Our Guest 2013-09-17

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
MerchManDan

Re: Our Guest 2012-9-17

Post by MerchManDan »

Guidance reminds me of C-3PO. Not likely what Paul intended, but that's the impression I get.
NOTDilbert wrote:there's a swimming pool in Jet's head?
After this summer, I can relate to the feeling. ;)
"Give orange me give eat orange me eat orange give me eat orange give me you." - Nim the chimp
Animation courtesy of shadowinthelight (thanks again!)
Dr. Otter

Post by Dr. Otter »

I think I get it. Unlike Brandi's occupant, which was ancient and wise enough to stay hidden, the Tar has been around for less than 20 years, having been created at the plane crash. It hasn't learned to moderate its behavior to avoid detection. You might say this Tar is a New Gooey.

If you need me, I'll be taking out a second mortgage for the pun jar for that one.
Be the role model she'll always remember. Be a Girl Scout volunteer today!
ActionKermit

Post by ActionKermit »

DilyV wrote:Covey of demons... Called it!!! Here: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1189#p23312

Now that we know that Jet is another covey of demons, we need to figure out if Jet is still in there at all or if she'd given up the ship to the rats so to speak. My mind keeps going back to what Tina said about Jet's sister, covered in blood, but not her own blood... I can't shake the feeling that it was Jet's blood... the majority of it anyway... and that Jet either died and the rats took over, or she wanted to die and just gave up control to her demons.

We also need to figure out if she is the 'other' that Phix mentioned that was like Tina.

So, Monica and the Tar are outsiders in this closed system. The tar does seem Nu Gui like, doesn't it? But we know that the Nu.... gui... Wait a minute... hold the phone... A nu gui is formed from the soul of an innocent that is killed under violent circumstances. The nu gui isn't ready to move on... so it manifests as a malevolent entity... it can't be the nu gui we've already seen... that one never made contact with Jet OR Monica... so this has to be something created in that plane crash or picked up along the way somehow... According to Anger and Guidance, the Tar doesn't belong... they don't say how long it's been there or if it came in with Monica. I'm still leaning towards the Tar being all the emotions of greed, lust, want, need... manifesting into a malevolent entity somehow, similar to the nu gui.
I dunno. We know that M is inside the space that Jet's covey resides in, but I don't think that necessarily means that Jet's soul has passed on. The impression I got from when Shelly and Connie were talking about the coven/covey distinction is that 'covey' is the term that gets used to refer to any team of demons assigned to a person, regardless of whether a soul is present or absent. A ship can have rats regardless of whether or not it has a captain, to borrow Tina's favorite metaphor.
Aed

Post by Aed »

I wonder if the 'Tar' might be related to Armus?
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Sidhekin wrote:The Tar is not supposed to be "in" there. No demon, apparently.

I'm considering the possibility, as first (I believe) noted by scantrontb, of the Nu-Gui branching out. Occam's Razor doesn't apply well to fiction, though ...
"The Tar" may be something Jet has flirted with, but never really wanted to hold on to...

Oh.

OH.

Please rewind back to here for a moment - last panel... Tina mentioned briefly "oh, your parents were killed in a plane crash and you got the blood all over you."

Someone else looked awfully murky and inky when THEY burst onto the scene - right after someone else said "Sweetie, you threw yourself in front of a bus."

I bet that, if "Tar" could speak, it would say it was one of Tsillah's evil twins.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
KnightDelight

Post by KnightDelight »

ActionKermit wrote:I dunno. We know that M is inside the space that Jet's covey resides in, but I don't think that necessarily means that Jet's soul has passed on. The impression I got from when Shelly and Connie were talking about the coven/covey distinction is that 'covey' is the term that gets used to refer to any team of demons assigned to a person, regardless of whether a soul is present or absent. A ship can have rats regardless of whether or not it has a captain, to borrow Tina's favorite metaphor.
Yeah, I think it's too early to say one way or the other. If she is just a covey of demons, why doesn't she know it like Tina does? OTOH, like Tina's demons, Georgette's demons seem to be pretty nice, unlike Monica's or Jin's demons. As I see it, we don't have her soul handling this situation because the soul doesn't reside in Demon (or Covey, whatever) Space. It's probably blissfully unaware of it all. Further clarification is needed.

