Not Real 2013-07-25

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
Dave

Re: Not Real 2013-07-25

Post by Dave »

zachariah wrote:All Sali is doing now is hurting inside. I doubt he is thinking about anything else than herself and how she's been dumped on again. Her words that it's a fake and not real are how SHE feels about what just happened. She thought Kathy cared and now thinks that Kathy just dumped her after it was all over. So whatever feeling was between them was a fake. So she lashes out.
I agree... you're precisely right on here.

Let's see:
  • Happy, exuberant, imagination-filled childhood... I'd guess she received lots of love.
  • Terrible loss (parents gone).
  • Sterile, confining, lonely isolation in the orphanage.
  • One ray of light - the times in the Library, and the books she could read. Stories of adventure... dreams... the hope of something of that sort to restore some richness to her own life. Hope is all she has.
  • An opportunity! An adventure! Katherine arrives, and the door opens...
  • ... to fear, terror, pain, and a terrible burden. The world out there isn't what it was portrayed to be.
  • Success! The evil one exorcised, the goal achieved...
  • ... and she's tossed away into sterility again, without reward, without thanks, with only her memories.
it's no wonder she cries "It's all fake!" The tales of adventure were a lie (by omission at least). The happy homecoming for the heroes doesn't exist. Her hope is gone.

It's easier to believe that there's no love or happiness anywhere, that it's all a lie, and that hope is a trap...

... than it is to believe that love and justice do exist, but that they are specifically denied to you.

:cry:
Yamara

Post by Yamara »

Apparently Atsali's middle name is "Holden".
Dave wrote:it's no wonder she cries "It's all fake!" The tales of adventure were a lie (by omission at least). The happy homecoming for the heroes doesn't exist. Her hope is gone.
Children trying to explain the hard facts of the world to each other never works out very well. Brains don't work like that.
PunPalsm the fastest way to pay the pun jar

Do Not Taunt Happy Fun Baal.
My2Cents

Post by My2Cents »

zachariah wrote:Today it is even clearer that the room has no door. Whoever mentioned the using of buddies to keep watch on each other as a control method nailed that one. This is not a nice orphanage. More like a warehouse for unwanted kids that does the minimum it has to and pockets anything above that. I just hope Sali is recused before this changes her into something she won't like being. This kind of hurt at that age can go deep and last a long time.
Look the the right of the little devils head in the 2nd frame of yesterday's post and the 1st frame of today's. Looks like the middle hinge on a door to me.

Atsali has a corner room (1st frame of yesterday's) with at least 3, and probably 4, windows that open without bars. Haven’t seen enough, but it seems likely this is a single occupancy room as well.

The windows say that Atsali is not a runaway risk and basically a good kid, but given her age is unlikely to be adopted or fostered by anyone. So she either has other problems, or more likely has only been an orphan for a couple years and understands that the universe isn’t fair. Poor kid.

I suspect that Kathryn is going to show up soon say “I’ve got a new adventure and need my partner.” It will be another ‘Squeeee’ moment. But it could get interesting when Kathryn starts delving into Atsali background, the death/abandonment of her parents may have elements in common with Kathryn’s Dead Sea dig.

It is also going to be interesting as to how Kathryn responds if she gets to see the other orphans. Monica has her support group of Shelly and the GGs, maybe Kathryn is going to get one formed of multitalented supernatural orphans she fosters. It would be fun seeing her go through teaching them how to hide and survive in the human world.
Last edited by My2Cents on Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
While misery loves company, chaos brings along friends.
zachariah

Post by zachariah »

My2Cents wrote:
zachariah wrote:Today it is even clearer that the room has no door. Whoever mentioned the using of buddies to keep watch on each other as a control method nailed that one. This is not a nice orphanage. More like a warehouse for unwanted kids that does the minimum it has to and pockets anything above that. I just hope Sali is recused before this changes her into something she won't like being. This kind of hurt at that age can go deep and last a long time.
Look the the right of the little devils head in the 2nd frame of yesterday's post and the 1st frame of today's. Looks like the middle hinge on a door to me.

