A Little Competition 2013-08-08

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
MerchManDan

A Little Competition 2013-08-08

Post by MerchManDan »

This ought to be GOOD. Though I must confess, I'm a bit surprised by Mon being so...physical.
"Give orange me give eat orange me eat orange give me eat orange give me you." - Nim the chimp
Animation courtesy of shadowinthelight (thanks again!)
Yamara

Re: A Little Competition 2013-08-08

Post by Yamara »

It's taken in the spirit of play. Which is fine in the paranormal context.

She's still very young, though, and will have to remember who she can and cannot punch in the face.
PunPalsm the fastest way to pay the pun jar

Do Not Taunt Happy Fun Baal.
davids4250

Post by davids4250 »

Uh, flying? I know the phoenix was a bird, but where are her wings? Not sure I like the new Monica at all.
No trees were harmed in sending this message, however, a large number of electrons were seriously inconvenienced
Dave

Post by Dave »

Yamara wrote:She's still very young, though, and will have to remember who she can and cannot punch in the face.
Yeah, that's twice she's thocked a sphinx right in the cheops.

Somehow, I doubt that all sphinxes would take this as well as Phix and Shelly have. Ditto for other paranormal beings. There could be repercussions to overdoing this sort of thing. Monica might end up regretting an excess of thockish playfulness, even though she is effectively immortal.

After all, $350 bras do not grow on trees!
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

Shelly-Cam! Yay!

(I'd be a lot like that, if I was like that...)
davids4250 wrote:Uh, flying? I know the phoenix was a bird, but where are her wings? Not sure I like the new Monica at all.
Jaguar Girl is jumpin'...
"The price of perfection is prohibitive." - Anonymous
Opus the Poet

Post by Opus the Poet »

She's flying! When did Monica learn to fly or that she could fly?
I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
zachariah

Post by zachariah »

I wonder if being immortal has gone to her head. Suddenly she's just fine jumping off roofs when she's shown no indication she can fly. Does she now expect that landing and she will recover from it so quickly she can still win the race to stella's? Or is she using the jaguar pouncing skills she hasn't shown us. And when did Monica and Shelly exchange punches in their competitions???? That's a bit much for Monica who is basically a non-violent person.
Ambush questions are fun. Watching the mental impact of them as they distort, or crumble, opinions based on faulty logic.
TheDOCTOR
Location: Pittsburgh,Pa. via Gallifrey, in Constallation of Kastaborus

Post by TheDOCTOR »

Interesting. Monica is talking about the smells of a cafe and buying the First Round. I guess Monica can eat what she wants and drink what she wants. Monica seems to have appetites of all types. Poor Kevin! :twisted:
NOTDilbert

Post by NOTDilbert »

Mon's either gonna land like a cat and race off on all fours, or she's gonna SPLAT, Reincarnate, THEN race off on all fours. Hope it doesn't mess up the little black dress....

*edit* If that's the roof of Shelly's apartment, IIRC it's only 2-3 stories up. So, maybe no SPLAT.
"Imagination is more important than Knowledge" - Albert Einstein
"History doesn't repeat itself, but it DOES rhyme" - Mark Twain
"Always. Expect. Ninjas." - Syndey Scoville
Wyvern

Post by Wyvern »

And Stella's Fish Cafe is only one block from this intersection. More real Minneapolis in Wapsi Square!
You should be reading the Wapsi Square Wiki.
shadowinthelight

Post by shadowinthelight »

Opus the Poet wrote:She's flying! When did Monica learn to fly or that she could fly?
"That wasn't flying! That was... falling with style!"
Julie, about Wapsi Square wrote:Oh goodness yes. So much paranormal!

Image My deviantART and YouTube.
I'm done thinking for today! It's caused me enough trouble!
My2Cents

Post by My2Cents »

Dave wrote:
Yamara wrote:She's still very young, though, and will have to remember who she can and cannot punch in the face.
Yeah, that's twice she's thocked a sphinx right in the cheops.

Somehow, I doubt that all sphinxes would take this as well as Phix and Shelly have. Ditto for other paranormal beings. There could be repercussions to overdoing this sort of thing. Monica might end up regretting an excess of thockish playfulness, even though she is effectively immortal.

After all, $350 bras do not grow on trees!
That doesn't look like a light punch, but doesn't seem to upset Shelly too much either. Sphinx's must be awfully tough. Which means Monica punching Phix may have been more along the lines of tapping her on the shoulder to get her attention!