One thing that seems to be clear at the moment; Monica is not physically in this place and probably only metaphysically there due to her Jaguar abilities. The Demon/Covey Realm seems to be a physical place with physical beings given that Nudge and Maya were in there. Plus the demons themselves seem to have both physical and metaphysical properties. At the very least they are able to change their shape, or at least appear to, at will.
DANGEROUSLY UNDER-MEDICATED
If we are what we eat, then I'm easy, fast, and cheap
Dave

Post by Dave »

txmystic wrote:Anger sounds angry...I suppose she can't sound any other way.
Oh, I'm sure she has plenty of emotional scope and range in her communications.
  • Angry.
  • Furious.
  • Mildly irritated.
  • Thoroughly pissed off.
  • 'Roid ragin'
  • Slightly miffed.
  • Steamed.
  • Homicidally amok.
Reminds me a bit of Dinsdale Piranha... it's the sarcasm, you see.
DilyV wrote:Covey of demons... Called it!!! Here: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1189#p23312

Now that we know that Jet is another covey of demons, we need to figure out if Jet is still in there at all or if she'd given up the ship to the rats so to speak.
We know that Georgette has a covey of demons. From the discussions in the strip about demons some years ago, I have the impression that this is true of most humans, and perhaps even all humans. They're "locked in" (Tina's term) and don't manifest to their human as individual entities... just as psychological pressures and influences and emotional states (and torments, in extreme cases).

This would be consistent with Guidance's comment that they never get visitors, and Anger's question about how Monica got into wherever they are. This covey is used to being in isolation within Georgette... and this, to me, seems inconsistent with the idea that Georgette herself is dead/gone and that these demons are "running the ship."
TlalocW

Post by TlalocW »

I hope Monica liked the ending of, "The Sixth Sense," when the kid decides he's going to help dead people move on because it looks like as the Demon Shepard, she's going to have a similar occupation - maybe not exactly the same, but she'll be dealing with supernatural entities as one of the few who can interact with them in their environment, getting them to play nicely or maybe having to take one out.

TlalocW
Aleister Crow

Post by Aleister Crow »

Demon Realm - Physical dimension where demons come from.
Covey-space - Non-physical mental "space" inside/attached to the mind of the demons' host.

Am I close?
Whoever coined the phrase "more fun than a barrel of monkeys" obviously never spent an afternoon cramming the little buggers into one.
DilyV

Post by DilyV »

Aleister Crow wrote:Demon Realm - Physical dimension where demons come from.
Covey-space - Non-physical mental "space" inside/attached to the mind of the demons' host.

Am I close?
Spot on I'd say.

Also, notice how similar the background in Covey-Space looks to Tsillah's shadow clothing that she conjured up for Shelly and Justin.
Last edited by DilyV on Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
You know that light at the end of the tunnel?

Yeah... it's a bullet. Sorry.
Julie

Post by Julie »

:) I think I like Anger. She makes me giggle. I'd definitely be interested to see what other demons Jet has tucked away in mer mind.

Also...definitely intrigued by the whole "The Tar doesn't belong here" revelation. :) This looks like it could get really interesting. I'm not sure where I stand on some of the theories you all are putting forth right now, but it all seems pretty plausible (for the time being at least :P).

Now that we know that Jet is another covey of demons, we need to figure out if Jet is still in there at all or if she'd given up the ship to the rats so to speak. My mind keeps going back to what Tina said about Jet's sister, covered in blood, but not her own blood... I can't shake the feeling that it was Jet's blood... the majority of it anyway... and that Jet either died and the rats took over, or she wanted to die and just gave up control to her demons.
Not necessarily. Jet has a covey of demons. It would be fair to say that a lot of humans (if not all of them) have a covey of demons. What else would you call the collection of demons inside Monica? A group that isn't a covey? :) I think "covey" is just the term for a group...like a flock of birds or a herd of cattle...I don't think it means anything more or even is intended to imply status akin to Tina's situation. (And apparently Action Kermit and a few others beat me to this distinction. :P)
"Just open your eyes
And see that life is beautiful."
Dave

Post by Dave »

Am I close?
Seems right.

