Waiting To Be Sent Back 2013-07-12

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
themadkansan

Re: Waiting To Be Sent Back 2013-07-12

Post by themadkansan »

NOTDilbert wrote:
themadkansan wrote:...I recognize that pattern. :shock:

http://wapsisquare.com/comic/yaxchilan-detour/
And you can see it here, too: http://wapsisquare.com/comic/the-directory/
that too, but I was specifically referencing the teleport - from that, it looks like the library itself rerouted Bud.
KnightDelight

Post by KnightDelight »

Mark N wrote:This is seeming more and more like a "Nudge" event. Here are 3 reasons:

1) Tsilla is not being her usual friendly self but she is being pushy. (Fairportfan used the perfect word "ham-handed")
2) Tsilla has been horribly cavalier about everything that happened so far, sort of like she was when Monica zapped Nudge into the volcano.
3) The Library pulled that one at a perfect rude and obvious moment to set Kath off hardcore.
Well, keep in mind, Nudge and Tsilla are sisters (http://wapsisquare.com/comic/good-enough/). They probably share more than a little of the trickster mentality.
Dave wrote:On the other hand, the Library (or someone else) may just be exercising their Gods-and-Goddesses-given right to be an utter ass... in which case, I hope Katherine's status gives her some sort of handle with which to ream somebody a new whatever.
If not, she does have a short friend who is not only a powerful being in her own right, but also commands the high muckedy-muck golems who run the MIB. She should be able to make even the Library listen.
DANGEROUSLY UNDER-MEDICATED
If we are what we eat, then I'm easy, fast, and cheap
Timotheus

Post by Timotheus »

I have a feeling that right at this moment Dr Kathrine Gilchrist could probably intimidate a Sphinx into stepping back with just her sheer aura of rage. I'm getting the feeling of Golem Gals level of anger and rage here. Let us hope she isn't some form of golem herself (although that would explain the transition from crystal storage unit to full term baby that can survive on its own until found by the air force and then grows naturally to adulthood but can survive helicopter raids and sudden shifts in available knowledge.)
Last edited by Timotheus on Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
If I Knew What I Was Doing I'd Be Dangerous.
Nov shmoz ka pop?
Aleister Crow

Post by Aleister Crow »

I think Kath's ready to backhand some "attention and respect" into someone.
Whoever coined the phrase "more fun than a barrel of monkeys" obviously never spent an afternoon cramming the little buggers into one.
CraigR

Post by CraigR »

I'm starting to wonder if Atasli were real or just an anthopomorphic manifestation of an aspect of the Library: childlike wonder and the search for adventure. It could also be as others have said here, and they're testing whether Kath has the chops to fight to keep her. It could be both...
scantrontb

Post by scantrontb »

Timotheus wrote:I have a feeling that right at this moment Dr Kathrine Gilchrist could probably intimidate a Sphinx into stepping back with just her sheer aura of rage. I'm getting the feeling of Golem Gals level of anger and rage here. Let us hope she isn't some form of golem herself (although that would explain the transition from crystal storage unit to full term baby that can survive on its own until found by the air force and then grows naturally to adulthood but can survive helicopter raids and sudden shifts in available knowledge.)
nah, when the military found her, she was in stasis... how they figured out the technology enough to get her OUT of it is no clue, yet.

but what i think is interesting, is the way Atsali cut off her speech here, after she kicked Kat in the face... what was she trying to say... but then remembered her supernatural vs mortal rule of "don't spill the beans" and stopped herself... possibly something that would have revealed to Katherine that she ISN'T a mundane, normal Mortal? ie, she just survived a kick to the face that would have killed a normal one, therefore she must be a supernatural being, but since Kat didn't know it already, the rules forbid Atsali from telling her?
Don't planto mihi adveho illac
donoho

Post by donoho »

Misty eyes Sali makes me misty eyed.

Damn It Paul!
Grantwhy

Post by Grantwhy »

"My middle name is ..."

:?:

is there going to be a guessing game on Atsali's middle name?

I know of an Australian Rugby League player who gave his son the middle name "Danger" :mrgreen: , and that sounds appropriate for Atsali.

Put me down for "Danger" as Atsali's middle name.
As a CareBearAnarchist I believe in the destruction and overthrow of the perils of society through random and senseless acts of consideration and kindness
Growing older is compulsory, growing up is optional
Dumb things happen to smart phones
Yamara

Post by Yamara »

Is Kath the only pure human we've seen in the Library? Granted, she has six souls, but otherwise the only human so far, right?
PunPalsm the fastest way to pay the pun jar

Do Not Taunt Happy Fun Baal.
Yamara

Post by Yamara »

Grantwhy wrote:"My middle name is ..."

That would mean she has a last name to guess, too. I'm going to guess that will eventually be Gilchrist.
PunPalsm the fastest way to pay the pun jar

Do Not Taunt Happy Fun Baal.
Grantwhy

Post by Grantwhy »

scantrontb wrote:
Timotheus wrote:I have a feeling that right at this moment Dr Kathrine Gilchrist could probably intimidate a Sphinx into stepping back with just her sheer aura of rage. I'm getting the feeling of Golem Gals level of anger and rage here. Let us hope she isn't some form of golem herself (although that would explain the transition from crystal storage unit to full term baby that can survive on its own until found by the air force and then grows naturally to adulthood but can survive helicopter raids and sudden shifts in available knowledge.)
nah, when the military found her, she was in stasis... how they figured out the technology enough to get her OUT of it is no clue, yet.
MIB help?
As a CareBearAnarchist I believe in the destruction and overthrow of the perils of society through random and senseless acts of consideration and kindness
Growing older is compulsory, growing up is optional
Dumb things happen to smart phones
DilyV

Post by DilyV »

Somehow I don't see the Bibliothiki feeling a bit contrite. Phix may just need to step in here... on Kath's side. Poor Atsali tried mightily to make everything look okay but failed miserably... and Kath is probably feeling a mixture of pity for Atsali and rage that the library would do that to her.
You know that light at the end of the tunnel?

Yeah... it's a bullet. Sorry.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Dave wrote:
mrsmack wrote:I'm having trouble figuring out which order the panels should read. Can someone help me out?

Also, am I the only one a bit confused by it? I usually don't have this problem.
It could read acceptably in either of two ways:

top left, top right, middle left, bottom left, and then across to the right, or

top left, middle left, top right, then jump down to the bottom left and go across the row.

I think the first is probably correct, but it wasn't obvious to me either on first reading.
I actually think it's this: (panels are divided in half, four left and two right)

1. Top horizontal left. ("Hey! Atsali! What are you doing?")
2. Middle left. ("Atsali...." crying Katherine)
3. Top right ("But, that was a real adventure, huh?")
4. Lower left ("Me, I'm tough!")
5. Lower middle (FWIP or whatever the sound of a stargate poit is)
6. Lower right ("WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH YOU?")
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

And as for said comic:

Kath just found out she is six-times-over Etethititiatiatiatioanfeefiefoefuntian-EEEEEthetian. (Sorry, keyboard got away from me there.)

It is possible - though not likely - that as a direct descendant of these people - who were descendants of the Lanthians, who we do occasionally posit may have been the ones who built the Bibliothiki in the first place, she may have just used her "command voice".

Not entirely unlike Agatha Heterodyne*, but close.

* - If you don't read Girl Genius, shame on you. Go archive binge, or buy the novels in their store.
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
GuySmiley

Post by GuySmiley »

Grantwhy wrote:"My middle name is ..."

I know of an Australian Rugby League player who gave his son the middle name "Danger" :mrgreen: , and that sounds appropriate for Atsali.

Put me down for "Danger" as Atsali's middle name.
I'm thinking she was going to say 'tough' was her middle name.
"I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf mutes."
-The Laughing Man; GITS:SAC (originally from Holden Caulfield; Catcher in the Rye)
Julie

Post by Julie »

Heartbreak moment! :(
Fairportfan wrote:Oh.

My.

Stars.

And.

Garters.

I hope that everyone is standing by, just off panel, to deal with the effects of Hurricane Katharine that they just created.

I do hope that Tsilla is "pulling a Nudge" here. The clumsiness of her approach to Katharine in these last couple pages seems uncharacteristically ham-handed for her.
Well, she is young. :) I mean, I think she operates a fair amount on guesswork for how to handle new people. Remember how she first was introduced to Monica? It wasn't as bad as this (by a long shot), but it showed a fairly limited understanding of how to approach adult human strangers (and remember that her first meeting with Shelly was just fangirl silliness, and not exceptionally tactful either).
davids4250 wrote:Kath is pissed. First she is jerked around like a puppet by the Library and others, then her partner is torn away from her in the middle of a conversation - which is rude at the very least. I think the Library is about to be schooled...

