Tea talk

Just a little nook for SteamPunk folks to talk shop, costuming/cosplay, media, and rub elbows.

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

TazManiac

Re: Tea talk

Post by TazManiac »

I've just been there http://www.adagio.com/sherlock/ and all can say at this point is;

"Youz'e crazy baby..."

I'd maybe like to taste those combination but I likely couldn't abide it for long; too many of what I like mixed together in with other, stuff.

(I visited a new friend this last week and I forgot how much I liked Jasmine Tea, until she served me some. Teabag and all, still it was evocative...)

At the moment I'm sipping Trader Joe's Black Tea (again, via bag, to my shame) and doubled up too boot. With light brown sugar to taste...

Man, do I need to get hence to the Apothecary and there acquire the real.
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

TazManiac wrote:I've just been there http://www.adagio.com/sherlock/ and all can say at this point is;

"Youz'e crazy baby..."

I'd maybe like to taste those combination but I likely couldn't abide it for long; too many of what I like mixed together in with other, stuff.

(I visited a new friend this last week and I forgot how much I liked Jasmine Tea, until she served me some. Teabag and all, still it was evocative...)

At the moment I'm sipping Trader Joe's Black Tea (again, via bag, to my shame) and doubled up too boot. With light brown sugar to taste...

Man, do I need to get hence to the Apothecary and there acquire the real.
Sampler tins are very affordable, and samplers of the base teas are as well. One sample fandom tin makes four of my 24oz teapot worth of tea.

I wasn't keen on trying their Lapsang Souchong plain until I tasted it in Sherlock fandom blend. It's just the right amount of smoke, without getting too piney. I can still taste the base tea behind it.

If you like light brown sugar, get yourself a jug of the Raw Demerara crystals. I find light brown is too...greasy on my palette. Raw sugar has the light molasses bite without that strange greasy feeling I get from the brown sugars.

Then again, when I want a Cajun delight(what my Cajun friend called it), I make my dark roast coffee with a generous amount of Chicory, done up in a French Press, a good dollop of molasses, and heavy cream. I'm presently upset that Community isn't selling their Chicory in stores anymore, unless preblended in crap coffee. Ordering it online is outrageous. $3.99 per 12 oz bag...$7.95 shipping. I really want some, so I might cave soon...

Adagio's Jasmine Phoenix Pearls are amazing, as are the Fujian Jasmine Pearls. $7 and $9 per samples respectively. Phoenix are larger pearls, and have different notes if you like trying Jasmines.
I'll shoot you a try it GC if you want, PM an email addy.
Yanno how some people have Angels/Devils for a conscience? I have a Dark Elf ShadowKnight and a Half Elf Ranger for mine. The really bad part is when they agree on something.

Aphyon chu kissa whol l'jaed.
--Safyr Drathmir
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

So...

I finally remember I have a whistler kettle...

But it's huge. The contents of three of my ceramic pots fit in it nicely.

Do I really need to brew 72 oz of the same tea at a time?

Gooodness, the last time I did that, I was still drinking Lipton.

*whines*

I feel like I'm neglecting this fine vessel by not using it.

So today's tea is Dark World

This was an inspired choice from my son, watching his nerdy Uncle(and me too if my brother was away) play the various Zelda games.

It smells like Turtles in the bag, all caramel, pecan, chocolate sort of earthiness.
Brewed, it continued that, but added that hint of cinnamon, so it was almost like drinking Turtles cocoa, so much so, we topped it with heavy cream. It needed no sweet, but just a touch made the chocolate notes pop.

Brewed this in my trusty Rose Parade ceramic teapot.

I'm torn.

I just bought two infusers from the same place. One fits better in my teapot, but the chain keeps turning black, and my tea gets fouled if I leave it too long. The other has to be squashed in, but doesn't change colour.

Same store, same company produced it, bought the same day. I can't change the chains, because the one I have to squish has the rings welded shut.

It's been a few days, so I don't believe they'll exchange it either.

Debating on making a macrame braided cord for it, though part of me wants to show the company the broad range in quality of the items they are tagging together under the same label.
Yanno how some people have Angels/Devils for a conscience? I have a Dark Elf ShadowKnight and a Half Elf Ranger for mine. The really bad part is when they agree on something.

--Safyr Drathmir
Catawampus

Post by Catawampus »

DinkyInky wrote:Do I really need to brew 72 oz of the same tea at a time?
Why not one ounce of seventy-two different teas?
I just bought two infusers from the same place. One fits better in my teapot, but the chain keeps turning black, and my tea gets fouled if I leave it too long. The other has to be squashed in, but doesn't change colour.

Same store, same company produced it, bought the same day. I can't change the chains, because the one I have to squish has the rings welded shut.

Debating on making a macrame braided cord for it, though part of me wants to show the company the broad range in quality of the items they are tagging together under the same label.
Dig out the ol' beakers and solvents and ions and try a little bit of do-it-yourself electroplating?
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

Catawampus wrote:

Dig out the ol' beakers and solvents and ions and try a little bit of do-it-yourself electroplating?
Um, no. Measuring out tea leaves to brew an ounce of tea is ridiculously more trouble than worth.

