Sub (rosa)

Let your stereophile run loose! Talk gear, media, and other electronics that makes music for your ears.

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

TazManiac

Sub (rosa)

Post by TazManiac »

Sorry, the title isn't really germain, other than trying to be punny...

I came across a 12" Sub Woofer unit; https://www.parts-express.com/bic-formu ... uctDetails

BIC Formula F-12 Subwoofer.

It's a self-powered sub with High Level as well as Low Level (Source) inputs.
The amp is really rated @ 150W RMS, but it talks about 475W 'peak'.

I found it w/ a toggle switch on the back broken off, one that determines if the RCA port input is going to filter out the mids & highs or (otoh) it's to expect the signal to already be Lows Only.

It seems topower up alright, and the coil of the driver is intact, but I haven't yet determined if the Amp itself is toast or not.

If nothing else I'll just run the box with a dedicated (external) amplifier...
Just Old Al

Re: Sub (rosa)

Post by Just Old Al »

Nice catch! I'd make sure to isolate the frame of the box from the floor when you set it up, or your neighbours are going to be less-than-pleased with you.
"The Empire was founded on cups of tea, mate, and if you think I am going to war without one you are sadly mistaken."
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

Well, here's where we are so far:

- Was able to hardwire the broken toggle switch in one of the two positions; I think it is in 'Defeat Filtering Incoming Signal' mode.

- Ran a Right Channel out of the laptop, via a 'Y' adapter cable, just to see what happens; Heard the Driver make noise...

- Looked around and noticed I didn't have a 5.1 receiver handy to hook up to. (There are many to choose from nearby, but it was late and I was sleepy by that time...)

Next up is sending a true LFE Signal to it and see if the driver/amp combo still have any semblance of fidelity.
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

More details please!
Yanno how some people have Angels/Devils for a conscience? I have a Dark Elf ShadowKnight and a Half Elf Ranger for mine. The really bad part is when they agree on something.

Aphyon chu kissa whol l'jaed.
--Safyr Drathmir
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

Sorry, progressed stalled due to inclement weather. (In reality; other stuff had to be done outdoors...) but now that it looks like I'll be a shut in the next few days, maybe I can actually send a real LFE signal to it and see if it's really working or did some previous owner (read that as knucklehead) blow it out.

If it come down to it I can part the plate amp and stuff it in, wait- I can pull another driver from a non-powered sub and graft the two together...
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

TazManiac wrote:Sorry, progressed stalled due to inclement weather. (In reality; other stuff had to be done outdoors...) but now that it looks like I'll be a shut in the next few days, maybe I can actually send a real LFE signal to it and see if it's really working or did some previous owner (read that as knucklehead) blow it out.

If it come down to it I can part the plate amp and stuff it in, wait- I can pull another driver from a non-powered sub and graft the two together...
Gooooood, gooooood... feeeel the mad spark within you, let the laughter and the insanity flow through you... harvest the parts necessary from dead subs and create a living FrankenWoofer!

Hrm. That doesn’t sound very ominous now that I’ve typed it out. Oh well, I tried.
He's mister GlytchMeister, he's mister code
He's mister exploiter, he's mister ones and zeros
They call me GlytchMeister, whatever I touch
Starts to glitch in my clutch!
I'm too much!
Dave

Post by Dave »

Feh. You call that an ominous woofer? Not even close.

The biggest and most powerful woofer ever made was by created by Paul Bunyan. He dug an huge horn-shaped bay up in Canada, powered it with a massive water-flow generator, and set it to creating water-born sound at a frequency of .000023 Hz (two cycles per day). It's so powerful that the waves it creates travel so across the Atlantic and around the Horn of Africa into the Pacific.. people call them "the tides" and mistakenly believe that the Moon has something to do with them.

It's a woofer which puts Paul Klipsch's biggest and most extravagant Klipschorn woofers to shame.

The sound it creates can only be referred to as "basso profundy".
Just Old Al

Post by Just Old Al »

Dave, that was an utter tidal bore.
"The Empire was founded on cups of tea, mate, and if you think I am going to war without one you are sadly mistaken."
Typeminer

Post by Typeminer »

Well, the frequency he drives this sort of thing toward us, I just wave it off.
Saccharomyces cerevisiae is the linchpin of civilization.
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

Fellas, not to fret- you just have to Filter it & in doing so Let the Band Pass...

PS- (on another Board I'm sometimes referring to myself as a Frankenstein type character...)

Post-pre-PS: Tonight some good things should be happening, I hope to take pic'turs and I have a DVD copy of 'Rouge One' to work with. MuHahahahahah... <cough, cough...>

:twisted:
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

TazManiac wrote:Post-pre-PS: Tonight some good things should be happening, I hope to take pic'turs and I have a DVD copy of 'Rouge One' to work with. MuHahahahahah... <cough, cough...>

Why Taz, I didn't know you were into beauty shows. If you want, I could see when Jay Manuel is doing makeovers next in your town. He's an absolute DARLING and makes you feel so amazing after showing you why bucking the fashion trends is the way to go with hair and makeup.

*Drops a portable DVD player and a copy of Spaceballs into the Vault*
Yanno how some people have Angels/Devils for a conscience? I have a Dark Elf ShadowKnight and a Half Elf Ranger for mine. The really bad part is when they agree on something.

--Safyr Drathmir
Dave

Post by Dave »

DinkyInky wrote:
TazManiac wrote:Post-pre-PS: Tonight some good things should be happening, I hope to take pic'turs and I have a DVD copy of 'Rouge One' to work with. MuHahahahahah... <cough, cough...>

Why Taz, I didn't know you were into beauty shows.
You misunderstand. Taz is obviously studying up to improve his ability to polish gemstones, and to put a really fine cutting edge on his collection of knives, wood chisels, and lathe gouges. Taz clearly loves the shiny!

(Dave leaves a copy of More Hits By The Supremes in the Pun Vault, cued up to play "Strop! In the Name of Love". It's little-known that actor Raymond Burr did backing vocals for the first takes of this song, but they got rid of Burr when they finished it.)
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

(takes a beat or two...)

Ah! 'Roh-Goo' One, thats what I meant.

btw; sorry, further progress still postponed while other stuff transpires.

War on Rodents
Cleaning and Sorting
It's SNOWing outside (I'm in relatively Sunny Northern California...)
Outside chores backed up due to variable, inclement weather the last few days.

Lastly, I had some young friend-girls put makeup on me one time; what with the piercing gaze and the perennial Van Dyke; I scared even myself...
Just Old Al

Post by Just Old Al »

TazManiac wrote:(takes a beat or two...)

War on Rodents
Peanut butter and snap traps, or a tilted 5-gallon bucket with peanut butter.
Lastly, I had some young friend-girls put makeup on me one time; what with the piercing gaze and the perennial Van Dyke; I scared even myself...
Why am I picturing Evil Spock from the ST:TOS episode "Mirror, Mirror"?
Dave

Post by Dave »

Just Old Al wrote:Why am I picturing Evil Spock from the ST:TOS episode "Mirror, Mirror"?
♪ I'm just a Vulcan whose intentions are good;
please do not let me be misunderstoooood. ♪
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

Remember the scene in Wanted where the guy made rat bombs by feeding them explosive peanut butter?

I wonder if that’s possible. Maybe nitrate the oil in the peanut butter? Would they be shock-sensitive enough to be detonated by nearby detonating rats or would you need them all to wear detonators? And if they were that sensitive, would they be prone to accidentally going off by sneezing or hopping off a curb?

Perhaps it’s better to feed them little pills or pellets that slowly dissolve... exposing a core of some ferociously reactive but not explosive chemical. Some fluorine compound, maybe.

Nobody show this post to Jennifer Miller.

Jennifer, if you see this: this is entirely hypothetical and just a thought experiment.
I'm too much!
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

re: Rodent Patrol: Peanut Butter by itself isn't enough; they are crafty in swiping the stuff without setting off the trap. Ver 2.0 is adding a half Walnut bound w/ a 'rubberband like they use on broccoli' to hold it in place + the peanut butter.

Also, I've gotten ahold of a small box of Plaster of Paris, mixed with Flour in to Dough Balls and laid around makes for tasty treats that 'clog'em up. <-- haven't yet mixed up a batch yet though...

Lastly, and I don't like nasty stuff in the ecosystem/circle of life, I have the anti-coag type rat poison at work as well. (at least it's better than the anti-nerve stuff of yesteryear.)

This thread drift approved under the terms of the "You ain't wading through slushy snow melt to work on subs for a day or two any way' provision...

PS- There is also a trap I'm investigating with a broom handle put through two holes in the rim of a trash can, a small flat board strapped to the middle part and some p. butter slapped on that.

Add a plank to allow access to the rim and you get a 'I Fell'd In and Can't get Out!' type trap. (Using a too-small bucket means they can jump out.)
Typeminer

Post by Typeminer »

GlytchMeister wrote:Remember the scene in Wanted where the guy made rat bombs by feeding them explosive peanut butter?
I once proofread some thriller where captives were forced to eat semtex or C4 on crackers, then were shot in the gut to explode them. Have no idea whether this would actually work (I'm skeptical). And I doubt that plastic explosives taste even as good as plastic cheese in a can.

Then again, rats aren't fussy about flavor
Saccharomyces cerevisiae is the linchpin of civilization.
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

C4 would not have worked - you need a shockwave from a detonator to make it go off. C3 might have worked, if it didn’t blow up upon being chewed.

I beleive tannerite is the explosive of choice for such an application, though I think it requires a fairly high-power round to make it go off. Rifle, .454 Casull, or .500 Smith or something like that. So a trunkfull won’t go off if you get rear-ended. I’m not the expert on tannerite, you’ll get better info from Sarge.
I'm too much!
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

TNR "barn" cats. Make sure they have adequate shelter in inclement weather, and food and water when rodent population is low.

I hate animal cruelty, even when necessary. Cats are a 100% all-natural solution.
Before anyone says allergies, I do, and am owned by a cat. At my old place, roomies had cats. They kept mine and my brothers rooms pest free...because we rewarded them for the hunt, and didn't shriek when the meeces were brought as tribute like female roomie did.

--Safyr Drathmir