Self Destruct Device 2013-05-31

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
Opus the Poet

Self Destruct Device 2013-05-31

Post by Opus the Poet »

Atsali must have just remembered that part.
I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
jwhouk

Re: Self Destruct Device 2013-05-31

Post by jwhouk »

"Thank you for initiating the self destruct device! Self-destruct starts in ten, nine..."

EDIT: You only got me because I screwed up the subject.
Last edited by jwhouk on Fri May 31, 2013 1:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
davids4250

Post by davids4250 »

Well, that sounds like an "Oops!"
No trees were harmed in sending this message, however, a large number of electrons were seriously inconvenienced
Dave

Post by Dave »

Run. Away. Now.

The information Atsali picked up "en passant" does explain a good deal, both directly and indirectly... but somehow I doubt that Katherine is going to find it particularly comforting in the short term.

A naturally-nuclear-powered self-destruct. Paul, as Friday cliffhangers go, this is definitely one of your better ones! :shock:

Aaand, it sounds as if those folks really hadn't learned much from the destruction of Lanthis, and were (expletive deleted) crazy even before they contracted Tagii syndrome. I wonder if they're truly gone, or just hiding out in a USB data stick in the corner and hoping to sneak out in somebody's pocket (or hindbrain).
Last edited by Dave on Fri May 31, 2013 1:23 am, edited 3 times in total.
shadowinthelight

Post by shadowinthelight »

Maybe they should try to find the cancellation button?

"Counting down. Ten. Nine. Eight. Six."
"Six?! What happened to seven?!"
"Just kidding."
Julie, about Wapsi Square wrote:Oh goodness yes. So much paranormal!

Image My deviantART and YouTube.
I'm done thinking for today! It's caused me enough trouble!
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

Love Atsali's expression in the final panel.

"
Not even duct tape can fix stupid. But it can muffle the noise.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

Let's see if I'm understanding this.

"... Self Destruct IF the crystals are ever emptied."

Which is to say if anyone attempts to revive the (now, if not previously, insane) Lanthians/Anasazi, the whole place goes Boom to stop the attempt.

Er -- who set that up again?
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
MerchManDan

Post by MerchManDan »

OK, no problem. Just turn on the stargate and GTFO. Watch the news later to see the aftermath.
"Give orange me give eat orange me eat orange give me eat orange give me you." - Nim the chimp
Animation courtesy of shadowinthelight (thanks again!)
Dave

Post by Dave »

MerchManDan wrote:OK, no problem. Just turn on the stargate and GTFO. Watch the news later to see the aftermath.
"I'm sorry, unable to activate stargating function. System reserve power has been rerouted on a priority basis to the implosion initiation array, and will be unavailable until shortly after implosion commences. If you feel you have reached this recording in error, please stand by... a customer service representative from the Lakhenaten undersea dome will be with you shortly. The current call wait time is approximately 20 minutes."

*click*

(Music-on-hold begins
)

"Tamper implosion in 15 seconds. Please extinguish all smoking materials."
KnightDelight

Post by KnightDelight »

Okey Dokey. Does this all mean she just now dumped all the crystal contents, or were they already dumped long before? I think it means she just dumped them because she brought up the self destruct if they were ever emptied. Way to go, Atsali; Destroyer of Thousands. Poke in something you should not have touched and kill off an entire civilization. Of course, she just finished the job Brandi started. In the final analysis, it's all on her shoulders. Unless, of course, hundreds of thousands of individuals now reside in Atsali. Seems unlikely though.

If they were "awake" while in the crystals, it's little wonder they went crazy. um, crazier. An army of golems? Seems like just a few would do the trick.
DANGEROUSLY UNDER-MEDICATED
If we are what we eat, then I'm easy, fast, and cheap
DilyV

Post by DilyV »

Ruh-roh Raggy....

Where is Sydney Poiter when you need him?

Why do I get the feeling that Kath and Atsali are going to look like Jin and Monica during their island searching phase at the end of this trip? Scraped, bruised and slightly singed around the edges...

*Drops an oddly shaped Schwarovsky Crystal in the pun slot...*
You know that light at the end of the tunnel?

Yeah... it's a bullet. Sorry.
MerchManDan

Post by MerchManDan »

Atomic wrote:Let's see if I'm understanding this.

Which is to say if anyone attempts to revive the (now, if not previously, insane) Anasazi, the whole place goes Boom to stop the attempt.

....oh. Oh dear. :shock: Ms. Oduya takes the term "scorched-earth policy" to a new height. Or depth, as the case may be.
"Give orange me give eat orange me eat orange give me eat orange give me you." - Nim the chimp
NOTDilbert

Post by NOTDilbert »

Kath: Such a shame, the complete loss of two ancient cultures, ancient technology, ancient knowle....Did, you just say 'self destruct device'?

I do not think it will be a nuke. I think the 'natural' uranium deposit will be artificially enriched to create an unstopably molten mass that 'China Syndromes' it's way down until it reaches a magma chamber, then bango, we got a new volcano in Mapimi!

Edit: Evidence of this was discovered in 1972 in Gabon, Africa - I remember reading an article about it in Scientific American Magazine while I was in high school. (I graduated HS in 1974) The natural ones haven't ever (far as we know) China Syndromed before, but this sounds like a perfect way to dispose of the evidence.....
Last edited by NOTDilbert on Fri May 31, 2013 1:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Imagination is more important than Knowledge" - Albert Einstein
"History doesn't repeat itself, but it DOES rhyme" - Mark Twain
"Always. Expect. Ninjas." - Syndey Scoville
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

Atsali, prioritize your information! Self-destruct is much more important than crazy people go bye-bye...
"The price of perfection is prohibitive." - Anonymous
Dave

Post by Dave »

DilyV wrote:Why do I get the feeling that Kath and Atsali are going to look like Jin and Monica during their island searching phase at the end of this trip? Scraped, bruised and slightly singed around the edges...
In Atsali's case, the situation gives new meaning to Dr. Venkman's angry "Ok. This chick is toast!"

Unfortunately, unlike real toast, I don't think you can just scrape the burned bits off of a Siren :(
NOTDilbert

Post by NOTDilbert »

You can. But it will not be pleasant for either of you.
"Imagination is more important than Knowledge" - Albert Einstein
"History doesn't repeat itself, but it DOES rhyme" - Mark Twain
"Always. Expect. Ninjas." - Syndey Scoville
MerchManDan

Post by MerchManDan »

Dave wrote:
MerchManDan wrote:OK, no problem. Just turn on the stargate and GTFO. Watch the news later to see the aftermath.
"I'm sorry, unable to activate stargating function. System reserve power has been rerouted on a priority basis to the implosion initiation array, and will be unavailable until shortly after implosion commences. If you feel you have reached this recording in error, please stand by... a customer service representative from the Lakhenaten undersea dome will be with you shortly. The current call wait time is approximately 20 minutes."

*click*

(Music-on-hold begins
)

"Tamper implosion in 15 seconds. Please extinguish all smoking materials."
bad_call.jpg
bad_call.jpg (51.04 KiB) Viewed 9575 times
zachariah

Post by zachariah »

Atomic wrote:Let's see if I'm understanding this.

Which is to say if anyone attempts to revive the (now, if not previously, insane) Lanthians/Anasazi, the whole place goes Boom to stop the attempt.

Probably Brandi.

Now for the bad thoughts. If the self destruct is to stop the revival then it will have to happen quickly! It doesn't take that long to store them, and should take the same time to decant them. Sali has been talking during the time the self destruct should be counting down. I doubt there is even a count down as this appears to be a doomsday device for ultimate catastrophe. So the boom is not far off in time.

Now naturally occurring concentrated uranium is rare and is not prone to explode. A chain reaction will need to be started so a triggering device is needed to start the process. Usually a slow neutron source with high density of them. The other way is plutonium which is how the first bombs were built. Setting off a nuke in the zone is going to draw all sorts of unwanted attention. Plus naturally occurring uranium is U235 which can go off but not as well as U238 will. The only way to get pure U238 is separating it out of uranium deposits. With a mix the reaction is slowed down and a lot of the force is lost.

Final question where did the crazies go after they escaped? That could be crucial to what happens next.
Ambush questions are fun. Watching the mental impact of them as they distort, or crumble, opinions based on faulty logic.
Jay-Em

Post by Jay-Em »

..uh, oh... And not a good mine-cart in sight.

Oh, wait. This is going to be a melt-down. Seems better to get rid of the crystals forever. A big badaboom would only spread them around I guess.

Ohkay. better get-out the marshmallows I think, orr..like.. RUUUUUUUUNNNNN! and *plop* through the stargate. Where Brandi is probably waiting, wanting to hear if her complex plan to get rid of the obsessive-compulsive golem-makers, worked.
Last edited by Jay-Em on Fri May 31, 2013 2:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
but, why 42?
---------------
Against the assault of laughter nothing can stand. (S. Clemens)
Stigmartyr762

Post by Stigmartyr762 »

You now have ..... minutes to reach minimum safe distance.
There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.