Yaxchilan Detour 2013-06-05

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
shadowinthelight

Re: Yaxchilan Detour 2013-06-05

Post by shadowinthelight »

NOTDilbert wrote:then Mapimi is no longer silent, no?
Nuclear powered booms do have a tendency to break silences.

Also, art mistake in the last panel? It looks like the background is covering part of Bud's(?) back.
Julie, about Wapsi Square wrote:Oh goodness yes. So much paranormal!

Image My deviantART and YouTube.
I'm done thinking for today! It's caused me enough trouble!
KnightDelight

Post by KnightDelight »

I don't think anything's covering her back, she's just very thin.

Some research in 2009 pegged the number of neurons in the human brain at around 86 Bn. Unless the brain of a 15 yo Siren has quite a few more, I find it hard to believe the entire computer could reside in her brain. 86GB is not all that much even today. Plus she still has to have enough left over to function. In any event I doubt all the knowledge that computer had could fit in her head. Maybe it's just the essence without all the main memory array(s). That or she can now access memory stores not actually located in that complex.
Last edited by KnightDelight on Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
DANGEROUSLY UNDER-MEDICATED
If we are what we eat, then I'm easy, fast, and cheap
shadowinthelight

Post by shadowinthelight »

KnightDelight wrote:Plus she still has to have enough left over to function. In any event I doubt all the knowledge that computer had could fit in her head. Maybe it's just the essence without all the main memory array(s).
Or the Etheitians had really good data compression techniques. :geek:
Julie, about Wapsi Square wrote:Oh goodness yes. So much paranormal!

Image My deviantART and YouTube.
I'm done thinking for today! It's caused me enough trouble!
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Had to go back and look - that is, indeed, Bud.

What's she's wearing is another story, though. Did Brandi catch her as she was planning on heading over to Club Cerberus?
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
Sidhekin

Post by Sidhekin »

KnightDelight wrote:Some research in 2009 pegged the number of neurons in the human brain at around 86 Bn. Unless the brain of a 15 yo Siren has quite a few more, I find it hard to believe the entire computer could reside in her brain. 86GB is not all that much even today. Plus she still has to have enough left over to function. In any event I doubt all the knowledge that computer had could fit in her head. Maybe it's just the essence without all the main memory array(s). That or she can now access memory stores not actually located in that complex.
But a neuron is not a byte. What's the average number of synapses per neuron, anyway?

But physically rewiring the synapses? Nah, that would be a first in all possession fiction I've encountered. The actual memory will be residing in her "energy", or something.
perl -e 'print "Just another Perl ${\(trickster and hacker)},";'

The Sidhekin proves that Sidhe did it!
KnightDelight

Post by KnightDelight »

shadowinthelight wrote:
KnightDelight wrote:Plus she still has to have enough left over to function. In any event I doubt all the knowledge that computer had could fit in her head. Maybe it's just the essence without all the main memory array(s).
Actually, that's not as far out as it may sound. We are experimenting with storage cells capable of holding more than 2 states. So, it's possible they found a way to store a trillion states per cell. And, somehow, get brain cells to do the same when the computer is downloaded to an individual. Access time may be a pain though. Especially in a chemically oriented computer. Ah, who knows. I probably shouldn't sweat these details and just call it magic.
DANGEROUSLY UNDER-MEDICATED
If we are what we eat, then I'm easy, fast, and cheap
zachariah

Post by zachariah »

I just had a scary thought. This started like an Indy Jones movie and the story has followed the type of plot for one. We are getting to the climax where the volcano blows, or tidal waves hits, or the Ark turns everyone to salt. So once it ends and the credits roll will we still be in the Wapsi world? Or will we walk out of the theater back into the world as it was before the movie? I am not sure which one I would prefer. As it is this story has had a significant impart on the Waspi history and background and put a huge body count into confusion corner. I guess we'll find out eventually.
Ambush questions are fun. Watching the mental impact of them as they distort, or crumble, opinions based on faulty logic.
Timotheus

Post by Timotheus »

It ends with Shelly opening the shower curtain to find Justin showering and he flashes her a smile while she says, "Oh, I dreamed you were dead."
If I Knew What I Was Doing I'd Be Dangerous.
Nov shmoz ka pop?
txmystic

Post by txmystic »

davids4250 wrote:Bud can POIT. That was a BVVVVVVVVVorp! Totally different modes of transport.
Yes. Is this the transport that Brandi initiated while the volcanoes were erupting?
MerchManDan

Post by MerchManDan »

I have a hunch that when our heroines finally arrive at Mesa Verde, SD Oduya will be most interested in the new contents of Atsali's head - and she may have some way of retrieving it. :?
txmystic wrote:
davids4250 wrote:Bud can POIT. That was a BVVVVVVVVVorp! Totally different modes of transport.
Yes. Is this the transport that Brandi initiated while the volcanoes were erupting?
I doubt it, since Brandi - rather, Ms. Oduya - placed Bud in cold storage just before the volcanoes began to erupt, over 6,000 years ago. Also, that was a *thip*, which is something else again. ;)
"Give orange me give eat orange me eat orange give me eat orange give me you." - Nim the chimp
Animation courtesy of shadowinthelight (thanks again!)
as363

Post by as363 »

Honistly Oshifer - I'm not as stoned as some thinkle peep I am......
Julie

Post by Julie »

Is it just me, or was that not a poit? (haven't read all of the comments yet...wanted to post that thought first...will come back and say more after catching up on my reading :P)
"Just open your eyes
And see that life is beautiful."
illiad

Post by illiad »

KnightDelight wrote:
shadowinthelight wrote:
Actually, that's not as far out as it may sound. We are experimenting with storage cells capable of holding more than 2 states. So, it's possible they found a way to store a trillion states per cell. And, somehow, get brain cells to do the same when the computer is downloaded to an individual. Access time may be a pain though. Especially in a chemically oriented computer. Ah, who knows. I probably shouldn't sweat these details and just call it magic.
- and just saying 'neurons' is an oversimplification..there are chemical, and other more complex things going on.. If it was that simple, we would be able to record it by now... :D :D

PS: I KNOW there will be other posts... If we had a 'tree' structure like before, it would be simpler!! and no I hate facebook...
illiad

Post by illiad »

MerchManDan wrote: I doubt it, since Brandi - rather, Ms. Oduya - placed Bud in cold storage just before the volcanoes began to erupt, over 6,000 years ago. Also, that was a *thip*, which is something else again. ;)
well that looks more like a 'construct' or 'assistant' than Bud, it just looks alike???
analyst

Post by analyst »

"Bud" ex machina.
Julie

Post by Julie »

Okay...my two cents on the people who are postulating whether or not this is Acacia being pulled out of crystal storage...No. Bud was the one who was sent to Yaxchilan and then would be meeting up with everyone at Mesa Verde, so this is Bud. Additionally, all three of the GGs were summoned to Monica by Tepoz waaay back when...so Bud would have already been pulled from crystal storage then. Granted, illiad's theory about Brandi's "helper" maybe being a contruct instead of the actual Bud is interesting, but Acacia's statement about being created to protect the Etheitians indicates that she is the real member of the GG trio, not a construct (or at the very least believes herself to be the real Acacia).

Now...I like the theories about "Vorp" being the sound an intercepted Poit makes. Bud has been to this location, so she would be able to poit in and out of there without any trouble...it makes sense to send her to the rescue. But who sent her? We haven't been given any indication that The Library actually has the ability to interrupt poits have we?

Actually, I just went back and re-read the section where Brandi shows up to chat with Kat & Atsali. Apparently The Library sent everyone out to find the two, which suggests that The Library is somehow behind all of this. However, Brandi also asked an interesting question that I think we know the answer to now. Kat said that the Mapimi Silent Zone was a place designed to keep things from The Library, and Brandi interjected that "the important question is why secrets are being kept from The Library." Seems to me like SDO wanted to keep the golem/chimera recipes out of circulation so that other people couldn't get the same bright ideas that the Lanthians/Etheitians did...and now The Library has set events in motion that will result in that information being unprotected. :shock:
MerchManDan wrote:I have a hunch that when our heroines finally arrive at Mesa Verde, SD Oduya will be most interested in the new contents of Atsali's head - and she may have some way of retrieving it. :?
I'd hope not. She worked hard to hide the information that is now stored in Atsali's brain. She didn't want it retrieved...hence the whole "self-destruct if the crystals are emptied" set up. I think that The Library (or potentially some other Power) is more interested in getting access to the forbidden information than SDO would ever be.
"Just open your eyes
And see that life is beautiful."
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

No, that is Bud. I had to go all the way back to the "rip-your-heart-out" story arc to confirm.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
TheDOCTOR
Location: Pittsburgh,Pa. via Gallifrey, in Constallation of Kastaborus

Post by TheDOCTOR »

Three possibilities: 1.That is Atsali, and she has developed (I'll say) *ahem* the ability to RE-generate into the person(s) in her noggin. 2. Thats the "COPY" of Acacia. 3. Thats Bud, only she had trouble 'Poiting' due to the Uranium. Now, YOU STUPID 'POOTER....FOR THE THIRD TIME---- SUBMIT!!!
Dave

Post by Dave »

jwhouk wrote:No, that is Bud. I had to go all the way back to the "rip-your-heart-out" story arc to confirm.
So, we're thinking that her sudden appearance here is a gift to Katherine and Atsali, courtesy of the Library, and that it's definitely the modern version of her and not the older Acacia coming out of storage?

"This Bud's for you!" sez the Library.
DilyV

Post by DilyV »

KnightDelight wrote:I don't think anything's covering her back, she's just very thin.

Some research in 2009 pegged the number of neurons in the human brain at around 86 Bn. Unless the brain of a 15 yo Siren has quite a few more, I find it hard to believe the entire computer could reside in her brain. 86GB is not all that much even today. Plus she still has to have enough left over to function. In any event I doubt all the knowledge that computer had could fit in her head. Maybe it's just the essence without all the main memory array(s). That or she can now access memory stores not actually located in that complex.
Or, the Krell weren't just on Altair IV... I think Maybe Atsali has experienced something akin to Doctor Morbius from Forbidden Planet when he played with the Krell mind expander...

Fast forward to 1:10...

That's my two cents... ahhh what the hell... *Drops my two cents in the pun jar just to be safe.*
You know that light at the end of the tunnel?

Yeah... it's a bullet. Sorry.