Wapsi Square 12 years 2013-09-09

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
DilyV

Re: Wapsi Square 12 years 2013-09-09

Post by DilyV »

My first exposure to the strip was late last year... One of my friends sent me a picture of Monica that said: "ERMAHGERD!!! BERBS!!!" I followed the weblink at the bottom to see what it was all about... I came in roughly at "Do The Eyes" but went back and started at the beginning. It took me three weeks to get through the whole thing and I'm glad I did. Twelve years ago today I'd just landed in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia at the beginning of a 8 month deployment that got real serious real quick... Ten years ago, I was five months into a year deployment to Iraq... I'm just happy to be around to have gone back and caught up...
You know that light at the end of the tunnel?

Yeah... it's a bullet. Sorry.
Sidhekin

Post by Sidhekin »

"Do The Eyes" ... late last year?!

What calendar are you using? Slag-Blah? Or Mayan Great Year? :lol:

For my part: I've been aware of Wapsi Square for years and years, ever since the 8-ball shirt started showing up in other comics. Later references to the Library, the macroglossia (in several incarnations), the calendar machine, and various other teasers convinced me it was not just another she's-unaware-how-sexy-she-is comic; I figured I'd check it out eventually. When the Mayan Great New Year started getting into the news, well ... I figured it was now or never. Hey, I didn't know they had already fixed it! 8-)
perl -e 'print "Just another Perl ${\(trickster and hacker)},";'

The Sidhekin proves that Sidhe did it!
Baneus

Post by Baneus »

Been reading since year one. Created an account just to say " Happy anniversary" :)
Wildcat

Post by Wildcat »

NO, no… wait…

*We're* supposed to be thanking YOU! :D

Thank you thank you THANK YOU! ^.^

Wildcat
Akasha

Post by Akasha »

12 years, what a time ... i've registered here just this year, but i've been reading it from the time ( not the very start ) when it was very often just a single strip, and i have enjoyed this immensely. thank you very much, it's been a ride, especially the cliffhangers ... like -ing today. 12 years, great, and now i have to -ing wait for -ing tomorrow to -ing know how it goes on, happy -ing wapsibirthday ;)
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Boxilar wrote:I had a terrible moment when the strip loaded.

"Is he done?! Was that it?! But, but what happens next!?"

Then I calmed down when I realised it was a anniversary strip.

Dang it. Damn near had a heart attack.
^^^
This.

But geez, 12 years? Seems like I've been reading most of that time. I'd have to ask Bookworm if he's still got any info of when I first logged in on BLC's forums.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
tripodcat

Post by tripodcat »

@ Paul: Congratulations and here's hoping for many, many more! :D

@ Akasha: I saw what you did there, o Truth-ful one ;)
Julie

Post by Julie »

YAY!! Happy Anniversary! :D

I can't really recall at what point I joined the insanity...I just know it was before the updates went from strips to full page comics. :) I look forward to spending many more years in puzzlement trying to figure out exactly where you're leading us, Paul. :P
"Just open your eyes
And see that life is beautiful."
TlalocW

Post by TlalocW »

Congratulations, Paul!

I think I came in around one of the first 8-Ball t-shirt jokes (where she shakes it for Shelly) and quickly went back to number 1. At number 1, I was hooked because Monica in the last panel reminded me so much of a good friend I've had since college who has given me (and continues to give me) that look a lot. At that point, in my mind Monica was Hispanic (as is my friend, who is quite busty as well). I also dug her shortness as I had a girlfriend who was 4'11.5" (that .5 inch was very important to her). Whether they were meant to be hints or not, the box of voodoo dolls from Peru, and Monica cataloging Aztec relics from the museum helped cement it more. Then the first color strip of Monica daydreaming herself on the beach while Amanda was waiting for her to unlock a door, her dog being named Dietzel, the release of Tepoz... Finding out her grandfather was named Sullivan was a curveball... But then finding out her last name was Villareal, and her visit to her family in Mexico finally cinched it and made me happy.

And then I started noticing Tina, and boy... did she remind me of another Hispanic friend who, like Tina, is a smiley ray of sunshine, and I got to thinking, "Naw, can't happen twice..." but then remembered the shop as Mucho Mocha, noticed the "Papel Picados" hanging in the shop, saw what looked like a painting of La Virgen de Guadalupe in the background of some strips, and then finally...
http://wapsisquare.com/comic/likepullingteeth/

It's been a fun 12 years. Looking forward to the future (as well as my prediction of Monica and all the other supernaturals forming a super team coming true). :)

TlalocW
DilyV

Post by DilyV »

Sidhekin wrote:"Do The Eyes" ... late last year?!

