Where Did You Go 2013-07-24

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
TheDOCTOR
Location: Pittsburgh,Pa. via Gallifrey, in Constallation of Kastaborus

Re: Where Did You Go 2013-07-24

Post by TheDOCTOR »

Aed wrote:With a few details: the metal frame cot (army cot?), the steam radiator, and the windows and screens, Paul shows this place to be an institution. Probably quite old (steam heat) and behind the times (no central heat and air, only raised windows and screens). While not shown in the picture such institutions in the real world frequently consist of open dormitories with little furniture other than the bed, maybe a chest at the foot of the bed, and a wardrobe, or lockers of some kind standing parallel to the side of the bed to give the illusion of privacy.

Atsali seems to have lucked out and obtained a corner spot with a little more light and air.

While the person in frame 2 could be another orphan, the brief conversation sounds more like something between a dorm mother and dorm resident. After all why would Atsali wish to hide her big adventure from her fellow orphans? Dorm mother, sure. If Atsali ends up being grounded for disappearing at the library, imagine what kind of trouble she'd be in for doing anything really dangerous.
When I logged on the first thing I saw were the windows - Which looked like IRON BARS like in a Jail Cell. and I will admit I...almost cried seeing poor Atsali sitting on her cot.
Julie wrote:Aaaand now I have "It's a Hard Knock Life" stuck in my head. :roll: I know that this isn't a funny scene, but there were plenty of heart-warming and sad scenes in Annie...and that's the first song that popped into my head seeing the furniture of this orphanage. If/when Kat shows up, I'm pretty sure that "We Got Annie" and/or "I Think I'm Gonna Like It Here" will get stuck in my head. :P

Love the touches of color on today's page that link it to the memories we've seen over the past few days. :)
Funny I was thinking 'Oliver Twist' "Where is Love". ;)
donoho

Post by donoho »

I think Sali looks younger here (aside from memory lane) that at any other point in the story. She actually looks like a little girl, vs the teenager who whisked Kath away at the beginning of the adventure. The other (Adorable) demon looks like a dorm mate/orphan to me, either the same age or younger than Sali.
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

donoho wrote:The other (Adorable) demon looks like a dorm mate/orphan to me, either the same age or younger than Sali.
Probably her library buddy, worried she might be gonna get in trouble because she lost Atsali.
Not even duct tape can fix stupid. But it can muffle the noise.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
bmonk

Post by bmonk »

Fairportfan wrote:No, i figure she's another orphan; she seems to be wearing a nightie.
That, plus her head seems about on a level with the windowsill.
kingklash

Post by kingklash »

Poor baby bird. She needs one of those hugs Monica was giving out.
Kingmaker

Post by Kingmaker »

And here I am thinking that if Kath doesn't show up in a few days I'm going ot be raising money to adopt Atsali myself...

Kath better show up.

I hope this is good news for Mr. Taylor that his father is doing better...

Loved the images of Atsali's adventures. :D made a day of frustration turn around on a dime. :)
"But when they said, "Give us a king to lead us," this displeased Samuel; so he prayed to the LORD"
1 Samuel 8:6

Sometimes being the Kingmaker is harder than it sounds, especially when people don't know what they are getting into.
KnightDelight

Post by KnightDelight »

Where is this place? On earth? In some human city? Seems like it from the architecture. I suppose all the kids can morph into a human form when humans come around to inspect it. Or the MIB takes care of keeping it a secret.

Once again she is in human form when she doesn't need to be. There seems to be a Pinocchio aspect to her. I think she wants very much to be human and live in the human world instead of her people's world.
DANGEROUSLY UNDER-MEDICATED
If we are what we eat, then I'm easy, fast, and cheap
Dave

Post by Dave »

donoho wrote:I think Sali looks younger here (aside from memory lane) that at any other point in the story. She actually looks like a little girl, vs the teenager who whisked Kath away at the beginning of the adventure. The other (Adorable) demon looks like a dorm mate/orphan to me, either the same age or younger than Sali.
She seems to be quite short... looks to me as if her head just barely comes up to the bottom of the window. Of course, since she's not human, her height isn't necessarily a good indication of her age... but I do tend to favor "fellow orphan" as opposed to "den mother".
DilyV wrote:Atsali's little friend reminded me of Nightcrawler... I'm surprised we didn't hear her when she BAMF'd in...?
House rules, I suppose. No BAMFing in the dorms. Probably no pillow-fights, either... they get snagged in the kids' horns.
Julie wrote:Love the touches of color on today's page that link it to the memories we've seen over the past few days. :)
Yes. It also invokes the "color fades away as Dorothy returns from the wonderful land of Oz, to the grey sameness of Kansas" effect.

We gotta get out of this place,
If it's the last thing we ever do!
We gotta get out of this place,
Girl, there's a better life for me and you!
Mark N

Post by Mark N »

If you rework the original concept then cast Little Orphan Atsali as an Annie replacement then Kath would be Mama Kat and she would have an Auntie Warbucks in Jin (maybe rename Warbucks as Bigbucks??). :P
This message is brought to you by the "Let the artist know how much you LOVE his work" council.
Opus the Poet

Post by Opus the Poet »

This was what I was talking about in my post on the previous strip/poster that Pablo did. Except I was thinking about integrating the poster strips into the storyline...
I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
zachariah

Post by zachariah »

Don't know if anyone noticed but in panel two the hinges on the door frame indicate that the room has no door at all. This implies they do not allow the residents any privacy, or are afraid to let them have it. This might be more like a minimum security holding place for troubled teens, or disturbed kids. With Sali's headstrong approach to doing things I can very easily see an institution labeling her as a problem child who won't meekly toe the line and behave the way they want. I would bet the window screens are not there so much to keep bugs out as to make sure it keeps the kids in. This would effective make Sali feel she was living in a cage. Now she's right back in it after a few hours of glorious freedom and excitement.
Ambush questions are fun. Watching the mental impact of them as they distort, or crumble, opinions based on faulty logic.
Julie

Post by Julie »

Dave wrote:
DilyV wrote:Atsali's little friend reminded me of Nightcrawler... I'm surprised we didn't hear her when she BAMF'd in...?
House rules, I suppose. No BAMFing in the dorms. Probably no pillow-fights, either... they get snagged in the kids' horns.
BAHAHA!! Truth! :D
Dave wrote:
Julie wrote:Love the touches of color on today's page that link it to the memories we've seen over the past few days. :)
Yes. It also invokes the "color fades away as Dorothy returns from the wonderful land of Oz, to the grey sameness of Kansas" effect.
Very true! :) I hadn't thought about that...makes it all seem like a dream.
"Just open your eyes
And see that life is beautiful."