Needing ideas

Just a little nook for SteamPunk folks to talk shop, costuming/cosplay, media, and rub elbows.

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Jabberwonky

Re: Needing ideas

Post by Jabberwonky »

Ha! There are no 'Head Shops' any more. Smoking and Smoking Accessories shops maybe...Planet K, the local version of this has many prominent signs that warn "If you say this purchase is for smoking anything other than tobacco, it will not be sold to you".
"The price of perfection is prohibitive." - Anonymous
Mark N

Post by Mark N »

Jabberwonky wrote:Ha! There are no 'Head Shops' any more. Smoking and Smoking Accessories shops maybe...Planet K, the local version of this has many prominent signs that warn "If you say this purchase is for smoking anything other than tobacco, it will not be sold to you".
As I have said before. sometimes my language usage betrays my age.
This message is brought to you by the "Let the artist know how much you LOVE his work" council.
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

Mark N wrote:
Jabberwonky wrote:Ha! There are no 'Head Shops' any more. Smoking and Smoking Accessories shops maybe...Planet K, the local version of this has many prominent signs that warn "If you say this purchase is for smoking anything other than tobacco, it will not be sold to you".
As I have said before. sometimes my language usage betrays my age.
Yeah, I still call 'em head shops, too...
"The price of perfection is prohibitive." - Anonymous
NOTDilbert

Post by NOTDilbert »

Hey Ms. Dinky - got an idea (uh, oh) -

Have you tried some of the tricks furniture re-finishers use to make not-wood look like wood?

One of the simplest is yellow paint (yes, paint) and red stain. First, the two must be compatible - if the paint-store guy doesn't know, often the product literature says, but if not, a test on a scrap will provide proof. Second, paint the target object with the mellow yellow (I don't recommend primary or neons, a mustardy near-brown was what I saw used) and let dry thoroughly. Third, take a crumpled piece of stiff paper (typing paper, thick paper towels, etc.), dip in a little stain, and wipe with the crumpled paper to create grain, twist a bit to create burl, etc. If you miss any small spots, a small brush can streak on some grain. Remember, the only thing God used a ruler on was the horizon - avoid straight! Let dry according to manufacturers' directions, then if you like, seal with a compatible clear coat.

I saw a friend do this to a cheap particle-board-and-veneer headboard,when he was finished it looked like burly maple....

This might rescue the poisoned pipe if the lout - I mean, seller - won't cough up....speaking of coughing, "USE IN A WELL VENTILATED AREA", etc. Hope this helps......
"Imagination is more important than Knowledge" - Albert Einstein
"History doesn't repeat itself, but it DOES rhyme" - Mark Twain
"Always. Expect. Ninjas." - Syndey Scoville