Sub (rosa)

Let your stereophile run loose! Talk gear, media, and other electronics that makes music for your ears.

Moderators: The Old Wolf, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Bookworm, Wapsi

Sub (rosa)

Postby TazManiac » Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:58 pm

Sorry, the title isn't really germain, other than trying to be punny...

I came across a 12" Sub Woofer unit; https://www.parts-express.com/bic-formu ... uctDetails

BIC Formula F-12 Subwoofer.

It's a self-powered sub with High Level as well as Low Level (Source) inputs.
The amp is really rated @ 150W RMS, but it talks about 475W 'peak'.

I found it w/ a toggle switch on the back broken off, one that determines if the RCA port input is going to filter out the mids & highs or (otoh) it's to expect the signal to already be Lows Only.

It seems topower up alright, and the coil of the driver is intact, but I haven't yet determined if the Amp itself is toast or not.

If nothing else I'll just run the box with a dedicated (external) amplifier...
TazManiac

Re: Sub (rosa)

Postby Just Old Al » Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:16 am

Nice catch! I'd make sure to isolate the frame of the box from the floor when you set it up, or your neighbours are going to be less-than-pleased with you.
"The Empire was founded on cups of tea, mate, and if you think I am going to war without one you are sadly mistaken."
Just Old Al

Postby TazManiac » Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:31 pm

Well, here's where we are so far:

- Was able to hardwire the broken toggle switch in one of the two positions; I think it is in 'Defeat Filtering Incoming Signal' mode.

- Ran a Right Channel out of the laptop, via a 'Y' adapter cable, just to see what happens; Heard the Driver make noise...

- Looked around and noticed I didn't have a 5.1 receiver handy to hook up to. (There are many to choose from nearby, but it was late and I was sleepy by that time...)

Next up is sending a true LFE Signal to it and see if the driver/amp combo still have any semblance of fidelity.
TazManiac

Postby DinkyInky » Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:32 am

More details please!
Yanno how some people have Angels/Devils for a conscience? I have a Dark Elf ShadowKnight and a Half Elf Ranger for mine. The really bad part is when they agree on something.

Aphyon chu kissa whol l'jaed.
--Safyr Drathmir
DinkyInky

Postby TazManiac » Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:31 pm

Sorry, progressed stalled due to inclement weather. (In reality; other stuff had to be done outdoors...) but now that it looks like I'll be a shut in the next few days, maybe I can actually send a real LFE signal to it and see if it's really working or did some previous owner (read that as knucklehead) blow it out.

If it come down to it I can part the plate amp and stuff it in, wait- I can pull another driver from a non-powered sub and graft the two together...
TazManiac

Postby GlytchMeister » Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:32 pm

TazManiac wrote:Sorry, progressed stalled due to inclement weather. (In reality; other stuff had to be done outdoors...) but now that it looks like I'll be a shut in the next few days, maybe I can actually send a real LFE signal to it and see if it's really working or did some previous owner (read that as knucklehead) blow it out.

If it come down to it I can part the plate amp and stuff it in, wait- I can pull another driver from a non-powered sub and graft the two together...

Gooooood, gooooood... feeeel the mad spark within you, let the laughter and the insanity flow through you... harvest the parts necessary from dead subs and create a living FrankenWoofer!

Hrm. That doesn’t sound very ominous now that I’ve typed it out. Oh well, I tried.
He's mister GlytchMeister, he's mister code
He's mister exploiter, he's mister ones and zeros
They call me GlytchMeister, whatever I touch
Starts to glitch in my clutch!
I'm too much!
GlytchMeister

Postby Dave » Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:31 pm

Feh. You call that an ominous woofer? Not even close.

The biggest and most powerful woofer ever made was by created by Paul Bunyan. He dug an huge horn-shaped bay up in Canada, powered it with a massive water-flow generator, and set it to creating water-born sound at a frequency of .000023 Hz (two cycles per day). It's so powerful that the waves it creates travel so across the Atlantic and around the Horn of Africa into the Pacific.. people call them "the tides" and mistakenly believe that the Moon has something to do with them.

It's a woofer which puts Paul Klipsch's biggest and most extravagant Klipschorn woofers to shame.

The sound it creates can only be referred to as "basso profundy".
Dave

Postby Just Old Al » Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:20 pm

Dave, that was an utter tidal bore.
"The Empire was founded on cups of tea, mate, and if you think I am going to war without one you are sadly mistaken."
Just Old Al

Return to The Audio Room