Little Castela 2013-07-29

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
User avatar
Jabberwonky
Posts: 2963
Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:11 am
Location: Houston, Texas

Little Castela 2013-07-29

Post by Jabberwonky » Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:12 am

Okay, I'm sure Mr. Meadows is a nice...person. But, it would still make me nervous to see him carrying a small child...

(I want to hold a baby griffon, too.)
"The price of perfection is prohibitive." - Anonymous

User avatar
DilyV
Posts: 1768
Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:03 pm

Re: Little Castela 2013-07-29

Post by DilyV » Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:16 am

It doesn't sound like the people running this orphanage are too god awful bad... but still... I imagine not having your parents for whatever reason is painful. I hope Atsali is able to convince "the people from the library" to accept pickle too...
You know that light at the end of the tunnel?

Yeah... it's a bullet. Sorry.

User avatar
Dave
Posts: 7099
Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2012 5:58 pm
Location: Mountain View, CA, USA

Re: Little Castela 2013-07-29

Post by Dave » Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:17 am

Jabberwonky wrote:Okay, I'm sure Mr. Meadows is a nice...person. But, it would still make me nervous to see him carrying a small child...
But he's clearly a dab hand with a bottle full of formula (or blood, or elixer, or jet fuel, or ??)... too cute! I'm sure there's nothing to worry about.

User avatar
Wyvern
Posts: 387
Joined: Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:29 pm
Location: In front of a computer.

Re: Little Castela 2013-07-29

Post by Wyvern » Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:18 am

And here's Sobek?
You should be reading the Wapsi Square Wiki.

User avatar
Atomic
Posts: 2728
Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:39 am
Location: Central PA
Contact:

Re: Little Castela 2013-07-29

Post by Atomic » Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:20 am

Wyvern wrote:And here's Sobek?
Why, of course! After all, among his various skills, he served additionally as a protective deity with apotropaic qualities. The orphanage is in good hands. Claws. Teeth. Whatever.
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff

zachariah
Posts: 1470
Joined: Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:22 am

Re: Little Castela 2013-07-29

Post by zachariah » Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:23 am

This is still an orphanage running on a very small budget. I guess he copes as best he can.

But who is waiting to see Sali? Kathy of Tsillah?
Ambush questions are fun. Watching the mental impact of them as they distort, or crumble, opinions based on faulty logic.

zachariah
Posts: 1470
Joined: Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:22 am

Re: Little Castela 2013-07-29

Post by zachariah » Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:24 am

I shouldn't but can't resist.

The whole place is nothing but a croc!
Ambush questions are fun. Watching the mental impact of them as they distort, or crumble, opinions based on faulty logic.

User avatar
Dave
Posts: 7099
Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2012 5:58 pm
Location: Mountain View, CA, USA

Re: Little Castela 2013-07-29

Post by Dave » Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:25 am

Wyvern wrote:And here's Sobek?
As one can understand from this text alone, Sobek was considered a violent, hyper-sexual, and erratic deity, prone to his primal whims. The origin of his name, Sbk in ancient Egyptian, is debated among scholars, but many believe that it is derived from a causative of the verb "to impregnate."

Somehow, not quite what I would look for in an orphanage staff position. Apotropaic he may be, but not the best choice to protect children... unless perhaps he's gotten a bad rap and his reputation is undeserved?

zachariah
Posts: 1470
Joined: Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:22 am

Re: Little Castela 2013-07-29

Post by zachariah » Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:27 am

Dave wrote:
Jabberwonky wrote:Okay, I'm sure Mr. Meadows is a nice...person. But, it would still make me nervous to see him carrying a small child...
But he's clearly a dab hand with a bottle full of formula (or blood, or elixer, or jet fuel, or ??)... too cute! I'm sure there's nothing to worry about.
The bottle is full of Gatorade.

Drop an energy drink in the jar.
Ambush questions are fun. Watching the mental impact of them as they distort, or crumble, opinions based on faulty logic.

User avatar
GuySmiley
Posts: 146
Joined: Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:44 pm
Location: Winnipeg, MB, Canada

Re: Little Castela 2013-07-29

Post by GuySmiley » Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:37 am

Dave wrote:
Wyvern wrote:And here's Sobek?
As one can understand from this text alone, Sobek was considered a violent, hyper-sexual, and erratic deity, prone to his primal whims. The origin of his name, Sbk in ancient Egyptian, is debated among scholars, but many believe that it is derived from a causative of the verb "to impregnate."

