Athena Missile Test 2013-06-06

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
Yamara

Re: Athena Missile Test 2013-06-06

Post by Yamara »

Dave wrote:
jwhouk wrote:
You meant Bud there, I think.
Nope... Brandi and Bia.

snip

Bia also seems to fall into this sort of "heedless of other peoples' reactions" behavior. The whole way she "spilled the beans" to Shelly about her heritage was amazingly insensitive, she acknowledged that people consider her "dysfunctional", and Nudge remarked that most people "write [Bia] off as a thoughtless, emotionless bitch." She seems to have all the sensitivity of a metal shredder. Perhaps, as the personification of Force, she's constitutionally unable to appreciate the feelings of those who are being forced by her actions?
This is what I get for taking half an hour to write a forum post. :roll:

I think Bia has been on a long odyssey from playing with mortals as dolls, getting a wake up call a la Karen Black via the Chimera, and trying to figure out her responsibilities toward them from a position where ethics simply never existed before.

She also seems to be going behind her boss' back. She has the 'nads for it, but she also has to know how and when to STFU.
PunPalsm the fastest way to pay the pun jar

Do Not Taunt Happy Fun Baal.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Who, exactly, is Bia's boss? Zeus?
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
Dave

Post by Dave »

jwhouk wrote:Who, exactly, is Bia's boss? Zeus?
Yes.

She was/is one of his chosen "enforcers", according to several writers about Greek mythology.

If I understand the situation correctly, there was quite a battle between the Titans, and the Gods... and Bia was one of the TItans who chose to fight on the side of the Gods and was rewarded for doing so by Zeus.
Hansontoons

Post by Hansontoons »

Fairportfan wrote:
as363 wrote:And this is only Thursday ???

I think I want to hunker in a bunker come Friday .
...and have a drink out of the chalice from the palace?
Be sure to choose the brew that is true!
DilyV

Post by DilyV »

jwhouk wrote:
Dave wrote:
DilyV wrote:Ahh Atsali... the Siren with absolutely no 'inner dialog'. Because it's all outer!!! If it breezes through that bird brain, it comes right out of her mouth!!
Seems to me that Atsali and Brandi might get along just fine. Brandi seems to have been reliably diagnosed as having at least a mild case of something like Asperger syndrome, and like Atsali she's somewhat prone to blurt things out without much sense whether they're appropriate.

Bia also seems to ramble without thinking. That's almost enough to form a club... although I'm not sure it'd be entirely safe to throw the three of them together for any length of time.
You meant Bud there, I think.
OMG the part of the story arc where bud was acting out for Officer friendly then Brandi crushes her right in front of him and shelly... that face when she calls Brandi out... Priceless!
You know that light at the end of the tunnel?

Yeah... it's a bullet. Sorry.
Dave

Post by Dave »

DilyV wrote:OMG the part of the story arc where bud was acting out for Officer friendly then Brandi crushes her right in front of him and shelly... that face when she calls Brandi out... Priceless!
Yeah... I had to feel really sorry for Bud there. Her joke really boomeranged. That whole sequence had to be horribly embarrassing for her... enough to make a golem blush! World-crusher that she may be, I get the sense that she's still really a shy and vulnerable 16-year-old at heart.

Her first deer-in-the-headlights look when Shelly and Justin arrive at her door, and Justin's quiet eyes-closed "Oh, dear God"... it still cracks me up!
DilyV

Post by DilyV »

Dave wrote:
DilyV wrote:OMG the part of the story arc where bud was acting out for Officer friendly then Brandi crushes her right in front of him and shelly... that face when she calls Brandi out... Priceless!
Yeah... I had to feel really sorry for Bud there. Her joke really boomeranged. That whole sequence had to be horribly embarrassing for her... enough to make a golem blush! World-crusher that she may be, I get the sense that she's still really a shy and vulnerable 16-year-old at heart.

