No One Out Here 2018-02-23

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: The Old Wolf, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Bookworm, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.

No One Out Here 2018-02-23

Postby ChattaStarhawk » Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:19 am

And the emptiness echoes...

On the other head, six eyes? Antlers?
User avatar
ChattaStarhawk
 
Posts: 160
Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:23 pm
Location: Chattanooga, TN

Re: No One Out Here 2018-02-23

Postby jeffepp » Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:55 am

Klang? Metallic nature confirmed?
User avatar
jeffepp
 
Posts: 392
Joined: Thu Aug 02, 2012 1:53 am

Re: No One Out Here 2018-02-23

Postby Opus the Poet » Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:57 am

ChattaStarhawk wrote:And the emptiness echoes...

On the other head, six eyes? Antlers?

They don't build pixies like they used to.
I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
User avatar
Opus the Poet
 
Posts: 1730
Joined: Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:24 am
Location: Surrounded by Hell

Re: No One Out Here 2018-02-23

Postby TazManiac » Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:15 am

I'm pretty sure the 'original' Pixies are pretty knarly & nasty to deal with, all alone in the forest and everything.

Any time a Pixie looks like Tinkerbell, there's likely a Glamour at work...

Image

ps- they've been known to interbreed with the human population... https://qph.fs.quoracdn.net/main-qimg-7b2395f5551ab879f11fc6528ba5fbf5-c
User avatar
TazManiac
 
Posts: 2819
Joined: Fri Nov 29, 2013 6:53 pm

Re: No One Out Here 2018-02-23

Postby oldmanmickey » Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:04 am

One should be very sure of oneself before banging a WMD upside the head. When one is dealing with things that can bring down armageddon oops is not the safe word. Although being of a metallic nature would mean lasting a few micro seconds longer that the others in the room.
Dear, don’t bore him with trivia or burden him with your past mistakes. The happiest way to deal with a man is never to tell him anything he does not need to know. L. Long
User avatar
oldmanmickey
 
Posts: 1472
Joined: Fri Aug 08, 2014 4:41 pm

Re: No One Out Here 2018-02-23

Postby eee » Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:06 am

So much for it just being Digit checking on them.

Six eyes? And Hiroshi appears to be down for the count.

If there's nothing out in the hallway, maybe that means it's in the room. Wait until THAT idea occurs to one of them!

(I rather hope this goes particular story goes on for quite some time, this is MOST entertaining. :lol: )
eee
 
Posts: 802
Joined: Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:23 am

Re: No One Out Here 2018-02-23

Postby Just Old Al » Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:43 am

Opus the Poet wrote:They don't build pixies like they used to.


That's not a pixie that's a pile of spare parts flying in close formation...like a Sphinx.

"Now look, you badly aerodynamic pile of spare parts..."

Al
"The Empire was founded on cups of tea, mate, and if you think I am going to war without one you are sadly mistaken."
User avatar
Just Old Al
 
Posts: 1362
Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:43 am
Location: Wilderness of Massachusetts

Re: No One Out Here 2018-02-23

Postby jwhouk » Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:40 am

Just Old Al wrote:
Opus the Poet wrote:They don't build pixies like they used to.


That's not a pixie that's a pile of spare parts flying in close formation...like a Sphinx.

"Now look, you badly aerodynamic pile of spare parts..."

Al



(Gets out of the way of the impending attack...)
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
User avatar
jwhouk
 
Posts: 5286
Joined: Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:58 am
Location: The Valley of the Sun, Arizona

Re: No One Out Here 2018-02-23

Postby jwhouk » Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:50 pm

From Pablo on Facebook:

Shawna's look was from digging into the oldest records that I could find of pixie like creatures (also not specifically called pixies) and then figuring out if the renderings were possible misinterpretations and or simplifications, then just having fun with it. :)
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
User avatar
jwhouk
 
Posts: 5286
Joined: Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:58 am
Location: The Valley of the Sun, Arizona

Re: No One Out Here 2018-02-23

Postby oldmanmickey » Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:57 pm

jwhouk wrote:From Pablo on Facebook:

Shawna's look was from digging into the oldest records that I could find of pixie like creatures (also not specifically called pixies) and then figuring out if the renderings were possible misinterpretations and or simplifications, then just having fun with it. :)

I think the key word there is fun
Dear, don’t bore him with trivia or burden him with your past mistakes. The happiest way to deal with a man is never to tell him anything he does not need to know. L. Long
User avatar
oldmanmickey
 
Posts: 1472
Joined: Fri Aug 08, 2014 4:41 pm

Re: No One Out Here 2018-02-23

Postby Catawampus » Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:37 pm

Scarlet: “The hallway's empty! No one is out here!”
Creepy disembodied voice: “That's because I'm in the classroom now, not the hall. .
Kids in unison: “AAAUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGH!!!!”

I wonder how Shawna's multiple eyes and one set of glasses work together.

And while Castela's natural tendency seems to be to try to protect people around her, she also seems to have a bad habit of accidentally using excessive amounts of force on her friends and those who she's trying to protect whenever she gets alarmed. That could get messy if the person standing close to her one of these times isn't as durable as Hiroshi or Daylla.
User avatar
Catawampus
 
Posts: 1954
Joined: Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:47 pm

Re: No One Out Here 2018-02-23

Postby Warrl » Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:47 pm

Catawampus wrote:I wonder how Shawna's multiple eyes and one set of glasses work together.


Perhaps they are not for vision, but serve another purpose. Like keeping her eye-beams from burning people.
Warrl
 
Posts: 1308
Joined: Sat Jul 20, 2013 10:44 pm

Re: No One Out Here 2018-02-23

Postby Dave » Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:33 pm

And the voice of a spectral Yorkshireman is heard to say "Oh, we used to dream of haunting a corridor!"

jeffepp wrote:Klang? Metallic nature confirmed?

Probably. I suppose she could be a living ceramic, sort of like Ruri but more durable... you can get a nice klang out of a humble clay. Although, she considering the way she friend-hassles Castela, I'd call her brassy rather than humble.
User avatar
Dave
 
Posts: 6347
Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2012 5:58 pm
Location: Mountain View, CA, USA

Re: No One Out Here 2018-02-23

Postby TazManiac » Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:54 pm

Dave wrote:And the voice of a spectral Yorkshireman is heard to say "Oh, we used to dream of haunting a corridor!"

jeffepp wrote:Klang? Metallic nature confirmed?

Probably. I suppose she could be a living ceramic, sort of like Ruri but more durable... you can get a nice klang out of a humble clay. Although, she considering the way she friend-hassles Castela, I'd call her brassy rather than humble.


I don't have a cite handy but I'm pretty sure the prevailing sense is that sister-girl is indeed metallic...
User avatar
TazManiac
 
Posts: 2819
Joined: Fri Nov 29, 2013 6:53 pm

Re: No One Out Here 2018-02-23

Postby FreeFlier » Sat Feb 24, 2018 3:04 am

Catawampus wrote:Scarlet: “The hallway's empty! No one is out here!”
Creepy disembodied voice: “That's because I'm in the classroom now, not the hall. .
Kids in unison: “AAAUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGH!!!!” . . .

Or the kids barricade the door in a panic, and once they have all the furniture piled against it, a little voice from the corner says "Now we're all locked in for the night . . ."

--FreeFlier
FreeFlier
 
Posts: 1847
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2015 11:33 pm
Location: Land of the webbed feet

Re: No One Out Here 2018-02-23

Postby Atomic » Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:38 am

"What is it, darling?"

"Daddy - there's a monster under my bed!"

"There, there, sweetie. I'll take care of it."

Looks under bed. Sees daughter again.

"Daddy - there's a monster in my bed!"
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
User avatar
Atomic
 
Posts: 2304
Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:39 am
Location: Central PA

Re: No One Out Here 2018-02-23

Postby Catawampus » Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:55 am

TazManiac wrote:I don't have a cite handy but I'm pretty sure the prevailing sense is that sister-girl is indeed metallic...


It was right after Ruri is introduced, so towards the start of October. Castela is telling Daylla about Ruri, and Daylla says something along the lines of, "My mom and I are living metal, you're a human/blackthorn hybrid, and I'm still freaking out about a teapot!" It was the first confirmation in-story of both Daylla being metallic and Castela being at least part human.
User avatar
Catawampus
 
Posts: 1954
Joined: Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:47 pm

Re: No One Out Here 2018-02-23

Postby TazManiac » Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:40 am

Catawampus wrote:
TazManiac wrote:I don't have a cite handy but I'm pretty sure the prevailing sense is that sister-girl is indeed metallic...


It was right after Ruri is introduced, so towards the start of October. Castela is telling Daylla about Ruri, and Daylla says something along the lines of, "My mom and I are living metal, you're a human/blackthorn hybrid, and I'm still freaking out about a teapot!" It was the first confirmation in-story of both Daylla being metallic and Castela being at least part human.


Thats a good point, but I'm thinking:

- Castela stomping the Fae Princess arc.

- Flashback to the Holo-room recreation of Atsali becoming an Orphan arc.

- (There's another one, but it slipped away as i was distracted by SVU reruns...).

Going back to Monica & Shelly being cussed out by 'da Librarian' and Castela crashing the party ("Tanta Phix!, Tanta Phix!") is too far back, as is "Castela is part of my Adventure" w/ her introduction to Katherine. But since then I'm pretty sure she mentioned being a plant/human hybrid...
User avatar
TazManiac
 
Posts: 2819
Joined: Fri Nov 29, 2013 6:53 pm

Re: No One Out Here 2018-02-23

Postby Catawampus » Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:22 pm

TazManiac wrote:
Catawampus wrote:
TazManiac wrote:I don't have a cite handy but I'm pretty sure the prevailing sense is that sister-girl is indeed metallic...


It was right after Ruri is introduced, so towards the start of October. Castela is telling Daylla about Ruri, and Daylla says something along the lines of, "My mom and I are living metal, you're a human/blackthorn hybrid, and I'm still freaking out about a teapot!" It was the first confirmation in-story of both Daylla being metallic and Castela being at least part human.


Thats a good point, but I'm thinking:

- Castela stomping the Fae Princess arc.

- Flashback to the Holo-room recreation of Atsali becoming an Orphan arc.

- (There's another one, but it slipped away as i was distracted by SVU reruns...).

Going back to Monica & Shelly being cussed out by 'da Librarian' and Castela crashing the party ("Tanta Phix!, Tanta Phix!") is too far back, as is "Castela is part of my Adventure" w/ her introduction to Katherine. But since then I'm pretty sure she mentioned being a plant/human hybrid...


Her genetic makeup was mentioned a few times, by her or others. When Nadette and Berdine were introduced, Nadette asked Castela what she was, and Castela replied, "I named myself, I'm a Whatsit! I'm the only one like me so far. I'm part plant and part animal!"

Then when Castela met Jin at the beach party, she introduced herself with, "My name is Castela, I'm a Whatsit! I'm part plant, and I love sunshine!" And in that same series of strips, Tina called Castela a "critter-plant". And shortly after that, when Castela fell onto the scissors, is when Bud and Atsali discussed how Castela's body was made out of a bunch of branches crocheted together.

The next such mention of Castela's heritage was after she stomped all over Cricket; Cricket said that Castela was "a daughter of blackthorn" and "a daughter of wood", and in the next strip that she "was created in a lab. She's a blend of ancient thorn plants, plant known to be sentient and wise but lacking mobility". A few strips later, Cricket is talking to Castela and says that her family's secret service "learned of humans who had found sentient blackthorns and were experimenting with them".

A long while later, when we meet the MiB agents who are cleaning up the mess after Atsali's parents are killed, the agents keep referring to Castela as "the blackthorn".

Later on, we have Daylla and Castela on the roof of the Gilchrist house, with Castela complaining about the lack of good thunderstorms. Daylla replies, "Maybe that's the plant part of you talking."

Finally came the conversation I mentioned above, when Daylla mentioned Castela having human DNA. Before that, all that we knew was that she was at least part blackthorn and part unspecified animal. And later on, when talking to Luci, Castela herself said that she was "engineered from an ancient blackthorn and human DNA."

Those were all the times when anything about what she was made of were mentioned. Other times she or her mother or others talked about possibilities of why she was made.
User avatar
Catawampus
 
Posts: 1954
Joined: Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:47 pm

Re: No One Out Here 2018-02-23

Postby Dave » Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:02 pm

Catawampus wrote:Those were all the times when anything about what she was made of were mentioned. Other times she or her mother or others talked about possibilities of why she was made.

And, I don't think we have ever read any of the characters discuss who she was made from. That is, just who were the human donors of DNA into her makeup? Who is/are her human quasi-ancestors?
User avatar
Dave
 
Posts: 6347
Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2012 5:58 pm
Location: Mountain View, CA, USA

Next

Return to Daily Wapsi Square Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 5 guests