Somehow, not quite what I would look for in an orphanage staff position. Apotropaic he may be, but not the best choice to protect children... unless perhaps he's gotten a bad rap and his reputation is undeserved?
We've seen more than a few beings get a bad rap (and vice versa in the case of the Nu Gui) so I wouldn't hold that against him.

Besides, it could be worse. They could all be stuck with Strax. :twisted:
"I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf mutes."
-The Laughing Man; GITS:SAC (originally from Holden Caulfield; Catcher in the Rye)

User avatar
Opus the Poet
Posts: 1991
Joined: Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:24 am
Location: Surrounded by Hell
Contact:

Re: Little Castela 2013-07-29

Post by Opus the Poet » Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:38 am

Dave wrote:
Wyvern wrote:And here's Sobek?
As one can understand from this text alone, Sobek was considered a violent, hyper-sexual, and erratic deity, prone to his primal whims. The origin of his name, Sbk in ancient Egyptian, is debated among scholars, but many believe that it is derived from a causative of the verb "to impregnate."

Somehow, not quite what I would look for in an orphanage staff position. Apotropaic he may be, but not the best choice to protect children... unless perhaps he's gotten a bad rap and his reputation is undeserved?
Are you kidding? Paul has set up the Wapsiverse so that most of the feared violent deities and demi-gods are just the recipients of bad PR, or had just the one episode that was misinterpreted.
I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.

User avatar
NOTDilbert
Posts: 1065
Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2012 2:39 am
Location: Western Arkansas, USA

Re: Little Castela 2013-07-29

Post by NOTDilbert » Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:45 am

And Dang! They can swaddle a baby old-school in this place - that young-un ain't goin' anywhere it ain't carried....

*poit*

....I stand corrected. "Come back here, Jack-Jack!"
"Imagination is more important than Knowledge" - Albert Einstein
"History doesn't repeat itself, but it DOES rhyme" - Mark Twain
"Always. Expect. Ninjas." - Syndey Scoville

User avatar
KnightDelight
Posts: 521
Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:41 pm

Re: Little Castela 2013-07-29

Post by KnightDelight » Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:49 am

Dave wrote:Somehow, not quite what I would look for in an orphanage staff position. Apotropaic he may be, but not the best choice to protect children... unless perhaps he's gotten a bad rap and his reputation is undeserved?
Well, considering some of his charges natures, it may be they need someone with a tough hide to withstand the claws, teeth, barbed wire tears, of the inmates.

I'm thinking Meadows is probably not croc guy's actual name. But his real name, which probably means something like "He who eats your young alive," was not quite right for his current duties.

Paul does like to throw curves at us. Seems at least some of the staff aren't so bad. What I wonder is how he forms words with a head like that?
DANGEROUSLY UNDER-MEDICATED
If we are what we eat, then I'm easy, fast, and cheap

User avatar
Mark N
Posts: 1370
Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:51 pm
Location: Central Florida

Re: Little Castela 2013-07-29

Post by Mark N » Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:00 am

And now we find that the orphanage may not be as cruelly run as some were thinking. We also now know our new girls name and proof that young Castela is a thorny subject.

(puts a sample of thorn bushes into the punjar)
This message is brought to you by the "Let the artist know how much you LOVE his work" council.

zachariah
Posts: 1470
Joined: Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:22 am

Re: Little Castela 2013-07-29

Post by zachariah » Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:04 am

NOTDilbert wrote:And Dang! They can swaddle a baby old-school in this place - that young-un ain't goin' anywhere it ain't carried....

*poit*

....I stand corrected. "Come back here, Jack-Jack!"
Swaddling was often done in marginal to bad orphanages as they did not have the staff to handle active babies. In orphanages around 1900 a large percentage of babies in the orphanages did not survive the lack of activity, the poor food, or sickness from being packed together. It was not uncommon to put 10 or more swaddled babies on one bed and change them maybe once a day.
Makes you wonder how this place is handling them, and how many they have. I am not too sure if it is a good sign that the place is doing that. A lot of the paranormals often display sociopathic tendencies. I imagine it is not uncommon for some of them to just dump any unwanted child and the MIB would clean them up. Pick them up and drop them off at this place. Probably a lot of cross breeds here as well. I think there are a lot more of those than we suspect as well.
Ambush questions are fun. Watching the mental impact of them as they distort, or crumble, opinions based on faulty logic.

User avatar
shadowinthelight
Posts: 2569
Joined: Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:49 pm
Location: Somewhere, TX
Contact:

Re: Little Castela 2013-07-29

Post by shadowinthelight » Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:15 am

This place has the makings of a Wapsi spinoff: Paranorphanage
Julie, about Wapsi Square wrote:Oh goodness yes. So much paranormal!

Image My deviantART and YouTube.
I'm done thinking for today! It's caused me enough trouble!

User avatar
MerchManDan
Posts: 1674
Joined: Fri Aug 03, 2012 3:40 am
Location: Somewhere else.
Contact:

Re: Little Castela 2013-07-29

Post by MerchManDan » Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:17 am

Gotta admit, I'd have difficulty resisting the urge to hold a baby griffon...and then make a run for it. :mrgreen: Actually, I'd just be content visiting a zoo that HAS griffons. What other cryptids would they have?

"Am I in trouble?" I don't know why it amuses me, that THAT is the first thing to come to Atsali's mind.
"Give orange me give eat orange me eat orange give me eat orange give me you." - Nim the chimp
Image
Animation courtesy of shadowinthelight (thanks again!)

User avatar
Timotheus
Posts: 376
Joined: Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:17 pm
Location: Another Place, Another Time

Re: Little Castela 2013-07-29

Post by Timotheus » Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:18 am

zachariah wrote:Swaddling was often done in marginal to bad orphanages as they did not have the staff to handle active babies. In orphanages around 1900 a large percentage of babies in the orphanages did not survive the lack of activity, the poor food, or sickness from being packed together. It was not uncommon to put 10 or more swaddled babies on one bed and change them maybe once a day.
Makes you wonder how this place is handling them, and how many they have. I am not too sure if it is a good sign that the place is doing that. A lot of the paranormals often display sociopathic tendencies. I imagine it is not uncommon for some of them to just dump any unwanted child and the MIB would clean them up. Pick them up and drop them off at this place. Probably a lot of cross breeds here as well. I think there are a lot more of those than we suspect as well.
Swaddling was the normal method of handling newborns through two-three year olds for much of human history. (Note that the Xmas story has baby Jesus wrapped in swaddling clothes before being laid in a manger.) Women had a great deal of work to do in maintaining households and couldn't spend a great deal of time with young children. So they were immobilized so they couldn't hurt themselves and placed in cradles or carry baskets or on tables or other devices created for them and moved around from work area to work area. They might get rocked or sung to depending on circumstances but just as often were ignored, especially if there were two or three of them. Luckier ones had older siblings that would help keep an eye on them.

Just pointing out that swaddling by itself isn't that big of a deal.
If I Knew What I Was Doing I'd Be Dangerous.
Nov shmoz ka pop?

User avatar
DilyV
Posts: 1768
Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:03 pm

Re: Little Castela 2013-07-29

Post by DilyV » Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:04 am

The first thing that went through my mind when I saw the baby was "Thup"... only without the large black eyes. Maybe it's a Thup's distant relative, Thip... :lol: :lol: :lol:
You know that light at the end of the tunnel?

Yeah... it's a bullet. Sorry.

User avatar
shadowinthelight
Posts: 2569
Joined: Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:49 pm
Location: Somewhere, TX
Contact:

Re: Little Castela 2013-07-29

Post by shadowinthelight » Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:34 am

DilyV wrote:The first thing that went through my mind when I saw the baby was "Thup"... only without the large black eyes. Maybe it's a Thup's distant relative, Thip... :lol: :lol: :lol:
Thap's ridiculous. Maybe next time you should thop and pay more attention.
Julie, about Wapsi Square wrote:Oh goodness yes. So much paranormal!

Image My deviantART and YouTube.
I'm done thinking for today! It's caused me enough trouble!

Post Reply