Food grade electroplating is not homebrew.

Easier to made a fabric cord anyway. I'm going to go later and complain about the chain, and unless they offer a new one, I'll just take it home.

--Safyr Drathmir
Sgt. Howard

Post by Sgt. Howard »

DinkyInky wrote:
Catawampus wrote:

Um, no. Measuring out tea leaves to brew an ounce of tea is ridiculously more trouble than worth.

Easier to made a fabric cord anyway. I'm going to go later and complain about the chain, and unless they offer a new one, I'll just take it home.
I KNOW I've seen rather inexpensive stainless steel necklaces, 440 stuff, what they make surgical instruments out of- wouldn't THAT work?
Rule 17 of the Bombay Golf Course- "You shall play the ball where the monkey drops it,"
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

DinkyInky wrote:
Catawampus wrote:
DinkyInky wrote:I just bought two infusers from the same place. One fits better in my teapot, but the chain keeps turning black, and my tea gets fouled if I leave it too long. The other has to be squashed in, but doesn't change colour.

Sgt. Howard wrote:I KNOW I've seen rather inexpensive stainless steel necklaces, 440 stuff, what they make surgical instruments out of- wouldn't THAT work?
Except stainless steel for jewelry isn't branded food safe. They put finishing stuff on it to keep it brilliant...not that it ever is around me. I don't handle my infusers long enough to pit them, as the other infuser isn't corroded.

I'm just annoyed that the chain is corroded from making a few pots of tea.

--Safyr Drathmir
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

Arrh', there be snippage ahead...
DinkyInky wrote: Do I really need to brew 72 oz of the same tea at a time?
You don't have to fill it all the way up to get it some use from time to time.
Fill the 'pouring kettle' first to get the amount, pour that water into 'the Whistler', then heat and reverse the process.

I'm torn.

Last first; Heck Yeah, tell em what the experience as a consumer has been. They might very well be sourcing products and materials from who knows how many sources, most of them somewhere where the costs are cheaper than here; with less corresponding EPA and consumer outwatch. Tell em.

That said, since only one ring, perhaps two at the most need be 'adjusted', I say choose your best two parts and combine them; the one that fits and the chain that wont tarnish. A good stout pair of snippers (not wire cutters meant for cutting copper wire) will open up that last ring, wich you can then recrimp in placeon the other 'fits-better' part.

(I started this reply some time ago and am just now hitting 'send'...)
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

TazManiac wrote:Arrh', there be snippage ahead...
DinkyInky wrote: Do I really need to brew 72 oz of the same tea at a time?
You don't have to fill it all the way up to get it some use from time to time.
Fill the 'pouring kettle' first to get the amount, pour that water into 'the Whistler', then heat and reverse the process.

I'm torn.

Last first; Heck Yeah, tell em what the experience as a consumer has been. They might very well be sourcing products and materials from who knows how many sources, most of them somewhere where the costs are cheaper than here; with less corresponding EPA and consumer outwatch. Tell em.

That said, since only one ring, perhaps two at the most need be 'adjusted', I say choose your best two parts and combine them; the one that fits and the chain that wont tarnish. A good stout pair of snippers (not wire cutters meant for cutting copper wire) will open up that last ring, wich you can then recrimp in placeon the other 'fits-better' part.

(I started this reply some time ago and am just now hitting 'send'...)
The whistler doesn't whistle, sort of strangled warble with water that low, but yeah, that's what I've been doing.

The infuser that doesn't fit without squishing has stainless rings that are welded shut. It doesn't corrode because there's no openings in the rings. It's made nice and I'm not gonna break it.

The one that fits without squishing has generic rings only crimped so-so.

Yeah, I think I'll just make a cord for it. The other one will be for maybe a mason jar of sun tea.

Thanks eveeyone for the suggestions. I was just whining because I couldn't believe the difference in the two.

--Safyr Drathmir
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

s'OK, I find your whining both agreeable and refreshing...

PS- I'm currently finishing off a Starbucks Cafe Mocha (damn thing was nearly FIVE DOLLARS!) but I got a new, if short term computer project today, and it's raining out, so Splurged.

Still, I'd like to stock up on some nominal amounts of worthy teas; gunpowder & puh-er & jasmine & maybe some of that red roos stuff & a quality 'plain' green loose-leaf.
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

TazManiac wrote:s'OK, I find your whining both agreeable and refreshing...

PS- I'm currently finishing off a Starbucks Cafe Mocha (damn thing was nearly FIVE DOLLARS!) but I got a new, if short term computer project today, and it's raining out, so Splurged.

Still, I'd like to stock up on some nominal amounts of worthy teas; gunpowder & puh-er & jasmine & maybe some of that red roos stuff & a quality 'plain' green loose-leaf.
If you prefer bagged tea, and have a Ten Ren's anywhere near, they do really, really, really good Jasmine, and Pu-erh teas(though the overall fishy/mushroom earthiness first sip on all quality ones gets to me. I'm told if you put a dessicant packet in on first purchase of loose or paper wrapped pu-erh teas that lessens the occurrance). I'm fond of their hibiscus spice tea for stomach upset.

