Nerd Among Nerds 2018-10-22

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
jwhouk

Nerd Among Nerds 2018-10-22

Post by jwhouk »

http://wapsisquare.com/comic/nerd-among-nerds/

And there's our connection. Mutual Fangirl Society, anyone?
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
Opus the Poet

Re: Nerd Among Nerds 2018-10-22

Post by Opus the Poet »

Another squee heard from space?https://egscomics.com/comic/2013-06-03
I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

Heck.

Call Monica and Jet and invite them over, too.
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
AnotherFairportfan

Ah and also Hah.

I bet Hellen is just hoping for an introduction to Lydia.
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
Opus the Poet

Post by Opus the Poet »

What makes you think Hellen doesn't have Lydia on speed dial?

And I totally missed that Monica reference the first time I read the comic. And was I the only one who went to the Wings' song Helen Wheels?

I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
AnotherFairportfan

Opus the Poet wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:52 pm What makes you think Hellen doesn't have Lydia on speed dial?
Rule Of Funny
eee

Post by eee »

I'm not sure exactly why Bryn is fangirling so hard. Hellen is beyond adorable, but I don't know that pure physical attractiveness should be that devastating.

It is also interesting that Hellen seems to spend much of her free time alone. Or so that's the the impression I get.
AnotherFairportfan wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:16 pm Heck.

Call Monica and Jet and invite them over, too.
This.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

I dunno if "Hellen Bla-air" has the same lyrical quality as the original, but I bet Macca could find a way to pull it off.
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

eee wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:13 pm I'm not sure exactly why Bryn is fangirling so hard. Hellen is beyond adorable, but I don't know that pure physical attractiveness should be that devastating.
Well, it seems that the Model is well know in the Para Community, so... whats not to have worked up a fan-girl situation, prior to getting the chance to meet in person?
oldmanmickey

Post by oldmanmickey »

Yea looks like a meeting between Devil girl and Jaguar girl is destined. As far as the fan girling goes lots of people are fans of others for many reasons. What i have a problem is why the Kardashins are so famous. I mean it looks to my uneducated eye they are simply famous for being famous.
Dear, don’t bore him with trivia or burden him with your past mistakes. The happiest way to deal with a man is never to tell him anything he does not need to know. L. Long
eee

Post by eee »

Also, now that I think about it, is it pronounced "Helen", "Hel-len", or "Hellene"? I would assume the first, but would like to be sure before I get too set in my ways.
oldmanmickey wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:52 am Yea looks like a meeting between Devil girl and Jaguar girl is destined. As far as the fan girling goes lots of people are fans of others for many reasons. What i have a problem is why the Kardashins are so famous. I mean it looks to my uneducated eye they are simply famous for being famous.
Yes...

That and sex.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

I would assume it is pronounced "Hell-en" as her supposed nickname (from Bryn on Friday) is "Hell".
Catawampus

Post by Catawampus »

eee wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:13 pm I'm not sure exactly why Bryn is fangirling so hard. Hellen is beyond adorable, but I don't know that pure physical attractiveness should be that devastating.
Given the reactions of every character so far, Hellen seems to be a top celebrity. Added to that, Bryn (a school principal) might also have been taken by Hellen's background as a scientist and fellow educator of children. A good-looking celebrity with similar interests. . .that might very well get Bryn in a tizzy.
eee wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:13 pmIt is also interesting that Hellen seems to spend much of her free time alone. Or so that's the the impression I get.
Perhaps she's also an amateur taxidermist, and she has all of her family, former boyfriends/girlfriends, coworkers, neighbours, casual acquaintances, and whomever else she could catch stuffed and preserved in her attic so that she can sit up there and have tea time with them all.

Well, the end of October is a good time to have a few creepy horror-themed strips, right?
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

Hellen: I have pointy horns!

Monica: I have astral fire!

Katherine: I have a bag of haunted marshmallows!

Bryn: Great! Campfire time!
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
Warrl

Post by Warrl »

jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

I just realized that this is Selene's home.

Does this mean the Fausts live in the TC's, too?
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

Kath has access to the Library, and nobody else is a human, so they can all use the Library portal systems.
He's mister GlytchMeister, he's mister code
He's mister exploiter, he's mister ones and zeros
They call me GlytchMeister, whatever I touch
Starts to glitch in my clutch!
I'm too much!
Bookworm

Post by Bookworm »

GlytchMeister wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:34 pm Kath has access to the Library, and nobody else is a human, so they can all use the Library portal systems.
Technically, Kath isn't quote/unquote human either. She's the last living Atlantean. All.. eight of them?
I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

Bookworm wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:23 am
GlytchMeister wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:34 pm Kath has access to the Library, and nobody else is a human, so they can all use the Library portal systems.
Technically, Kath isn't quote/unquote human either. She's the last living Atlantean. All.. eight of them?
Lanthians were humans, just an ancient culture that was wiped out by the Chimera (the triple-golem wombo combo monster), she’s just a chimera (in the scientific sense of the word) of six. And Phix was originally going to test her, but Kath fainted.

All of that aside, I also think Kath’s six constituents weren’t, strictly speaking, Lanthian. I think they were Ethetians. Can’t remember how the Anastasi were related to them, might have been remnants of the Ethetians, who themselves were remnants of the Lanthians. Splitting hairs, but whatever.

I can’t remember, but I think only humans have to get tested by Phix because they attacked and burnt the Library of Alexandria... though it might also be there to weed out people who are too controlled by their demons or something like that? So Phix testing her may or may not be proof that Kath is a human genetic chimera. But I’m pretty certain the Lanthians, and thus the Ethetians, and therefore Kath, were all human.

Not to mention the fact that Kath was a member of the Air Force and therefore probably had to pass a whole bunch of medical tests, and not a single doctor or nurse noticed anything amiss... I doubt MIB would have bothered to keep important medical information like that from Kath - they’d have to handle every emergency visit and every prompt care visit... either by exposing the paranormal world to a bunch of doctors, having a team of people, probably shapeshifters, temporarily occupy every medical facility she visited off-schedule, or memory-wiping doctors and nurses... and doing all of this in both civilian and military environments. WAY too much expenditure of resources for a (then) low security threat when they could have easily just went to Kath and said “yo, you’re not really human, so here’s a list of medical providers in your area who won’t lose their minds because you have a messed up organ organization and a backwards heart and creepy spider eyes. Don’t tell anyone, please, it’s pretty important and in all honesty, you’ll probably get killed because humans are xenophobic bastards.”

Literally probably 1 man-hour, there, and probably a few more for check-ins by a case manager to make sure she was keeping her mouth shut.

So, yeah, I find it unlikely that Kath is not human. A weird human, yes. But human.

Wow, Louis’ index is super useful.
He's mister GlytchMeister, he's mister code
He's mister exploiter, he's mister ones and zeros
They call me GlytchMeister, whatever I touch
Starts to glitch in my clutch!
I'm too much!
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

There is reason to believe that someone, somewhere, back in all the hubbub, did realize she was special.

And that person sent an A-10 Warthog to defensestrate someone who was seeking to off her.