Not exactly SteamPunk...

Just a little nook for SteamPunk folks to talk shop, costuming/cosplay, media, and rub elbows.

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

DinkyInky

Not exactly SteamPunk...

Post by DinkyInky »

...but since it's costuming, I figured I'd post it here.

As I mentioned earlier, I'm working on a Sherlock Holmes Costume for my wee one. I'm partially basing it off of Jeremy Brett's look. I'm doing an Inverness coat and Deerstalker, a formal shirt and vest with an ascot similar to Brett's Homes. I couldn't find the wool tweed, so I'm using a non-wool Houndstooth fabric.

I have an antique spyglass on a cord, and a large spyglass that's more kid friendly, and deciding on which to let out of the house.

Does anyone here know a kid-safe way to make a pipe self-smoke?

Here's some past endeavors on costumes:

I am never attempting to make a tricorne again. Ever. That was awful, and modifying an adult prefab one at the last minute because they sent the wrong one? Even worse.
All outfits were hand sewn(Yes, the patch is hand embroidered). I hope to have it machine done this year, barring another Murphy incident.

He also wants me to make a Steam version of the RGB proton pack(safer than nuclear, right?). I love his imagination, even when it kills my wrists.

Apologies in advance about the full images. I can't get the links to work without requiring the password.

P.S.--I'll post WIP and finished pics when done.
Yanno how some people have Angels/Devils for a conscience? I have a Dark Elf ShadowKnight and a Half Elf Ranger for mine. The really bad part is when they agree on something.

Aphyon chu kissa whol l'jaed.
--Safyr Drathmir
NOTDilbert

Re: Not exactly SteamPunk...

Post by NOTDilbert »

As to the pipe smoke:

1) Block up the pipestem and light an incense cone in the bowl. If it's a pipe with the cover, even safer. It'll smell better than smouldering pipeweed, anyway.

2) Check out Romance Detective Jamie over at Girls With Slingshots. She has a bubble pipe. Bonus points for you if you figure out how to do the heart-shaped bubbles. :)
"Imagination is more important than Knowledge" - Albert Einstein
"History doesn't repeat itself, but it DOES rhyme" - Mark Twain
"Always. Expect. Ninjas." - Syndey Scoville
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

Interesting idea. Now to see if I can find incense small enough for the pipe. Thank you!
Yanno how some people have Angels/Devils for a conscience? I have a Dark Elf ShadowKnight and a Half Elf Ranger for mine. The really bad part is when they agree on something.

--Safyr Drathmir
shadowinthelight

Post by shadowinthelight »

Great costumes. I wish I had more stuff like that when I was little. Store bought costumes rarely compare.
DinkyInky wrote:Interesting idea. Now to see if I can find incense small enough for the pipe. Thank you!
Maybe try cutting the tip off a larger cone.
Julie, about Wapsi Square wrote:Oh goodness yes. So much paranormal!

Image My deviantART and YouTube.
I'm done thinking for today! It's caused me enough trouble!
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

Reworking the pattern is going rougher than I thought(darn Invernesse Coat). Thanks for the idea guys. Will test it later and post.

--Safyr Drathmir
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

Deerstalker? Check.
Invernesse Coat? Check.
Magnifying Glass? Check.
Pipe? Check.

My wee one is ready to solve mysteries.
We decided to not do the smoking bit for more than a few pics, because with the crazy winds, it keeps either going out, or blowing in faces. Lighting's wonky, so hopefully I can get a good one before trick-or-treating.

--Safyr Drathmir
Mark N

Post by Mark N »

DinkyInky wrote:Deerstalker? Check.
Invernesse Coat? Check.
Magnifying Glass? Check.
Pipe? Check.

We decided to not do the smoking bit for more than a few pics, because with the crazy winds, it keeps either going out, or blowing in faces. Lighting's wonky, so hopefully I can get a good one before trick-or-treating.
Safety first my dear is always a good way to go.
This message is brought to you by the "Let the artist know how much you LOVE his work" council.
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

DinkyInky wrote:Deerstalker? Check.
Invernesse Coat? Check.
Magnifying Glass? Check.
Pipe? Check.

Of course, you know...

Pics, or it didn't happen! :mrgreen:

(What can I say, someone had to do it... :roll: )
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

My wrists and hands are begging for my slow and painful demise. I still need to get some hat felting and finish the deerstalker(I stuffed a ballcap into it to hold it until I could get some).

It's becoming clear that I need a new camera.

--Safyr Drathmir
Julie

Post by Julie »

Bad camera aside, I LOVE that costume! :)
"Just open your eyes
And see that life is beautiful."
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

Most excellent...
And I think it's wonderful that he wants to Holmes at his age...

:)
"The price of perfection is prohibitive." - Anonymous
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

I've gotten a bit of flack lately for reading him some of the stories, but I more or less ignore them. As long as it isn't something like Twilight, I see no harm in reading adult aged books to him. I've read "A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court" to him(after he saw the movie with friends), and he liked the book better. The way I figure it, the more he reads, the more he learns. He gets inspired by things in stories, and learns the hows and whys.

We've even watched several Sherlock Holmes series and movies. His favourite(without my input) is Jeremy Brett.

