A Few Favors 2013-06-17

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
Dave

Re: A Few Favors 2013-06-17

Post by Dave »

nerf-dweller wrote:Something just occurred to me. How is Bud gonna call in those favors from the Demon Realm? Monica can have her demons relay any messages. But if anything required some personal intervention... Personal demons are trapped inside of their host. Monica's doorway is sealed by the knife that is/isn't in her head. The teleportal cloth is destroyed. The who point of the Calendar Machine saga to was to make sure the doorway was closed.

Edit: I just remembered there were two doorways: Monica and Shelly. If wonder if Shelly is still doorway material?
There are two sets of demons running around who are not tied to a human host. Tina's covey of demons can go out-of-body (they're "free range"), and Conscience is at least somewhat independent of Shelly and seems to have some ability to "come and go." Possibly one of them can act as a messenger, or even implement something of Bud's planning?

And, since Bud appears to have spent a significant amount of time (in her own frame of reference) in the Demon Dimension, during the Calendar Machine smackdown, she may have learned of some sort of access channels that weren't entirely blocked.
PartTimeRaccoon

Post by PartTimeRaccoon »

I ran across this today while catching up on my reading. The January 28, 2012 issue of Science News has an article about chimera monkeys made from six embryos. http://www.questia.com/library/1G1-2789 ... -prospects I couldn't find the complete article on line. That's too bad, because the monkeys' eyes in the print version look just like Katherine's.
dex drako

Post by dex drako »

yeah I don't think brandi has anything to do with planing to get ride of this nu gui.

looking at these two pages ( http://wapsisquare.com/comic/late-popsicle/ and http://wapsisquare.com/comic/awful-convenient/) really show how little brandi knows about what SDO does . Btandi doesn't seem to know anything about our two vamp friends but a few pages later you have SDO calling them by name.
DilyV

Post by DilyV »

dex drako wrote:yeah I don't think brandi has anything to do with planing to get ride of this nu gui.

looking at these two pages ( http://wapsisquare.com/comic/late-popsicle/ and http://wapsisquare.com/comic/awful-convenient/) really show how little brandi knows about what SDO does . Btandi doesn't seem to know anything about our two vamp friends but a few pages later you have SDO calling them by name.
The obvious question is... what happens to Brandi when SDO makes her appearance? What happens when Brandi is in one place, like say... Wapsi Square and SDO needs to make an appearance in oh... Mapimi? How does this reconcile itself?
You know that light at the end of the tunnel?

Yeah... it's a bullet. Sorry.
Dave

Post by Dave »

DilyV wrote:The obvious question is... what happens to Brandi when SDO makes her appearance? What happens when Brandi is in one place, like say... Wapsi Square and SDO needs to make an appearance in oh... Mapimi? How does this reconcile itself?
My guess is that it's something like what we've already seen happen. Brandi turns away, goes "urk" a couple of times, Oduya takes control of her body, turns back and smiles seductively, makes her apologies or an excuse for leaving, and poits away. When Brandi gets control back, she doesn't remember what had happened (although from her comments I suspect that she usually realizes that Oduya had been running the ship for a while).

I don't think I've seen any evidence to support the "She can be in two places at once" or "There are actually two of her" theories that were floated around. She's just a golem with MPD (and that's one of the more unusual uses of the word "just" I've had occasion to make in recent days ;) )
Timotheus

Post by Timotheus »

On the other hand, since golems are essentially just clay shells and can be altered after they are made (as we saw May do to Jin), and adding poiting techniques as potential duplicating methods, there's nothing saying there can't be two Brandis out there either. Or even one Brandi that can become two Brandis from time to time. No hard evidence really for or against, but lots of circumstantial evidence for something funny happening.
If I Knew What I Was Doing I'd Be Dangerous.
Nov shmoz ka pop?
Grantwhy

Post by Grantwhy »

hmmmm ..... this gives me an idea on who might of arranged for Bud to rescue Katherine and Atsali.

Brandi.

SDO might have set up the self destruct / deathtrap / anti-poit ... but Brandi would of known that Bud would survive the explosion and be able to put people into her ... (?) bellyroom/pouch/secret compartment.

