Stop Right There 2015-04-24

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
AnotherFairportfan

Re: Stop Right There 2015-04-24

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

I suppose that it is just barely possible that i may be a Bad Man.
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
Warrl

Post by Warrl »

Opus the Poet wrote:Nadette is still trying to get Atsali, who wants her to succeed and who doesn't? I'm in Team Nadette. :twisted:

Who is on Team Jacob? :roll:
Daniel.
eee wrote:
Akeche wrote:This might not end as well as Nadette expects.
Nadette's a Seer. She may know what's coming.

Or she may not. She seemed to know where Atsali and Jacob's relationship was going before it even started, but she didn't seem deliriously happy about it. So one could assume it's not going end up with the bird coming to rest against her heart. And yet, she's continuing to all but hand 'Sali a 'Ticket to Ride'. Her actions don't add up, unless there's going to be a development that none of us foresee.
She can't see a future that is too close to herself.

She knew that pushing Atsali to ask Jacob out would lead to happiness for both of them - but *not together*. Well, it gave Jacob the self-confidence to pursue what he really wanted, which is a good start on that side.

But presumably her desire for Atsali to be happy *with her* renders that aspect of Atsali's future too close to Nadette, or for some other reason it's too close, so she can't see it. And then (through inexperience - she hasn't been doing this seer business for forty years, ya know) she may be interpreting it as even closer to herself than the evidence supports.

(Please note: I am NOT saying that Atsali's happiness WON'T be with Nadette. I don't know. I do know Atsali is not strictly gay... but not all that many people are strictly on one team in their desires.)
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

AnotherFairportfan wrote:
GlytchMeister wrote:Sooo...
I first your post about an hour ago, Mark. I'm already up to my eyeballs in an archive binge. And I just finished Two Lumps. Literally, just finished that archive about 2 hours ago, and now I have a new one.

I don't know if this is a good thing or a problem. Imma call it a good problem.
Have you tried Darken, Spinnerette or Exiern?

{And, after you finish Darken, you might want to try her new (and current) comic, Widdershins.}
I'm up to date on Spinny. I couldn't stand those silver-age flashbacks. Please tell me that's not how it really used to be... >_<

[southern] Oh, dear lord. [/southern]
More archives. And I just finished Shotgun Shuffle. What are you people trying to do to me? :P
He's mister GlytchMeister, he's mister code
He's mister exploiter, he's mister ones and zeros
They call me GlytchMeister, whatever I touch
Starts to glitch in my clutch!
I'm too much!
jeffepp

Post by jeffepp »

Mark N wrote:
GlytchMeister wrote:Can somebody tell me where that pic came from? I keep thinking it's from El Goonish Shive, but I'm not sure. I don't remember Ellen's breasts being that big... Nor do I remember the word balloons being fully colored in.

And now it's bothering me, and I can't sleep, and I don't want to archive binge that massive archive just to figure this out...

The image in question is from Shotgun Shuffle a web-comic from Chris Rusche.
Yup. I modified it a little, so the text could be read at the reduced resolution. The gag is self standing, but part of a larger page, and story. Go read it. All. Doooo itttt. We have time.
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

I did. Pretty good story, but I do kinda lose track of what exactly is going on. Nothing new there. I'm a regular here at Confusion Corner.

And the art... It was alright at the start, and it's done nothing but improve since then.

This comic has earned the unofficial official stamp of Glytch's approval, and is now in my list of bookmarked comics.

*thumbs up*
He's mister GlytchMeister, he's mister code
He's mister exploiter, he's mister ones and zeros
They call me GlytchMeister, whatever I touch
Starts to glitch in my clutch!
I'm too much!
kingklash

Post by kingklash »

Ah, Shotgun Shuffle. Home of the Perfectly Spherical Cat. I look in on it every so often, to catch up on their goings-on.
Sgt. Howard

Post by Sgt. Howard »

(Scene- empty stage with stool in the middle, microphone resting on stool. Spotlight on stool, small circle of light splash around stool- nothing else is visible. Nadette, in bear form, walks over and picks up the microphone and sits on the stool- she is sad in demeanor- Guitar strikes up opening chords to "Long, long time" [Linda Ronstadt})

Love will abide- take things in stride- sounds like good advise, but there's no-one at my side

And time washes clean- loves' wounds unseen- somebody told me that, but I don't know what it means

'cause I've done everything I know to try and make you mine... and I think I'm gonna love you for a long, long time
(guitar interlude) http://wapsisquare.com/comic/the-only-way/

Caught in my fears- blinking back the tears- I can't say you hurt me when you never let me near

And I never drew- one response from you-all the while you fell all over guys you never knew

'cause I've done everything I know to try and make you mine... and I think it's going to hurt me, for a long, long time
(Guitar interlude) http://wapsisquare.com/comic/more-complicated-2/

Wait for the day- you'll go away- knowing that you warned me of the price I'd have to pay (a tear appears in one eye- she wipes it with her free paw)

Life's full of loss- who knows the cause? Living in the memory of a love that never was (both eyes are wet)

'cause I've done everything I know to try and make you mine... and I think I'm going to miss you, for a long, long time (tears are flowing freely down both cheeks)

Yes and I've done everything I know, to try and make you mine... and I think I'm going to love you, for a long, long time (she drops her head, the hand holding the microphone goes fairly limp, as the spotlight fades, we see her starting to sob)
Last edited by Sgt. Howard on Sun Apr 26, 2015 10:58 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Rule 17 of the Bombay Golf Course- "You shall play the ball where the monkey drops it,"
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
AnotherFairportfan

GlytchMeister wrote:I'm up to date on Spinny. I couldn't stand those silver-age flashbacks. Please tell me that's not how it really used to be... >_<
Well, yes and no.

He's basically doing Very Early Marvel - most of Spinnerette is Marvel-inspired (right down to "Cerenkov-Kirby radiation", which namechecks a real nuclear physicist and artist Jack Kirby, the main co-creator with Stan Lee of the "Marvel Age of Comics")

I'm pretty sure that the first Marvel comic i saw was Fantastic Four #3, when i would have about thirteen. So i probably remember them better than Krazy Krow.

The art was a bit better - though often crude by today's fanboy standards. (Don heck who just died, was a brilliant visual storyteller whose art was ... not realistic, but perfectly sufficient for the purpose. He drew some of the best Hulk stories EVER.)

And, yeah, the writing was sort of like that - though KK has exaggerated quite a bit - but the "transistorised armor" thing really was basically the explanation for everything Iron Man could do. Of course, the transistor and i are the same age, and i was barely fourteen (my birthday was October, and the first IM story hit the stands in December) when IM came on the scene; transistors seemed to be miraculous things that made things smaller but still just as functional.

But the basic storyline is rather dumber than what you got from Marvel in those days.

===================

Special bonus: Photos of actual Cerenkov Radiation:

Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
kingklash

Post by kingklash »

CDs of Nadette's performance will be available in the lobby.
Akeche

Post by Akeche »

The art was a bit better - though often crude by today's fanboy standards. (Don heck who just died, was a brilliant visual storyteller whose art was ... not realistic, but perfectly sufficient for the purpose. He drew some of the best Hulk stories EVER.)

Just...? Don Heck passed 20 years ago D:
Sgt. Howard

Post by Sgt. Howard »

kingklash wrote:CDs of Nadette's performance will be available in the lobby.
Produced by GFHoward Productions at SlipShod Studios in beautiful downtown Malott, home of the national inbreeding championships. Backup guitar- G. Howard, backup Harmonica- G. Howard, Chief Gaff and lighting- J. Harris, Nadette's wardrobe by Mother Nature, "Long, long time" copyright 1970 Linda Ronstadt, G.F. Howard produced by Mr. and Mrs. Howard copyright 1954, IT IS ILLEGAL TO COPY, INHALE, INGEST or SMOKE THIS CD IN ANY MANNER OR FORM- prosecutors will be violated... uh... wait a mo...
Rule 17 of the Bombay Golf Course- "You shall play the ball where the monkey drops it,"
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

Akeche wrote: Just...? Don Heck passed 20 years ago D:

Cerenkov Radiation can do strange things to the Space/Time Continuum.

(Hey, look at that; Two 'U's...)

(waiting for the recorded live, Nadette bootlegs to hit the Dark Net...)
Srg fergot 'Do Not Fold, Staple, or otherwise Mutilate...'
[ why does the word 'bindle' come to mind? ]

But fer-reals though, Nadette is seemingly going to get her feelings 'hoit'. again. some-more.
Who cares about Pain, the Heart wants what it wants...
AnotherFairportfan

Akeche wrote:
Just...? Don Heck passed 20 years ago D:
Quite right . SOMEone from those days just recently died at 92. Not sure why i thought it was Heck.

Okay. i'm gonna be worrying about it till it comes back to me.
Sgt. Howard

Post by Sgt. Howard »

TazManiac wrote:
Akeche wrote: Just...? Don Heck passed 20 years ago D:

Cerenkov Radiation can do strange things to the Space/Time Continuum.

(Hey, look at that; Two 'U's...)

(waiting for the recorded live, Nadette bootlegs to hit the Dark Net...)
Srg fergot 'Do Not Fold, Staple, or otherwise Mutilate...'
[ why does the word 'bindle' come to mind? ]

"Do not spindle, fold or mutilate" Spindle being a spike on a stand that you would impale dealt-with letters on to remind you that you dealt with them. Too many idiots impaling their own hands caused it to lose popularity.

But fer-reals though, Nadette is seemingly going to get her feelings 'hoit'. again. some-more.
Who cares about Pain, the Heart wants what it wants...
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
Catawampus

Post by Catawampus »

AnotherFairportfan wrote:"No one can 'make' anyone gay".

But i'm still trying...
I think that Nadette is less trying to "turn" Atsali, and more that she's hoping to get Atsali to act on a side of herself that Atsali already has but simply hasn't consciously accepted or acted on yet. Whether that side of Atsali actually exists, and if it does whether Atsali is interested in developing it, is the question.

Nadette has had more than just a few suggestions that Atsali can at least find other girls--including Nadette specifically--to be attractive. Combine those with a besotted teenager's hopeful wishful thinking and Atsali's own admissions that she tends to be oblivious to things, and Nadette may assume that Atsali is simply needing to "wake up" and realise what's right in front of her. After all, so far she hasn't actually gotten any sort of a "no" from Atsali, or been turned away at all. Atsali's at most responded with apparent total obliviousness, which Nadette may be interpreting as an invitation to keep trying harder.
Akeche wrote:This might not end as well as Nadette expects.
Or it could turn out better than Nadette expects, but not in the way that Nadette expects!
Akeche wrote:Lemme put it this way, might even be some parallels with how Jet acted with Monica for me but... The body language, choice of words... It all screams, forgive the language, "I wanna FUCK you" instead of "I wanna be with you!"
They're sixteen years old, or thereabout. To them, both may mean about the same thing.
Wyvern wrote:
eee wrote:Nadette's a Seer. She may know what's coming.

Pablo says she can't see her own future.
And we know that Nadette only has an imperfect view of Atsali's. So she's probably inferring her own future based on a partial reading of Atsali's, at best. Which probably makes the reading even more open to various interpretations than is the average traditional prophesy.
Opus the Poet

Post by Opus the Poet »

GlytchMeister wrote: I'm up to date on Spinny. I couldn't stand those silver-age flashbacks. Please tell me that's not how it really used to be... >_<

[southern] Oh, dear lord. [/southern]
More archives. And I just finished Shotgun Shuffle. What are you people trying to do to me? :P
About how I remember it, I was an avid comics reader during the Silver Age. It is slightly exaggerated from what it was really like, but not all that much really. Silver Age writers had a very weak grasp of science and technology.
I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
Lee M

Post by Lee M »

Mark N wrote:
GlytchMeister wrote:Can somebody tell me where that pic came from? I keep thinking it's from El Goonish Shive, but I'm not sure. I don't remember Ellen's breasts being that big... Nor do I remember the word balloons being fully colored in.

And now it's bothering me, and I can't sleep, and I don't want to archive binge that massive archive just to figure this out...

The image in question is from Shotgun Shuffle a web-comic from Chris Rusche.
GlytchMeister, if you find an unidentified image, you can try downloading it, and then drag and drop from your folder into Google Image Search. (And yeah, maybe that does sound like I'm selling out to the evil corporate empire, but dammit, they give us so many wonderful toys...!)
The paper maker is the basest of all creatures. He deprives the beggar of his rags to make white sheets for editors to lie on.
--early 20th century school essay, from Fresh Howlers, ed. H. Cecil Hunt (UK, 1930)
Dave

Post by Dave »

Catawampus wrote:
Akeche wrote:Lemme put it this way, might even be some parallels with how Jet acted with Monica for me but... The body language, choice of words... It all screams, forgive the language, "I wanna FUCK you" instead of "I wanna be with you!"
They're sixteen years old, or thereabout. To them, both may mean about the same thing.
Cordelia: So does looking at guns really make girls wanna have sex? That's scary.
Xander: Yeah, I guess.
Cordelia: Well, does looking at guns make you wanna have sex?
Xander: I'm 17. Looking at linoleum makes me wanna have sex.