Remember Her Name 2013-07-15

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
Fairportfan

Remember Her Name 2013-07-15

Post by Fairportfan »

I believe Katharine may be just mildly upset.
Not even duct tape can fix stupid. But it can muffle the noise.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
Fairportfan

Re: Remember Her Name 2013-07-15

Post by Fairportfan »

Another thought. There are three highlights in each of Katharine's eyes.

Our Dr Gilchrist is a composite of six souls.

"The eyes are windows of the soul"

=========

Also we now know Sirens are not immortal.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Hell hath no fury like Katherine Scorned.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

Today, class, we will examine the concept of "Scorn." Feel free to discuss examples and demonstrate!

I swear, jwhouk.... Beat my punchline by seconds. Bleah. Oh well, leave it up anyway.

Good on ya, bud!
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
DilyV

Post by DilyV »

OH my God... That first panel is amazing! Doctor Katherine Gilchrist, shouting down the Daughter of Charon... Six kinds of AWESOME!!!

Still, I'm worried about Oscar... did anyone take care of him or will we find him floating belly up?
You know that light at the end of the tunnel?

Yeah... it's a bullet. Sorry.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Based on Tsillah's wince, I would say that Dr. Katherine Gilchrist has definitely mastered the technique of Momma's Voice.

Amazing what you can learn, reading books in a good museum's research department!

This may be a good learning experience for Tsillah. She may learn why it is unwise to be so blithely cavalier about the individuals you are tossing into danger. Mortals tend to be so very protective of the young!

(As to Oscar... I get the feeling that the whole Adventure took only a few hours, Wapsi time. Kath may not even have to fill out a time-off slip at the Museum.)
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

I've said it before, and i'll say it again, now: Katharine is my hEEro-wine!
=====================
=====================
mike weber
displaced

Post by displaced »

ok, what is the actual timeline of this adventure. how long did it actually take? 2 days? 3 days? I don't see it actually taking longer than that. if so then the fish should be fine. But that would actually explain Atsali waiting to be returned, her "time limit" must have runout and she knew it. That still does not explain why she was snatched out without an explaination to Katherine. Still waiting for the library to answer. I don't think it will take kindly to being screamed at and I really don't think any of the guardians will be really nice about it either. So I'm curious what else Kathy has up her sleeve.
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

displaced wrote:ok, what is the actual timeline of this adventure. how long did it actually take? 2 days? 3 days?
The only part that i can see that might have pushed the time over a few hours at most would be the time taken for the Black Helicopters to get there.
Still waiting for the library to answer. I don't think it will take kindly to being screamed at and I really don't think any of the guardians will be really nice about it either. So I'm curious what else Kathy has up her sleeve.
The Library seems rather easy-going, really, considering some of the shenanigans we've seen going on there.
Last edited by Fairportfan on Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
=====================
=====================
mike weber
zachariah

Post by zachariah »

Kathy just triggered the parent-child reflex in T. See how she flinches away from an upset parent figure. The way Kathy looks in Panel three I wouldn't want to stand up to the look either. Weak excuses are not going to cut it either. T would be better off telling Kathy who she needs to discuss this situation with. That way Kathy may actually be able to do something about this.

Love the hardware rack reference. That is how we stare at something that has not impact or value to us. Shows how Kathy feels the library is treating Sali and her.

As to time scale. The speed things happened I would say no more than 6 hours have passed, probably less. With stargates you travel faster and no TSA or waiting lines.
Ambush questions are fun. Watching the mental impact of them as they distort, or crumble, opinions based on faulty logic.
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

...but apparently there's still a full-body scan...
=====================
=====================
mike weber
CptNerd

Post by CptNerd »

I'm with Katherine, nothing I hate worse than people behind desks that stare at you when you ask a question, as if you're an idiot causing trouble, hoping that you'll go away and stop making them think about their job any more than they do.
zachariah

Post by zachariah »