It would require Brandi to be more aware of SDO/STO plans that we think *AND* for Brandi to be able to plan/act without SDO knowing/or being able to stop Brandi, but I think this is one of my more plausible theories.

:shock:

yes, need more coffee + more sugar so I can get back to my usual way of thinking :-p
As a CareBearAnarchist I believe in the destruction and overthrow of the perils of society through random and senseless acts of consideration and kindness
Growing older is compulsory, growing up is optional
Dumb things happen to smart phones
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

nerf-dweller wrote:Something just occurred to me. How is Bud gonna call in those favors from the Demon Realm? Monica can have her demons relay any messages. But if anything required some personal intervention... Personal demons are trapped inside of their host. Monica's doorway is sealed by the knife that is/isn't in her head. The teleportal cloth is destroyed. The who point of the Calendar Machine saga to was to make sure the doorway was closed.
Yep, Monica's gateway was closed, and the cloth was destroyed..

But Monica i sno the Jaguar Girl, and Jaguars are messengers between the world and the spirit realms.
Not even duct tape can fix stupid. But it can muffle the noise.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
scantrontb

Post by scantrontb »

Dave wrote:
DilyV wrote:The obvious question is... what happens to Brandi when SDO makes her appearance? What happens when Brandi is in one place, like say... Wapsi Square and SDO needs to make an appearance in oh... Mapimi? How does this reconcile itself?
My guess is that it's something like what we've already seen happen. Brandi turns away, goes "urk" a couple of times, Oduya takes control of her body, turns back and smiles seductively, makes her apologies or an excuse for leaving, and poits away. When Brandi gets control back, she doesn't remember what had happened (although from her comments I suspect that she usually realizes that Oduya had been running the ship for a while).

I don't think I've seen any evidence to support the "She can be in two places at once" or "There are actually two of her" theories that were floated around. She's just a golem with MPD (and that's one of the more unusual uses of the word "just" I've had occasion to make in recent days ;) )
the arc where Monica goes thru the portal cloth to get the other half of the portal cloth and ends up in the gun runners place... when she came BACK Bud said "that PART OF HER went with her", yet we saw that she was in the same room all the time... so i think there IS evidence of them being able to be in two places at once... HOW, i have no clue, but it seems it CAN be done...

http://wapsisquare.com/comic/motherhen/
Don't planto mihi adveho illac
dex drako

Post by dex drako »

I don't think Monica's gateway being "closed" means nothing can come through but more that she control who can come through now. I mean if it was really closed none of her own demons could walk around freely like they did when we first met the vamps. she would be like a normal person with her demons being purely a metaphysical inner voices type of thing.
shadowinthelight

Post by shadowinthelight »

scantrontb wrote:the arc where Monica goes thru the portal cloth to get the other half of the portal cloth and ends up in the gun runners place... when she came BACK Bud said "that PART OF HER went with her", yet we saw that she was in the same room all the time... so i think there IS evidence of them being able to be in two places at once... HOW, i have no clue, but it seems it CAN be done...

http://wapsisquare.com/comic/motherhen/
I took that to mean some kind of psychic/mental link similar to how Jin listens in on other's conversations, maybe seing what Monica sees as well as hears.
Julie, about Wapsi Square wrote:Oh goodness yes. So much paranormal!

Image My deviantART and YouTube.
I'm done thinking for today! It's caused me enough trouble!
KnightDelight

Post by KnightDelight »

PartTimeRaccoon wrote:I ran across this today while catching up on my reading. The January 28, 2012 issue of Science News has an article about chimera monkeys made from six embryos. http://www.questia.com/library/1G1-2789 ... -prospects I couldn't find the complete article on line. That's too bad, because the monkeys' eyes in the print version look just like Katherine's.
Here ya go; http://www.readcube.com/articles/10.100 ... 5591810215 Not the whole article, but the picture is there.
DANGEROUSLY UNDER-MEDICATED
If we are what we eat, then I'm easy, fast, and cheap
Timotheus

Post by Timotheus »

shadowinthelight wrote:I took that to mean some kind of psychic/mental link similar to how Jin listens in on other's conversations, maybe seeing what Monica sees as well as hears.
Well, Bud also pulled all those grenade pins and brought them back, that would imply a rather physical presence.
Nov shmoz ka pop?
shadowinthelight

Post by shadowinthelight »

Timotheus wrote:Well, Bud also pulled all those grenade pins and brought them back, that would imply a rather physical presence.
If Jin (I think it was her) can poit away Monica's bodily waste, I think Bud could handle remote poit-pulling of the pins.
Julie, about Wapsi Square wrote:Oh goodness yes. So much paranormal!

