Hitting Home 2017-01-23

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
GlytchMeister

Re: Hitting Home 2017-01-23

Post by GlytchMeister »

eee wrote:RE locking her up: Remember, bio-engineered weapon. Perhaps one of the most powerful beings on Earth. Maybe even capable of destroying the GGG. Locking her up, antagonizing her, would be a disaster. You either have to get her to regulate her own behavior - which she's been doing pretty well, really - or kill her. There's not much in-between.
That doesn't mean some xenophobe with connections will do it anyway. Just because it doesn't make sense doesn't mean someone won't want to try.

Case in point: Trump and his wall.
He's mister GlytchMeister, he's mister code
He's mister exploiter, he's mister ones and zeros
They call me GlytchMeister, whatever I touch
Starts to glitch in my clutch!
I'm too much!
illiad

Post by illiad »

eee wrote:The horns / ears confuse me. She's Blackthorn / human. I can see her losing control of her appearance and looking like she normally does, or devolving into vines, or doing her 'turn into a blossom and scream in anguish' bit; but why grow horns?

RE locking her up: Remember, bio-engineered weapon. Perhaps one of the most powerful beings on Earth. Maybe even capable of destroying the GGG. Locking her up, antagonizing her, would be a disaster. You either have to get her to regulate her own behavior - which she's been doing pretty well, really - or kill her. There's not much in-between.
and do remember she is basically a young teen, getting to grips with nightmarishly awful things that they do to each other, due to ignorance, and other stuff.... that's what experienced friends like bud are for... :roll:
oldmanmickey

Post by oldmanmickey »

I have a feeling that Pickle isnt the only one that gonna be yelling nononono
Dear, don’t bore him with trivia or burden him with your past mistakes. The happiest way to deal with a man is never to tell him anything he does not need to know. L. Long
Dave

Post by Dave »

eee wrote:The horns / ears confuse me. She's Blackthorn / human. I can see her losing control of her appearance and looking like she normally does, or devolving into vines, or doing her 'turn into a blossom and scream in anguish' bit; but why grow horns?
As chicgeek correctly pointed out, she's been doing that since we first met her. She wasn't even very upset at the time.

As to why she grows (or even has) them... I don't think Paul has ever directly explained that aspect of her form. Possibly they are a type of thorn, similar to what she has on her vines, but (at times) much larger?
Catawampus

Post by Catawampus »

It seems that, though she does have a good deal of control over her body's shape, Castela does have some particular set forms that her body is predisposed to take. Thus her grumbles about her "fat ankles", even though she can just turn into a bundle of waving vines at will. Perhaps the horns are part of some other automatic body shape adaption that shows when she gets angry. There's no telling what in her DNA (assuming she even has actual DNA) is leading to that. A wild guess: we've seen from non-canon sketches that some of the fae have horns, and we know that Castela was made to kill paranormals and can kill fae. Perhaps she has some fae genetics in her make-up, as sort of a fighting fire with fire thing to let her be able to wallop fae.
FreeFlier

Post by FreeFlier »

The horns could be from close association with Atsali too . . . Castela may be able to read more of Atsali's genome than expected.

--FreeFlier
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

The postulate is that those aren't horns - they're thorns.

And yes, when she's in a state of duress or upset, they appear.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

I don't know why I didn't even consider that those are horns, but I'm still confused as to why they appear like that so consistently.
There is no such thing as a science experiment gone wrong.
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

Dude. Pointy Stuff is scuurrrry...
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

Opus the Poet wrote:
jeffepp wrote:Scratch that outfit.
Yeah, she's gonna have heck explaining how she wasn't attacked or something with her clothes torn like that.
Look at "tomorrow's" comic.
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

sheik wrote: But I too was wondering if the page title actually implies that Castela went home before she let loose. Raw concrete looks pretty much the same everywhere you go.
No - it's the realisation "hitting home"
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.