Castela, "It's Singing!" 2013-08-06

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
NOTDilbert

Re: Castela, "It's Singing!" 2013-08-06

Post by NOTDilbert »

Well, I suppose we can all agree that Katherine has graduated past the Fluttershy typecasting. She's not quite as adventurous yet as RD; now she strikes me as the Twilight Sparkle of the group - comfortable with musty researching, but learning to deal with friends now. Arguements/discussion?

(And, wow, that ranks up there with the least manliest things I've ever said)
"Imagination is more important than Knowledge" - Albert Einstein
"History doesn't repeat itself, but it DOES rhyme" - Mark Twain
"Always. Expect. Ninjas." - Syndey Scoville
Timotheus

Post by Timotheus »

This has all been very cute and full of the warm fuzzies (and I have been tempted to find a suitable rendition of "Walking on Sunshine" for the illustration) but it hasn't distracted me from my primary questions concerning Dr Gilchrist's rapidly change in emotional attitude and apparent rapid achievement of knowledge and expertise with seemingly unknown technology and how this relates to the overall story.

There is a great deal of this story that is still left hanging and I do hope that some of it will be tied down.
If I Knew What I Was Doing I'd Be Dangerous.
Nov shmoz ka pop?
Mark N

Post by Mark N »

Timotheus wrote:This has all been very cute and full of the warm fuzzies (and I have been tempted to find a suitable rendition of "Walking on Sunshine" for the illustration) but it hasn't distracted me from my primary questions concerning Dr Gilchrist's rapidly change in emotional attitude and apparent rapid achievement of knowledge and expertise with seemingly unknown technology and how this relates to the overall story.

There is a great deal of this story that is still left hanging and I do hope that some of it will be tied down.
Look at it as she has spent the last 20 years in state of shell-shock and she has just lifted herself up by her bootstraps to get past that thanks to another "do or die" situation. This would basically reset her emotional systems back to whatever she was like when the first event happened. As for her knowledge she may have just been open minded to the idea of an unknown technology so she was not surprised by how it worked. The only question left is how she did the stellar calculations unless it has to do with a highly analytical mind for math and a heavy knowledge of Earth based astronomy. But this is just a guess.
The real question is who was "ghosting" them to keep them safe in the Mine-cart of Doom ride. (It was most likely not Brandi and definitely not Bud) But then again I have been wrong (often) before.
This message is brought to you by the "Let the artist know how much you LOVE his work" council.
chicgeek

Post by chicgeek »

The grey skin has me thinking half gargoyle. I wonder if a castela tree grew up a castle wall...
And, she told Astali her parents threw her away? I wonder if she began life as a seed? Trees (and other plants) do want their seeds scattered far and wide.
Heh, just musing. I'm enjoying watching this unfold, mysteries and all.
And, does anyone else get a visual of those novelty plastic sunflowers that move and play 'you are my sunshine?'
shadowinthelight

Post by shadowinthelight »

NOTDilbert wrote:Well, I suppose we can all agree that Katherine has graduated past the Fluttershy typecasting. She's not quite as adventurous yet as RD; now she strikes me as the Twilight Sparkle of the group - comfortable with musty researching, but learning to deal with friends now. Arguements/discussion?

*brohoof* /)(\
Kath won't be Twilight Sparkle until we see her majorly freak out over missing a deadline.
Julie, about Wapsi Square wrote:Oh goodness yes. So much paranormal!

Image My deviantART and YouTube.
I'm done thinking for today! It's caused me enough trouble!
as363

Post by as363 »

A lot of interesting ideas floated today- and that is one of the charms that Mr. P floats throughout his cycles. I've made some bad queses in the past - and once in a while I hit it on the head. It would get a little boring if we were following a rigid script where the next issue would be totally transparent to all.

With that said - the Air force Motto "Per Ardua ad Astra" (SP.?) seems to be the most pleasant way to totally enjoy what we read each week.
MerchManDan

Post by MerchManDan »

NOTDilbert wrote:Well, I suppose we can all agree that Katherine has graduated past the Fluttershy typecasting. She's not quite as adventurous yet as RD; now she strikes me as the Twilight Sparkle of the group - comfortable with musty researching, but learning to deal with friends now. Arguements/discussion?

Hmph. I'll have you know, sir, that the characters you mention are more "manly" than the lot of us, considering nobody here has tamed a manticore, stared down a cockatrice or made a dragon cry. ;) Back to the original premise, I'd suggest Kath is a combination of Fluttershy & Twilight Sparkle; her Rainbow Dash days were in the early 90s, before the digsite attack.
"Give orange me give eat orange me eat orange give me eat orange give me you." - Nim the chimp
Animation courtesy of shadowinthelight (thanks again!)
davids4250

Post by davids4250 »

I see no reason for our talented storyteller to explain every little detail. While I sometimes have questions (even complaints ant gripes) I can usually fill in any gaps, and what I can't, I figure is not really that important.
I enjoy the story as it is told. And I love Atsali and Castela.
No trees were harmed in sending this message, however, a large number of electrons were seriously inconvenienced
NOTDilbert

Post by NOTDilbert »

MerchManDan wrote:

Hmph. I'll have you know, sir, that the characters you mention are more "manly" than the lot of us, considering nobody here has tamed a manticore, stared down a cockatrice or made a dragon cry. ;) Back to the original premise, I'd suggest Kath is a combination of Fluttershy & Twilight Sparkle; her Rainbow Dash days were in the early 90s, before the digsite attack.
True enough - Dashie does stuff routinely that would send me back to my knitting. And like SITL said, she has to start obsessing over schedules, organization, and deadlines - routine is no longer a comfortable rut for Kath....
"Imagination is more important than Knowledge" - Albert Einstein
"History doesn't repeat itself, but it DOES rhyme" - Mark Twain
"Always. Expect. Ninjas." - Syndey Scoville
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

No love for Brawndo? It has electrolytes, you know...
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
Mark N

Post by Mark N »

Atomic wrote:No love for Brawndo? It has electrolytes, you know...

Now that was a very underrated film. What it lacked in intelligence it made up for in raw truth. In the future it will look like prophecy.:D
This message is brought to you by the "Let the artist know how much you LOVE his work" council.
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

Atomic wrote:No love for Brawndo? It has electrolytes, you know...
If not for her apparent age, I think Brawndo was made for Castela. But the effects of that much caffeine on someone that sized are kinda scary... :shock:

Brawndo has 220mg per 16 oz. according to EnergyFiend. (a fun website if only for the death by caffeine calculator)
As a side-note there's a Kymera drink. Careful with it, it's easy to get overpowered by it.
There's also an entry for Phix energy drink. But unlike one of our favorite Co-Librarians, it's weak in power and taste.
"The price of perfection is prohibitive." - Anonymous
Opus the Poet

Post by Opus the Poet »

MerchManDan wrote:Hmph. I'll have you know, sir, that the characters you mention are more "manly" than the lot of us, considering nobody here has tamed a manticore, stared down a cockatrice or made a dragon cry. ;) Back to the original premise, I'd suggest Kath is a combination of Fluttershy & Twilight Sparkle; her Rainbow Dash days were in the early 90s, before the digsite attack.
Speak for yourself...
I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
illiad

Post by illiad »

as363 wrote:With that said - the Air force Motto "Per Ardua ad Astra" (SP.?) seems to be the most pleasant way to totally enjoy what we read each week.
yes, that right, it means "Through adversity to the stars", or http://www.raf.mod.uk/history/theroyalairforcemotto.cfm says "Through struggles to the stars" :/ just does not read right, do they think 'adversity' too complex?? the page ends with it though... meh, make up your own mind... :/
illiad

Post by illiad »

MerchManDan wrote: Hmph. I'll have you know, sir, that the characters you mention are more "manly" than the lot of us, considering nobody here has tamed a manticore, stared down a cockatrice or made a dragon cry. ;) Back to the original premise, I'd suggest Kath is a combination of Fluttershy & Twilight Sparkle; her Rainbow Dash days were in the early 90s, before the digsite attack.
Well, I know some RL girls (one is a nightclub bouncer, so she can handle some of the worst ... :) :P ) that are more manly than *some* guys I know... now, if you can *find* A **RL** of any of the above, I will give it a try... meanwhile there are plenty of lion tamers, etc that do similar...
Julie

Post by Julie »

Mark N wrote:
Timotheus wrote:This has all been very cute and full of the warm fuzzies (and I have been tempted to find a suitable rendition of "Walking on Sunshine" for the illustration) but it hasn't distracted me from my primary questions concerning Dr Gilchrist's rapidly change in emotional attitude and apparent rapid achievement of knowledge and expertise with seemingly unknown technology and how this relates to the overall story.