Her first deer-in-the-headlights look when Shelly and Justin arrive at her door, and Justin's quiet eyes-closed "Oh, dear God"... it still cracks me up!
OMG... not to mention Mayahuel...

http://wapsisquare.com/comic/your-outlet/

Talk about your'outer' inner monolog!!!

Even Tina suffers from Foot in Mouth disease!!!

http://wapsisquare.com/comic/awwww-shucks/
Last edited by DilyV on Fri Jun 07, 2013 1:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dragon Hostler

Post by Dragon Hostler »

To paraphrase from Starstruck [on a bar napkin, not in my library];

Great though the barista be,
counting the voices aint the same as souls.
Katherine has five too many,
while Tina has hardly any.

My first thought was that Atsali 2.0 diverted Acacia, but while she has the eminent need, and probably the knowledge of how to do so now, she wouldn't have known the who and where, especially mid-poit.
The Bibliotheca has the situational awareness and the extant inbuilt transport capabilities. Still, being able to redirect someone, who isn't even using the Bibliotheca's own transport system, qualifies as impressive.
Born Again Heathen
Hostling dragons is similar to hostling horses, but ya need a bigger shovel, oh, and bigger nose plugs. Don't forget the nose plugs!
scantrontb

Post by scantrontb »

what i'm thinking is that SDO is unable to actually follow thru with her plan to destroy the knowledge of how to make golems primarily because as a Golem, who was a one-time PROTECTOR of the Ethitians, she can't disobey that programming even after all this time... but she COULD get somebody ELSE to do it... first she tried to take it out with the missle, but when that plan failed, then she went with plan B, namely the genetic descendant of the loony Anasazi, but was brought up as a modern world American, who would more than likely be horrified at the golem "programming" methods, and with the implied death and destruction that would be happening following the creation of an ARMY of them! think of what the world would have been like if the Nazi's had the Atomic Bomb? do you think they would have NOT used it?... Katherine knows the Library, knows Human Nature, and can add 1 plus 1 to get 2... Thus, Katherine would order the destruction of that data or do it herself, (whom The GG's would NOT be able to stop, as there is probably a loophole in the rules, such that she can tell Brandi to buzz off... and WILL be obeyed, because she's Anasazi herself and the rules probably don't cover Brandi from stopping Anasazi from killing EACH OTHER!, only to protect them from NON-Ethitian's...) but somehow The Library found out about this plan too and in fulfilling IT'S purpose to get a copy of ALL written data, it wants to get to the info inside the computers inside that complex but can't do it remotely due to the "silent zone" machinery... so it hooked Atsali up with Kat, in the hopes that it can use Atsali as a make-shift USB Thumb-drive to get the data OUT of there without triggering any kind of reprisals by the security programs in the Mapimi complex itself... i'll bet that if they Poit out of there, then the Library can intercept them and whisk Atsali away for the purpose of downloading all that info out of her brain... whether or not she'll be sane afterwards is yet to be seen, and i don't think the Library would be at all ashamed if she wasn't, as it fulfilled the task it set out to do, namely collect all the info it can from there before it's destroyed.... remember that whole "orphan = no problem" conversation with Lilly? i think that attitude was coming from the way the Library briefed her and Suzie...

as for the Golem recipe... once it's in the Library, i'm sure that it's fair game to ANYONE to read and use... it IS a Library after all... heck, i can go into any (larger, well stocked) library right now and if i dig hard enough, and long enough, i can find all the information i need to design and build an atomic bomb... but it won't be all neatly compiled and wrapped up with a pretty bow saying "here's the instructions!!"... each piece of it will be simply one tiny piece scattered all over the place, just like the Golem recipe is now... and because the Ethitians were known to have the true and complete recipe, therefore the library would have it too... but with them all "blended" as they are, it will take a lot to find that info, but HA!... Do you remember how efficient the Library ANNEX was when Monica asked for info about Vimana's... yep, it will be THAT easy for anyone to get the info on Chimera's too... they'll just need to walk in and ASK for it! the Library doesn't care about what you're going to DO with the info, it's just going to provide it to you...
Don't planto mihi adveho illac
DilyV

Post by DilyV »

It would seem that Bud is at least sub-consciously aware of Senior Director Oduya...

http://wapsisquare.com/comic/own-strengths/

Whoa...

