Where Did You Go 2013-07-24

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
Fairportfan

Where Did You Go 2013-07-24

Post by Fairportfan »

Awww. Poor little birdbrain.

==============

"Where did you go?"

"Out"

"What did you do?"

"Nothing"
Not even duct tape can fix stupid. But it can muffle the noise.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
Fairportfan

Re: Where Did You Go 2013-07-24

Post by Fairportfan »

pensive.jpg
pensive.jpg (40.44 KiB) Viewed 9124 times
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
Dave

Post by Dave »

Any guesses as to the species of Atsali's dark-eyed orphan friend? I can't recall offhand any entities from Western mythology with distinguishing tattoos. Maori, perhaps?

(A nice display of pensive symmetry, Fairportfan!)
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

I was actually originally thinking of just the faces, but when i found the one with Shelly, i realised it was identical body language all the way, right down to the wings.

==========

I find it interesting that Atsali has manifested her wings, but not her legs.

============

Tomorrow - "Atsali, you have a visitor"?
Last edited by Fairportfan on Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
=====================
=====================
mike weber
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

I think our friend has taken some heat for the stories of her past adventures. And now doesn't want to share the story of her real adventure.
Poor kid.
"The price of perfection is prohibitive." - Anonymous
davids4250

Post by davids4250 »

Good one, FPF!

I'm kinda thinking that Sali won't be there too long.
No trees were harmed in sending this message, however, a large number of electrons were seriously inconvenienced
Aed

Post by Aed »

With a few details: the metal frame cot (army cot?), the steam radiator, and the windows and screens, Paul shows this place to be an institution. Probably quite old (steam heat) and behind the times (no central heat and air, only raised windows and screens). While not shown in the picture such institutions in the real world frequently consist of open dormitories with little furniture other than the bed, maybe a chest at the foot of the bed, and a wardrobe, or lockers of some kind standing parallel to the side of the bed to give the illusion of privacy.

Atsali seems to have lucked out and obtained a corner spot with a little more light and air.

While the person in frame 2 could be another orphan, the brief conversation sounds more like something between a dorm mother and dorm resident. After all why would Atsali wish to hide her big adventure from her fellow orphans? Dorm mother, sure. If Atsali ends up being grounded for disappearing at the library, imagine what kind of trouble she'd be in for doing anything really dangerous.
Ohnhai

Post by Ohnhai »

And just like that the apparent run of really sweet pin-ups become a bitter sweet journey down memory lane.. Well played sir :)

That was beautiful.
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

No, i figure she's another orphan; she seems to be wearing a nightie.

Someone suggested that Atsali's fellow orphans have made fun of her daydreams and "adventures" to the point that she doesn't talk about them an more.

Or, perhaps, she's still processing the difference between a real "adventure" and a book adventure.
=====================
=====================
mike weber
NOTDilbert

Post by NOTDilbert »

Fairportfan wrote: I find it interesting that Atsali has manifested her wings, but not her legs.

The only time I remember her 'bird legs' was when she met Katherine for the first time at the Library. The flying scenes on their adventure - seems like there were wings only - other than during the 'escape' from the Library.

And - the first frame is the very definition of 'let down'.
"Imagination is more important than Knowledge" - Albert Einstein
"History doesn't repeat itself, but it DOES rhyme" - Mark Twain
"Always. Expect. Ninjas." - Syndey Scoville
shadowinthelight

Post by shadowinthelight »

Yeah, nice emotional gut punch after the Little Atsali pics. :(

Still, this is where my mind went upon seeing the new girl:
Julie, about Wapsi Square wrote:Oh goodness yes. So much paranormal!

Image My deviantART and YouTube.
I'm done thinking for today! It's caused me enough trouble!
zachariah

Post by zachariah »

Fairportfan wrote:No, i figure she's another orphan; she seems to be wearing a nightie.

Someone suggested that Atsali's fellow orphans have made fun of her daydreams and "adventures" to the point that she doesn't talk about them an more.

Or, perhaps, she's still processing the difference between a real "adventure" and a book adventure.
Neither. She is trying to deal with another disappointment. Being abandoned again! She bacame an orphan by losing her parents. So she feels they abandoned her, for all we know they might have just dropped her off there and said you deal with her and split. Now she bonded with Kathy and pulled off an amazing adventure only to be tossed back into her prison. I am sure hse thinks of it as a prison even though it has no bars. Of course she won't share any of that with anyone. After all how could they help or maybe even understand.
From the way they are treated it appears that none of the staff would be willing to listen or help either. The other girl is probably another orphan. When they go on outing they get assigned in pairs and told to stick together. Same way they treat very small children.

