No Poit For You 2013-06-07

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
Ohnhai

Re: No Poit For You 2013-06-07

Post by Ohnhai »

WARNING: edumacation incoming.....

[edumacation]

An aside re the bomb blast...

The ref Paul used must have been from a early test... Because those criss-cross lines to the right are actually rockets (designed to leave trails) shot up at set distances so (like so many mythbuster experiments) you have a handy scale to judge how big the resultant explosion is in the actual footage/images so you don't have to guess.

[/edumacation]
My2Cents

Post by My2Cents »

Sidhekin wrote:
KnightDelight wrote:Not to worry. I'm pretty sure the girls are tucked safely in Brandi's former bedroom ... ie: Inside Bud's midsection "compartment."
That would seem a practical way to resolve this.

... can you get induced radioactivity in golem clay? What would be the half-life of such induced radioactivity?

Bud may end up in a self-imposed quarantine. New story arc on Monday. 8-)
For the clay to become radioactive it would have to absorb neutrons, which would mean that it can be damaged. Given the GGs can literally survive earth shattering KA-BOOMs it is more likely that damage cannot be done to their bodies by such low power events (i.e. anything less than a supernova).

Think of the clay as just a matrix over which an extremely high powered energy form is layered. Unless the attack can overcome the energy form it can have no effect on the clay beneath.
While misery loves company, chaos brings along friends.
zachariah

Post by zachariah »

Monday:

Mucho Moca: Kathy, Sali, Monica, and Tina. Kathy and Sali sitting at a table with a pair of crutches next to Kathy whose foot is in a cast. Monica stands next to Tina at the counter.

Kathy: And that's how we met.
Monica: But how did you survive?
Kathy: The crystal core acted like a capsule and protected us as we were shot up into the air. Then the Sali hit a high note and the crystal shattered. Then she spread her wings and flew us to safety.
Monica: So you broke you foot then?
Sali: That was my fault. Where we were going to land the ash made me sneeze and I missed the landing. Looks very embarrassed.
Kathy: Anyway I figure the only way I was ever going to be really safe from Sali's enthusiasm is I needed to have some real authority. SO I adopted her for my own protection. BEsides we're both orphans anyway.
Sali: SQUEEEEEEEELLLLLLLLLLLL.
Kathy: OW!!!
Ambush questions are fun. Watching the mental impact of them as they distort, or crumble, opinions based on faulty logic.
Sidhekin

Post by Sidhekin »

Come on, they can absorb alcohol (and suffer "self-inflicted injuries"), why not neutrons?
perl -e 'print "Just another Perl ${\(trickster and hacker)},";'

The Sidhekin proves that Sidhe did it!
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

txmystic wrote:I think somebody will notice the large nuclear explosion at Mapini, and I shudder to think who might show up to investigate. So even if they survived the explosion somehow, they might have another bullet spraying incident to deal with...
Well, a shelter that protects you from a nuclear blast should certainly be able to shrug off a few bullets, mortar rounds, sixteen-inch shells...
Not even duct tape can fix stupid. But it can muffle the noise.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
Timotheus

Post by Timotheus »

My first. and most serious question is...

Why, when we are having an unplanned nuclear detonation in the middle of a desert caused by a typical Lanthian over engineered burglar alarm (couldn't just have an alarm bell or something that wipes the memory), an explosion that is no doubt causing Defcon One conditions to be enacted around the world, an explosion that was theoretically unplanned and unexpected, a total surprise to all concerned festival of fission...

... why are there a series of contrail rockets going up along side of it to measure the air pressure disturbance waves as they radiate around the blast site? These are something that were done back in the early days of nuclear testing to give the ground observers some way to measure the blast pressure waves as they emerged from ground zero at various heights. They were a common part of nuclear tests but were separate from the actual device and had nothing to do with the actual detonation.

Either this was set up as some sort of planned test site some time in the past(1970's?)(and has been kept up and maintained) or there's something really weird going on.

Also, there will be potassium Iodide tablets in the confusion corner for those interested. Please vacuum yourselves with the Hepa vacuum cleaners provided in the outer clean area and leave your shoes and jackets in the racks provided. Wash your face and hands in the inner clean area before entering. Disposable slippers are inside the door.
If I Knew What I Was Doing I'd Be Dangerous.
Nov shmoz ka pop?
Sidhekin

Post by Sidhekin »

Fairportfan wrote:
txmystic wrote:I think somebody will notice the large nuclear explosion at Mapini, and I shudder to think who might show up to investigate. So even if they survived the explosion somehow, they might have another bullet spraying incident to deal with...
Well, a shelter that protects you from a nuclear blast should certainly be able to shrug off a few bullets, mortar rounds, sixteen-inch shells...
Kinda academic, but I doubt the poit-preventing complex will make it through the nuclear blast. They'll be gone before anyone relying on bullets has a chance to show up.
perl -e 'print "Just another Perl ${\(trickster and hacker)},";'

The Sidhekin proves that Sidhe did it!
BlueMark

Post by BlueMark »

Oh crap, did George RR Martin write today's episode?
Leak

Post by Leak »

BlueMark wrote:Oh crap, did George RR Martin write today's episode?
Judging by the size of the boom it must've been Michael Bay...
RunningBull

Post by RunningBull »

It almost seems like a trap that Brandi set up to put Bud out of commission. What was it she said?
Brandi wrote: Bia may have heard the prophecy, but she is directing her energy in the wrong direction! All towards an immortal heir, and not a mortal descendant!
We will have to wait and see. Darn, another weekend.
"You're not going crazy! You're going sane in a crazy world!"
- The Tick
as363

Post by as363 »

And in late-breaking financial news - the Pun Vault Company of Minnesota reports an all-time record 2nd quarter profit that jumps it into first place in the S & P Ratings. The chairman - Mr. P. Taylor declined our reporters' request for an interview as he had a plane leaving for Monte Carlo.

