Wrath 2013-06-11

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
KnightDelight

Re: Wrath 2013-06-11

Post by KnightDelight »

Dave wrote:
KnightDelight wrote:
sheik wrote:A lot has been said here about how SDO has made too great a risk with innocent lives.
I think even that may be deliberate.
What if this is part of SDO's plan to break her contract with the demons by getting Monica involved?
I don't know. You don't double cross demons. They know all, and see all and can kill a human in a heartbeat (literally).
I'm not sure that's all entirely true. Yes, they exist "outside of time", but while interacting with humans they do seem to have time-bound constraints.

Jin's Demon Queen was taken quite by surprise when Shelly brainstabbed Monica, turned Monica into a vacuum suction gate, and sucked the Queen and the Calendar Machine into the Demon Dimension... the Queen definitely didn't see this coming.

Neither Conscience (soul-fused coven) nor Tina (free-range covey, evolving into a coven) "know all, see all".

So, despite their "eternal" nature and their powers I don't think demons are either omniscient or all-powerful by any means.

And, my impression is that taking direct action to kill a human is on the "forbidden by the sphinxes" list for demons, and would get the demon in question shredded into nothingness the next time a sphinx chose to take action. Tina was able to threaten Shelly with heart-stoppage only because Shelly is no longer "human" according to the sphinx rules - as a human/sphinx hybrid she's not protected by sphinx law, and she's not sphinx enough (or well-trained enough?) to defend herself against demonic compulsion directly.

Brandi isn't particularly vulnerable to heart stoppage, either. As a golem, she (and the other GGs) may even be completely immune to the demonic suggestion-compulsion to which humans are vulnerable. I don't think we've been shown that anything other than proper Glyph-speech can compel a golem.
I didn't mean they could see the future. I meant they can "see" through human eyes. And they are in a place with many others who can do the same. A bit of asking around can bring them information about anyone. "know all, see all" simply means they, as a whole, see all that goes on and, likewise, know all their hosts are doing. There's nothing in the rules which says they can't give out information about a given host to other demons. Quite a grapevine. The reason the rogue queen didn't know about the head stab beforehand is because the other demons made a concerted effort to keep her in the dark so she would be eventually caught and stopped. Finally, Tina and Connie are very special cases and not really exemplary of demons in general.

And, while stopping someone's heart is against the law, that doesn't mean they won't do it. Again, the rogue queen and her followers didn't care about the law. There may be many others who would take a chance as well. This despite the example of the punishment dealt to the rogue queen & co. Who knows, this may happen all the time and is written off as a heart attack by both us and the Apos. It may be hard to trace to a demon action unless other demons will give up the killer. The threat of punishment and laws proscribing the punishment for breaking them are a small deterrent if the perpetrator thinks, or at least hopes, she won't get caught.
DANGEROUSLY UNDER-MEDICATED
If we are what we eat, then I'm easy, fast, and cheap