Adagios loose gunpowder green is great.

(Only one better I found at a tiny apothecary in the dark corner of Chicago's Chinatown. For me, it was worth dealing with the inked arrogant thugs for it, though after the second time I went there, they gave me a wide berth...even years later.)

I've found when buying the large tins, that buying portion bags and packing it in those, then freezer bags keeps the tea better. It's work I do gladly as my seasonal tea tastes shift.

Pu-erh pearls are huge, and unlike all other teas, resteeping is possible because nobody ever brews enough water to unfurl the pearl...from all reviews of them.

Once I have regained capital(I spoiled my son with hair glosses, soaps, teas, and bath drops for Valentine's), I'm debating ordering samples to give a personal, and not secondhand review of them.

--Safyr Drathmir
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

Okay, so the stainless steel mesh tea infuser had a silvery plated copper core chain. That's why my tea turned black and pennies. I made a cotton twist string pull for that, and I plan on showing the shoppe I bought them in just how lousy the chains are. That's two I've lost this way.

Only one has welded links of stainless, and the brass core jump ring is the only bad part of that one, and I think I can fix that issue with a tie-on instead of jump rings...or a quick trip for 440 stainless jewelry findings at the dangerous place.

--Safyr Drathmir
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

Makes you wonder just how bad is a place that the Dinkster calls dangerous... :shock:
"The price of perfection is prohibitive." - Anonymous
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

Jabberwonky wrote:Makes you wonder just how bad is a place that the Dinkster calls dangerous... :shock:
Tuchanka.
He's mister GlytchMeister, he's mister code
He's mister exploiter, he's mister ones and zeros
They call me GlytchMeister, whatever I touch
Starts to glitch in my clutch!
I'm too much!
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

Jabberwonky wrote:Makes you wonder just how bad is a place that the Dinkster calls dangerous... :shock:
Well, seeing as how they sell .925 Sterling Silver 440 stainless, and 950 platinum jewelry findings, I'd say a craft store that sells fine quality jewelry making supplies.

Since I do make jewelry from time to time, usually while quarantining myself while sick, that place is insanely dangerous.

I have to have friends around me whenever I place a Ring Lord order online, to prevent me from buying more than $100-50 worth of supplies at a time, then talk me out of it eleven months out of the year.

I have base metal allergies. As such, I buy Niobium wire from them and make my earring wires and some minor findings like bead pins. If I want Titanium, I'll buy the earring hooks pre-made from them, as I still have a scar from the last time I tried to make them on my own.

--Safyr Drathmir
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

DinkyInky wrote:
Well, seeing as how they sell .925 Sterling Silver 440 stainless, and 950 platinum jewelry findings, I'd say a craft store that sells fine quality jewelry making supplies.

Since I do make jewelry from time to time, usually while quarantining myself while sick, that place is insanely dangerous.

I have to have friends around me whenever I place a Ring Lord order online, to prevent me from buying more than $100-50 worth of supplies at a time, then talk me out of it eleven months out of the year.

I have base metal allergies. As such, I buy Niobium wire from them and make my earring wires and some minor findings like bead pins. If I want Titanium, I'll buy the earring hooks pre-made from them, as I still have a scar from the last time I tried to make them on my own.
I'm that way with 'Half-Price Books'. It's very dangerous for my budget to go in there. I keep telling myself that I'm going to order maille rings and do that again. And I've been warned that the titanium rings are almost unworkable if you haven't built your wrists up...
"The price of perfection is prohibitive." - Anonymous
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

Jabberwonky wrote:
DinkyInky wrote:

I'm that way with 'Half-Price Books'. It's very dangerous for my budget to go in there. I keep telling myself that I'm going to order maille rings and do that again. And I've been warned that the titanium rings are almost unworkable if you haven't built your wrists up...
Very true. I was only able to manage after spending years working with galvanized steel making silly things like pocket tees, coasters, clothesline, and a gag gift for my brother's friend(a chainmail flogger). Graduated to working with titanium rings...which is why I though making my own earwires was okay. Big, fat, expensive mistake.

Hastings, half-price and Owls books are ebil. Everytime I look online at books IspendwaytoomuchmoneyohGodwhydidIlookattheirlistsagainpleaseheavenhelpme?

--Safyr Drathmir
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

chainmail flogger? :shock: :oops: At first thought, that seems like a great way to cause serious harm.

On second thought, however... Well, with fine enough and light enough chainmail... Hmm... That might actually work fairly well. ;)
I'm too much!
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

GlytchMeister wrote:chainmail flogger? :shock: :oops: At first thought, that seems like a great way to cause serious harm.

On second thought, however... Well, with fine enough and light enough chainmail... Hmm... That might actually work fairly well. ;)
galvanized steel. Very heavy. I hit a burgler with one once...very nasty.

--Safyr Drathmir
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

Ya see, there's a pretty wide line between "Safe BDSM Practices" and "Real weapons and torture devices."

I can imagine a light and fine chainmail flogger being employed in a safe and proper BDSM manner. Oh, yeah, it would sting like hell, but that's sort of the point.

But that? What you made is probably closer to a flail or something than a... A... A toy.
I'm too much!