Empty Slot 2013-05-29

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
CraigR

Re: Empty Slot 2013-05-29

Post by CraigR »

Either Atsali just acted as the final piece of an activation sequence OR she's suddenly pregnant with the six left over quadbabies...
Sidhekin

Post by Sidhekin »

I like either theory better than mine. I suspect the leftovers are in the bosom of Suzy McBride, though.
perl -e 'print "Just another Perl ${\(trickster and hacker)},";'

The Sidhekin proves that Sidhe did it!
Bud_Fanboi

Post by Bud_Fanboi »

Fried Chicken anyone?

Aleister Crow

Post by Aleister Crow »

I hope Atsali's shock resistant.

I also hope she didn't just crash the system and wipe out everything in the remaining crystals.
Whoever coined the phrase "more fun than a barrel of monkeys" obviously never spent an afternoon cramming the little buggers into one.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Sidhekin wrote:The setup just screams "possession incoming!"

... I hope I'm wrong, though.
You had that same feeling too, hey?
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
davids4250

Post by davids4250 »

Sidhekin wrote:I like either theory better than mine. I suspect the leftovers are in the bosom of Suzy McBride, though.

Lucky "leftovers"!
No trees were harmed in sending this message, however, a large number of electrons were seriously inconvenienced
Radical_Knight

Post by Radical_Knight »

Great Googly-Moogly... Well, that was certainly "Enlightening".
Memories die hard long after reality has turned to dust.
Julie

Post by Julie »

:shock: Oh shit...that doesn't look good.
"Just open your eyes
And see that life is beautiful."
kingklash

Post by kingklash »

***DOWNLOAD COMPLETE***
Your device will work faster if connected to a USB 2.0 port. For a list of available ports, click here.
illiad

Post by illiad »

Fairportfan wrote:
illiad wrote:ROFL ROFL.. a jolt from the 2k line sure tends to wake you up!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Fifteen KV X-ray tube anode supply.

Luckily, max current capacity of 3 mA.
ahh... medical tech??? :) I'm mainly TV's and PC's... :D
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

illiad wrote:
Fairportfan wrote:
illiad wrote:ROFL ROFL.. a jolt from the 2k line sure tends to wake you up!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Fifteen KV X-ray tube anode supply.

Luckily, max current capacity of 3 mA.
ahh... medical tech??? :) I'm mainly TV's and PC's... :D
No, actually - materials analysis equipment; Micromeritics Sedigraph 5000. (I was a tech at Micro in the 1980s.)

Used an X-ray beam to calculate particle size distribution in powders.

Micro's in-house lab did the analysis of the powder that NASA was fusing to make the Shuttle tiles that solved the problem of why they were so fragile; the particle size distribution wasn't what they thought it was, so they were cooking it wrong. (One of the other guys and i maintained the machine in the lab, BTW) The Sedigraph is (or was) the official standard for measuring alumina powders.
sedigraph_5000_et_gro%DF.jpg
sedigraph_5000_et_gro%DF.jpg (38.14 KiB) Viewed 8499 times
The X-ray beam goes from left to right, through a sample cell that contains a suspension of the powder to be analysed in water (not a solution, a suspension) into a scintillation crystal in the silver tube. The particles begin settling when the analysis starts (until then the suspension is kept mixed and circulated through the cell from the little beaker you see), and the cell moves downward at the same time. The graph drawn on the chart recorder can show percentages of different size particles from .1 micron to (i think) 10 microns in size.
Not even duct tape can fix stupid. But it can muffle the noise.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
Yamara

Post by Yamara »

kingklash wrote:***DOWNLOAD COMPLETE***
Your device will work faster if connected to a USB 2.0 port. For a list of available ports, click here.
Win.

Dave wrote:Atsali should have realized... mess around with sacred Lanthian machinery, and of course you'll be electrocuted by the arc of the Covenant!
Come to think of it, Spielberg may have had that pun in mind.

"Shut your eyes, Marion! In the Latin alphabet it ends with a C!"

PunPal has charged me for two millennia of child support for the city of Marseilles.
PunPalsm the fastest way to pay the pun jar

Do Not Taunt Happy Fun Baal.
zachariah

Post by zachariah »

Sudden flash of light in my head and it hurts.
Facts:
1. Spider women is a protector according to myth.
2. Vase showed 6 figures with a seventh as a child with the spider over it.
3. Six mothers lost one of their babies due to a programming glitch.
4. Missing crystal probably the one Lilly found in the spider carving and stored in Suzi's cleavage of holding, and has the babies.
5. Lilly was one of six women abandoned in the desert by the spider carving 5000 years ago.

I suspect we are making a mistake about who and what the spider women is. The spider may be a protector but it also weaves webs that catch things. Doesn't that sound like Brandi? I'd give odds the Spider Women is Brandi and the true facts were garbled by time. The six figures are the mothers missing a child caught in the web woven to get the ethians out of circulation. This can easily have become a myth of the Ethian people when they were revived into a barren world with all they building and technology in ruins after being abandoned for a thousand years.
Lilly was probably one of the mothers who was revived in an attempt to return the misplaced baby to them but got lost in the wilderness. For some reason the crystal with the babies was left in the spider carving. The passage of time hid what really happened as the ethians only knew what Brandi told them, which was not the truth. This means Kathy has nothing to do with the spider women beyond finding out who, what, why, and where.
It is possible to make a case the Kathy, or Lilly, might be Bia's descendant though. Depends on which mate Bia used to create that line. This may the final steps in Brandi's plan to repair the damage done by the chimera so long ago. I'll bet on it being Kathy.

Now everyone whose head hurts like mine is free to join me in the corner while the pain wears off.
Ambush questions are fun. Watching the mental impact of them as they distort, or crumble, opinions based on faulty logic.
illiad

Post by illiad »

Fairportfan: hey wow, man... now that is *real* hardware!!!... :P :) :) :)
dex drako

Post by dex drako »

I don't think I want to know what inside that crystal because it's no longer 6 babies.

remember there was a reason everyone had to have their own crystal in the first place and if they didn't it would be bad.
http://wapsisquare.com/comic/buffers-in-place/

I'm hoping that means more making one new person and less something like "the fly"
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

illiad wrote:Fairportfan: hey wow, man... now that is *real* hardware!!!... :P :) :) :)
Yep.

BTW: While watching the first episode of Hill Street Blues i deduced that it was shot on location in Chicago (the first three were, actually) because a major sequence took place right in front of Eureka X-Ray Products, who supplied our tubes...

Micro built other stuff: a materials porosity measuring device that used mercury ... under 20,000 pounds per square inch...

High Pressure Liquid Chromatography equipment - the engineers designed a photo-detector that had to have the photodiodes it used mounted in blocks of virgin white teflon, because brown delrin allowed too much leakage current. (The damned thing produced a measurable voltage out put for input currents in the femtoamperes...)
Last edited by Fairportfan on Wed May 29, 2013 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Not even duct tape can fix stupid. But it can muffle the noise.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
kingklash

Post by kingklash »

davids4250 wrote:
Sidhekin wrote:I like either theory better than mine. I suspect the leftovers are in the bosom of Suzy McBride, though.

Lucky "leftovers"!
For some reason, it makes want to be a cold meatloaf sandwich. Which she probably has in there somewhere.
Grantwhy

Post by Grantwhy »

Q: What does it look like?

A: It feels smooth.

*facepalm*

I was going to make a 'typical teenager' comment, but I know adults that would do the same thing :P
As a CareBearAnarchist I believe in the destruction and overthrow of the perils of society through random and senseless acts of consideration and kindness
Growing older is compulsory, growing up is optional
Dumb things happen to smart phones
KnightDelight

Post by KnightDelight »

zachariah wrote:Sudden flash of light in my head and it hurts.
Facts:
4. Missing crystal probably the one Lilly found in the spider carving and stored in Suzi's cleavage of holding, and has the babies.
5. Lilly was one of six women abandoned in the desert by the spider carving 5000 years ago.

I suspect we are making a mistake about who and what the spider women is. The spider may be a protector but it also weaves webs that catch things. Doesn't that sound like Brandi? I'd give odds the Spider Women is Brandi and the true facts were garbled by time. The six figures are the mothers missing a child caught in the web woven to get the ethians out of circulation. This can easily have become a myth of the Ethian people when they were revived into a barren world with all they building and technology in ruins after being abandoned for a thousand years.
Lilly was probably one of the mothers who was revived in an attempt to return the misplaced baby to them but got lost in the wilderness. For some reason the crystal with the babies was left in the spider carving. The passage of time hid what really happened as the ethians only knew what Brandi told them, which was not the truth. This means Kathy has nothing to do with the spider women beyond finding out who, what, why, and where.
It is possible to make a case the Kathy, or Lilly, might be Bia's descendant though. Depends on which mate Bia used to create that line. This may the final steps in Brandi's plan to repair the damage done by the chimera so long ago. I'll bet on it being Kathy.

Now everyone whose head hurts like mine is free to join me in the corner while the pain wears off.
Well, 4 & 5 are still suppositions actually. Nor do we know what the spider crystal contains at this point. Still, the point about the spider woman being Brandi is a good one. I'm sure the GGs have been the source of many legends over the intervening millennia.
DANGEROUSLY UNDER-MEDICATED
If we are what we eat, then I'm easy, fast, and cheap
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

zachariah wrote:Sudden flash of light in my head and it hurts.
Facts:

What if Kath is the missing babies? All six of them? Might explain her personality...eccentricities.
"The price of perfection is prohibitive." - Anonymous