Time’s Up 2013-06-21

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
Fairportfan

Re: Time’s Up 2013-06-21

Post by Fairportfan »

themadkansan wrote:
Fairportfan wrote:You know - yesterday's left hand/right hand "continuity error" is looking less like one today.

Bets on whose hand that is in Panel Three?"
Katherine's. Atsali says it in panel 2.
Aggh. I thought it was Bud.
Not even duct tape can fix stupid. But it can muffle the noise.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

Aleister Crow wrote:Oh, I do hope they didn't just put the wrong Brandi in that data crystal...
Not with that hairstyle.

Brandi wears her hair more or less as a regular afro. SDO's is a sweep.
Not even duct tape can fix stupid. But it can muffle the noise.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
Jay-Em

Post by Jay-Em »

*Studies panels*

*goes back to yesterday*

*does some head scratching*

*looks at respective hands*

*studies panels again*

:idea:

Aha. Nów I get what is going on. Bud is as dangerous a chessplayer as is Brandi/SD Oduya.
After this, Bud ought to be pretty pleased with herself.

Although, after Bud's actions in the Jaguar temple to get A: Jin's Mom, while B: exorcising a demon, a queen of some sorts, who would èver doubt Bud's ability to "think on her feet"and while busy doing that, out-maneuvre about everyone involved.

Bud is wáay more smart than she gives herself credit for.
but, why 42?
---------------
Against the assault of laughter nothing can stand. (S. Clemens)
eee

Post by eee »

What I find interesting is that SDO was confused by Bud's actions but was starting to put it together when time ran out. Evidently the Nu Gui can use Brandi's planning ability without being subject to her tendency to freeze when surprised.

If they succeed in getting rid of SDO, Brandi may wind up being wracked by guilt once she learns what 'she's' done.
Julie

Post by Julie »

jwhouk wrote:That's why I'm going to wait until Monday, but if I was a betting man:

Kath and Atsali got the crystal from Bud - who probably knew that it was stored in Suzi's hammerspace - and are right now activating the portal at Mapimi - with the intent of transporting SDO and all five of them to some other location. Perhaps... the Library?
Well, first of all, there's this problem with that theory:
MerchManDan wrote:Except, yesterday we saw Bud drop the crystal while they're all at Mesa Verde. Also, Mapimi is a radioactive crater. ;)
Secondly, I'm thinking that Atsali just plugged the empty crystal into the wall and that's Kat's hand activating a stargate in panel 3 (which makes me wonder if Bud really punched through the wall or if she made it look that way and actually did some sort of clever poit/gate trick that allowed her arm to be in another place with a stargate). Lily's hand on the stargate in panel 6 activated the crystal's ability to draw in "data"...hence Bud's statement about kissing the naughty succubus bye-bye. I think the plan was to somehow capture the Nü Gui in the data crystal, leaving Brandi free of possession. Also...this...
Sidhekin wrote:"Miss Goodie-Goodie" is "sweet" Brandi, I guess. And that means "sweet" Brandi put the buffer crystal there.

I was comparing the plot to a subtle match between two chess masters, where we only saw part of the board, and didn't know how long into the game we were.

Now it seems the two chess masters are both Brandis. Way to externalize your internal conflicts, girl!

We've already seen the portals and crystals being used to store and separate beings. The two Anasazi, the buffer crystal, and the complex computer / Atsali's brain will now ...

... perform a long-prepared exorcism, leaving SDO on storage.

I'm impressed.

Or wrong. But then, I suspect, I'm likely to end up even more impressed. 8-)
We just have to wait until Monday to see if it actually worked.

Aaand I may have fried my brain trying to figure all of that out. I had to read today's page a few times to figure out who was doing what and where...and then I had to make sense of my thoughts while going through the comments...I may not be very functional at work today unless my brain can manage a successful reboot. :P
Jay-Em wrote:Aha. Nów I get what is going on. Bud is as dangerous a chessplayer as is Brandi/SD Oduya.
After this, Bud ought to be pretty pleased with herself.

