Follow My Lead 2013-06-20

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
Sidhekin

Re: Follow My Lead 2013-06-20

Post by Sidhekin »

Fairportfan wrote:Not reading any comments before i say this - how is Suzi talking? Even if vamps don't need to breathe to survive, it still takes lungs to taslk.
Yeah? How's Bud talking then? ETA an illustration: http://wapsisquare.com/comic/ticklish/

(It's magic.)
Last edited by Sidhekin on Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
perl -e 'print "Just another Perl ${\(trickster and hacker)},";'

The Sidhekin proves that Sidhe did it!
Sphinx-Napped

Post by Sphinx-Napped »

Fairportfan wrote:Not reading any comments before i say this - how is Suzi talking? Even if vamps don't need to breathe to survive, it still takes lungs to taslk.
not quite lungs only take in oxygen but the air does need to stimulate the cords and from the looks of it but i may be wrong, she grab the crystal and aimed between the lungs and second you only a need tongue and a larynx to talk to cause the vocal strings to generate and for the tongue to form sounds and lips unless i miss my guess lungs are dead, her heart is dead. to test this you can actually deplete you own lungs of all air and speak without breathing for few seconds
Punjar repair man, that recently up graded the pun jar to 2.0 now with self defense and and evil ai that will try to kill you, if you even try to hurt it for doing its job...
themadkansan

Post by themadkansan »

small continuity goof:

Bud's right arm is going into her chest, but Bud's left hand is coming out the back...

:o :mrgreen:
Sidhekin

Post by Sidhekin »

Um ... mirror universe? :mrgreen:

I love that "greatly reduced". Sure to set those clay gears turning. I just need to watch myself wondering where she's going with that line. 8-)

Dragon Hostler

Post by Dragon Hostler »

Great sleight of hand with the crystal.

2 points to me for guessing a vampire would twig to the pig's blood.
2 points to Susie for keeping her wits under pressure.
Is Lilly with SDO or on the floor again.? Poor girl's had a rough week.

Vocal cords do require air movement to produce sound.
Born Again Heathen
Hostling dragons is similar to hostling horses, but ya need a bigger shovel, oh, and bigger nose plugs. Don't forget the nose plugs!
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

Dragon Hostler wrote:Vocal cords do require air movement to produce sound.
Yep. When you talk your lungs force air between the vocal cords, which are set vibrating, the exact pitch varying with tension controlled by muscles. The lips, teeth and tongue then shape the sounds.

Lungs are necessary.

As to Bud talking - right, that would appear to be a magical loudspeaker somewhere about where her larynx would be.
Not even duct tape can fix stupid. But it can muffle the noise.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
Kingmaker

Post by Kingmaker »

Wsa anyone else doing the "Bud is awesome Happy dance"? Cause I was.

Poor Suzie. Even in undeath that still has to hurt and yet she takes it without a flinch.

Plus I love how quickly she picked up on the pigs blood.

Also, with Bud's fist pressed through her chest, I would think she would agree with anything Bud said. :p
"But when they said, "Give us a king to lead us," this displeased Samuel; so he prayed to the LORD"
1 Samuel 8:6

Sometimes being the Kingmaker is harder than it sounds, especially when people don't know what they are getting into.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Viewpoint alert: Bud shoved her arm through Suzi's left shoulder, just above the lungs and probably right through her shoulder blade - but not taking out anything (like she did with Monica, for example).

She did go in through the cleavage, though. She had to, to get the crystal.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
Yamara

Post by Yamara »

themadkansan wrote:small continuity goof:

Bud's right arm is going into her chest, but Bud's left hand is coming out the back...
I was going to say. Perhaps Bud has finally found a way to morph herself, but is still strangely shy about it.
Dave wrote:Interesting that Bud and Suze could get in such involved sotto voce discussion so quickly. Brandi/Oduya must really be in serious brainlock from the surprise?
I wouldn't jump to that conclusion. Brandi is sitting right there.
Galaxy Quest wrote: Jason Nesmith: Okay Gwen, put me back on with him.
Gwen DeMarco: That's what I've been trying to tell you, Jason. You ARE back with him.
Sarris: Perhaps I am not as stupid as I am ugly, commander!
Jason Nesmith: [to Gwen] I gave you the 'kill' gesture.
Gwen DeMarco: No, you gave me the 'we're dead' signal. I was agreeing with you. Like I know where the 'hold' button is.
Unless today's dialogue is all part of Bud's attempt at Confuse-A-Cat.

And remember, we only have Brandi's word that she's put out by a "curveball". That could be a lie, too.
PunPalsm the fastest way to pay the pun jar

Do Not Taunt Happy Fun Baal.
eee

Post by eee »

Dragon Hostler wrote:Great sleight of hand with the crystal.

2 points to me for guessing a vampire would twig to the pig's blood.
2 points to Susie for keeping her wits under pressure.
Is Lilly with SDO or on the floor again.? Poor girl's had a rough week.

Vocal cords do require air movement to produce sound.
True. And Bud's fist would have taken out Suzy's trachea. It SHOULD be impossible for her to talk and produce sound. Perhaps she's just moving her lips and Bud is lip reading. Or perhaps we're underestimating Bud's 'poit' abilities. Bud might be strong enough to open a portal in front of Suzy's chest and behind her back at skin level and be able to keep them open as she shoves her fist through, making it LOOK like she's run Suzy through but actually leaving her unharmed. Or this might be one of the favors Bud called in, maybe from the Demons.