Look at it as she has spent the last 20 years in state of shell-shock and she has just lifted herself up by her bootstraps to get past that thanks to another "do or die" situation. This would basically reset her emotional systems back to whatever she was like when the first event happened. As for her knowledge she may have just been open minded to the idea of an unknown technology so she was not surprised by how it worked. The only question left is how she did the stellar calculations unless it has to do with a highly analytical mind for math and a heavy knowledge of Earth based astronomy. But this is just a guess.
The real question is who was "ghosting" them to keep them safe in the Mine-cart of Doom ride. (It was most likely not Brandi and definitely not Bud) But then again I have been wrong (often) before.
As for the calculations bit...didn't Paul mention at some point that it could be assumed that Kat used the cell phone she borrowed from Lily to do more than take pictures? :) But yeah...Kat's a smart one...and I've often thought she was highly adaptable, just not in "normal" social situations (i.e. going to a bar and meeting new people). After all, remember that she handled the existence of the Library and the supernatural very well (once she recovered from fainting at the sight of Phix). :)

I think Mark N's nailed this one. Her personality change strikes me as either a "reset" (most likely) or potentially just situationally necessary. For example, I'm not the smothering or hovering type, but if someone around me isn't feeling well I become obsessively nurse-maid-ish and stay all over them trying to "make things better"...and then when they're better I go back to being kind of removed and less/un interested. People can change how they behave based on the situations they face. Until recently, we had never seen Kat face powerful agencies...nor had she been around a "weaker" individual that might need a champion (goodness knows the rest of the Wapsi crew are pretty damn self-assured and strong)...so it's only natural for us to see different behavior now than before. Yes, she's being shown as more in-control than before, but when has she needed to be? Couple that with evidence of PTSD, and you have an excellent explanation for the differences we've seen in her character.
"Just open your eyes
And see that life is beautiful."
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

Good points Miss Julie and Mark N! For Timotheus, may I suggest Kat has had a transcendental experience -- that is to say, she broke through a self-imposed barrier.

For (personal) example, I was horribly shy in my youth, and speaking in public (standard top 10 list fear) was almost crippling. Later, in college, I was on the stage crew, and guess who they picked to go down in front of the 2000+ people present for the Commencement Ceremony to test the microphone? Moi, the New Guy.

Ugh.

So, down the stairs, and more, and more, from the sound booth, across the auditorium floor, up the stage stairs, the across the stage (sweating profusely by this point) to middle stage and.... the microphone.... click..... ( insert several versions of "Testing, testing" here) making noise until the sound guy way up in the booth in the back waved at me.

Whew. Trudge, trudge, trudge, back to the sound booth.

And that's when it hit me. What I should have said.

"Welcome ladies and gentlemen to the Anita Tuvin Schlecter auditorium for this years Dickenson College commencement ceremony! The show will be starting soon and I hope you're all comfortable, but in the mean time, I get to test the microphone. Yes, that's right -- I get to stand here and prattle on about nothing in particular until the sound man in the booth waaay up there (points to sound booth) -- yes, that's him, the guy with the red hair and head phones -- decides he's had enough of this silliness and let's me know I should stop. Aha! I see by that possibly rude gesture that we've reached that point, and I can go back and do other important stage crew duties, whatever they may be. Thank you and enjoy the commencement!"

And I haven't been bothered by public speaking ever since. Not even the time I was nude.

The point is that Kat, whatever her fears were based on, has surpassed that barrier, and recognizes it. Those fears are now manageable, or maybe even extinct. The baggage has been sorted, shelved, and put behind her.
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
Dave

Post by Dave »

Atomic wrote:And I haven't been bothered by public speaking ever since. Not even the time I was nude.
And there, ladies and gentlemen, we have the best textbook-quality example of a "narrative hook" to have been posted anywhere during calendar year 2013. :mrgreen: :lol:
The point is that Kat, whatever her fears were based on, has surpassed that barrier, and recognizes it. Those fears are now manageable, or maybe even extinct. The baggage has been sorted, shelved, and put behind her.
Yes, that's how I see it. I'd even go so far as to put the moment of breakthrough as being here, or perhaps in the previous day's strip.
davids4250

Post by davids4250 »

Looking back over the Katherine/Atsali arc, there is one thing that is slightly bothering me: At the beginning, Sali had her wings and her clothing seemed to be perfectly intact. By the end, her wings had torn holes in her shirt. Why? Presumably, her clothing had been designed to accomodate her flying skills. Just a little curious is all.
No trees were harmed in sending this message, however, a large number of electrons were seriously inconvenienced
GuySmiley

Post by GuySmiley »

davids4250 wrote:Looking back over the Katherine/Atsali arc, there is one thing that is slightly bothering me: At the beginning, Sali had her wings and her clothing seemed to be perfectly intact. By the end, her wings had torn holes in her shirt. Why? Presumably, her clothing had been designed to accomodate her flying skills. Just a little curious is all.
I think she can deploy her wings to varying degrees. In the library and a few other places they stay fairly small but when she and Kath fell off the cliff she had them out in, presumably, full force for the rescue and they were much bigger then previously seen. Her legs turned full bird/siren form here too and she gained apse real feet in height. This is where her shirt and pant bottoms become badly torn.

There doesn't seem to be a 'one size fits all occasions' type of clothing for para normals.
"I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf mutes."
-The Laughing Man; GITS:SAC (originally from Holden Caulfield; Catcher in the Rye)