Although, after Bud's actions in the Jaguar temple to get A: Jin's Mom, while B: exorcising a demon, a queen of some sorts, who would èver doubt Bud's ability to "think on her feet"and while busy doing that, out-maneuvre about everyone involved.

Bud is wáay more smart than she gives herself credit for.
Truth! :) She makes me a squeeing fangirl in ways none of the other Wapsi characters can.
"Just open your eyes
And see that life is beautiful."
DilyV

Post by DilyV »

If I'm not mistaken, the stargate isn't like a platform... its basically the entire chamber in which it resides. Therefore it wouldn't matter where SDO/Brandi was in the room, the gate would suck out any ethetian soul. Brandi is a Golum. She has no soul to lose. Granted, Tepoz tried to give the GG's back their personalities, but he couldn't give them back their souls... and THAT is what is getting sucked back into the crystal. The Nu Gui's soul. Lily doesn't know about the data storage system, Kath does. Bud does. Atsali does, by means of having the computer reside in her head. As long as Kath doesn't touch the crystal, she should be safe from getting sucked into it because she's not in the gate room, hence needing Atsali to place the crystal before Kath activated the local system. If this works, I think Bud id about to make another of her geologic specials, crushing the crystal down into something unrecognizable.

I also think I know how Lily was lost in the desert about 5000 years ago. She and the other four ethetians were in mid gate when SDO shut the gate down, either thinking everyone was in, or she just plain ran out of time and had to get the hell out of Dodge before the exploding volcano trapped her. Instead of being trapped in a "transporter buffer" type effect, the system dropped them out in mid poit when it was shut down. Right in the middle of BFE. Lily became a vampire because she was completely forgotten about. It begs to wonder what happened to the other four... Food for the survival minded Lily maybe?
You know that light at the end of the tunnel?

Yeah... it's a bullet. Sorry.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Okay, I think I got it right (with the exception of the Mapimi Crater thingy).

While Lily is coming within an inch of pleading for her (un)life, SDO is having a programming glitch. Bud is trying to keep up appearances and trying to keep Brandi guessing. Panel two: that's obvious Atsali putting the crystal into a socket, then the next is Kath activating it, and then the next is Bud "grabbing" the hand of Lily to activate the portal, and it's just about at this time that SDO realizes what's going on...

Which we don't. :? :? :?

Mass Wild Guessing: The spare data crystal is the Etehitian version of a USB thumb drive. By taking said crystal from Suzi's "hammerspace", they had something they could use to "store" SDO (aka the Nu Gui). Bud set Kath and Ats at a different portal (possibly the one "downstairs" in the spider carving) and told them to put the crystal back in the socket, and then wait until they heard the portal being opened "up top".

When Bud (after all her theatrics) got Lily to open the portal, Kath's "adjusted" portal honed in on SDO's wavelength - how, Pablo's gonna havta 'splain on Monday - and essentially sucked the ghost in the machine that is Brandi right out.

Whether or not this works is currently debatable - and whether or not it took Brandi along with "sweet little succubus" is also questionable.

To Monday, then!
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
Dave

Post by Dave »

jwhouk wrote:Whether or not this works is currently debatable - and whether or not it took Brandi along with "sweet little succubus" is also questionable.
I think your analysis is correct... Bud basically baffled "Brandi" with bullshit, beautifully! If it does work, it'll mean that it took simultaneous cooperative action by the entire remaining population of Etheitians ("both" or "all seven" depending on your point of view) to capture the being whose plot destroyed all of the others... a pleasing symmetry.

My guess is that both personalities do end up in the data-buffer crystal, at least for a while. A lover of fine beverages would say that a crystal decanter is a fine place to store an excellent vintage of well-aged Brandi, and any chemistry lab worker will know that purifying a valuable liquid by separating it from a contaminant often involves distilling it in a glass container.

So, they'll do a store-and-separate on her, thus using some Bufferin' to get rid of that headache they've all been having.
Sidhekin

Post by Sidhekin »

My guess is that they'll do a separation in transit: We have already established that the setup of stargates and the complex computer could separate mothers and unborn children.