Wyvern

Post by Wyvern »

DilyV wrote:It would seem that Bud is at least sub-consciously aware of Senior Director Oduya...

http://wapsisquare.com/comic/own-strengths/

Whoa...
Yay for the real-world intersection of Lake & Hennepin, and the detail that while Shelly is feeling the cold Bud isn't.
You should be reading the Wapsi Square Wiki.
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

Every time i look at that page it looks as if Bud is scampering 'round in the snowstorm in her panties...
Not even duct tape can fix stupid. But it can muffle the noise.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
Timotheus

Post by Timotheus »

The library is only interested in written material. It has no media section, including digital information. Therefore, if the information on how to make a golem is only available in digital form, the library has no interest in it. If there is a written version of it, the library already has a copy. If someone prints it out and binds it, then the library gets it.

As far as information retrieval is concerned the library is not involved in actively seeking it out, it only collects books (and other printed materials of a information storage nature) and catalogs them for use by authorized users.
If I Knew What I Was Doing I'd Be Dangerous.
Nov shmoz ka pop?
MerchManDan

Post by MerchManDan »

Timotheus wrote:The library is only interested in written material. It has no media section, including digital information. Therefore, if the information on how to make a golem is only available in digital form, the library has no interest in it. If there is a written version of it, the library already has a copy. If someone prints it out and binds it, then the library gets it.

As far as information retrieval is concerned the library is not involved in actively seeking it out, it only collects books (and other printed materials of a information storage nature) and catalogs them for use by authorized users.
Except - as pointed out earlier - the Library IS actively seeking information.
"Give orange me give eat orange me eat orange give me eat orange give me you." - Nim the chimp
Animation courtesy of shadowinthelight (thanks again!)
Opus the Poet

Post by Opus the Poet »

Dave wrote:
nerf-dweller wrote:I think I may have to sue for whiplash. This plot is throwing my train of thought 180 degrees from where I thought it was going.
Your suit would be thrown out of court. Read the "hold harmless for bootlegger plot turns" section of the "Terms of Use" agreement you accepted when you joined the forum. It's right after the sanity clause.
There is no such person as Sanity Clause. :ugeek:
I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
Grantwhy

Post by Grantwhy »

Opus the Poet wrote:
Dave wrote:
nerf-dweller wrote:I think I may have to sue for whiplash. This plot is throwing my train of thought 180 degrees from where I thought it was going.
Your suit would be thrown out of court. Read the "hold harmless for bootlegger plot turns" section of the "Terms of Use" agreement you accepted when you joined the forum. It's right after the sanity clause.
There is no such person as Sanity Clause. :ugeek:
:shock:

we've got a 4096325- 096704 here people!

Puts a bunch of scallions in the pun jar (just in case)
As a CareBearAnarchist I believe in the destruction and overthrow of the perils of society through random and senseless acts of consideration and kindness
Growing older is compulsory, growing up is optional
Dumb things happen to smart phones
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

Music industry joke:

In the middle of a field is a pot of gold.

One hundreds north is Santa Claus. One hundred yards south is the Easter Bunny.

One hundred yards west is an honest, reliable manager. One hundred yards east is your manager.

Q: Which one gets the gold?

A" Your manager - the other three are all mythical.
Not even duct tape can fix stupid. But it can muffle the noise.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
Wyvern

Post by Wyvern »

Timotheus wrote:The library is only interested in written material. It has no media section, including digital information. Therefore, if the information on how to make a golem is only available in digital form, the library has no interest in it. If there is a written version of it, the library already has a copy. If someone prints it out and binds it, then the library gets it.
Golem command code is written in Glyph, although it's hard to get access from outside. On the other hand, help files are very different from executable code.
You should be reading the Wapsi Square Wiki.