Would You Like That 2013-08-01

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
as363

Re: Would You Like That 2013-08-01

Post by as363 »

taaaaaa rhaaaaa rhaaaaa BOOOOOM de ayyyy ( repeat several times...)

Dilyv - upskirt???????????? for shame ....

Wonderful ending Mr.P - thank you !!!!!
Yamara

Post by Yamara »

Dave wrote:
Yamara wrote:Conflict is an ass! :D
Seems to me that if you've just come through a terrible conflict with a horrible, vengeful, hateful power from the past, and have faced down fear, pain, death, blithe uncaring, and thoughtless manipulation ...

... then the perfect response is to behave in the opposite of all of these ways. Exhibiting "greatness of heart" can be the best answer to the harmful deeds of the selfish.

Bravo, Katherine!
Bravissima. But it's even better than that, Dave. With the Li'l Atsali installments over the weekend previous, the concept of plot itself is spun down to the elemental place of the child, discovering, through Atsali, why adventure tales leave so much reality out in the first place. The bad guy lost, and your sister saved the day.

The complexities and follies of war and genocide and grasping for immortality are for the adults to clean up; the whispers in the other room that will merely tease a young curiosity, for now.

Edit: To wit: http://wapsisquare.com/comic/fairytale/
Last edited by Yamara on Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
PunPalsm the fastest way to pay the pun jar

Do Not Taunt Happy Fun Baal.
zachariah

Post by zachariah »

Hansontoons wrote:
I passed just north (on Hwy 380) of the Trinity site earlier this summer during a trip through New Mexico. It is a rather isolated area now, back in '45 even more so I would have to imagine.
Would you believe that the park had to restrict access as people were actually going out there to break off pieces of the glass and take them home as souvenirs!!!!
Ambush questions are fun. Watching the mental impact of them as they distort, or crumble, opinions based on faulty logic.
Yamara

Post by Yamara »

zachariah wrote:
Hansontoons wrote:
I passed just north (on Hwy 380) of the Trinity site earlier this summer during a trip through New Mexico. It is a rather isolated area now, back in '45 even more so I would have to imagine.
Would you believe that the park had to restrict access as people were actually going out there to break off pieces of the glass and take them home as souvenirs!!!!
Yes, and Darwin & Wallace have been proven right on the experimental level through bacteria, too!
PunPalsm the fastest way to pay the pun jar

Do Not Taunt Happy Fun Baal.
Hansontoons

Post by Hansontoons »

zachariah wrote:
Hansontoons wrote:
Yep. Access is now limited to twice a year and visitors must be accompanied. I missed the access date by a week or two, would have been an interesting stop.
Julie

Post by Julie »

Oh the happy-feels!! :D This is wonderful! Though I will admit I'm a little nervous about Castela being invited to join the adventure party. These ladies tend to have dangerous adventures, and a little tyke like Pickle could cause some problems for lack of knowing how to behave. Maybe Kat's just framing her invitation to be adopted that way to help Castela feel included?
Jay-Em wrote:
TheDOCTOR wrote:Well, Katherine did say she wanted an adventure. Looks like shes got a great one --- for Life. Katherine Gilchrist. Atsali Gilchrist, Castela Gilchrist, yup, it works. ;)
That...sounds loverly..

Although, suddenly thought of something: How will the kids handle Kat's ehrm "peculiar" housewear (or lack thereof)?? :P

There's going to be some mighty adapting going on with both parties, kids & Kat.
Nah...not a problem at all. My mom used to say that one of the perks of having a daughter was that she could wander the house in the buff if she wanted...because Dad obviously has seen it all before, and I have "the same parts" so it's not a big deal for me to see hers. :P Kat's gonna have two girls, so she can use the same "excuse" as my mom did...which may be for the best. I certainly credit her behavior for my lack of body-shyness. :)
"Just open your eyes
And see that life is beautiful."
analyst

Post by analyst »

Hansontoons wrote:
Dave wrote: And not even that, in this story arc. Due to the nuclear explosion, there is no bikini at all to be seen.

(Pours some heavy water into the Pun Jar)
Better be glad you made an offering after that one!