Atsali has a corner room (1st frame of yesterday's) with at least 3, and probably 4, windows that open without bars. Haven’t seen enough, but it seems likely this is a single occupancy room as well.

The windows say that Atsali is not a runaway risk and basically a good kid, but given her age is unlikely to be adopted or fostered by anyone. So she either has other problems, or more likely has orphaned only been an orphan for a couple years and understands that the universe isn’t fair. Poor kid.
That is only half of a hinge, the part attached to the frame has the middle part empty. If there was a door the middle section would be filled in. Typical hinge is two pivots on the frame, three on the door. So the door is not there.

We have no idea how large the room is so it could be single but probably is not. The area is very bare of anything else so why would they was space on a single child. Most likely there is at least one other person the room is shared in.

As to the screen we can only guess how strong the screens are. But nost screen in institutions are heavier than normal just to last longer and would deter a child. Breaking out through one of them would be very noticeable as well. It probably is a security feature, but not an obvious one, to insure they do stay put. I agree Sali is most likely not rated as high risk for running away but she is not totally trusted.

Another bad sign is they are not allowed to personalize their living spaces either. No pictures, posters, or other items allowed. Just bare walls, a room, and a bed. Pretty bleak living are to me. Kinds looks more like a prison than a real orphanage. We also need to remember that the clothes Sali wore in the library, and now, are very plain and look really low cost. Another sign that this place doesn't spend money on them if it can help it.

What they should do is take the kids out and burn it down and force the owners to build a real home for these kids. I consider it criminal that any group is allowed treat them this way. Whoever is running this should be found, charged, and put in prison. Then go after the sponsors for not paying attention to it.
Ambush questions are fun. Watching the mental impact of them as they distort, or crumble, opinions based on faulty logic.
Mark N

Post by Mark N »

I have been thinking about the orphanage system for the SN's. If the other species culture's work like the Sphinx culture then the bleak living conditions would be expected to toughen the kids up for a long life in a tough (creature eat creature) world. That being said, I am hoping that we are all misreading the backgrounds and what they mean.
If not then the long lost daughter/mother (w/partner) team-up will be a fun change to a badly broken institution. If it is that the system is doing this on the cheap then it follows since Jin did say that the Immortal Politicians were "quite greedy".
I can see how the new system would work:
Brandi teaching the kids science and literature. Bud teaching dance. Shelly with phys-ed, music (she does have a degree in it) and mechanics. Tepoz can teach history (along with Monica and Katherine) and brewery science and cooking. Monica at vacuum tube acoustics and some archeology (she would have to share that with Katherine). Maya with botany and long lost science (magic). Jin at economics and tactics (well she outsmarted the immortal politicians to make herself rich). Katherine can do textiles (home-EC) along weith previously mentioned activities. And Monica can arrange for good Photography teacher from time to time. :geek: (I know I'm being an absolute smart ass here but what can ya do?) :roll:
This message is brought to you by the "Let the artist know how much you LOVE his work" council.
pcj70

Post by pcj70 »

I want to the the daemon/Minotaur girl a hug, maybe they both will be adopted by Kathy.
donoho

Post by donoho »

1) She's MORE adorable in each frame today
2) Is she cracking? or is she crying? Or some combination of the two?
3) Today is Thursday meaning this is only a build up (Damn It!)
4) Best case scenario, Kath walks in and checks Sali for being mean with a Huge Hug, leaving adorable demon girl with a what about me to be resolved next week. Too nice? Too sappy? :p
shadowinthelight

Post by shadowinthelight »

Mark N wrote:Katherine can do textiles (home-EC)
It would be interesting to watch her teach a class how to cook squirrel.
Julie, about Wapsi Square wrote:Oh goodness yes. So much paranormal!

Image My deviantART and YouTube.
I'm done thinking for today! It's caused me enough trouble!
Dave

Post by Dave »

donoho wrote:2) Is she cracking? or is she crying? Or some combination of the two?
I'm getting a "crackling dark electricity of sadness" vibe here, if that makes any sense. I have a feeling that this youngster may be packing some serious mojo, although she may not yet know how to direct it.
shadowinthelight wrote:
Mark N wrote:Katherine can do textiles (home-EC)
It would be interesting to watch her teach a class how to cook squirrel.
There appears to be lots of freely-available source material for her to use as a textbook. Some is even provided by The Government!
DilyV

Post by DilyV »

It is hard for someone who is hurting themselves to understand that their actions might be hurting someone else. Hopefully The smaller girl's feelings will make Atsali think about that...
You know that light at the end of the tunnel?

Yeah... it's a bullet. Sorry.
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

Atsali is gonna feel so bad about this in a while.

Hopefully, not too late.
Not even duct tape can fix stupid. But it can muffle the noise.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
bmonk

Post by bmonk »

Yamara wrote:Apparently Atsali's middle name is "Holden".
Dave wrote:it's no wonder she cries "It's all fake!" The tales of adventure were a lie (by omission at least). The happy homecoming for the heroes doesn't exist. Her hope is gone.
Children trying to explain the hard facts of the world to each other never works out very well. Brains don't work like that.
There is one hope left: This is not quite the end of the story.
bmonk

Post by bmonk »

zachariah wrote: . . .
Another bad sign is they are not allowed to personalize their living spaces either. No pictures, posters, or other items allowed. Just bare walls, a room, and a bed. Pretty bleak living are to me. Kinds looks more like a prison than a real orphanage. We also need to remember that the clothes Sali wore in the library, and now, are very plain and look really low cost. Another sign that this place doesn't spend money on them if it can help it.

What they should do is take the kids out and burn it down and force the owners to build a real home for these kids. I consider it criminal that any group is allowed treat them this way. Whoever is running this should be found, charged, and put in prison. Then go after the sponsors for not paying attention to it.
North Dakota had a Grafton State School that got sued 30 years ago for this sort of "care"--the real problem was the far-too-small budget, not to mention public attitudes towards children with developmental disabilities. The local Public Television system did a special, "I Am a Person" on the results. The state schools still exist, but primarily as a short-term placement, focused on developing needed skills, and with a much improved per-capita budget. (I do know at least two of the persons mentioned in the documentary.)
bmonk

Post by bmonk »

Fairportfan wrote:Atsali is gonna feel so bad about this in a while.

Hopefully, not too late.
I think she is already repenting.
KnightDelight

Post by KnightDelight »

Ya know, it's not always a question of funding that is the problem. That's government's solution, throw more money at the problem. The kids at this orphanage have a roof over their heads, a bed to sleep in, food to eat, clothes to wear. They have the basics to live. That's more than millions of the world's children have. What they need is attention and activities to do. That doesn't cost much at all. It's more a question of attitude than money. No matter if their surrounding are sparse, they can still have a good time and be happy. This place is probably run on a strict timetable with an emphasis on order and quiet. That's the real problem.

Who knows, maybe Atsali and Pickle will make a break for it now that Atsali has had a taste of freedom and real adventure. After all, how ya gonna keep 'em down on the farm after they've seen (and been part of) the magic? They may show up on Kath's doorstep with a couple of dead squirrels as an offering.
DANGEROUSLY UNDER-MEDICATED
If we are what we eat, then I'm easy, fast, and cheap
Mark N

Post by Mark N »

KnightDelight wrote:Ya know, it's not always a question of funding that is the problem. That's government's solution, throw more money at the problem. The kids at this orphanage have a roof over their heads, a bed to sleep in, food to eat, clothes to wear. They have the basics to live. That's more than millions of the world's children have. What they need is attention and activities to do. That doesn't cost much at all. It's more a question of attitude than money. No matter if their surrounding are sparse, they can still have a good time and be happy. This place is probably run on a strict timetable with an emphasis on order and quiet. That's the real problem.

Who knows, maybe Atsali and Pickle will make a break for it now that Atsali has had a taste of freedom and real adventure. After all, how ya gonna keep 'em down on the farm after they've seen (and been part of) the magic? They may show up on Kath's doorstep with a couple of dead squirrels as an offering.
That would be a hoot. But I am just hoping that Paul lets us know what sort of mythical she is.
This message is brought to you by the "Let the artist know how much you LOVE his work" council.