There She Is 2013-08-28

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
Sidhekin

Re: There She Is 2013-08-28

Post by Sidhekin »

zachariah wrote: Now who is the girl she is looking for? That she is looking seems to surprise her. We probably all think she is looking for Monica, maybe not realizing it, but maybe not.
That was my initial reaction (Tina has, unlike the other paranormals, seen them together).

But then came Tina's "there she is!"

Yes, I'm reading it as if Georgette's looking for, needing, the twelve-year-old girl from the plane crash. It kinda ties in with missing "that earthy bonding" with her grandpa. Though apparently she was ten when she spent time with him, not twelve ... so yeah, my current reading still leaves some clarity to be desired.
perl -e 'print "Just another Perl ${\(trickster and hacker)},";'

The Sidhekin proves that Sidhe did it!
Jay-Em

Post by Jay-Em »

Quite the deluge of info there.

Tina hardly does that on a whim. And she wás a psychologist in her former life. I always wonder how much of that peculiar ability of a good psychologist, the detection of "things" through a glancing at a person, and checking their involuntary physical reactions to -sometimes- seemingly blunt remarks, is left.

This is going to be interesting. And Tina's hair? There's a joke somewhere when Monica makes a remark.(remember her sudden pixiecut?) For the rest of it? :Shrugs: Tina's bóund to explain.
but, why 42?
---------------
Against the assault of laughter nothing can stand. (S. Clemens)
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

I don't know, looking at G's last appearance, and the one after, she needed a bit of a dope-slap.
Something M noticed about herself...and something Tina's pretty good at.
"The price of perfection is prohibitive." - Anonymous
Ohnhai

Post by Ohnhai »

I know that look.... I've done that to people before. (really freaks them out)
txmystic

Post by txmystic »

I still think she's only unleashing this much because she knows deep sown Georgette can handle it. But I wonder why she needs Monica so much? It was clear from their earlier interactions that she had an unusual simpatico with her...

I like Georgette's crescent eyes. I wonder if that gives a clue as to her supernatural character.

Also interesting....the collective is doing most of the talking except when she says "intriguing". Wonder which spirit put itself forward for that one?
Wolfmand
Location: SW Washington State, out in the country and up in the mountains.

Post by Wolfmand »

Woah, Tina...

BUT -

Just who - or what - said "Intriguing"? :shock:
Yamara

Post by Yamara »

Wolfmand wrote:Woah, Tina...

BUT -

Just who - or what - said "Intriguing"? :shock:
Probably "Blackwing": Monica's other other guardian angel inside of Tina. Blackwing is just what I call her; since there seems to be an entity in there that sports black wings every so often, and that could never have been Nudge. Seems to have an interest in people's self-worth.

The grey text is, of course, a single 'demon speaking out of turn', but Nudge wasn't really a demon.

Blackwing's real name is one of those shoes waiting to drop.

PunPal charged me what? But what will I do without my arms and h---
PunPalsm the fastest way to pay the pun jar

Do Not Taunt Happy Fun Baal.
Grantwhy

Post by Grantwhy »

Jay-Em wrote:Quite the deluge of info there.

Tina hardly does that on a whim. And she wás a psychologist in her former life. I always wonder how much of that peculiar ability of a good psychologist, the detection of "things" through a glancing at a person, and checking their involuntary physical reactions to -sometimes- seemingly blunt remarks, is left.
I wonder how much of this information Tina is getting from "aura reading" and how much from reading fashion pages?

Has Tina been reading up on models backgrounds and Georgette is one of them?
As a CareBearAnarchist I believe in the destruction and overthrow of the perils of society through random and senseless acts of consideration and kindness
Growing older is compulsory, growing up is optional
Dumb things happen to smart phones
genis_vel

Post by genis_vel »

And I'm curious of Georgette has demons of her own.

Another thing to keep in mind is all of the warnings we and Monica have received about Tina lately. She may not be acting altruistically here.
TheDOCTOR
Location: Pittsburgh,Pa. via Gallifrey, in Constallation of Kastaborus

Post by TheDOCTOR »

Oh, oh , I know,I know. Monica and Geogette are .....Sisters!
Well related, anyway and Georgette just found out? ;)
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Grantwhy wrote: I wonder how much of this information Tina is getting from "aura reading" and how much from reading fashion pages?

Has Tina been reading up on models backgrounds and Georgette is one of them?
...Or was Georgette a "client" of Dr. Tina Guzman's back in the day?
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
TlalocW

Post by TlalocW »

See, this is exactly why I don't drink coffee - the baristas with the mystical ability to read your past.

TlalocW
Radical_Knight

Post by Radical_Knight »

Geez, Tina... What'd that haircut do to ya, just give he an intro reading, not the whole friggin' novel!
Memories die hard long after reality has turned to dust.
TheSkulker

Post by TheSkulker »

Sidhekin wrote:Yes, I'm reading it as if Georgette's looking for, needing, the twelve-year-old girl from the plane crash. It kinda ties in with missing "that earthy bonding" with her grandpa. Though apparently she was ten when she spent time with him, not twelve ... so yeah, my current reading still leaves some clarity to be desired.
I think you nailed it there. G has been doing too much introspection for it to be Monica.
We want to see the unexpected! The strange and terrible!
A dream merely soothes - but our nightmares make us run!
GG 07-15-13
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

Radical_Knight wrote:Geez, Tina... What'd that haircut do to ya, just give he an intro reading, not the whole friggin' novel!
Plot exposition, dear. Got to get it out of the way somehow!
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
zachariah

Post by zachariah »

TheDOCTOR wrote:Oh, oh , I know,I know. Monica and Geogette are .....Sisters!
Well related, anyway and Georgette just found out? ;)
A Paul plot twist would make them BROTHERS! After suffering through a polymorphic accident due to a trans-universal rift that the Stay-Puff Man came through.
Ambush questions are fun. Watching the mental impact of them as they distort, or crumble, opinions based on faulty logic.
ActionKermit

Post by ActionKermit »

zachariah wrote:A Paul plot twist would make them BROTHERS! After suffering through a polymorphic accident due to a trans-universal rift that the Stay-Puff Man came through.
And then, finally, Dan Shive becomes a regular reader.
Dave

Post by Dave »

I think we've only seen Tina do anything like this "deep dive" once before... the day she did "go for the gut" aura readings of both Monica and Shelly. In both cases, it was a "cut the crap, ladies!" moment. If I recall correctly, she said something along the lines of "Monca, that new butch haircut makes you look awful, you know it makes you look awful... stop trying to prop up your self-esteem by pretending that you didn't make a mistake!". In Shelly's case it was even more personal... she jabbed at Shelly's relationship with Justin, pointing out that Shelly was using Justin as a sexual boy-toy and avoiding real intimacy with him, didn't really know him, and certainly wasn't letting him get to know the real Shelly.

In both cases, these were deeply personal readings, far from Tina's usual "blowing sunshine up peoples' asses" style, and were surely quite uncomfortable to hear... and they were probably just what M and S needed to hear, for their own personal growth. Without that uncomfortable challenge (and time to think it over) Shelly's "oops, I nearly disemboweled you!" crisis with Justin might not have worked out as well as it did.

We saw in Monday that Georgette is at least somewhat unhappy with the state of her life... she's temporarily ducked out on her profession and is harboring a wish that she could ditch her persona entirely and permanently. She has some issues with herself.

The fact that Tina did a sudden and immediate "deep dive" reading makes me wonder whether Georgette's buried issues and apparent unhappiness aren't more severe and immediate than Monday's hints suggested. Could she actually be suicidally unhappy? Is she approaching a "Richard Corey" crisis? Is Tina sensing an "existential boil" which needs to be lanced and drained, in order for Georgette to survive?

Some have suggested that Tina's motives here might not be altruistic, due to Tina's recent changes. I dunno... what we've seen of Tina in the last year or so is that she's been willing to push up against the boundaries of the "Don't use demonic powers against humans" prohibitions... but only in the interest of a greater good, and after a lot of what Phix acknowledged as very human-style ethical struggle and pondering. She may be less firmly constrained by demon/sphinx law and fear of the consequences, but she's developed her own human conscience... a sense of right and wrong.

I doubt that either that conscience, or the sphinxly and demonic laws (which do still apply to her) would allow her to use her demonic aura-reading skills on Georgette in a way which would harm G.

I don't think what Tina did here, qualifies as a mere nose-flick... Georgette is looking much too gobsmacked for that! :D
Julie

Post by Julie »

Well...I did say I'd reserve judgment until I could see the hair from a different angle. :) I'm actually okay with it now. I just don't like the little rat-tail in the back...:P
Sidhekin wrote:
zachariah wrote: Now who is the girl she is looking for? That she is looking seems to surprise her. We probably all think she is looking for Monica, maybe not realizing it, but maybe not.
That was my initial reaction (Tina has, unlike the other paranormals, seen them together).

But then came Tina's "there she is!"

Yes, I'm reading it as if Georgette's looking for, needing, the twelve-year-old girl from the plane crash. It kinda ties in with missing "that earthy bonding" with her grandpa. Though apparently she was ten when she spent time with him, not twelve ... so yeah, my current reading still leaves some clarity to be desired.
Okay...thank you for sharing that because I'd gotten lost in the Tina-info-dump...and your explanation makes sense. :)
"Just open your eyes
And see that life is beautiful."
Wapsi
Site Admin

Post by Wapsi »

Sidhekin wrote:Out-of-sync page generation / caching.

Probably some cloud-based server, where the various participants in the cloud are not updated simultaneously ... it's getting to be more common.

Also, typo alert: "You're parents" ...
I disabled the cloud server and the typo was fixed last night, but didn't show the fixed comic until this morning when I disabled the cloud.