Set Adrift 2013-07-01

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
GuySmiley

Re: Set Adrift 2013-07-01

Post by GuySmiley »

davids4250 wrote:Also, I think the succubus may be more evil that the Lanthian priests. They just wanted power.
I think the succubus is just an embodiment of rage more than it is evil. The priests wanted power and it cost the baby it's life, creating the Nu Gui, which in turn seems to be trying to strip the priests and all their people and descendants of every last bit of power that they have.
"I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf mutes."
-The Laughing Man; GITS:SAC (originally from Holden Caulfield; Catcher in the Rye)
MerchManDan

Post by MerchManDan »

So, Pratt really IS one of Kath's moms. I'll be darned.
"Give orange me give eat orange me eat orange give me eat orange give me you." - Nim the chimp
Animation courtesy of shadowinthelight (thanks again!)
DilyV

Post by DilyV »

Dave wrote:
DilyV wrote: Lily says, "What happened to the other babies..." That could take on several meanings...

1. The five other 'fourth' babies of which Kath was 'one of six'

2. All the babies of pregnant mothers that were stored.

3. All other newborns, infants and children that were stored in separate crystals as they flooded through the stargates.

Sounds like the mothers were sent to the desert and the babies were set adrift at sea... talk about the murder of innocents...
(2) or (3) Perhaps... there does seem to be reason to accept (per Atsali's comment last week) that Kath is indeed a sixfold chimera, so (1) would not apply.

I'm actually going to guess that it's (4)... each of those six mothers was bearing triplets (not counting the quad-child that was misrouted into a separate crystal and contributed to Kath's creation)... there was no indication that Lily was pregnant when she was dumped in the desert... so I suspect that the three triplets being carried by each of the six women (18 in all) were sent on a short sea-voyage into oblivion, at the same time that the mothers were routed out into the desert.

"Murder of innocents" is a very good point... it brings out the horrible symmetry in this situation. The evil being created by the murder of an innocent, itself decides to carry out a mass murder of innocents. :(

I've gotta say, those Lanthian priests have even more to answer for than I had thought. I'd figured they deserved a particular place of attention in Hell... and now I'm not sure quite what an appropriate form of justice for them would be. They directly tortured and murdered the GGs, their actions resulted in the death of an innocent child... and the after-effects of their actions resulted in the destruction of their whole civilization twice!. Between what the Chimera did, and what the Nu Gui did, essentially all of the priests' people died as a consequence of their actions.

Calling it "karma" seems like an incredible understatement.

Re Atsali's display of eye-glyphs... we've seen that she's an excellent student and a quick study, and now we've seen she's an amazing pupil as well!
Or rather, HAS amazing pupils... LOL
You know that light at the end of the tunnel?

Yeah... it's a bullet. Sorry.
NOTDilbert

Post by NOTDilbert »

scantrontb wrote:totally off topic, but does anyone ELSE hear Atsali's voice as it was done by Majel Barrett, as the voice of the Enterprise Computer in Classic Star Trek? [Computer, i'd like a cup of coffee... "WORKING... bzzt, bzzt... swoosh (replicator door slides open)"] the whole "WORKING" just clicks for me... and whenever she talking in her normal non-computery voice, i hear Reba McEntire...

From the wording of her voice balloons in her first couple of appearances, I've been hearing a 'Jolly Good English' accent....
"Imagination is more important than Knowledge" - Albert Einstein
"History doesn't repeat itself, but it DOES rhyme" - Mark Twain
"Always. Expect. Ninjas." - Syndey Scoville
DilyV

Post by DilyV »

NOTDilbert wrote:
scantrontb wrote:totally off topic, but does anyone ELSE hear Atsali's voice as it was done by Majel Barrett, as the voice of the Enterprise Computer in Classic Star Trek? [Computer, i'd like a cup of coffee... "WORKING... bzzt, bzzt... swoosh (replicator door slides open)"] the whole "WORKING" just clicks for me... and whenever she talking in her normal non-computery voice, i hear Reba McEntire...

From the wording of her voice balloons in her first couple of appearances, I've been hearing a 'Jolly Good English' accent....
Atsali has always struck me as a valley gurl... fer shur fer shur...
You know that light at the end of the tunnel?

Yeah... it's a bullet. Sorry.
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

shadowinthelight wrote:I understood Atsali as saying for each the six women with four babies, one through three were dumped in the ocean and number four went into the crystal.
Ooh. I like that idea.