Now for Tsillah to show up, grab Sali and poit her back to the library maybe still in her nightie. though it would be better if Kathy shows up still all angry, dragging Tsillah by her ear and cussing out the orphanage managemnt. Then she kicks butt and takes names as she claims Sali and adopts her.
Ambush questions are fun. Watching the mental impact of them as they distort, or crumble, opinions based on faulty logic.
Jay-Em

Post by Jay-Em »

Fairportfan wrote:I was actually originally thinking of just the faces, but when i found the one with Shelly, i realised it was identical body language all the way, right down to the wings.

==========

I find it interesting that Atsali has manifested her wings, but not her legs.

============

Tomorrow - "Atsali, you have a visitor"?
Yes please.

But I guess it's what we all want for Atsali and Katherine. Two, somewhat lost souls, finally bonding with someone else.
but, why 42?
---------------
Against the assault of laughter nothing can stand. (S. Clemens)
Timotheus

Post by Timotheus »

Many old time orphanages and workhouses, as a means of compensation for having a low level of staff, used a method of ranking the inmates so that each inmate was responsible for the shared actions of three or four of the other inmates around them. These inmates would also have shared responsibilities with other inmate cells so that eventually all the inmates in a dorm were interdependent. This kept everyone watching everyone else's actions because if one person screwed up the people around them would also be punished. Rumors, snitching, and favoritism would become the means by which the system would function.

At least Atsali has a corner office.
If I Knew What I Was Doing I'd Be Dangerous.
Nov shmoz ka pop?
The Fansheep

Post by The Fansheep »

shouldnt she be all bruised up and wound at least? I mean the adventure wasnt one of the .. gentle ones even through it looks like she got out of it without broken bones.
Leak

Post by Leak »

Am I the only one that was wondering what Monica was doing there in the third panel?

(The lack of freckles and the sudden white of the previously purple shirt threw me off...)
analyst

Post by analyst »

zachariah wrote: Kathy shows up still all angry, dragging Tsillah by her ear and cussing out the orphanage managemnt. Then she kicks butt and takes names as she claims Sali and adopts her.
"I'm adopting her. Have the papers filled out and ready for me to sign and on my desk within an hour. Come on Astali, you didn't think our adventure was over, did you?"
Julie

Post by Julie »

Aaaand now I have "It's a Hard Knock Life" stuck in my head. :roll: I know that this isn't a funny scene, but there were plenty of heart-warming and sad scenes in Annie...and that's the first song that popped into my head seeing the furniture of this orphanage. If/when Kat shows up, I'm pretty sure that "We Got Annie" and/or "I Think I'm Gonna Like It Here" will get stuck in my head. :P

Love the touches of color on today's page that link it to the memories we've seen over the past few days. :)
"Just open your eyes
And see that life is beautiful."
Yamara

Post by Yamara »

All that imagination suddenly fails when you're trying to lie about a real adventure.
Aed wrote:While the person in frame 2 could be another orphan, the brief conversation sounds more like something between a dorm mother and dorm resident. After all why would Atsali wish to hide her big adventure from her fellow orphans? Dorm mother, sure. If Atsali ends up being grounded for disappearing at the library, imagine what kind of trouble she'd be in for doing anything really dangerous.
She'd wish to hide it from everyone, because stories spread in places like that, and once the truth came out, her Library privileges would evaporate.

No Library = no Katherine, or other outside contact for that matter. She isn't stupid, she's played this all out already in her head.

How much you want to bet there's at least one paranormal in that orphan cavalcade that can read Atsali's aura, fears or mind? Like a book.
PunPalsm the fastest way to pay the pun jar

Do Not Taunt Happy Fun Baal.
DilyV

Post by DilyV »

Atsali's little friend reminded me of Nightcrawler... I'm surprised we didn't hear her when she BAMF'd in...

I think it would be closer to her imagination failing her when trying to tell the truth about the adventure. How often is the truth more unbelievable than a lie?
You know that light at the end of the tunnel?

Yeah... it's a bullet. Sorry.