No Excuse 2013-09-16

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
jwhouk

No Excuse 2013-09-16

Post by jwhouk »

Aaaand Demons.

I should point out, we've just had three named: "tar", anger and Guidance.

The Demon Shepherd just found her second role.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
Opus the Poet

Re: No Excuse 2013-09-16

Post by Opus the Poet »

Yep, this looks like Jet's demons M is interacting with.
I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
DilyV

Post by DilyV »

We know that Monica is the Demon Shepherd... my question is... Has she ever been fully instructed on the length and breadth of her powers and exactly what her abilities actually ARE? I agree... Guidance appears similar in appearance to Jet...

I'm wondering if this is the next step in Monica's training and things got out of (or in to) hand?

Is it just me, or has this transferred from a dream realm to an astral realm? Was it ever a dream realm? Is the only way to enter the astral realm, unconscious?

We've met Tar... how long before we meet Nic?

*Tosses an e-cig in the pun jar for good measure. A bottle of Goo Gone too because Monica's gonna need it to get the tar off her...*
Last edited by DilyV on Mon Sep 16, 2013 2:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
You know that light at the end of the tunnel?

Yeah... it's a bullet. Sorry.
KnightDelight

Post by KnightDelight »

Whoa! We're in the demon realm? And there are good demons? Who knew demons could care if someone got raped? You'd think they would have enjoyed it. Especially Lust and Fear. Monica doesn't seem quite as powerful as we thought. Or as she thought for that matter. This should be interesting. I wonder if Tar is a female demon? It would seem so if the past demons shown is anything to go by.
DANGEROUSLY UNDER-MEDICATED
If we are what we eat, then I'm easy, fast, and cheap
Opus the Poet

Post by Opus the Poet »

I don't think this was ever a dream, I think M has been inside Jet's head (metaphysical sense, not literal sense) ever since the poit in.
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

And clarity ensues!

Jaguar Girl is in the midst of Demon Sheparding -- in this case, Jet's demons. The "Tar" must be Lust, Anger is shouting down Tar, and Guidance is doing the introductions!

So - An aspect of Jet desires Monica; Jet knows better and is using anger to control that deisre; and Guidance -- well, the robot form says a lot about Jet's upbringing.

Back to you, Chet.
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
shadowinthelight

Post by shadowinthelight »

DilyV wrote:Is it just me, or has this transferred from a dream realm to an astral realm?
Pretty much the same thing, right?
Atomic wrote:And clarity ensues!
Clarity being a relative term of course.
Julie, about Wapsi Square wrote:Oh goodness yes. So much paranormal!

Image My deviantART and YouTube.
I'm done thinking for today! It's caused me enough trouble!
dex drako

Post by dex drako »

KnightDelight wrote:Whoa! We're in the demon realm? And there are good demons? Who knew demons could care if someone got raped? You'd think they would have enjoyed it. Especially Lust and Fear. Monica doesn't seem quite as powerful as we thought. Or as she thought for that matter. This should be interesting. I wonder if Tar is a female demon? It would seem so if the past demons shown is anything to go by.
remember the time all the demons left monica and she was an emotinless shell that means there are "good" demons as well for emotion like love and protectiveness. so demons in this story are manifestations of emotion and none of them are out right evil it's just their job to make their host act on those emotions. this also means a persons demons share their moral code to some degree seeing they make up a persons moral code after all.
TheDOCTOR
Location: Pittsburgh,Pa. via Gallifrey, in Constallation of Kastaborus

Post by TheDOCTOR »

Wow, this is some weird....crap. Talk about your "Home Innvasion". Who is Guidance?
Opus the Poet

Post by Opus the Poet »

It looks like Guidance is HMFIC for Jet's demon covey. Kinda like Doubt was for M.
DilyV

Post by DilyV »

KnightDelight wrote:Whoa! We're in the demon realm? And there are good demons? Who knew demons could care if someone got raped? You'd think they would have enjoyed it. Especially Lust and Fear. Monica doesn't seem quite as powerful as we thought. Or as she thought for that matter. This should be interesting. I wonder if Tar is a female demon? It would seem so if the past demons shown is anything to go by.
I don't think it's a case of her not being as powerful as we or she thought... I think it lies closer to the fact that Monica's mind has been off kilter since the poit. I honestly don't think her mind is registering what's going on fast enough for her to react. She's been a step or two behind the curve from the moment Tina called her. Tina didn't fill her in completely and the moment she roared onto the scene, she was beset by these visions and trying to understand them based on half assed information.

Based on today's strip I'm going back to what I mentioned before... I think Jet died in that plane crash and her demons refused to give up the ship. Maybe it's not as cut and dried as Jet dying... What if Jet just gave up on life and her demons wouldn't let her? She's still in there and we hear from her every now and again... I think she's the one that wants to die and drop off the face of the earth and her demons wont let her which is why Monica needs to be involved to sort it all out.

