
meisdadoo

Post by meisdadoo »

The wrong girl, kinda reminds my of:

http://static.fjcdn.com/pictures/Chose+ ... 780958.jpg

and

http://empowermentexperience.com/wp-con ... opass.jpeg

and quite possibly (if you are old enough to recognize a "Tar baby") this:

http://img0.etsystatic.com/005/0/744457 ... 8_e8a5.jpg
Where are we going and why am I in this handbasket?
Sidhekin

Post by Sidhekin »

DilyV wrote:Remember when Monica set Jin's demon's ass on fire? I think Tar is about to learn what that is like...
That was her own Doubt, actually. (And before she was poited first into Jin and then to even Jin knows not where.)

Monica dispelled Jin's demon with a sharp pencil.

Oh, and your current avatar? One of my favourite Tina moments. Out of the darkness ... just remember to read the next page as well. ;-)
perl -e 'print "Just another Perl ${\(trickster and hacker)},";'

The Sidhekin proves that Sidhe did it!
Swedish Chef

Post by Swedish Chef »

M has a thing for lava, as Nudge discovered. Which brings me to...She was tricked the first time, who said that hollow mask isn't the one pulling the strings this time and is to be trusted?.

Re: Posters: Is that steam I'm seeing on Mon's specs in the standing drawing :)?. The looking at something(one) specific eyes...kinky.
Lurk lurk lurk!
KnightDelight

Post by KnightDelight »

I think Monica is having a bit too much of a knee-jerk reaction here. She looks like she is about to end the Tar's existence without even knowing it's origin or motives. or if someone else is controlling it for that matter. After all, what if all she knew of the GG's past, for example, was that they destroyed millions. Assuming she had the capability to destroy them, she would be making a grave error if she did so. Not unlike Phix and the vampires. She would kill them without hesitation even though those particular ones, like the GGs, were reformed and doing good (well, Lily was reformed anyway. Suzy, not so much). In this way she seems to be becoming like Phix. Kill first, never ask questions/devour later. Absolute power, and all that. Were she still plain old Monica, she would take the more cerebral route first.

A great plot twist at this point would be to have her still overwhelmed by the Tar, even though she is in full on Turbo-JG++ mode. Allowing it it's day in court before the execution. Such a thing would also teach her to size up her quarry better before launching into them.
DANGEROUSLY UNDER-MEDICATED
If we are what we eat, then I'm easy, fast, and cheap