And we now have the same setup in place: One stargate activated by Lily, one stargate activated by Kath, and one complex computer "operated" by Atsali.
perl -e 'print "Just another Perl ${\(trickster and hacker)},";'

The Sidhekin proves that Sidhe did it!
nerf-dweller

Post by nerf-dweller »

My2Cents wrote:Let's see ...
  1. We have Atsali inserting the crystal into the portal mechanism in frame 2
  2. Kathryn activating some part of the portal mechanism in frame 3
  3. Looks like Bud using Pratt's hand to activate the portal mechanism in frame 6.
  4. I guess the real question is who is it in frame 7, Pratt or Brandi?
Got to wait till Monday. Again!
Look at where Brandi/SDO is standing in panel 1...in the alcove of the stargate. And beside, of all of the girls there, Brandi has the poofiest hair.
nerf-dweller

Post by nerf-dweller »

Sidhekin wrote:...
We've already seen the portals and crystals being used to store and separate beings. The two Anasazi, the buffer crystal, and the complex computer / Atsali's brain will now ...

... perform a long-prepared exorcism, leaving SDO on storage.
A follow up reply *after some indeterminate amount of time and not enough sleep*

I don't think they need Atsali's brain to do the exorcism. Remember that the from here http://wapsisquare.com/comic/stay-on-your-toes/ that stargates use akashic records to store and move things. The data crystal aren't needed. And from the same comic, the data crystal was on the stargate when Lily found it. And Brandi/SDO programmed the star gates, from here http://wapsisquare.com/comic/buffers-in-place/ panel 1, to funnel people using them into the data buffers via the akashic records. So if a data cryptic is in place, the stargate will funnel anyone use the gate into the data crystal.

And upon pondering after reading some more posters, Atsali may have done some reprogramming of the stargates. So that its only Brandi that pops out of their end, and the succubus is funneled into the data crystal.
Last edited by nerf-dweller on Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
meisdadoo

Post by meisdadoo »

OK, now I am rally confused. Somehow Bud is now a master chessplayer instead of the "I <3 Lamp" girl we were led to believe.
There is a good Brandi and an evil Brandi,
and semi-immortals that are actually pre-lanthian. . .
This is me at about 0.11
Where are we going and why am I in this handbasket?
Sidhekin

Post by Sidhekin »

nerf-dweller wrote:I don't think they need Atsali's brain to do the exorcism. Remember that the from here http://wapsisquare.com/comic/stay-on-your-toes/ that stargates use akashic records to store and move things. The data crystal aren't needed. And from the same comic, the data crystal was on the stargate when Lily found it. And Brandi/SDO programmed the star gates, from here http://wapsisquare.com/comic/buffers-in-place/ panel 1, to funnel people using them into the data buffers via the akashic records. So if a data cryptic is in place, the stargate will funnel anyone use the gate into the data crystal.
Actually, she says the "system" is programmed, not the "gates". The "system" is what is "funneling" and separating the "persons". (Ooh, what lovely words!)

I guess you could read it as referring to a "system" of stargates, but the way she instructed the Etheitians ("set your stargates to my location, and I'll do the rest"), suggests to me that it was the Mapimi "system" she was referring to.
perl -e 'print "Just another Perl ${\(trickster and hacker)},";'

The Sidhekin proves that Sidhe did it!
kingklash

Post by kingklash »

I like the idea of activating tow two Gates at once, most likely with the same co-ordinates dialed in, to pull the Nu Gui out for storage, but best laid plans of mice, you know.

Switching to my Kiowa side of the family here, there's a caution warning, giving me that odd back of my head feeling when my intuition kicks in. We have a story about the two Half-Boys. It starts with the common story among many tribes, about a young woman getting romanced and marrying a powerful spirit, and after living for a time in his realm, escapes back to our world, but dying in the process, leaving her infant son to be raised by his grandparents. In our stories, he has a few items from his father's world, among them a small wheel, used to play games like rolling it on the ground, and boys will either shoot practice arrows, or throw small practice lances/spears at it either to stop it, or go through the center without stopping it. This wheel could actually pick up speed until it hit something, or a shot through it's center. the boy was told that because it could do this, never to throw it up in the air. Of course, being a little boy, he had to see what would happen. He throws it straight up, as hard as he could, and as it came down, it struck him on top of his head with the force of a thunderbolt. Instead of cleaving him in twain, or killing him, he was seperated into two people, one with elemental power of fire, the other with power over water.

I'm hoping storage will happen, because the creation of two Brandis is highly likely.
KnightDelight

Post by KnightDelight »

Who was placed into the crystal? Nu Gui or Brandi? The more dramatic thing would be for Brandi to be stored and the Nu Gui suddenly loose in the world now for Bud to have to battle Monday.

The scenario that would fit events, however, has the NG being placed into the crystal. It also fits in with the wall carving showing the baby at the mouth of the spider. Atsali seemed to think it was going to eat the baby but Kath said it could have been symbolic of a protector. Atsali may have been right though, since the spider (crystal) just "ate" the NG. I'm still not sure about this "deal breaker" thing and Lily. It could mean Lily got away. She wasn't sealed up in a crystal like the others, unbeknownst to SDO. Someone who would be instrumental in NG's downfall and not a deal breaker in the sense Lily broke the deal in a supernatural "legal" kind of meaning.

Yeah, well, OK, I'm not really sure about anything here. Does that mean there is no Spiderwoman as such and the spider was simply symbolic of the spider carving on the crystal?

Further, could Kath and Atsali be right next door and Bud simply handed the crystal off to them when she went through the wall? I mean, they don't necessarily have to be at some distant location with Bud pulling some sort of strange maneuver through stargate space. Still, the left-right hand thing is confusing. It has to be Bud's hand since. of all the current players, only Bud and Brandi can punch through walls. Atsali could be functioning as the computer here or she downloaded her computer self to a functioning computer where she and Kath are currently. Of course, it may be no computer is needed to pull this off. Just the crystal placed at the exit of the stargate to catch whoever comes through. Though this crystal may be special and meant specifically for the NG, thus the spider carving on it.
DANGEROUSLY UNDER-MEDICATED
If we are what we eat, then I'm easy, fast, and cheap
DilyV

Post by DilyV »

KnightDelight wrote:Who was placed into the crystal? Nu Gui or Brandi? The more dramatic thing would be for Brandi to be stored and the Nu Gui suddenly loose in the world now for Bud to have to battle Monday.

The scenario that would fit events, however, has the NG being placed into the crystal. It also fits in with the wall carving showing the baby at the mouth of the spider. Atsali seemed to think it was going to eat the baby but Kath said it could have been symbolic of a protector. Atsali may have been right though, since the spider (crystal) just "ate" the NG. I'm still not sure about this "deal breaker" thing and Lily. It could mean Lily got away. She wasn't sealed up in a crystal like the others, unbeknownst to SDO. Someone who would be instrumental in NG's downfall and not a deal breaker in the sense Lily broke the deal in a supernatural "legal" kind of meaning.

Yeah, well, OK, I'm not really sure about anything here. Does that mean there is no Spiderwoman as such and the spider was simply symbolic of the spider carving on the crystal?

Further, could Kath and Atsali be right next door and Bud simply handed the crystal off to them when she went through the wall? I mean, they don't necessarily have to be at some distant location with Bud pulling some sort of strange maneuver through stargate space. Still, the left-right hand thing is confusing. It has to be Bud's hand since. of all the current players, only Bud and Brandi can punch through walls. Atsali could be functioning as the computer here or she downloaded her computer self to a functioning computer where she and Kath are currently. Of course, it may be no computer is needed to pull this off. Just the crystal placed at the exit of the stargate to catch whoever comes through. Though this crystal may be special and meant specifically for the NG, thus the spider carving on it.
I think its pretty obvious (to me anyway) that just using the star gate won't get you sucked into a crystal... another 'filtering' part of the system must be activated. When the system was activated during the mass storage event at Mapimi, the system was tuned to ethetian/Anasazi biology and hence, ethetians/Anasazi were stored. As I've stated above, I think that Lily and the other four that were dumped in the middle of the desert and forgotten were caught in mid transfer when Brandi/SDO were forced to shut down the system because of the Volcanic eruption... or perhaps the eruption itself caused the power outage, and Lily and gang were dropped from the system mid transfer. Lily obviously survived, if you can call it that, but when she died, forgotten, she became a vampire. It appears obvious that Brandi was standing in the gate portal when Bud used Lily's hand to activate the gate. I think Bud and Brandi are safe because to be honest, they are no longer Ethetians... they are Golems, with no soul to register as ethetian. Lily on the other hand is another question, because if they are in the gate portal, Lily would get sucked up too... and since there is only one crystal left, Lily would be forced to share with the nu Gui...

Something that's really had me thinking is that just because you are ethetian doesn't mean you know how to create a golem. Remember Bud's statement that the termination order was set for all ethetians with knowledge of golems... that in and of itself alludes to the fact that not ALL ethetians were on the hit list... That means that Lily and Kath would be exempt from the order... Bud, in her position as protector would most likely have been programmed to know the difference.

nerf-dweller

Post by nerf-dweller »

DilyV wrote:...

Something that's really had me thinking is that just because you are ethetian doesn't mean you know how to create a golem. Remember Bud's statement that the termination order was set for all ethetians with knowledge of golems... that in and of itself alludes to the fact that not ALL ethetians were on the hit list... That means that Lily and Kath would be exempt from the order... Bud, in her position as protector would most likely have been programmed to know the difference.
There is no termination order. Bud is blowing smoke (rather than the usual plasma :D ). It's all to keep the NG off kilter while Bud gets to Lily to use her to activate the star gate.
DilyV

Post by DilyV »

nerf-dweller wrote:
DilyV wrote:...

There is no termination order. Bud is blowing smoke (rather than the usual plasma :D ). It's all to keep the NG off kilter while Bud gets to Lily to use her to activate the star gate.
I know, I know... Sorry about that... I was doing fifty things at once and dealing with interruptions and didn't get to finish my thought before posting... What I'm saying is that's a hole in Bud's logic you could drive a bus through... and probably really threw SDO for a bigger loop than she thought it would. IF there were an order on that specific magnitude, by the way Bud said it, it was specifically tailored to the Ethetians who knew about Golums... That in itself claims that the order was not all inclusive... so... Imagine SDO first trying to reconcile where this bogus order came from... Then, knowing that all the rest had, as far as she knew, been nuked into molten slag. As she's trying to figure out where this order came from, Bud pins Suzi through her ample assets then turns on Lily. You can really hear the gears stripping in SDO's brain at this point. Too much to process mentally, slowed reactions physically because of the mental disconnect. By the time she figures out what Lily had been doing before the shutdown all those years ago, whoops!!! Too late...

So, now we know why Lily and the four were out near Mesa Verde... they were placing the crystals to catch stray Ethetians using the gates... SDO would have had to sabotage all the gates that way, to ensure that no one got away. Problem seems to be that some how the system powered down before Lily and gang transferred through the system to Mapimi and got ejected from the transfer before reaching the destination. With no power at the destination, the system kicked them out of the transfer, dropping them into the middle of nowhere. Lost. Forgotten. Vampire material.

Once again, I think Brandi and Bud are safe from getting sucked in because they are no longer Ethetian... they are Golems. Kath is safe because she's in the other room, Lily should be save because she's at the control panel... kinda like Scotty at the transporter controls. I get the feeling that this specific power up is specifically aimed at the Nu Gui inhabiting Brandi anyway.

*looks at SDO being lit up and sings "You light up my life"* heheee

Opus the Poet

Post by Opus the Poet »

Dave wrote:So, they'll do a store-and-separate on her, thus using some Bufferin' to get rid of that headache they've all been having.

I believe that is a quantum pun jar tapping you on either shoulder. Or neither shoulder.
I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
shadowinthelight

Post by shadowinthelight »

meisdadoo wrote:OK, now I am rally confused. Somehow Bud is now a master chessplayer instead of the "I <3 Lamp" girl we were led to believe.
Bud has never been portrayed as simple minded, just having simple desires. If she was real, I think me and Julie would be fighting over her.
Julie, about Wapsi Square wrote:Oh goodness yes. So much paranormal!

Image My deviantART and YouTube.
I'm done thinking for today! It's caused me enough trouble!