The Demons might also be responsible for Bud knowing about the crystal. Suzy and Lily might still have demons who could tell Bud what their 'owners' did. Or it might be a last second improvisation. Bud was crowding Suzy up against the wall in preparation of 'killing' her, looked down, saw what she recognized as a Data Crystal in Suzy's cleavage, and thought fast enough to grab the Crystal on her way in and drop it after her hand was all the way through...
displaced

Post by displaced »

so she turns around and tells the only person in the room capable of stopping her that she's going to die? hmmm... this is a misdirection? Brandi is having a fit at this point. Bud just told her that there's a sequence started that she can't stop and she's the next target. I think I'd run.
KnightDelight

Post by KnightDelight »

MerchManDan wrote:Sorry to rain on your parade, DilyV, but themadkansan guessed it first.
Yes, that's the one I was thinking about. In fairness to DilyV, however, my question was poorly stated and open to interpretation. That happens a lot around here, as the discussion on intent vs perception illustrates.

Also, about this thing with Bud taking out the lungs. If she did,it would likely have been one lung, Suzy still has another. Also, we know Bud has lightening fast and precise reflexes as seen in her saving of Jin from suicide (without killing her in the process). She could have calculated a route that would have bypassed vital organs as she punched her way through. Finally. She is Galaxy-Force strong. She did not need to "punch" at all to begin with. She can just move her arm and hand along at a deliberate pace, feeling her way around as she went and pushing, not ramming, a hole in the wall in the end process. Sort of like a machine punch press does.

The thing about all this to me is that we know the golems have super good hearing. It's odd Brandi didn't hear that discussion. Maybe she's too locked up to take it in and process it at the moment.
DANGEROUSLY UNDER-MEDICATED
If we are what we eat, then I'm easy, fast, and cheap
Julie

Post by Julie »

Kingmaker wrote:Wsa anyone else doing the "Bud is awesome Happy dance"? Cause I was.
Yep! I was totally dancing too. Bud's SO my favorite! :D
displaced wrote:so she turns around and tells the only person in the room capable of stopping her that she's going to die? hmmm... this is a misdirection? Brandi is having a fit at this point. Bud just told her that there's a sequence started that she can't stop and she's the next target. I think I'd run.
I think Bud was saying those things to Lily...not Brandi. Lily wouldn't be capable of stopping her...and for what it's worth, if Brandi's wits aren't working right now, I doubt she could stop Bud's physical attack either. We've already learned that Bud's the strongest one. :)
"Just open your eyes
And see that life is beautiful."
starkruzr

Post by starkruzr »

Someone remind me what this crystal IS? And why does it look like a giant aspirin tablet?
Dr. Otter

Post by Dr. Otter »

I noticed some things that got me thinking:
  • Suzi was rather blasé about having her thorax broached, almost as if used to it.
    That crystal is too darn big to hide in even her prodigious cleavage without a noticeable bulge.
    When Lili hid the crystal, a large portion of her arm disappeared between Suzi's breasts.
Is it possible that Lili hid it inside Suzi's thorax as well, albeit with less drama?
Be the role model she'll always remember. Be a Girl Scout volunteer today!
Sidhekin

Post by Sidhekin »

starkruzr wrote:Someone remind me what this crystal IS? And why does it look like a giant aspirin tablet?
We do not know. We're speculating, though.

Lily doesn't know. She thinks the design looks like a spider, though: http://wapsisquare.com/comic/crystal-spider/

Dave

Post by Dave »

displaced wrote:so she turns around and tells the only person in the room capable of stopping her that she's going to die? hmmm... this is a misdirection? Brandi is having a fit at this point. Bud just told her that there's a sequence started that she can't stop and she's the next target. I think I'd run.
I think Bud was turning towards, and addressing Lily, not Brandi. Lily is Etheitian, Bud had just said that her "termination orders" were to kill all the Etheitians as well as anyone working with them, and Bud has just "killed" Suzi (who she "accused" of working with an Etheitian).

So, I think Bud's verbal death threat is her way of cuing up to cross the room and "attack" Lily next... it's to mislead Brandi/Oduya about her intentions and motivation.

Pig blood, eh? Makes sense... it would bring some ham with it, and Bud is certainly applying lots of that right now!
zachariah

Post by zachariah »

I'm still waiting for the scene where Brandi goes catatonic from the shock. I suspect Bud did not know the crystal was there but felt it as she struck at McBride and changed the punch into a grab. A bit of slight of hand turned her right to a left and back again and Viola all is well. Dropping the crystal in another room takes it out of play for the SDO.

I've been to Mesa Verdi and unless these are hidden rooms nothing there looks like that. No tables and chairs at all. There are no stone walls between rooms, just ones made of adobe and wood, or loose rock.
Ambush questions are fun. Watching the mental impact of them as they distort, or crumble, opinions based on faulty logic.
kingklash

Post by kingklash »

Who's outside waiting to catch the crystal spider?
dex drako

Post by dex drako »

Sphinx-Napped wrote:not quite lungs only take in oxygen but the air does need to stimulate the cords and from the looks of it but i may be wrong, she grab the crystal and aimed between the lungs and second you only a need tongue and a larynx to talk to cause the vocal strings to generate and for the tongue to form sounds and lips unless i miss my guess lungs are dead, her heart is dead. to test this you can actually deplete you own lungs of all air and speak without breathing for few seconds
think of the vice like a trumpet.

the vocal cords, teeth and mouth are the valves but with out a large volume of air moving over then they can't make any sound. the reason you can beath out and still take is because you'r lungs are being filled with CO2 that's being off gassed by your blood.