(:>))
eee

Post by eee »

The 'BOOM' could be Bud punching her way out of the complex. The upper limit on her strength is REALLY high, and if she decided to get out she could probably hit the ceiling of the complex with enough force to send it outward at faster than the speed of sound. Just as she was able to hurl the crumpled up Calendar Machine into the Sun.

Of course, that would spread all the radioactive stuff the meltdown was creating up into the air as well. :shock:
Sidhekin wrote:Come on, they can absorb alcohol (and suffer "self-inflicted injuries"), why not neutrons?
Ah, but Maya put the 'react to alcohol' function into the Golem make-up so she could continue to enjoy Margaritas after she joined the clay set. I can't see her putting a 'glow in the dark' function in, especially since those with face lights and glowing eyes wouldn't need the light.

Also, the Chimera laid waste a whole continent, apparently in a matter of minutes, something the most powerful nuke couldn't do; and apparently suffered no ill. It is hard to imagine a simple meltdown could have a greater effect than that.
Wdot

Post by Wdot »

jwhouk wrote:Boom.
When you said that, I thought of this:
BigBadaBoom.jpg
BigBadaBoom.jpg (60.29 KiB) Viewed 8696 times
KnightDelight I think you're correct on your supposition.

Bud's going to be AOK and if she's blown up one more time, it can be a running gag! :lol: And I kinda hope it will be.
Make the wrong things difficult, and the right things easy. Notice the smallest change and the slightest try and reward him.
----Ray Hunt
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

Rock falls, everybody dies.

Or Not! (wait until Monday and see!)

Yes, those are a smoke grid made from rocket trails launched just before the blast. Movies of the event show the effects of the blast wave moving through the grid. So, (lots of fluid flow fizzicks here) and you have a wonderful summer picnic party dessert! Serves 8.
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
Grantwhy

Post by Grantwhy »

nerf-dweller wrote:
Leak wrote:Well, that was poitless...
*Glances and gestures towards the Pun Jar*

And I was wrong about Paul not pulling off another stupendous Friday cliffhanger, Unless he does or does not throw us a curve ball, we'll find out if the GG's can survive a nuclear *KA*BLOWIE*. But I suspect's, that Paul's gonna throw us another curveball. My guess is Katherine, pulls a rabbit out of hat.
Panels two and three, Katherine is looking at something.

I suspect it's their escape.

My inner Evil Overlord on the other hand is hoping it is a digital timer with 118 seconds left on the timer
As a CareBearAnarchist I believe in the destruction and overthrow of the perils of society through random and senseless acts of consideration and kindness
Growing older is compulsory, growing up is optional
Dumb things happen to smart phones
Yamara

Post by Yamara »

Ohnhai wrote:The ref Paul used must have been from a early test... Because those criss-cross lines to the right are actually rockets (designed to leave trails) shot up at set distances so (like so many mythbuster experiments) you have a handy scale to judge how big the resultant explosion is in the actual footage/images so you don't have to guess.
Timotheus wrote:... why are there a series of contrail rockets going up along side of it to measure the air pressure disturbance waves as they radiate around the blast site? These are something that were done back in the early days of nuclear testing to give the ground observers some way to measure the blast pressure waves as they emerged from ground zero at various heights. They were a common part of nuclear tests but were separate from the actual device and had nothing to do with the actual detonation.

Either this was set up as some sort of planned test site some time in the past(1970's?)(and has been kept up and maintained) or there's something really weird going on.
Atomic wrote:Yes, those are a smoke grid made from rocket trails launched just before the blast. Movies of the event show the effects of the blast wave moving through the grid. So, (lots of fluid flow fizzicks here) and you have a wonderful summer picnic party dessert! Serves 8.

Well, obviously, they've been thrown back in time to Operation Teapot:
Don't know where, don't know when.
Don't know where, don't know when.
teapottest.jpg (28.15 KiB) Viewed 8693 times
Now they really can meet Indiana Jones! And say hi to Doc and Marty while you're there, ladies.
PunPalsm the fastest way to pay the pun jar

Do Not Taunt Happy Fun Baal.
Julie

Post by Julie »

Well damn...

I hope KnightDelight is right about Bud's body storage...

And for the "that's an explosion, not a meltdown" crowd...would a meltdown that hit a volcanic pocket (or whatever kind of geological feature that involves potential volcanic activity) create a volcanic explosion? Because if it would, then we have our answer as to why there's a kablooey instead of just a growing hole in the ground. :)

Aaand I really need to work on my attention to detail in this comic. I didn't even notice those criss-crossing vapor-trails in the foreground until after reading everyone's comments about them. :oops: Maybe Paul left them in there because "nuclear test site" was something SDO planned in the event someone accessed and downloaded the Etheitians. She had to have some sort of cover planned since she's the director of the organization that helps keep all of this supernatural stuff hush-hush. She'd be a very poor Chess Master and Director if she didn't prepare for that possibility.
"Just open your eyes
And see that life is beautiful."
analyst

Post by analyst »

zachariah wrote:Screen fades to black...Music plays softly....Screen fades up on steam and smoke in the air.
The shape of sphinxes slowly appear out of the clouds flying towards two forms lying on a rock above the lava flow.

Cut to credits.....
And thus, it ends, not with a whimper, but with a bang.
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

Yamara wrote:Don't know where, don't know when.
Here.
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
Timotheus

Post by Timotheus »

Wow, it even knocked the website off line.

(but we'll meet again someday.)
If I Knew What I Was Doing I'd Be Dangerous.
Nov shmoz ka pop?