--Safyr Drathmir
Mark N

Post by Mark N »

DinkyInky wrote:I've gotten a bit of flack lately for reading him some of the stories, but I more or less ignore them. As long as it isn't something like Twilight, I see no harm in reading adult aged books to him. I've read "A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court" to him(after he saw the movie with friends), and he liked the book better. The way I figure it, the more he reads, the more he learns. He gets inspired by things in stories, and learns the hows and whys.

We've even watched several Sherlock Holmes series and movies. His favourite(without my input) is Jeremy Brett.
With Holmes I think the big problem will come when he finally asks you about the 7% solution (explaining about drug usage can be tricky with a child, especially a precocious one like yours seems to be.) It is probably best to stick to the original Holmes books written by Arthur Conan Doyle and not the ones written by other authors (Like The 7 % Solution)
This message is brought to you by the "Let the artist know how much you LOVE his work" council.
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

lake_wrangler wrote: Pics, or it didn't happen! :mrgreen:

(What can I say, someone had to do it... :roll: )
DinkyInky wrote:My wrists and hands are begging for my slow and painful demise. I still need to get some hat felting and finish the deerstalker(I stuffed a ballcap into it to hold it until I could get some).

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v633/ ... C04993.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v633/ ... C04994.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v633/ ... C04995.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v633/ ... C04996.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v633/ ... C04997.jpg

OK, I guess it did happen... ;)

I am thoroughly impressed by the quality of the workmanship.

And I wouldn't worry about reading him Sherlock Holmes. Not that I particularly know about the contents, but I am guessing there would not be much gore, or other such undesirables in them... And it's bound to make him smart and inquisitive. Go for it! There's a lot worse out there that you could do...
Mark N

Post by Mark N »

DinkyInky wrote:My wrists and hands are begging for my slow and painful demise. I still need to get some hat felting and finish the deerstalker(I stuffed a ballcap into it to hold it until I could get some).

Your work is wonderful, Have you by any chance worked with any costuming companies or community theater groups because you are that good. (Yes I used to be in theater in high school and some of the feelings are still there)
As for the camera, money is for the important things; There is always someone around with a camera or phone that can take shots for you.
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

lake_wrangler wrote:OK, I guess it did happen... ;)

I am thoroughly impressed by the quality of the workmanship.

And I wouldn't worry about reading him Sherlock Holmes. Not that I particularly know about the contents, but I am guessing there would not be much gore, or other such undesirables in them... And it's bound to make him smart and inquisitive. Go for it! There's a lot worse out there that you could do...
Thanks. I'm still a far cry from my Mother, but as they say, practice makes perfect. There is descriptive gore, but with explanations, it can be told tastefully. as someone said earlier, the 7% solution is the big issue. I'm sure I will have a HUGE discussion on how brilliant people can do foolish things.
Mark N wrote:Your work is wonderful, Have you by any chance worked with any costuming companies or community theater groups because you are that good. (Yes I used to be in theater in high school and some of the feelings are still there)
As for the camera, money is for the important things; There is always someone around with a camera or phone that can take shots for you.
Nope. My Mother is a tailor, and I remember her making me outfits and costumes, and so I pass it on. She also has taught me over the years to do simple tailoring bits(hemming pants can get expensive after a while), so I learned by watching and trial and error(turning old torn jeans into capri's).

These were taken by my son's camera(a cheap HP Photosmart, mine was a not so cheap Sony):

--Safyr Drathmir
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

Interesting... is the coat hanging by pins because you ran out of time to make button holes? Everything else about it is practically flawless...

And I don't know what word would apply to describe your son's attitude, but he sure looks like he's living the part. Nicely done.
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

lake_wrangler wrote:Interesting... is the coat hanging by pins because you ran out of time to make button holes? Everything else about it is practically flawless...

And I don't know what word would apply to describe your son's attitude, but he sure looks like he's living the part. Nicely done.
I have Carpal Tunnel, and he noticed my pain, so he told me to wait until I felt better to finish the buttonholes and capelet chain. He's such a ham. There are days I think he'll be a fine stage actor, with the way he throws himself into any part he tries to play. The year he was Captain Jack Sparrow, he did the "Why's the Rum Gone?" skit with a girl that knew the part. When it was done, her mother and I both facepalmed at not recording it!

--Safyr Drathmir
Mark N

Post by Mark N »

DinkyInky wrote:
lake_wrangler wrote:Interesting... is the coat hanging by pins because you ran out of time to make button holes? Everything else about it is practically flawless...

I have Carpal Tunnel, and he noticed my pain, so he told me to wait until I felt better to finish the buttonholes and capelet chain. He's such a ham. There are days I think he'll be a fine stage actor, with the way he throws himself into any part he tries to play. The year he was Captain Jack Sparrow, he did the "Why's the Rum Gone?" skit with a girl that knew the part. When it was done, her mother and I both facepalmed at not recording it!
Sounds like he (and his friend) will be members of a Thespian Troupe in High School (Hopefully they will still exist when he gets there). Acting can teach so many wonderful talents such as public speaking and debate.
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

You know, looking at the photos again, I'd say that coat is about...

Mary Poppins-sized.

*Pulls out tape measure, measures coat*

Yep, there it is: "Mary Poppins, practically perfect in every way."