What calendar are you using? Slag-Blah? Or Mayan Great Year? :lol:

For my part: I've been aware of Wapsi Square for years and years, ever since the 8-ball shirt started showing up in other comics. Later references to the Library, the macroglossia (in several incarnations), the calendar machine, and various other teasers convinced me it was not just another she's-unaware-how-sexy-she-is comic; I figured I'd check it out eventually. When the Mayan Great New Year started getting into the news, well ... I figured it was now or never. Hey, I didn't know they had already fixed it! 8-)
I started reading it in late November 2012 or so when a friend sent me a picture of Monica bending forwards with her breasts nearly spilling out of her shirt with the caption that read "Ermagerd!!! Berbs!!!" I'm not quite sure why, maybe she'd sent me the link, but when I got into WapsiSquare, Do the eyes was the strip it took me to. I realize that was like April 2012 that strip came out but it was one of the first ones I read. I realized quickly that to fully understand what was going on I'd need to start at the beginning... I just didn't realize that the beginning was so long ago. Still, I don't regret the journey... I agree with others here... it's not just a story about a sexy girl with big "berbs"... the story has substance on so many levels it's unbelievable. The story intertwines myth and legend and history in such a way that it seemingly becomes real in your mind. The story actually sucks you into the strip's world and makes you a bystander. Not many people can write like that... let alone illustrate it! I also agree... It is us who should be thanking Paul for inviting us into his world of Wapsi Square.
You know that light at the end of the tunnel?

Yeah... it's a bullet. Sorry.
kingklash

Post by kingklash »

Like many others, I came to Wapsi from another site. Specifically, a comment on FARK that used the strip where Moni was contemplating her genetic heritage, and how that was to blame for her chest size. Someone had asked what strip it was from, and a name and link was provided. I dropped in just a little before things got really epic, went to Square one, and worked my way forward, and claimed Shelly as a relative in the meantime, due to being related to the real Wahnee family. I haven't been reading the entire twelve, but I did read the run, and I raise a buffalo burger to many, many more years of twists, turns, Mythics, and strong intelligent females!
Wyvern

Post by Wyvern »

Since it keeps coming up, here's a link to "Do the eyes."

Also, "belly belly belly belly..."
You should be reading the Wapsi Square Wiki.
Prester Fred

Post by Prester Fred »

I think I started reading before Tepoz first appeared; if not, it wasn't long after.

Holy cow. That's a long time. And the comic has only gotten better.

Congratulations and here's to many more!
Avenger_Reloaded

Post by Avenger_Reloaded »

My sincere thanks to you Paul for making this comic interesting and compelling enough to read for 12 years.
I have been here from sincerely early on. Definitely since year one.
Read it and laughed at the funny and have now embraced my addiction to reading your strip each day.
You're right up there with Real Life Comics and Megatokyo for my daily reading.

Peace and long life Paul.
Myths which are believed in tend to become true. -George Orwell
Amethyst Shadow

Post by Amethyst Shadow »

Good grief

has it been that long already?

Man I remember when Wapsi was a Slice of Life comic with the occasional exploits of Tepoz. And now it's a full blown supernatural drama with very little slice of life.

Funny how far things change over time.

That said I do miss some of the slice of life aspects of the comic.

It's been entirely too long since we saw Daren. And what's going on with Owen and Lakshmi since they got married. Heck, when was the last time we saw Kevin (not to mention Jin's other half Allen) for that matter.
"There is no true equity of power. There is only more and less."
sheik

Post by sheik »

Here's to another 12 years of Wapsi Square...
Where all the men are clueless, the women are powerful, and the children are even weirder than usual. :)
Yamara

Post by Yamara »

Hey, Monica. Did you come at a bad time?

No time like the present. Congratulations on 12 years of comic excellence, Paul.
PunPalsm the fastest way to pay the pun jar

Do Not Taunt Happy Fun Baal.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
GuySmiley

Post by GuySmiley »

I was only introduced to Wapsi Square in January of this year (I'm taking everyone's word on it that Monica is the main character ;) ) but going back and reading the whole thing from day one was a great read.

Congratulations on 12 years and here's to many more. :D
"I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf mutes."
-The Laughing Man; GITS:SAC (originally from Holden Caulfield; Catcher in the Rye)
Wyvern

Post by Wyvern »

Nice edit, jwhouk. Also, dig that art evolution. :D
You should be reading the Wapsi Square Wiki.