Coveys of California quail are well-known for taking daily communal dust baths... they burrow into soft soil in a sunny spot, stir up the dust and fluff it all about. Georgette's covey is being portrayed in an environment that resembles a dust storm. Is this coincidence, or is Georgette related to J. Danforth Quayle?
DilyV

Post by DilyV »

jwhouk wrote:
Sidhekin wrote:The Tar is not supposed to be "in" there. No demon, apparently.

I'm considering the possibility, as first (I believe) noted by scantrontb, of the Nu-Gui branching out. Occam's Razor doesn't apply well to fiction, though ...
"The Tar" may be something Jet has flirted with, but never really wanted to hold on to...

Oh.

OH.

Please rewind back to here for a moment - last panel... Tina mentioned briefly "oh, your parents were killed in a plane crash and you got the blood all over you."

Someone else looked awfully murky and inky when THEY burst onto the scene - right after someone else said "Sweetie, you threw yourself in front of a bus."

I bet that, if "Tar" could speak, it would say it was one of Tsillah's evil twins.
Judging from the times we've seen Tsillah in shadow form, like here: http://wapsisquare.com/comic/together/ you may be right.
You know that light at the end of the tunnel?

Yeah... it's a bullet. Sorry.
Wdot

Post by Wdot »

I'm enjoying everyone's comments. This arc has kept me spinning from the start, so I don't have much to say other than I'm over in the corner drinking coffee and listening to the conversations.
Make the wrong things difficult, and the right things easy. Notice the smallest change and the slightest try and reward him.
----Ray Hunt
zachariah

Post by zachariah »

DilyV wrote:

Am I close?
Spot on I'd say.

Also, notice how similar the background in Covey-Space looks to Tsillah's shadow clothing that she conjured up for Shelly and Justin.
Geee. I think I just managed to create a new term for the forum. Covey-Space, (CSpace for short). LOL. First time I've done that.

I think it's also a good bet the demon doorway is in this space as well. Each person has their own inviolate CSpace to hold their demons and the portal. It's supposed to be safe from anything else entering it. This almost has to involve Monica's abilities to work with demon's, and cross over. She has the ability to travel to, and affect, other realms, or levels, of existance.
Ambush questions are fun. Watching the mental impact of them as they distort, or crumble, opinions based on faulty logic.
starkruzr

Post by starkruzr »

I would REALLY like to know WTF is going on outside Jet's head right now.

Is M just catatonic out there, or what?
Sphinx-Napped

Post by Sphinx-Napped »

Well.. monica, let see how deep this demon covey goes...

/sitsback and puts on his g-force speed belt... there all strapped in!
Punjar repair man, that recently up graded the pun jar to 2.0 now with self defense and and evil ai that will try to kill you, if you even try to hurt it for doing its job...
bmonk

Post by bmonk »

NOTDilbert wrote:Ya know, clotting blood is kinda black and tarry, like you see on plane crash victims....Can a mental image be so strong that it takes on an existence of it's own?

*edit* PS - there's a swimming pool in Jet's head?
So, the Tar might be post-traumatic stress disorder?
Dave wrote:../
Reminds me a bit of Dinsdale Piranha... it's the sarcasm, you see.
I always thought it was the litotes.
"He used (heavy pause, terror in his eyes) ... sarcasm ... dramatic irony, metaphor, pathos, puns, parody, litotes and ... ... satire."
Dave

Post by Dave »

bmonk wrote:So, the Tar might be post-traumatic stress disorder?
Close, very close... but no cigar.

Georgette is a supermodel. She succeeded in her career after surviving a terrible airplane crash as a child.

Have you seen some of those horrid creations that models have to wear, and make look attractive?

It's obvious. The Tar is a personification of Georgette's post-traumatic dress disorder.
Jay-Em

Post by Jay-Em »

Hmmm.. I dunno.. There's something about the background. I see water, I see snow.

Did Jet's parent's plane crash in winter, was it a water plane of some kind?

This may sound odd, but I have the distinct feeling that Jet has not dealt with her loss, but had it locked inside, kindof "frozen in time". Especially her rather severe & uncontrolled reaction to Tina's prying makes me feel that it has festered into something bad --> the Tar...

*shrugs* i've been quite consistently wrong afa Wapsisquare's complex characters go, so, we'll see hów far I am out this time.. :P
but, why 42?
---------------
Against the assault of laughter nothing can stand. (S. Clemens)