Image My deviantART and YouTube.
I'm done thinking for today! It's caused me enough trouble!
Grantwhy

Post by Grantwhy »

shadowinthelight wrote:
Timotheus wrote:Well, Bud also pulled all those grenade pins and brought them back, that would imply a rather physical presence.
If Jin (I think it was her) can poit away Monica's bodily waste, I think Bud could handle remote poit-pulling of the pins.
Well, Bud just recently poited a sun dress from home ... [hopefully - otherwise some poor person went from walking along a beach enjoying the walk to 'making a scene' :o .... er ... back to a point]... a sun dress from home so remote poiting with great precision is well within Bud's abilities.
As a CareBearAnarchist I believe in the destruction and overthrow of the perils of society through random and senseless acts of consideration and kindness
Growing older is compulsory, growing up is optional
Dumb things happen to smart phones
Julie

Post by Julie »

DilyV wrote:THIS strip: http://wapsisquare.com/comic/the-deal/ Seems to make it pretty clear that even BRANDI thought she'd made a deal with the demon realm.
Not necessarily. That strip just makes it clear that her deal affects the Demons and the Elder Gods...not that the deal was made with one group or the other. :) Paul is the master at dangling just enough information for us to draw inaccurate conclusions, and I think that strip is one of the best doozies he's done so far. It's easy to assume that the deal must have been made with the entities who stand to gain from the actions taken as a result of the deal...but that's still an assumption we all made. :) Think about it. If you're dealing with a highly irrational vengeful spirit who is out to harm others and even make you harm yourself, would that spirit want want the Demons to have free reign (or at least as much as possible) with the humans? Wouldn't it want to block out the immortals who could potentially take notice of its actions and step in (for whatever their reasons)?
dex drako wrote:I don't think Monica's gateway being "closed" means nothing can come through but more that she control who can come through now. I mean if it was really closed none of her own demons could walk around freely like they did when we first met the vamps. she would be like a normal person with her demons being purely a metaphysical inner voices type of thing.
I think at some point we were told (either in the comic or the boards) that her doorway is more of a one-way portal now instead of a revolving door...or maybe I'm misremembering. :P
"Just open your eyes
And see that life is beautiful."
Opus the Poet

Post by Opus the Poet »

AmriloJim wrote:
Fairportfan wrote:Is Brandi responsible for Windows 8?
Nah... the new GUI in Windows 8 comes from an even lower, darker circle of Hell.

(drops full set of Windows 3.11 3-1/4" install diskettes in the pun jar)
Hey, I have one of those also! :ugeek:
I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
Opus the Poet

Post by Opus the Poet »

Dave wrote:
Julie wrote:Yeah, the "Bia" headband/tiara thing has thrown people off (me included), but now I wonder a couple of things about that. Is it possible that they are seeing Bia's image as a result of having seen Bia there when they were on their rampage as the Chimera?

... snip...

She may well have been intended to inherit a position of power, so the headgear (which might not have been just Bia's, but something associated with Lanthian society) could very well be appropriate.
Fairportfan wrote:That glyph also appears in the Library.
Yes, I agree that this glyph seems to be significant in Lanthian society, and perhaps more. The fact that Bia is wearing it, suggests that it may date back to (or have significance to) the Titans and the Elder Gods.

I have a hunch. Likely wrong, but it makes a crazy kind of sense - it ties into the mythology and religious practices of many civilizations throughout history, and could also add some explanation to the power struggle in Lanthis.

Notice that the glyph bears a striking resemblance to a stylized animal head, with horns. >snip<

(Drops an entire package of tofu cutlets into the Pun Jar).

Or it could be the uterus and ovaries of a human female. That would make it a symbol of the matriarchy.
I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
Timotheus

Post by Timotheus »

It's a hood emblem for a Dodge Ram Charger.
Nov shmoz ka pop?