Follow My Lead 2013-06-20

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
NOTDilbert

Follow My Lead 2013-06-20

Post by NOTDilbert »

Wow, without even looking, she bypassed the rubber chicken and went straight for the crystal. Also glad to see Lily that fast on the uptake.

*edit* Suzy. It is NOTDilbert who is slow on the uptake.
Last edited by NOTDilbert on Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Imagination is more important than Knowledge" - Albert Einstein
"History doesn't repeat itself, but it DOES rhyme" - Mark Twain
"Always. Expect. Ninjas." - Syndey Scoville
Wyvern

Re: Follow My Lead 2013-06-20

Post by Wyvern »

Bud's lucky Suzy is a vampire. Putting a hole through someone's chest usually makes conversation difficult.
You should be reading the Wapsi Square Wiki.
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

Bud is on the ball with this one! Head fake, target engaged, stand by for action!
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
Dave

Post by Dave »

Wyvern wrote:Bud's lucky Suzy is a vampire. Putting a hole through someone's chest usually makes conversation difficult.
Yes. In most social circles it's considered awkward at best, a serious faux pas at worst.

Interesting that Bud and Suze could get in such involved sotto voce discussion so quickly. Brandi/Oduya must really be in serious brainlock from the surprise?

And, apparently, vampire spines do regenerate pretty quickly... or at least Bud expects this one to do so, and the vampire in question doesn't seem terribly bothered.
KnightDelight

Post by KnightDelight »

Whoa! That's one way to sneak the crystal past SDO. Painful and destructive, but clever. I do believe someone actually guessed she was doing that. Speak up, who was it? I don't wanna have to read through the comments to find it.

But why would Suzy think SDO is insane? Seriously. We know it, but why would the undead pair think so? Have they seen her go into full gerkatude and switch personalities? Of course, one does not accuse a creature with the ability to turn you into a diamond of being insane, so I can see why they would keep that tidbit to themselves.

And, how does Bud know the crystal is there in the first place?
DANGEROUSLY UNDER-MEDICATED
If we are what we eat, then I'm easy, fast, and cheap
DilyV

Post by DilyV »

That's Suzie that's quick on the uptake.

THIS is Lily:
Attachments
Ermagerd!!!
Ermagerd!!!
Lily faint.jpg (56.31 KiB) Viewed 8945 times
You know that light at the end of the tunnel?

Yeah... it's a bullet. Sorry.
DilyV

Post by DilyV »

KnightDelight wrote:Whoa! That's one way to sneak the crystal past SDO. Painful and destructive, but clever. I do believe someone actually guessed she was doing that. Speak up, who was it? I don't wanna have to read through the comments to find it.

But why would Suzy think SDO is insane? Seriously. We know it, but why would the undead pair think so? Have they seen her go into full gerkatude and switch personalities? Of course, one does not accuse a creature with the ability to turn you into a diamond of being insane, so I can see why they would keep that tidbit to themselves.

That would have been me... in this post:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1071&start=20#p19559

I remarked on Bud's prescience as a protector to know what the right thing to do was without prior knowledge of a situation...

NOTDilbert

Post by NOTDilbert »

DilyV wrote:That's Suzie that's quick on the uptake.

THIS is Lily:

(Laughs) Yeah, I'd already put my brain in the charger for tonight, post has been fixed.
"Imagination is more important than Knowledge" - Albert Einstein
"History doesn't repeat itself, but it DOES rhyme" - Mark Twain
"Always. Expect. Ninjas." - Syndey Scoville
MerchManDan

Post by MerchManDan »

Props to McBride: If somebody had punched through my torso, snappy patter would not be high on my to-do list.
KnightDelight wrote:And, how does Bud know the crystal is there in the first place?
That's the $64,000 Question, Knight. My best guess: When Bud poited in with plasma jets blazing, she somehow detected the crystal and changed plans accordingly. Offhand, I don't recall any evidence that the golems' senses are enhanced while they have the flames going, but that's the best I can do. My second-best guess: Somebody (MAYBE the Bibliothiki) knew McBride had the crystal - no, I don't know how - and informed Bud of this when we weren't looking.
"Give orange me give eat orange me eat orange give me eat orange give me you." - Nim the chimp
Animation courtesy of shadowinthelight (thanks again!)
DilyV

Post by DilyV »

NOTDilbert wrote:
DilyV wrote:That's Suzie that's quick on the uptake.

THIS is Lily:

(Laughs) Yeah, I'd already put my brain in the charger for tonight, post has been fixed.
No worries! I've been dying to show Lily passing the hell out over something like this... heheee

MerchManDan

Post by MerchManDan »

DilyV wrote:
KnightDelight wrote:Whoa! That's one way to sneak the crystal past SDO. Painful and destructive, but clever. I do believe someone actually guessed she was doing that. Speak up, who was it? I don't wanna have to read through the comments to find it.

That would have been me... in this post:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1071&start=20#p19559

I remarked on Bud's prescience as a protector to know what the right thing to do was without prior knowledge of a situation...
Sorry to rain on your parade, DilyV, but themadkansan guessed it first.
"Give orange me give eat orange me eat orange give me eat orange give me you." - Nim the chimp
Animation courtesy of shadowinthelight (thanks again!)
DilyV

Post by DilyV »

MerchManDan wrote: Sorry to rain on your parade, DilyV, but themadkansan guessed it first.
I was answering the question as to how Bud could have known the crystal was buried in Suzie's cleavage without prior knowledge that Lily had placed it there... not that Bud had punched it through the wall behind her. I thought that part was pretty much evident.

Dave

Post by Dave »

KnightDelight wrote:But why would Suzy think SDO is insane? Seriously. We know it, but why would the undead pair think so? Have they seen her go into full gerkatude and switch personalities? Of course, one does not accuse a creature with the ability to turn you into a diamond of being insane, so I can see why they would keep that tidbit to themselves.
I'm guessing it may have to do with having centuries to millennia of personal experience (if not strictly "life experience") to draw on. If you spend enough decades as a vampire would probably have to (living among the "underbelly" of society much of the time), and work in law enforcement for at least some of it, you'd probably develop a pretty good instinct for detecting those who are "off the rails" in one way for another. And, based on what their Captain said about entering dwellings, it seems that vampires may come hard-wired with some sensitivity to sanity or its absence.

Oduya might well be setting off all sorts of "smiling sociopath" alarms in their heads by now. The way she started in with the "sadly, our guide will not be joining us" bit, without exhibiting any amount of distress or concern, was a pretty good sign that something is off-kilter.

Lily at least had heard stories about the Senior Director long before they met, and her reaction upon meeting Oduya suggests that they were scary stories. If they were anything like what the General knew of her, well... "powerful person who is perfectly willing to arrange a painful and humiliating death for you, if you even think of crossing her" is pretty close to "brilliant psychopath", is it not?

I wouldn't say that Oduya is "insane" in the sense of "psychotic" or even "delusional", but "sociopathic" or "psychopathic" do seem to apply.
DilyV

Post by DilyV »

Dave wrote:
KnightDelight wrote:But why would Suzy think SDO is insane? Seriously. We know it, but why would the undead pair think so? Have they seen her go into full gerkatude and switch personalities? Of course, one does not accuse a creature with the ability to turn you into a diamond of being insane, so I can see why they would keep that tidbit to themselves.
I'm guessing it may have to do with having centuries to millennia of personal experience (if not strictly "life experience") to draw on. If you spend enough decades as a vampire would probably have to (living among the "underbelly" of society much of the time), and work in law enforcement for at least some of it, you'd probably develop a pretty good instinct for detecting those who are "off the rails" in one way for another. And, based on what their Captain said about entering dwellings, it seems that vampires may come hard-wired with some sensitivity to sanity or its absence.

Oduya might well be setting off all sorts of "smiling sociopath" alarms in their heads by now. The way she started in with the "sadly, our guide will not be joining us" bit, without exhibiting any amount of distress or concern, was a pretty good sign that something is off-kilter.

Lily at least had heard stories about the Senior Director long before they met, and her reaction upon meeting Oduya suggests that they were scary stories. If they were anything like what the General knew of her, well... "powerful person who is perfectly willing to arrange a painful and humiliating death for you, if you even think of crossing her" is pretty close to "brilliant psychopath", is it not?

I wouldn't say that Oduya is "insane" in the sense of "psychotic" or even "delusional", but "sociopathic" or "psychopathic" do seem to apply.
Not to mention, dare I say it? Schizophrenic...

illiad

Post by illiad »

Dave wrote: And, apparently, vampire spines do regenerate pretty quickly... or at least Bud expects this one to do so, and the vampire in question doesn't seem terribly bothered.
Have you seen 'death becomes her'? that may be similar for vampires..
MerchManDan wrote:Props to McBride: If somebody had punched through my torso, snappy patter would not be high on my to-do list.
nah, not that much to a vampire - she would most likely think " thank {deity} I didn't wear my good shirt today, at least I know a good seamstress! :)"
shadowinthelight

Post by shadowinthelight »

"we'll be OK" is a rather humorous thing to say when you are elbow deep in someone's sternum.
NOTDilbert wrote:Wow, without even looking, she bypassed the rubber chicken and went straight for the crystal. Also glad to see Lily that fast on the uptake.

*edit* Suzy. It is NOTDilbert who is slow on the uptake.
*gives NOTDilbert a manly bro-hug for remembering the rubber chicken*
Julie, about Wapsi Square wrote:Oh goodness yes. So much paranormal!

Image My deviantART and YouTube.
I'm done thinking for today! It's caused me enough trouble!
Dave

Post by Dave »

DilyV wrote:Not to mention, dare I say it? Schizophrenic...
"Schizophrenic" in the popular sense of "split personality", yes, definitely! (although the two vampires may never have actually seen her Brandi persona, or the changeover). I believe it's more formally referred to as "dissociative personality disorder" these days.

I doubt she'd be diagnosed as "schizophrenic" in the current medical sense of the term... that's a delusional psychosis with a disordered thought process, and both Brandi and Oduya seem much too rational to qualify.
Sphinx-Napped

Post by Sphinx-Napped »

Dave wrote:
Wyvern wrote:Bud's lucky Suzy is a vampire. Putting a hole through someone's chest usually makes conversation difficult.
Yes. In most social circles it's considered awkward at best, a serious faux pas at worst.

Interesting that Bud and Suze could get in such involved sotto voce discussion so quickly. Brandi/Oduya must really be in serious brainlock from the surprise?

And, apparently, vampire spines do regenerate pretty quickly... or at least Bud expects this one to do so, and the vampire in question doesn't seem terribly bothered.
that or she missed the spine all together grabbed the crystal and moved her hand little to the left just enough to miss her spine and maybe break few ribs i mean it may cause rapid blood lose but but could remove her hand and generate enough heat thru her hand to cause cauterize effect as she pulls it healing her as she pulls it out?, wait can golems heat there own arms up? without sticking in a fire like how jin did with her hand for her "warm butt" that she cured by heating her hand in the fire place
Last edited by Sphinx-Napped on Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Punjar repair man, that recently up graded the pun jar to 2.0 now with self defense and and evil ai that will try to kill you, if you even try to hurt it for doing its job...
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

Not reading any comments before i say this - how is Suzi talking? Even if vamps don't need to breathe to survive, it still takes lungs to taslk.
Not even duct tape can fix stupid. But it can muffle the noise.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
My2Cents

Post by My2Cents »

Note that McBride can instantly identify pig blood, probably by smell. Despite her poor impulse control she also seems to be a fast thinker.

Since Bud has pig blood on her hands, then she hasn't killed Kathryn and Atsali, therefore the "terminate with extreme prejudice” order is probably also a lie. Bud obviously knows about vampires, too.

McBride’s conclusion: Bud needs an excuse to get close for clandestine communications.
While misery loves company, chaos brings along friends.