Nice point given in frame one. Sali is a mortal paranormal. That means she really is 15 years old and Kathy probably could adopt her easier than an immortal one. I suspect that is coming next as Kathy tears the place apart to get Sali back. No way can I see Kathy just walk away from Sali now.
Ambush questions are fun. Watching the mental impact of them as they distort, or crumble, opinions based on faulty logic.
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

I wonder. Is Phix going to come in and congratulate Katharine on Taking a Level?
=====================
=====================
mike weber
Locuran

Post by Locuran »

The only other character at this point whose temper scares me more than Kats is Phix, but hers falls more into homicidal rage anyway.

You kind of have to wonder just how loud the volume was in the last panel for a wince like that. I was almost expecting something like this. Also loved that one still shot before she let loose.

Given how others have reacted when they got pissed, I think Kats is doing pretty well in the self control department.
displaced

Post by displaced »

Well then, let's talk about leverage. Katherine is one of the only surviving members of a race older than the library. The only reason I can make this assumption is that the happenings from the time the golems were created are not in the libraries "history" or the library would have known what it was looking for and been able to stop the booby trap.
Katherine is one of the only known surviving members of a race that was before the library. The other 2(?) are Brandy and the vampire Lily.
Brandy had two souls, one of which was the demon child.
Lily is a vampire, do they have souls?
Katherine has 6, or is that one combined from the 6?
I'm not sure how Bud's works, is she a created being or does she have a soul as well?
Anyway, being one of the last surviving members of this previously unmentioned race should give her some kind of leverage with the library. We'll see where this goes.
We will also see about the effects of this meeting between her and one of her "mothers"
This should be entertaining.
AmriloJim
Location: 35ºN 101ºW (for the GPS-challenged, that's Amarillo TX)

Post by AmriloJim »

"Reading the Riot Act" cliche comes to mind. Research reveals the etymology of that term refers to a hastily enacted 1715 British law.
The government feared uprisings, and passed a draconian law making it a felony if a group of more than twelve persons refused to disperse more than an hour after magistrates had told them to do so. To invoke the law, the magistrates had to read the proclamation contained in the Act aloud to the mob, something that often required more courage than they could summon up:

Our sovereign Lord the King chargeth and commandeth all persons, being assembled, immediately to disperse themselves, and peaceably to depart to their habitations, or to their lawful business, upon the pains contained in the act made in the first year of King George, for preventing tumults and riotous assemblies. God save the King.
It's obvious Kat had no qualms finding the courage to deliver this message.
Timotheus

Post by Timotheus »

I feel it should be pointed out that Dr. Gilchrist has at least one PhD, and probably other academic and technical degrees and certificates to her name and has endured review boards and probably sat on few. She is a veteran of the academic political system and has survived to hold a department post in an academic affiliated museum. She has likely done some post graduate teaching and peer reviews, published papers, and endured academic reviews herself. Dr. Gilchrist has a deep well of Psychological intimidation to draw from before even touching the maternal level.

If a few paranormal beings think they can overawe her with some special effects they are going to be rudely disappointed.

(The Overwhelmingly Outraged Academic Voice of Authority can achieve the same effect on persons who have endured formal education.)

In Tsallah's case right now, SOP is to call in the manager. "Oh Nudge! Oh Phix! We have a Customer Service problem."
Last edited by Timotheus on Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
If I Knew What I Was Doing I'd Be Dangerous.
Nov shmoz ka pop?
AmriloJim
Location: 35ºN 101ºW (for the GPS-challenged, that's Amarillo TX)

Post by AmriloJim »

Timotheus wrote:(The Overwhelmingly Outraged Academic Voice of Authority can achieve the same effect on persons who have endured formal education.)
Endured, a rather appropriate verb.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

She has also survived being shot at. We all know that famous saying about being shot at - and missed.

If Tsillah doesn't have Atsali back at the library by week's end, she is truly fearless.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin