Not That Scary 2014-08-18

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
ChattaStarhawk

Re: Not That Scary 2014-08-18

Post by ChattaStarhawk »

Seems to me Monica's going to be a busy little bee... :)

If Georgette will be having a more personable relationship with her demons she'll need a bit of help adjusting to this new reality. (Calling Dr. M, you're needed for a follow-up!)
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Guidance needs to work on her "sizing" issues.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
zachariah

Post by zachariah »

First Guidance did not leave her human that is impossible for them. But that does not prevent her from being seen by Georgette as she is one of her demons. Most demons only whisper in the back of their persons mind. Some louder than others, but only voices. I suspect most people don't hear them at all and only those with certain traits do. Now people like Monica actually get visited by them and by demons from others. What is happening here is Georgette's demons gained a greater access to the awake mind than they had before the blob came. Monica entering and leaving probably helped that along. But the fact Georgette sought Monica out for help indicates she is more than a normal person. Some paranoral ability must exist for her to have sensed that Monica could help her.

This event does bring a whole new scope to "Get up and face the morning."
Ambush questions are fun. Watching the mental impact of them as they distort, or crumble, opinions based on faulty logic.
Julie

Post by Julie »

Anything new and unfamiliar is scary...and certainly a demon should know that after living within humans for so long. :P Silly demon!

So I guess we're switching storylines now that things are "resolved" for Atsali and the gang? :) Someone was asking about how Georgette has been doing since her encounter with M. I'm just glad this new storyline starts on a Monday. Ending/pausing one story on a Friday and starting a new one on a Monday just makes my OCD side happy.
"Just open your eyes
And see that life is beautiful."
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

zachariah wrote:This event does bring a whole new scope to "Get up and face the morning."
Brings a whole new meaning to "Morning Breath." Ewww.
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

Aed wrote:
AnotherFairportfan wrote:MONSTERS! from. the. ID!

Forbidden Planet :ugeek:

Yeah.... one of my favorites, I even had my hand on this last night but deferred to 'Flying Leathernecks' instead...

Switching gears,
Georgette is a refreshing sorbet in terms of body-type to the more curvy characters. (mmmm, tina....)

Paul's doing a decent job with developing a given character's 'look' as well as personality.
as363

Post by as363 »

Ah- Monday morning news (emphasis on New) . Great way to start the week off- should lead to some interesting developments. But hopefully down the line we have one single with Kat and the kids doing a normal outing (shopping etc.) Be a nice wrap-up on that particular story line.
Bathorys Daughter

Post by Bathorys Daughter »

With this wealth of new characters in the series, I begin to wonder if some of them are being set up as future expendable players. It would be a way to put pathos and grief into the series and really make us feel it. So far no one we really care about has died (permanently). It takes a while to make new characters lovable and a "fixture" in the stories and Paul is taking the time to do that quite well. It won't likely happen any time soon, but I do sometimes wonder ...
A society should not be judged on how it treats its outstanding citizens but by how it treats its criminals... ~ Fyodor Dostoevsky.
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

Bathorys Daughter wrote:With this wealth of new characters in the series, I begin to wonder if some of them are being set up as future expendable players. It would be a way to put pathos and grief into the series and really make us feel it. So far no one we really care about has died (permanently). It takes a while to make new characters lovable and a "fixture" in the stories and Paul is taking the time to do that quite well. It won't likely happen any time soon, but I do sometimes wonder ...
Cf. Inazuma in Usagi Yojimbo.

The original plan was for Something Worse Than Death to happen to an established character, but he changed his mind and introduced Inazuma, a brilliant swordswoman. She made several appearances, beginning with the story of her quest to avenge her husband's murder, and later something of a foil for Usagi.

And, by the time for her to meet her Fate Immensely Worse Than Death, she was a fan favourite, and boy did he hear from her fans.
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
Catawampus

Post by Catawampus »

Well, that's one way to clear the waking-up cobwebs out of one's mind.
as363 wrote:But hopefully down the line we have one single with Kat and the kids doing a normal outing (shopping etc.) Be a nice wrap-up on that particular story line.
I wonder if Castela will get into the whole Tinker Bell thing that kids seem to be going wild over these days.
AnotherFairportfan wrote:Cf. Inazuma in Usagi Yojimbo.
I have never heard of that show/anime/manga/whatever and don't really have any strong inclination to look it up, but now I have the most wonderful image in my mind of Toshiro Mifune portraying a rabbit.
kingklash

Post by kingklash »

Catawampus wrote:Well, that's one way to clear the waking-up cobwebs out of one's mind.
as363 wrote:But hopefully down the line we have one single with Kat and the kids doing a normal outing (shopping etc.) Be a nice wrap-up on that particular story line.
I wonder if Castela will get into the whole Tinker Bell thing that kids seem to be going wild over these days.
AnotherFairportfan wrote:Cf. Inazuma in Usagi Yojimbo.
I have never heard of that show/anime/manga/whatever and don't really have any strong inclination to look it up, but now I have the most wonderful image in my mind of Toshiro Mifune portraying a rabbit.
Do so. You won't be sorry.
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

Usagi Yojimbo - The Last Request

Stop motion prototype for a potential movie of that story.
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
AnotherFairportfan

Catawampus wrote:I have never heard of that show/anime/manga/whatever and don't really have any strong inclination to look it up, but now I have the most wonderful image in my mind of Toshiro Mifune portraying a rabbit.
Heh. Usagi's first master, who was killed in battle was named Lord Mifune. The stories also feature "Lone Goat and Kid", Zatoino, the blind swordspig and a lot of other Good Stuff.

Stan Sakai (also the colorer on Groo the Wanderer) researches Japan of the period meticulously and works a lot of real history and legends into his comics. (Usagi has crossed over wit the Teenage Mutant Turtles more than once, both in comics and animation.)

Any fan of Japanese culture in general, more specifically samurai films and most precisely Kurosawa needs to check Usagi out.

Usagi works with the local prefect to solve some nasty killings:

Inazuma ("Flash of Lightning") in her first appearance:

Inazuma after the Bad Thing happens:

Do i need to say anything?

Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
AnotherFairportfan

Dave

Post by Dave »

zachariah wrote:First Guidance did not leave her human that is impossible for them. But that does not prevent her from being seen by Georgette as she is one of her demons. Most demons only whisper in the back of their persons mind. Some louder than others, but only voices. I suspect most people don't hear them at all and only those with certain traits do. Now people like Monica actually get visited by them and by demons from others. What is happening here is Georgette's demons gained a greater access to the awake mind than they had before the blob came.
Since we've now (next day) seen that Guidance is physically present in the "real world", solidly enough that Georgette can hang from her (well, through her) in midair, it seems clear that she's not just a vision or a "seeing". Like Monica's demons, and Tina's, and like Conscience, Guidance (and Dogbunny, and probably Georgette's other demons) is now capable of physical manifestation.

What was impossible, isn't impossible any longer. Monica changed the game.
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

Jeeze, anybody get the feeling a Multi-plot-train-wreck is on the way? Atsali just became the Alpha Girl, Castela is some sort of Forest Eldrich Abomination made cute, and Georgette is exhibiting the same Demon Behavior as Monica was a long time ago. And let's not forget the two unresolved prophesies and the whole deal with Bia's fresh start.
[HanSolo] I got a bad feeling about this... [/HanSolo]
He's mister GlytchMeister, he's mister code
He's mister exploiter, he's mister ones and zeros
They call me GlytchMeister, whatever I touch
Starts to glitch in my clutch!
I'm too much!
scantrontb

Post by scantrontb »

Dave wrote:
zachariah wrote:First Guidance did not leave her human that is impossible for them. But that does not prevent her from being seen by Georgette as she is one of her demons. Most demons only whisper in the back of their persons mind. Some louder than others, but only voices. I suspect most people don't hear them at all and only those with certain traits do. Now people like Monica actually get visited by them and by demons from others. What is happening here is Georgette's demons gained a greater access to the awake mind than they had before the blob came.
Since we've now (next day) seen that Guidance is physically present in the "real world", solidly enough that Georgette can hang from her (well, through her) in midair, it seems clear that she's not just a vision or a "seeing". Like Monica's demons, and Tina's, and like Conscience, Guidance (and Dogbunny, and probably Georgette's other demons) is now capable of physical manifestation.

i think it's a side effect of Monica's order? / suggestion? for Guidance to "come get me, if you need any help" if Guidance COULDN'T leave her Host, then how could she get Monica?... ergo, if Guidance is to get her she *MUST* be able to leave Georgette, therefore i would say that the OTHER demons can as well, because what if Guidance was somehow incapacitated in that same hypothetical emergency? who would do the going and getting then?...
Don't planto mihi adveho illac
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

scantrontb wrote:
Dave wrote:

i think it's a side effect of Monica's order? / suggestion? for Guidance to "come get me, if you need any help" if Guidance COULDN'T leave her Host, then how could she get Monica?... ergo, if Guidance is to get her she *MUST* be able to leave Georgette, therefore i would say that the OTHER demons can as well, because what if Guidance was somehow incapacitated in that same hypothetical emergency? who would do the going and getting then?...
Woah, do you think maybe this universe has a version of The Will And The Word?
(Magic governed by strict laws of grammar; examples include the sorcery in The Belgariad and The Mallorean book series by David Eddings and the magic seen in The Inheritance Trilogy by Christopher Paolini)
If this is true, my whole understanding of the Wapsiverse has just been turned on its head... And my mind thoroughly blown.
I'm too much!
Dave

Post by Dave »

GlytchMeister wrote:Woah, do you think maybe this universe has a version of The Will And The Word?
(Magic governed by strict laws of grammar; examples include the sorcery in The Belgariad and The Mallorean book series by David Eddings and the magic seen in The Inheritance Trilogy by Christopher Paolini)
If this is true, my whole understanding of the Wapsiverse has just been turned on its head... And my mind thoroughly blown.
We haven't seen any other explicit, general case of a Power of Command of that sort in the Wapsiverse, as far as i can recall. The demons' compulsion power is the closest thing, but it works on people and their wills, not on the structure of the world.

My guess is that it wasn't Monica's "come find me" instruction that enabled Georgette's demons to exit. Rather, it was Monica's original entrance to Georgette's quantum demon-space which "punched a tunnel". Her entrance was (I think) possible in the first place, only because she's the Jaguar Girl... that power seems to come with the job, according to what Guidance said.

Her "come find me" instructions may well be what clued off Guidance to the fact that she and Georgette's other demons now have a previously-impossible freedom of movement and action. From what Guidance said before, I imagine she's aware that this brings a new responsibility (and danger) as well... don't mess up other people, 'cause the sphinxes will getchoo!
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

Dave wrote:
GlytchMeister wrote:Woah, do you think maybe this universe has a version of The Will And The Word?
We haven't seen any other explicit, general case of a Power of Command of that sort in the Wapsiverse, as far as i can recall. The demons' compulsion power is the closest thing, but it works on people and their wills, not on the structure of the world.

My guess is that it wasn't Monica's "come find me" instruction that enabled Georgette's demons to exit. Rather, it was Monica's original entrance to Georgette's quantum demon-space which "punched a tunnel". Her entrance was (I think) possible in the first place, only because she's the Jaguar Girl... that power seems to come with the job, according to what Guidance said.

Her "come find me" instructions may well be what clued off Guidance to the fact that she and Georgette's other demons now have a previously-impossible freedom of movement and action. From what Guidance said before, I imagine she's aware that this brings a new responsibility (and danger) as well... don't mess up other people, 'cause the sphinxes will getchoo!
So it's more like Monica opened up the door in, but didn't lock it behind her. And now Georgette's demons can use the door too.
Heck, this might be a wormhole we're talking about. And a being such as Monica, a sub-Titan Jaguar Girl Demon Shepherd etc. etc. has oodles of power. It's probably reasonable to think perhaps wormholes have limited capacity. Shoving too much stuff (matter, energy, or oogy-boogy quantum Wapsi power) might alter a wormhole's behavior, changing it from a temporary wormhole that can close completely to a semi- or fully-permanent wormhole that needs to be re-altered to completely close.
Maybe Monica's mere passage through the Wapsiverse has an impact on "oogy-boogy quantum Wapsi power" in a manner similar to a massive object's effect on the space-time continuum.
Wow, I haven't geek end out like this for a while. Feels nice, lol. :geek:
I'm too much!