Wrath 2013-06-11

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
jwhouk

Re: Wrath 2013-06-11

Post by jwhouk »

The Demon situation is not only plausible, I think Pablo even foreshadowed it.

And it would also indicate how the Library got involved.

Phix said, way back when, to Tina that "There's someone else going through a similar situation as you."

The rats are driving the Good Ship Brandilyn - but not all the time.

And Phix was aware of it all this time.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
Julie

Post by Julie »

Angrey Bud is angry...and incredibly badass looking!! :D She is still my favorite!! :D
scantrontb wrote:now i guess the question becomes: Does SDO know that Bud was there in the first place? or as some theorize, that she was willing to let Katherine die just to "make sure" that the last of the Anasazi are removed from existence... and i'll bet that she was expecting Lily to be there as well in the guise of helping Kat do her mission...
She knew Lily wasn't there. She met up with Kat before the dynamic duo went to Mapimi and started the meltdown, so she knew that Lily had been left behind...and she mentioned that she was meeting up with Lily and team at Mesa Verde, so I doubt she would have expected Lily to go to Mapimi. I'm torn about whether or not she knew Bud was there. I'm kind of feeling she did...and that was her plan to give Kat and Atsali a chance at not dying...which was a shitty plan, but hopefully it worked.
"Just open your eyes
And see that life is beautiful."
dex drako

Post by dex drako »

Timotheus wrote:As an alternate scenario, if they didn't make it into the Bud shelter, we may see the first example of the Jaguar Girl taking a trip across the barrier to the land of the dead to reclaim two souls that died too soon. Possibly enlisting the aid of her Grandpa while there and maybe meeting up with Tina 1.0. It would certainly open up a broad area of story concepts.

I thought about that too but it will likely come into play later.

and has anyone else noticed bud is the only even halfway sane GG in the mix here?
kingklash

Post by kingklash »

I have read enough Hulk comics (during the Peter David Grey Hulk run as well) to know that these three panels are not a harbinger of fluffy kitties, baby bunnies, and general good times. Someone is hankering for a spankering, and just how big a hurt will depend on Kat and 'Sali's condition.
DilyV

Post by DilyV »

kingklash wrote:I have read enough Hulk comics (during the Peter David Grey Hulk run as well) to know that these three panels are not a harbinger of fluffy kitties, baby bunnies, and general good times. Someone is hankering for a spankering, and just how big a hurt will depend on Kat and 'Sali's condition.
I don't know what would enrage Acacia more... That Brandi's plan put Kath and a youngster in danger and SDO had used her as a fail safe in a panic (hence the mid poit diversion), or that the plan wound up killing Kath and the youngster despite diverting Acacia there to save them... After all, she was as confused at showing up there as Kath and Atsali were... and just as clueless as to why. All that rage might be because SDO chose someone she knew and was close to Monica to perform this little clean up exercise and tie up the loose Ethetian ends... Piss poor planning on SDO's part if you ask me... It would be akin to having your car delivered to the shop to be fixed without telling the shop to expect it or detailing what was to be fixed.

I hereby nominate Let the Bodies Hit the Floor as the music for the upcoming fight scene... Bud won't emerge unscathed... but I think SDO will get the message loud and clear when Bud dot's her eye...

Brandi/SDO should have learned one glaring fact if she's been dealing with the Military... The old Military adage that NO plan survives first contact... After that, Murphy takes over...
You know that light at the end of the tunnel?

Yeah... it's a bullet. Sorry.
NOTDilbert

Post by NOTDilbert »

Now that several of the players seem to know there's more than one person driving Brandi's brain, makes me wonder why no-one has called in history's greatest, and only living, golem mechanic to try to fix her.

Anyone have Mayahuel's number on speed-dial? Possibly Phix or Tsillah may have already made the call off-camera. Perhaps Maya can shut down that half of Brandi (if nothing else).
"Imagination is more important than Knowledge" - Albert Einstein
"History doesn't repeat itself, but it DOES rhyme" - Mark Twain
"Always. Expect. Ninjas." - Syndey Scoville
sheik

Post by sheik »

A lot has been said here about how SDO has made too great a risk with innocent lives.
I think even that may be deliberate.
What if this is part of SDO's plan to break her contract with the demons by getting Monica involved?
Dave

Post by Dave »

WHAT IS YOUR NAME?

Katherine Gilchrist.

WHAT IS YOUR QUEST?

To seek adventure, the kachinas... and myself.

WHAT IS THE TERMINAL VELOCITY OF AN UNLADEN GOLEM?

Uh... is that an MPD golem, or a uniboob golem?

I DON'T KNOW THA(FOOM)AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA(THUD)

You need to know these things when you're Anasazi.
KnightDelight

Post by KnightDelight »

sheik wrote:A lot has been said here about how SDO has made too great a risk with innocent lives.
What if this is part of SDO's plan to break her contract with the demons by getting Monica involved?
I don't know. You don't double cross demons. They know all, and see all and can kill a human in a heartbeat (literally).

What I don't get is how many chances she is taking with Kath. She seems to have based all her best plans on Kath. Her death would be really bad to a proper outcome. Unless, of course, her death will trigger some sort of transformation and SDO has been trying to get her killed all along. It would be interesting to see Kath burst forth from the former chamber, with Atsali in tow. I'm also not sure SDO wants Atsali alive, however, since she now contains a lot of information that could be considered a security risk to SDO's plans.

BTW, the comics from this point; http://wapsisquare.com/comic/under-pressure/ on (for a few weeks) are worth a second look at this point. They touch on a number of points being acted out now.
DANGEROUSLY UNDER-MEDICATED
If we are what we eat, then I'm easy, fast, and cheap
as363

Post by as363 »

I'd mentioned John Wayne earlier today - but after reading the additional entries - I think the one needed would be Wonder Woman - with her golden (tell the truth) Lasso .
Dave

Post by Dave »

KnightDelight wrote:
sheik wrote:A lot has been said here about how SDO has made too great a risk with innocent lives.
I don't know. You don't double cross demons. They know all, and see all and can kill a human in a heartbeat (literally).
I'm not sure that's all entirely true. Yes, they exist "outside of time", but while interacting with humans they do seem to have time-bound constraints.

Jin's Demon Queen was taken quite by surprise when Shelly brainstabbed Monica, turned Monica into a vacuum suction gate, and sucked the Queen and the Calendar Machine into the Demon Dimension... the Queen definitely didn't see this coming.

Neither Conscience (soul-fused coven) nor Tina (free-range covey, evolving into a coven) "know all, see all".

So, despite their "eternal" nature and their powers I don't think demons are either omniscient or all-powerful by any means.

And, my impression is that taking direct action to kill a human is on the "forbidden by the sphinxes" list for demons, and would get the demon in question shredded into nothingness the next time a sphinx chose to take action. Tina was able to threaten Shelly with heart-stoppage only because Shelly is no longer "human" according to the sphinx rules - as a human/sphinx hybrid she's not protected by sphinx law, and she's not sphinx enough (or well-trained enough?) to defend herself against demonic compulsion directly.

Brandi isn't particularly vulnerable to heart stoppage, either. As a golem, she (and the other GGs) may even be completely immune to the demonic suggestion-compulsion to which humans are vulnerable. I don't think we've been shown that anything other than proper Glyph-speech can compel a golem.
Egwenna

Post by Egwenna »

hmm... the Spider was protecting the baby, which we know/suspect is Katherine.

Is it possible that something to do with who/what the spider represents is responsible for redirecting Bud? Because that Poit was a Vorp and unlike anything we've ever seen. Just like the crystal appeared to block the other survivor from following. There may be other higher powers influencing events and SDO may not be holding all the cards she thinks she is.

Bud looks ready to correct any misunderstandings and reset the bounds of proper conduct.
Grantwhy

Post by Grantwhy »

kingklash wrote:I have read enough Hulk comics (during the Peter David Grey Hulk run as well) to know that these three panels are not a harbinger of fluffy kitties, baby bunnies, and general good times.
Unfortunately I have *not* read enough She-Hulk comics, so I have no idea what usually happens when She-Hulk loses her costume before the fight has even started.

:shock:

ps: anyone else curious at to what (or who?) Katherine was staring at in the last two panels before everything went KA-BOOM! ?

I'm guessing it has something to do with Brandi/SDO in a way that identifies her(them?) as being responsible for the trap.
As a CareBearAnarchist I believe in the destruction and overthrow of the perils of society through random and senseless acts of consideration and kindness
Growing older is compulsory, growing up is optional
Dumb things happen to smart phones
dex drako

Post by dex drako »

Grantwhy wrote:
ps: anyone else curious at to what (or who?) Katherine was staring at in the last two panels before everything went KA-BOOM! ?

I'm guessing it has something to do with Brandi/SDO in a way that identifies her(them?) as being responsible for the trap.
I was going with katherine being in shock, it seems like she had no clue she was adopted let alone somekind of "man" made chimera of unrelated children from a long dead ancient culture. I can only imagin that doing a number on your view of yourself and the world around you.
Last edited by dex drako on Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Grantwhy wrote:ps: anyone else curious at to what (or who?) Katherine was staring at in the last two panels before everything went KA-BOOM! ?

I'm not sure that she was staring at anything which was actually present. She'd just received some rather stunning personal news (she's not only Anasazi, she is six Anasazi orphans rolled into one) and she looks a bit flummoxed in the first frame. She's standing in the same basic attitude in the last two frames... chin slightly raised, staring over Atsali's shoulder.

I get the feeling that she's "looking at nothing" - that she's gobsmacked by what Atsali just told her, and is staring blankly off into space in shock.

Of course, she could have just seen the family portrait mounted on the other side of the room and realized how very much she resembles old Auntie Aelfreda, but I don't think so.
Hansontoons

Post by Hansontoons »

Ok. Now if the ladies will not stir any snit at Mesa Verde for at least another day, I would appreciate it. I'm currently sitting on a deck in Cortez in view of said mesa. And am planning to visit the park tomorrow. I've been previously, the petroglyph trail is my favorite. Just the same, I'll keep an eye to the sky and the other for a safe hidey-hole just in case!
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

Grantwhy wrote:
kingklash wrote:I have read enough Hulk comics (during the Peter David Grey Hulk run as well) to know that these three panels are not a harbinger of fluffy kitties, baby bunnies, and general good times.
Unfortunately I have *not* read enough She-Hulk comics, so I have no idea what usually happens when She-Hulk loses her costume before the fight has even started.
Mostly - in the best (John Byrne) years, she makes some remark about how the Comics Code Authority is gonna react and dashes off-panel to find something for coverage.

The infamous jump-rope issue began with a cover showing her using a giant CCA seal as a modesty-preserver. (Byrne's She-Hulk was 100% aware of the fourth wall, as were other characters in the stories. Some of whom were Byrne and the editor...)

(Jennifer's line in the next panel was "Oh, great. Now we're gonna be sued for false advertising..."
Not even duct tape can fix stupid. But it can muffle the noise.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
My2Cents

Post by My2Cents »

KnightDelight wrote:I don't know. You don't double cross demons. They know all, and see all and can kill a human in a heartbeat (literally).
Actualy they are forbidden to do that. They can do it, but then the sphynx's show up.
http://wapsisquare.com/comic/stop-you/
http://wapsisquare.com/comic/took-the-phone/
While misery loves company, chaos brings along friends.
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

My2Cents wrote:
KnightDelight wrote:I don't know. You don't double cross demons. They know all, and see all and can kill a human in a heartbeat (literally).
Actualy they are forbidden to do that. They can do it, but then the sphynx's show up.
But you're still just as dead...
Not even duct tape can fix stupid. But it can muffle the noise.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
Julie

Post by Julie »

Fairportfan wrote:
My2Cents wrote:
But you're still just as dead...
It's a good thing that Brandi and all of the people she cares about are immortal for all intents and purposes (except Jin now). :P
"Just open your eyes
And see that life is beautiful."