Because i'm sure we've been told that Katharine is a chimera of the extra babies...
Not even duct tape can fix stupid. But it can muffle the noise.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
GuySmiley

Post by GuySmiley »

DilyV wrote:That's just sheer Genius... and this is only your 8th post!!!
Just lucky I guess. :ugeek: Either that or I just don't post enough spam to up my post count. ;)
"I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf mutes."
-The Laughing Man; GITS:SAC (originally from Holden Caulfield; Catcher in the Rye)
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

Actually, now that i think about it, i hear Catharine Tate (at least for the "computer Atsali"), in her Donna Doctor hyper-fast shtick from the end of her run on Doctor Who - the bit i was referring to about burning up, the other day.

Or else John Leeson.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
KnightDelight

Post by KnightDelight »

Here, http://wapsisquare.com/comic/athena-missile-test/ Atsali comes right out and says Kath IS the combination of six babies. So she must be referring to the other 18 which were correctly stored. But set adrift at sea? In what form? Still stored in crystals? If that's so, they aren't necessarily dead. If they can be located, they may be able to be reconstituted in some women and brought to term. If not, then they would still just be a fetus and would be dead soon after being restored from their crystals. It just doesn't make sense.

I don't get the set adrift in any event. Why do that? Why not just shunt them to the desert as well? Or just dump them into the ocean. Why bother setting them adrift?
DANGEROUSLY UNDER-MEDICATED
If we are what we eat, then I'm easy, fast, and cheap
TheDOCTOR
Location: Pittsburgh,Pa. via Gallifrey, in Constallation of Kastaborus

Post by TheDOCTOR »

The single tear in Atsalis' eye says it all. The 'ghost-image' of the open sea is a nice touch.
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

NOTDilbert wrote:
Yep; English school girl. I mentioned it at the time.
=====================
=====================
mike weber
Timotheus

Post by Timotheus »

I'm currently of the belief that the Nu Ghi is not the Chess Master we been thinking it is. The Nu Ghi is a being of emotion, anger, rage, and motivation. It was placed in Brandi BECAUSE of the deal she made with some power, not because of a deal she made with it. It wouldn't have the where-with-all to make a conscious deal. Once in Brandi it used her abilities to achieve both Brandi's goals and its master's goals without Brandi being really aware of what was going on. Once it is gone, Brandi's motivation to plan and organize these actions is gone, possibly along with her memory of what those plans were.

Just who or what arranged to place the Nu Ghi in Brandilyn is unknown and will be the next level of mystery to be uncovered.
If I Knew What I Was Doing I'd Be Dangerous.
Nov shmoz ka pop?
themadkansan

Post by themadkansan »

...Nah. GlaDOS. :lol:
KnightDelight

Post by KnightDelight »

Another thing. Why did Brandi wait 885 years "for things to clear up?" The cataclysm she predicted never occurred. There was nothing to clear up.
DANGEROUSLY UNDER-MEDICATED
If we are what we eat, then I'm easy, fast, and cheap
Dave

Post by Dave »

DilyV wrote:
Dave wrote:Re Atsali's display of eye-glyphs... we've seen that she's an excellent student and a quick study, and now we've seen she's an amazing pupil as well!
Or rather, HAS amazing pupils... LOL
Well, that's what I was aiming at. :) "She's" is actually a valid contraction for "she has" in some American colloquial dialects - it's less common than using it for "she is" but you do still hear it used that way occasionally. I think it's more common in old New England styles than elsewhere but I could be wrong about that. "She's got great hair" or "He's a new job" and so forth.
pcj70

Post by pcj70 »

KnightDelight wrote:Another thing. Why did Brandi wait 885 years "for things to clear up?" The cataclysm she predicted never occurred. There was nothing to clear up.

it was a *Really* big volcano blast = nuclear winter
My2Cents

Post by My2Cents »

KnightDelight wrote:Another thing. Why did Brandi wait 885 years "for things to clear up?" The cataclysm she predicted never occurred. There was nothing to clear up.
You mean this cataclysm?

http://wapsisquare.com/comic/kikai-caldera/
http://wapsisquare.com/comic/there-were-earthquakes/
http://wapsisquare.com/comic/my-location/
While misery loves company, chaos brings along friends.
zachariah

Post by zachariah »

If the succubus set the system up to kill anyone released how did the babies even survive to be set adrift on the ocean? How did Lilly even make it into the desert alive enough to die alone? If the system just transported revives to isolated places it was not set to kill them just loose them. Adults could survive that. But it was set to kill them! That implies restoring them into dead bodies to me.
Ambush questions are fun. Watching the mental impact of them as they distort, or crumble, opinions based on faulty logic.
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

Dump six young women with no survival training in a desert, hundreds of miles from anywhere, with no water, no food and no idea which way civilisation (if any) lies - they'll die.

Drop eighteen babies in the middle of the ocean, thousands of miles from land, in a time when there would be bo shipping - they'll die.

And SDO didn't kill them. They were alive the last time she saw them; her hands are clean.
=====================
=====================
mike weber
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Well, they're not exactly clean - right now they're en-crystallized. ;)
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin