Follow My Lead 2013-06-20

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
nerf-dweller

Re: Follow My Lead 2013-06-20

Post by nerf-dweller »

MerchManDan wrote:Props to McBride: If somebody had punched through my torso, snappy patter would not be high on my to-do list.
KnightDelight wrote:And, how does Bud know the crystal is there in the first place?
That's the $64,000 Question, Knight. My best guess: When Bud poited in with plasma jets blazing, she somehow detected the crystal and changed plans accordingly. Offhand, I don't recall any evidence that the golems' senses are enhanced while they have the flames going, but that's the best I can do. My second-best guess: Somebody (MAYBE the Bibliothiki) knew McBride had the crystal - no, I don't know how - and informed Bud of this when we weren't looking.
Well since the Crystal now has impressions of Bud's fingers, I'd say that Bud didn't know it was there. I think Bud grabbed it inadvertently as she was putting her hand through Suzy's chest. I'm thinking she was going for the "grab the heart from their and pull it out beating" shtick to keep Brandi off center. After Bud felt the Crystal rather than the Suzy's heart, she went off script to find out where Suzy and Lily stand in regards to SDO.
Sidhekin

Post by Sidhekin »

I'm pretty sure that's no impression of Bud's fingers, just a different angle to the already noted spider design: http://wapsisquare.com/comic/crystal-spider/
perl -e 'print "Just another Perl ${\(trickster and hacker)},";'

The Sidhekin proves that Sidhe did it!
nerf-dweller

Post by nerf-dweller »

Yamara wrote:
themadkansan wrote:And remember, we only have Brandi's word that she's put out by a "curveball". That could be a lie, too.
Brandi looks pretty confused/flustered in the first panel of yesterday's comic.
nerf-dweller

Post by nerf-dweller »

Sidhekin wrote:I'm pretty sure that's no impression of Bud's fingers, just a different angle to the already noted spider design: http://wapsisquare.com/comic/crystal-spider/
You're right. I didn't look closely at it, and I had forgotten what the topside looked like. 'sides Bud didn't have 8 fingers :).
Yamara

Post by Yamara »

nerf-dweller wrote:
Yamara wrote:And remember, we only have Brandi's word that she's put out by a "curveball". That could be a lie, too.
Sweet Brandi does, yes. The SDO/Devil Baby's reaction we have yet to see.

I think Bud's next step in Confuse-A-Cat is her threatening the population of the planet. That will demand a response from Brandi and/or SDO. It's also a smart move, because it lets Bud control the narrative: Everything is suddenly all about the apocalypse Bud is pretending to begin, not the whatever one SDO may have been masterminding.
PunPalsm the fastest way to pay the pun jar

Do Not Taunt Happy Fun Baal.
as363

Post by as363 »

Re the "spider" design on the dropped crystal - if it shatters when it hits the ground - what would the effect on Ms. K.G. be ?

And no - I'm not talking about the KGB - that's up to Putin and the Tea Party to settle...
Yamara

Post by Yamara »

As an ongoing aside, I just want to say I'm really starting to enjoy Pratt & McBride... because of the trope they've drawn from the deck. They get to first meet all the terrors of the world in the worst possible situations, like Kolchak or Mulder & Scully stumbling across monster after monster while having their duty hindered by even more subtle forces. Even Tsillah can't help herself going in.

Of course, we know the cast as the dorkward gal pals who are always seeking after a quiet beach to get away from sloppy Upper Midwest weather patterns. But for Pratt & McBride, it's a bottomless, cosmic conspiratorial nightmare of inhuman chaos.

And I'll bet Tina made the same first impression on them, years ago.

Awesome.
PunPalsm the fastest way to pay the pun jar

Do Not Taunt Happy Fun Baal.
Timotheus

Post by Timotheus »

I would like to "poit" out that Bud has placed her fist through Susi's "Hammer Space", where the crystal spider gem (and the rubber chicken) were being kept. Having cleaved through the hollow space between Susi's more prominent topographical features and not her body mass, Bud's fist could "poit" out again and smash the wall for effect, dropping the crystal on the other side. Thus while it looks bad it hasn't actually hurt Ms. Susi. or interfered with her vocal functions. (It could also have caused some spatial distortion and and made a right hand appear to be a left.)

(I'll drop all my unused coke rewards points into the pun jar)
Last edited by Timotheus on Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
If I Knew What I Was Doing I'd Be Dangerous.
Nov shmoz ka pop?
Hansontoons

Post by Hansontoons »

zachariah wrote:I'm still waiting for the scene where Brandi goes catatonic from the shock. I suspect Bud did not know the crystal was there but felt it as she struck at McBride and changed the punch into a grab. A bit of slight of hand turned her right to a left and back again and Viola all is well. Dropping the crystal in another room takes it out of play for the SDO.

I've been to Mesa Verdi and unless these are hidden rooms nothing there looks like that. No tables and chairs at all. There are no stone walls between rooms, just ones made of adobe and wood, or loose rock.
I was just at Mesa Verde last Wednesday and granted the Houses that the touristas are allowed to get close to do employ a healthy amount of mud brick and wood for construction material. It is amazing what the builders accomplished with the tools at hand.

SDO is prolly not going to rub shoulders with hoi polloi, so I'm figgerin' that this bunch is hanging out in some later-build uptown structure (the wall Bud punched through to me does still look to be brick-like) that is tucked away in a little travelled or undiscovered/cloaked from normal eyes canyon. Out of sight is the mini-fridge and plasma TV along with Naugahyde BarcaLoungers for relaxing purposes.
Dragon Hostler

Post by Dragon Hostler »

Yamara wrote:As an ongoing aside, I just want to say I'm really starting to enjoy Pratt & McBride... because of the trope they've drawn from the deck. They get to first meet all the terrors of the world in the worst possible situations, like Kolchak or Mulder & Scully stumbling across monster after monster while having their duty hindered by even more subtle forces. Even Tsillah can't help herself going in.

Of course, we know the cast as the dorkward gal pals who are always seeking after a quiet beach to get away from sloppy Upper Midwest weather patterns. But for Pratt & McBride, it's a bottomless, cosmic conspiratorial nightmare of inhuman chaos.

And I'll bet Tina made the same first impression on them, years ago.

Awesome.
Awesome indeed! A dead woman walks out of a morgue. Who ya gonna call...? Pratt and McBride of the FBI.
Ummmm., except that was in Mexico. OTOH; they might've picked up her trail later.
Born Again Heathen
Hostling dragons is similar to hostling horses, but ya need a bigger shovel, oh, and bigger nose plugs. Don't forget the nose plugs!
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

Yamara wrote:
nerf-dweller wrote:
Yamara wrote:And remember, we only have Brandi's word that she's put out by a "curveball". That could be a lie, too.
Sweet Brandi does, yes. The SDO/Devil Baby's reaction we have yet to see.
That's not Brandi - that's the Senior Director. Look at her hair - SDO's hair is a sweep; Brandi's is symmetrical.
Not even duct tape can fix stupid. But it can muffle the noise.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
bmonk

Post by bmonk »

Maybe . . . maybe Bud thought the crystal was actually marked with a fly, making it a web-bugging crystal, and she realized that Brandi's bra was bugged, and wanted to help her out.

"May I help you out? Which way did you enter?"

<dangles a fly swatter towards the pun jar.>