EDIT: Here is the previous reference I made to the possibility of Jet being a covey of demons... Looks like I'm correct: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1189#p23312
Last edited by DilyV on Mon Sep 16, 2013 2:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jay-Em

Post by Jay-Em »

I believe Paul uses "Demon"more in the classical, Greek way, as in "Daimon" or "inspiration/motivation"

`The Ancient Greek word δαίμων daimōn denotes a spirit or divine power, much like the Latin genius or numen.' (Wikipedia)
Last edited by Jay-Em on Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
but, why 42?
---------------
Against the assault of laughter nothing can stand. (S. Clemens)
KnightDelight

Post by KnightDelight »

dex drako wrote: remember the time all the demons left monica and she was an emotinless shell that means there are "good" demons as well for emotion like love and protectiveness. so demons in this story are manifestations of emotion and none of them are out right evil it's just their job to make their host act on those emotions. this also means a persons demons share their moral code to some degree seeing they make up a persons moral code after all.
I can't really see Love as being a demon. As far as I can see, Demons are negative emotions, Anger, Lust, Doubt, Fear, etc. Needed, but not nice. In fact it has been said they would tear humans apart for their own amusement were it not for the sphinxes. They aren't evil as such any more than electricity is evil, they just "are". But they are beings in their own right and not simply manifestations of some abstract concepts. Within limits they can still get their rocks off torturing people or satisfying their own desires, so they are willing to go along with the rules. Emotions such as love, hope, kindness would be from somewhere else, assuming they also exist as beings. But who knows in the Wapsi World.
DANGEROUSLY UNDER-MEDICATED
If we are what we eat, then I'm easy, fast, and cheap
zachariah

Post by zachariah »

From what guidance said this should be inside Jet, not on the astral or in the demon realm. If they don't get visitors it has to be isolated quiet well. On the astral things can travel through with little hindrance. To get to the demon requires a doorway. So this is internal to Jet. I don't know if this is about shepherding the demons og getting to meet Jet and work it through. If Jet never recovered from the crash her and the demons may have been running the show by committee rather Jet doing it alone. This could imply that Jet is really a split personality and the demons are tryng to keep the entire kindergarten from running amok.
Ambush questions are fun. Watching the mental impact of them as they distort, or crumble, opinions based on faulty logic.
Jay-Em

Post by Jay-Em »

zachariah wrote:From what guidance said this should be inside Jet, not on the astral or in the demon realm. If they don't get visitors it has to be isolated quiet well. On the astral things can travel through with little hindrance. To get to the demon requires a doorway. So this is internal to Jet. I don't know if this is about shepherding the demons og getting to meet Jet and work it through. If Jet never recovered from the crash her and the demons may have been running the show by committee rather Jet doing it alone. This could imply that Jet is really a split personality and the demons are tryng to keep the entire kindergarten from running amok.
That...... sounds véry logical. I think You hit the nail on the head here. Especially since f.i. Tina'is álso a "run by comittee" person. It means that this is apparently distinct possibility in the Wapsiverse. It álso fits nicely with the "other one like You" that Phix alluded to (was it Phix? can't remember exactly)
but, why 42?
---------------
Against the assault of laughter nothing can stand. (S. Clemens)
NOTDilbert

Post by NOTDilbert »

"Anger" seems to be a Venus-de-Milo torso in a picture T-shirt....That symbolism hasn't yet parsed for me.....
"Imagination is more important than Knowledge" - Albert Einstein
"History doesn't repeat itself, but it DOES rhyme" - Mark Twain
"Always. Expect. Ninjas." - Syndey Scoville
DilyV

Post by DilyV »

zachariah wrote:From what guidance said this should be inside Jet, not on the astral or in the demon realm. If they don't get visitors it has to be isolated quiet well. On the astral things can travel through with little hindrance. To get to the demon requires a doorway. So this is internal to Jet. I don't know if this is about shepherding the demons og getting to meet Jet and work it through. If Jet never recovered from the crash her and the demons may have been running the show by committee rather Jet doing it alone. This could imply that Jet is really a split personality and the demons are tryng to keep the entire kindergarten from running amok.
I said Friday I felt that Jet might be the other entity like Tina, with a demon covey running the ship. Here: Here: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1189#p23312

I refined my statement above, adding that Jet might still be there, driven to exist by her covey of demons...

It's sure beginning to look like it...

shadowinthelight

Post by shadowinthelight »

NOTDilbert wrote:"Anger" seems to be a Venus-de-Milo torso in a picture T-shirt....That symbolism hasn't yet parsed for me.....
It makes perfect sense for Venus de Milo to be the image of anger. Wouldn't you be pissed off if you had no arms? :lol:
Julie, about Wapsi Square wrote:Oh goodness yes. So much paranormal!

Image My deviantART and YouTube.
I'm done thinking for today! It's caused me enough trouble!
Wyvern

Post by Wyvern »

KnightDelight wrote:Whoa! We're in the demon realm? And there are good demons?
Right; not the demon realm, just Georgette's demon space. In her head, metaphorically.

As for the demons, Wapsi Square demons are more anthropomorphic concepts than malevolent spirits; they're not 'good' or 'evil,' they just are.
You should be reading the Wapsi Square Wiki.
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

Wyvern wrote:
KnightDelight wrote:Whoa! We're in the demon realm? And there are good demons?
Right; not the demon realm, just Georgette's demon space. In her head, metaphorically.

As for the demons, Wapsi Square demons are more anthropomorphic concepts than malevolent spirits; they're not 'good' or 'evil,' they just are.
Agreed. The Demons in this case are more along the lines of a daemon - a motivating entity. The shorter version has been associated with evil, along the lines of the Djinn/Genie split for evil/good. Or, fairy/fay: fairies are seen as kindly, fay as malevolent -- Morganna le Fay, anyone?
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff