No Poit For You 2013-06-07

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
NOTDilbert

Re: No Poit For You 2013-06-07

Post by NOTDilbert »

Julie wrote:Well damn...

I hope KnightDelight is right about Bud's body storage...

And for the "that's an explosion, not a meltdown" crowd...would a meltdown that hit a volcanic pocket (or whatever kind of geological feature that involves potential volcanic activity) create a volcanic explosion? Because if it would, then we have our answer as to why there's a kablooey instead of just a growing hole in the ground. :)

Aaand I really need to work on my attention to detail in this comic. I didn't even notice those criss-crossing vapor-trails in the foreground until after reading everyone's comments about them. :oops: Maybe Paul left them in there because "nuclear test site" was something SDO planned in the event someone accessed and downloaded the Etheitians. She had to have some sort of cover planned since she's the director of the organization that helps keep all of this supernatural stuff hush-hush. She'd be a very poor Chess Master and Director if she didn't prepare for that possibility.
Well, first thing the meltdown's gonna hit on it's way down, even in the desert, is the water table. The geology of the natural nuclear reactor kinda precludes the near-surface water table, but 'fossil water' - either fresh or salt - is also down there trapped in sedimentary rock. This gives you a steam explosion, and somewhat disperses the radioactive molten glass, but it also fractures the bedrock and if it's near a magma plume, the two will find each other....
"Imagination is more important than Knowledge" - Albert Einstein
"History doesn't repeat itself, but it DOES rhyme" - Mark Twain
"Always. Expect. Ninjas." - Syndey Scoville
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

Atomic wrote:
Yamara wrote:Don't know where, don't know when.
Here.
No - here.

(Horrible Sixties fake stereo. Somehow this version/arrangement seems more appropriate for Wapsi. Apparently they recorded it after Kaylan and Volman (Flo and Eddie) saw Dr Strangelove...)

================

Just checked - the version on the copy of the album i have is the same way.
Not even duct tape can fix stupid. But it can muffle the noise.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
My2Cents

Post by My2Cents »

NOTDilbert wrote:Well, first thing the meltdown's gonna hit on it's way down, even in the desert, is the water table. The geology of the natural nuclear reactor kinda precludes the near-surface water table, but 'fossil water' - either fresh or salt - is also down there trapped in sedimentary rock. This gives you a steam explosion, and somewhat disperses the radioactive molten glass, but it also fractures the bedrock and if it's near a magma plume, the two will find each other....
Actually a shallow water table is essential to making a natural nuclear reactor operate. The water functions as a moderator to thermalize the neutrons so the reaction can proceed. Without the water (or some other moderator) the reactor would have to become prompt critical (operating on prompt, i.e. fast, neutrons instead of slow neutrons), which requires a much higher enrichment than can exist naturally. Also, if it were prompt critical it could produce a runaway detonate, that is the process in a nuclear bomb.
While misery loves company, chaos brings along friends.
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

Fairportfan wrote:
Atomic wrote:
Yamara wrote:Don't know where, don't know when.
Here.
No - here.

(Horrible Sixties fake stereo. Somehow this version/arrangement seems more appropriate for Wapsi. Apparently they recorded it after Kaylan and Volman (Flo and Eddie) saw Dr Strangelove...)

================

Just checked - the version on the copy of the album i have is the same way.
Every hit record needs a kazoo solo! Get yours today!
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
MerchManDan

Post by MerchManDan »

Grantwhy wrote:Panels two and three, Katherine is looking at something.

I suspect it's their escape.
Huh, she does seem rather distracted, considering the circumstances. I'm sure the old saying doesn't apply: "If you can keep your head while everyone around you is losing theirs, you may not understand the situation."
"Give orange me give eat orange me eat orange give me eat orange give me you." - Nim the chimp
Animation courtesy of shadowinthelight (thanks again!)
BlueMark

Post by BlueMark »

Ohnhai wrote:WARNING: edumacation incoming.....

[edumacation]

An aside re the bomb blast...

The ref Paul used must have been from a early test... Because those criss-cross lines to the right are actually rockets (designed to leave trails) shot up at set distances so (like so many mythbuster experiments) you have a handy scale to judge how big the resultant explosion is in the actual footage/images so you don't have to guess.

[/edumacation]
Ahhh, but in this case those are just contrails left by the radioactive souls of the damned descending from the fireball into Hell.
Grantwhy

Post by Grantwhy »

MerchManDan wrote:

Huh, she does seem rather distracted, considering the circumstances. I'm sure the old saying doesn't apply: "If you can keep your head while everyone around you is losing theirs, you may not understand the situation."
I'd say focused on something instead of distracted but either way Katherine doesn't seem to be listening^ to conversation around her.

^ which is surprisingly different to not listening.
As a CareBearAnarchist I believe in the destruction and overthrow of the perils of society through random and senseless acts of consideration and kindness
Growing older is compulsory, growing up is optional
Dumb things happen to smart phones
kingklash

Post by kingklash »

MerchManDan wrote:

Or check your messages.

Either Kat has found another Spider Hole to save them, or it just occured to her to ask Atsali's new Brain-puter if there's a safe room for just such an occasion.
Yamara

Post by Yamara »

Julie wrote:Well damn...

I hope KnightDelight is right about Bud's body storage...
Bud is bigger on the inside than she is on the outside.

Timotheus wrote:(but we'll meet again...)
some Sunny day
some Sunny day
image.jpg (31.28 KiB) Viewed 8629 times
PunPalsm the fastest way to pay the pun jar

Do Not Taunt Happy Fun Baal.
DilyV

Post by DilyV »

The sad part is that Kath isn't the only one glowing... Shelly had her own run in with radioactivity... I distinctly remember Monica and Shelly telling each other they were glowing... of course that was after some really intense bedroom action... but we won't mention that...

http://wapsisquare.com/comic/glowing/
You know that light at the end of the tunnel?

Yeah... it's a bullet. Sorry.
sheik

Post by sheik »

I suppose the issue here between meltdown vs explosion boils down to containment.
If the total energy of the meltdown is confined to a small volume, the material within will surely heat to incandescence before it's able to break out to the surface.
This makes the explosion portrayed technically a "fizzle" in nuclear bomb terms but still mighty impressive.
Paul used one of the "Teapot" nuclear shots, this one a subsurface burst that breaks out of the ground, but it is still a fair representation of what would happen even if the reaction remains only "critical" like a nuclear reactor while confined over time rather than "supercritical" like a true bomb.
Naturally the containment would not only be the surrounding rock, but whatever it is that is shielding the space they are in from the Library.
eee

Post by eee »

MerchManDan wrote:

She's just found out she's a combination of six ancient Anasazi babies AND the last living (emphasis on the latter) member of that civilization. It is possible her brain is stuck in 'What?' mode even as the world melts around her...
DilyV

Post by DilyV »

I was reading past strips today and ran across this... Brandi is definitely aware of SDO... but thinks it best that she, brandi, stays oblivious to SDO's machinations...

http://wapsisquare.com/comic/empty-space/
You know that light at the end of the tunnel?

Yeah... it's a bullet. Sorry.
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

Interesting.

SDO comes from that day.

But Brandi's deal with the demons came much later. After she was a golem.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
Dragon Hostler

Post by Dragon Hostler »

Glad I don't have to mention the rocket trails.
Does make the art dramatic. Looks great!

I like the Acacia belly hatch theory.
I already think Acacia is "HOT".
A major nuetron flux would probably give her quite a rush. "Whoo-hooo! Who needs Mezcal!!!!"

Easy to imagine that as the complex disentegrates the anti-poit disables.
Equally viable are Atsali or Kat finding the ability to facilitate a fast exit, possibly ending up between some undead Lillywhites.

ALL of Brandi's activities are post golem. Before the Lanthian "priests" took her, she was a daycare worker.
Born Again Heathen
Hostling dragons is similar to hostling horses, but ya need a bigger shovel, oh, and bigger nose plugs. Don't forget the nose plugs!
XMinusOne

Post by XMinusOne »

No worries, folks. I'm guessin' Atsali with her newfound knowledge whipped up a force bubble encapsulating them and they rode the blast out without mussing their hair. They may wind up on the roof of Caesar's Palace in Vegas, but they'll be alive. ;)
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

Dragon Hostler wrote:ALL of Brandi's activities are post golem. Before the Lanthian "priests" took her, she was a daycare worker.
Sort of. SDO originates from before (just before, granted) her golemisation ...

"They had no idea what they created that day, who I'd strike a deal with."

...but the deal with the demons comes from way after:

"The demon world noticed, I was under Tepoz's care, I made a deal. To help."

That was a lot later.
=====================
=====================
mike weber
Timotheus

Post by Timotheus »

Bud: "How the hell did you know about th..."

It may just be me, but it seems like lately a large percentage of the normal cast has been revealing a steady stream of previously undisplayed knowledge concerning the other cast members past histories and/or displaying skills and abilities not previously hinted at. There's also been a number of scenes and events that just don't seem to fit together right.

I'm becoming suspicious that we're being "Gaslighted" in some way, and that some of what we (and the real characters involved in it) have been shown are actually shadow illusions, made up events and locations to mislead and confuse certain individuals into revealing what they know or suspect and tell others facts they were not aware of. Referencing back to the Shadow Mistress/Lily Tomlin Impersonator's sketch. When you (and your sister, remember coyote)) can make anywhere look like anywhere and anything look like anything and appear like anyone) you can do a lot of mind messing. (And Dr. Gilchrist didn't necessarily need to have left the library to have experienced all of this.)
If I Knew What I Was Doing I'd Be Dangerous.
Nov shmoz ka pop?