I also think Sali's middle name might be Bia. For all her impulsiveness, I like the little siren, and would hate to see her go.
That's an interesting idea you've got there. Wouldn't it be fun if Atsali was actually Shelly's half-sister or cousin twice removed or something? :) Of course by "fun" I mean I'll enjoy the fireworks as Bia gets another pounding by Phix or someone else for being a crappy family member and not stepping in for the little siren. :P
zachariah wrote:I suspect the other player is Phix and Kathy is now being tested to see if she is strong enough, and cares enough, to adopt Sali. Phix can be hard when testing people, remember how she first greeted Kathy to the library? I bet the requirements to adopt an immortal are quiet a bit more stringent. This is an excellent way to see how determined Kathy is.
Phix can be hard when needed, but she doesn't really run the Library...she serves it in a leadership capacity. I'm still going operate on the assumption that the Library is acting on its own. I think the only "testing" she does is as a part of her role as sphinx and librarian. She tests mortals who enter the Library to make sure they aren't just adventurers who should be kicked out, and she tested Tina, but only because she needed to see how those Demons running Tina were behaving...as a sphinx, she is very concerned with Demon interactions with humans. I can't see how her roles would be involved in this situation with Atsali, so unless she's just getting meddlesome or acting under orders, I don't believe that this is something she'd do.
Yamara wrote:Is Kath the only pure human we've seen in the Library? Granted, she has six souls, but otherwise the only human so far, right?
Well, technically, Monica was pure human when she first went to the Library...and Shelly was essentially "pure human" when she first went (since it took being in the Time Forest to awaken her sphinx side...and not even Phix knew she was Bia's daughter until recently). :)
"Just open your eyes
And see that life is beautiful."
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Perhaps going to the library changes you? If you go X amount of times, an aspect of yourself suddenly appears and becomes a mythological being?

This would explain a Gorgon with a southern accent in the middle of Minneapolis.
Dave

Post by Dave »

jwhouk wrote:It is possible - though not likely - that as a direct descendant of these people - who were descendants of the Lanthians, who we do occasionally posit may have been the ones who built the Bibliothiki in the first place, she may have just used her "command voice".

Not entirely unlike Agatha Heterodyne*, but close.
Or (even less likely) she has a version of what Bill Cosby referred to as Mamma's Voice... the one which sounds like

DIDN'T I TELL YOU NOT TO DO THAT!?!!

"That voice... that voice will decalcify your entire spinal column and you will fall to your knees. 'Please, Momma, I'd rather you hit me than scream at me like that again!'"
Grantwhy wrote:is there going to be a guessing game on Atsali's middle name?
It's probably not "Slartibartfast", or it wouldn't have been important enough to mention.

It's probably not "Rumpelstiltskin" or she wouldn't have been willing to disclose it.

It's probably not a Lovecraftian snarl which would have summoned an eldrich horror out of the depth of time... she cares too much about Katherine to risk having Kath's soul eaten.

It's probably not the secret word which explains why all known sentient species have invented a dish identical to breen (a.k.a. Swedish meatballs); she wouldn't want Kath to instantly go mad upon learning it.

So, yeah, either "danger" or "tough" is most likely, given what Atsali was trying to convey and given her steady diet of adventure novels. I wonder if she's worked her way through the entire triple shelf of Nancy Drew and Hardy Boys stories yet?

The speed with which she put back up her stiff-upper-lip, I'm-all-right-Jack shell of toughness... that says a lot to me about just how lonely she must have been in the orphanage. I suspect it's been rough for her in there, emotionally at least and maybe physically as well. Can't show weakness or vulnerability, oh no. Can't depend on anybody but yourself, because they won't be there for you. Gotta be tough and self-sufficient and older than your years.

Damnit. All that, and then a very traumatic "adventure" as an introduction to the adult world, and then being blithely tossed back into it again.

I have a feeling that Katherine probably sees this very clearly, and ain't gonna stand for it for very long at all.
kingklash

Post by kingklash »

Now, I think either Kath gets to state her case on how much she cares for her little bird, or we are about to hear the Library speak again. For all we know, once Atsali rezzes up at the orphanage, she may be told to get her things together, because she's about to move to a new Home.
as363

Post by as363 »

Kat is more than ready to kick anyone's A$$ if she doesn't get a quick answer . Would not want to be there when she starts.

But - if she does get her back - make sure you have your Naval landing and takeoff head gear - that just might muffle the 176Db SQUEEEEEE that will happen.