I think he was talking about the island going missing. "Due to the nuclear explosion, there is no Bikini atoll to be seen." He and I were thinking along the same line (thanks to Jay Ward), he was just on earlier than I was (c8.
Wdot

Post by Wdot »

Dave wrote:
zachariah wrote:
DilyV wrote:Um... Is Kath flashing upskirt in the next to last panel??!!
No. Paul doesn't do that type of fan service. He does Bikini's.
And not even that, in this story arc. Due to the nuclear explosion, there is no bikini at all to be seen.

Bad Dave! Not nearly enough heavy water to cover that atoll. ;)

I like happy resolutions and great beginnings!!! :D "Oh! Yes, please!" The feels!!
Make the wrong things difficult, and the right things easy. Notice the smallest change and the slightest try and reward him.
----Ray Hunt
Catawampus

Post by Catawampus »

Julie wrote:Though I will admit I'm a little nervous about Castela being invited to join the adventure party. These ladies tend to have dangerous adventures, and a little tyke like Pickle could cause some problems for lack of knowing how to behave. Maybe Kat's just framing her invitation to be adopted that way to help Castela feel included?
Or Castela could be the sort of person who you do want around in a dangerous situation. One of the themes in this comic is that things are seldom what first impressions imply them to be. Who knows what exactly she is or why her parents wanted to leave her at an orphanage? After all, this is a gal who cries barbed-wire tendril thingies. There's no telling what else she can do if she gets upset (I wonder if her last name is Evan?).

As for "MIB will help with day-care and schooling". . .I wonder if Granny Lily and Auntie Suzie, Agents of the MIB, are going to have a new mission starting. . .
Grantwhy

Post by Grantwhy »

DilyV wrote:She shoots... She Scores!!!

Kath took the additional twist of Castela better than I expected, though I'd say another adventure is juuuuuust beginning! Adventures in Parenting!
I suspect she already knew that Atsali and Castela had a very close bond and that Atsali might choose to stay with her rather than leave.

I'm guessing Katherine (and the MIB) had already spoken to Mr Meadows (and others?).
As a CareBearAnarchist I believe in the destruction and overthrow of the perils of society through random and senseless acts of consideration and kindness
Growing older is compulsory, growing up is optional
Dumb things happen to smart phones
Grantwhy

Post by Grantwhy »

MerchManDan wrote:Holy smokes, look at the resemblance. It's almost like fate.
*looks at Castela's eyes*
*looks at Katherine's eyes*

:?:

*looks at Castela's eyes*
*looks at Katherine's eyes*

"Cousin?"
As a CareBearAnarchist I believe in the destruction and overthrow of the perils of society through random and senseless acts of consideration and kindness
Growing older is compulsory, growing up is optional
Dumb things happen to smart phones
chicgeek

Post by chicgeek »

Now, I want to see the kids meet Oscar. And see the reactions of Katherine's fish to the kids.
Dave

Post by Dave »

analyst wrote:I think he was talking about the island going missing. "Due to the nuclear explosion, there is no Bikini atoll to be seen." He and I were thinking along the same line (thanks to Jay Ward), he was just on earlier than I was (c8.
All hail the name of the All-Father! And his prophet Peabody, to whose brilliance we can only aspire!

Yeah, exploding island, exploding desert... it all works! :)

Exposure to large amounts of Rocky and Bullwinkle at a tender age had a lot to do with the shape that my sense of humor is in today. I don't think I'm the only one around here for which that may be true.
Yamara wrote:But it's even better than that, Dave. With the Li'l Atsali installments over the weekend previous, the concept of plot itself is spun down to the elemental place of the child, discovering, through Atsali, why adventure tales leave so much reality out in the first place. The bad guy lost, and your sister saved the day.

The complexities and follies of war and genocide and grasping for immortality are for the adults to clean up; the whispers in the other room that will merely tease a young curiosity, for now.
You're right... it's two sides of the same fairy-tale coin. The original versions of the Grimm fairy tales were quite adult in flavor, and much darker that the childrens' versions usually told today.

There's another thing about today's outreach of kindness which confirms another good thing on the adult side of the fairy tale, too.

Katherine really has received a healing. She's broken through the shell of reclusiveness that she'd spun about herself in the time since the massacre at the Dead Sea dig.

We saw signs of this when she regained her strength and drive after the big cave-in, and again when she took on Tsillah for allowing Atsali to be "thrown away" again. She had power and strength back ...

... and today shows the other side of her restoration. She's won back her ability to reach out to others and to offer, from herself, what they need. She dares to care.

She's whole again, in an important way. I suspect she'll be tentative about it for a while, as she was with Atsali yesterday... it's going to take some time for her to re-learn her way in the world of people. She's still the Spider Woman (and I think we have a lot yet to discover about what that really means) but I have a feeling that the Recluse is going away for good.

She went looking for adventure. What she found, was herself. That makes it a really good adventure story!

Katherine and Shelly have a lot to talk about, one of these days.
zachariah

Post by zachariah »

analyst wrote:
Hansontoons wrote:
Dave wrote: And not even that, in this story arc. Due to the nuclear explosion, there is no bikini at all to be seen.

Better be glad you made an offering after that one!

I think he was talking about the island going missing. "Due to the nuclear explosion, there is no Bikini atoll to be seen." He and I were thinking along the same line (thanks to Jay Ward), he was just on earlier than I was (c8.
Actually it is not all gone. Some small parts of it are left. I was on Kwajalien years ago and talked to a research team that was monitoring and testing the atoll and it's ecology for long term effects of the test. The radiation is way down but some of the changes in the local sea life area startling. Especially in the coral. So while the pun was a good it wasn't right atoll.

Drops a Geiger counter and sample case into the jar.
Ambush questions are fun. Watching the mental impact of them as they distort, or crumble, opinions based on faulty logic.
illiad

Post by illiad »

DilyV wrote: Um... Is Kath flashing upskirt in the next to last panel??!!
gawd... dont be **so** desperate!!! that's a bit like the report a few days ago, some rag saying they have seen (they outlined it in red) {{famous star}}'s 'private area' (edited for decency.. :P ) - - its not even *near* the 'bikini line' .... :P
kingklash

Post by kingklash »

chicgeek wrote:Now, I want to see the kids meet Oscar. And see the reactions of Katherine's fish to the kids.
*bloop!*
analyst

Post by analyst »

All hail the name of the All-Father! And his prophet Peabody, to whose brilliance we can only aspire!

Yeah, exploding island, exploding desert... it all works! :)

Exposure to large amounts of Rocky and Bullwinkle at a tender age had a lot to do with the shape that my sense of humor is in today. I don't think I'm the only one around here for which that may be true.

[/quote]
And actually, now that I think about it, it is more of a Bob Clampett reference, (Beany and Cecil, versus Bullwinkle and friends). Bob was the king of terrible puns (remember Tearalong, the dotted lion?)
DilyV

Post by DilyV »

scantrontb wrote:
DilyV wrote:Um... Is Kath flashing upskirt in the next to last panel??!!
You!, Miss DilyV are a twisted, perverted person to think that Paul would have to resort to that kind of fan-service to keep his readership.... huh, I Knew there was something i liked about you!... :D

though seriously, i agree with shadowinthelight: nothing worse than what we see on American TV now-days, and barely that if even...
I realize its a small reveal, really tiny really, and its not as risqué say, as Atsali realizing by experience how soft Kath's breasts are... but I noticed it. I'm not saying it was intentional on Kath's part either. We've seen more risqué from Monica, Shelly, Bud, Brandi and Jin. Kath has become more and more attractive during this latest adventure and I believe its a result of finding her self esteem. It's a good thing to see.
You know that light at the end of the tunnel?

Yeah... it's a bullet. Sorry.
NOTDilbert

Post by NOTDilbert »

For convenience' sake, the Wapsi ladies might want to get themselves a large townhouse/nice apartment building and move the Minneapolis-dwelling cast members into the same building. Jin probably owns two or three....

Oh, and as for a babysitter for Pickle and Atsali, who could be more fun than Nudge?
"Imagination is more important than Knowledge" - Albert Einstein
"History doesn't repeat itself, but it DOES rhyme" - Mark Twain
"Always. Expect. Ninjas." - Syndey Scoville
donoho

Post by donoho »

Aaaaaand Tearing up at work. Again. I should really stop playing catch-up in the office, but I'm not really ashamed of being a major weeper.