The next question is liable to be how tough is a Jaguar Girl?
And since Monica is embracing her animal side, what do Jaguar Girls like to eat, besides fish?
While misery loves company, chaos brings along friends.
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

TheDOCTOR wrote:Interesting. Monica is talking about the smells of a cafe and buying the First Round. I guess Monica can eat what she wants and drink what she wants. Monica seems to have appetites of all types. Poor Kevin! :twisted:
Your idea of what part of her transfiguration is a problem is different than mine.
As shadowinthelight so eloquently put it.
:P
"The price of perfection is prohibitive." - Anonymous
DilyV

Post by DilyV »

I think she's leading Shelly on... remember the tennis game?

http://wapsisquare.com/comic/pot-vs-kettle/

I think Monica is going to let Shelly think she's winning then just poit ahead to the Café.

"Ya can't prove nuthin'!!"

LOL

Oh yeah, before I forget... Note to self... Never play tag with Monica and Shelly!!!
You know that light at the end of the tunnel?

Yeah... it's a bullet. Sorry.
illiad

Post by illiad »

davids4250 wrote:Uh, flying? I know the phoenix was a bird, but where are her wings? Not sure I like the new Monica at all.
yeh, but thinkin about it, it is the kind of 'flying' that 'hulk' does... jumps off, hits side of building on all fours, jumps up again... etc... :P

edit: found the word.. 'parkour / freerunning' .. my friends young son does it, and freaks her out sometimes... :o :shock:

DilyV: I think the feeling is 'why poit, when I can show off' :D :D
Masterof7s

Post by Masterof7s »

It will be interesting to see where Monica's personality goes now that she's embracing her more primal nature. Lines will be crossed, obviously, as she comes to grips with what she is now, but it should be an interesting bit of character development.
Ohnhai

Post by Ohnhai »

Opus the Poet wrote:She's flying! When did Monica learn to fly or that she could fly?
jaguar girl

cats can jump from great heights and land on their feet with minimal damage (which she could absorb anyway)

but i do fear that Shelly is missing the point of this comp.... or should that be the 'Poit' ?
Aleister Crow

Post by Aleister Crow »

Are they really racing... or does the switch to the stick figure/notebook drawings mean Monica just knocked Shelley out?
Whoever coined the phrase "more fun than a barrel of monkeys" obviously never spent an afternoon cramming the little buggers into one.
Julie

Post by Julie »

LOL! Oh goodness! I needed this! :) Today needed to start with a laugh. Thanks for that Paul! :)
For those of you who are the praying sorts, please pray for my family. Today is my husband's last day at work, and he has not been able to find a new job yet. *is very worried*
zachariah wrote:I wonder if being immortal has gone to her head. Suddenly she's just fine jumping off roofs when she's shown no indication she can fly. Does she now expect that landing and she will recover from it so quickly she can still win the race to stella's? Or is she using the jaguar pouncing skills she hasn't shown us. And when did Monica and Shelly exchange punches in their competitions???? That's a bit much for Monica who is basically a non-violent person.
Soo...for the jumping thing...this-->
NOTDilbert wrote:Mon's either gonna land like a cat and race off on all fours, or she's gonna SPLAT, Reincarnate, THEN race off on all fours. Hope it doesn't mess up the little black dress....

*edit* If that's the roof of Shelly's apartment, IIRC it's only 2-3 stories up. So, maybe no SPLAT.
And I'm inclined to think she'll land on all fours being that she's got enough cat in her to have face-markings, fangs, and occasionally spots. :)

As for the punching Shelly thing...she and Shelly have probably undergone a serious metamorphosis of their relationship. Remember...Shelly has stabbed her in the head and stood by while Bud punched her heart out...this punch is both M showing Shelly that she can tussle with the big dogs (or cats in this case) since she's figured out that sphinxes respond to that kind of show of strength...and it may also be M getting a little of her own back for the physical aggression she's endured at the hands of her friends when she couldn't fight back. :) Besides, Shelly has been a physical girl for a long time now (remember her "bully" friendship with Owen?). While M may not have behaved that way most of the time, she hasn't been without playful aggression in her interactions (like this one...sorry for only referencing old comics...I've been doing a re-read :))...so I don't see it as being that out of character.
"Just open your eyes
And see that life is beautiful."
starkruzr

Post by starkruzr »

Maybe she'll poit away the momentum before she hits the ground?