Does the music you're listening to affect what you'll drink?

Talk about your favorite liquor, ask questions, and share stories all about booze!

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Sgt. Howard

Re: Does the music you're listening to affect what you'll dr

Post by Sgt. Howard »

GlytchMeister wrote:
Sgt. Howard wrote:
GlytchMeister wrote:Vocabulary question: is corn likker just a phonetic spelling for "corn liquor"? And is corn liquor (likker?) another name for moonshine? Or even in the same category?
"Corn Likker", "Moonshine", "White Mule", "White Lightning", "Corn Squeezin's" or sometimes just plain 'Corn"- they all mean the same thing- sour mash corn liquor. Semi-open fermentation allows a touch of vinegar to form, giving it the slight sour bite. Stuff will run a car if you mix in ether to cut the octane and pressurize the tank.
Myth Confirmed: if you just get high enough proof moonshine, you can run a car on it straight. I think it works in older and modern cars.
TOO HIGH AN OCTAIN!! Either an ULTRA HIGH compression (read AIRCRAFT) engine or cut the octain with ether
Rule 17 of the Bombay Golf Course- "You shall play the ball where the monkey drops it,"
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
Catawampus

Post by Catawampus »

GlytchMeister wrote:Dafuq is a Mudslide?
Revolting.
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

Sgt. Howard wrote:TOO HIGH AN OCTAIN!! Either an ULTRA HIGH compression (read AIRCRAFT) engine or cut the octain with ether
I don't think they checked if it was healthy for the car. I'm pretty sure they just wanted to see if the cars would drive.
He's mister GlytchMeister, he's mister code
He's mister exploiter, he's mister ones and zeros
They call me GlytchMeister, whatever I touch
Starts to glitch in my clutch!
I'm too much!
Dave

Post by Dave »

GlytchMeister wrote:
Sgt. Howard wrote:TOO HIGH AN OCTAIN!! Either an ULTRA HIGH compression (read AIRCRAFT) engine or cut the octain with ether
I don't think they checked if it was healthy for the car. I'm pretty sure they just wanted to see if the cars would drive.
I don't think that having too high an octane (per se) would damage the engine. Rather, it would make the car hard to start in low temperatures. High octane means the fuel is resistant to igniting spontaneously when the fuel/air mixture is compressed... the higher the octane, the more the fuel resists ignition.

"Gasohol" mixtures such as E85 and E95 add a portion of a lower-octane (and thus easier-to-ignite) fuel. E85 is an 85% ethanol, 15% gasoline mixture. E95 has only 5% gasoline, and (according to Wiki) is used in Brazil where the warmer average temperatures make cold-weather-starting much less of a problem.

Adding ether to moonshine would have the same function... ether has a low octane, and is thus easier to ignite. It's traditionally used as "starting fluid" in cold weather.

Gotta be careful with it, though. Ether is so volatile and easy to ignite that having more than a small fraction of it in the fuel will lower the octane too much, and the fuel combination will be terribly prone to pre-ignition. It would boost performance but probably damage the engine pretty quickly. I know that some NASCAR racers have tried it, with notoriously-poor results. How d'ya think Knoxville got its name?

High-ethanol fuel mix can be very hard on many car engines and fuel systems, but for reasons not directly related to its high octane. Rather, the ethanol can attack the elastomers (rubber and plastic) seals, causing fuel leaks and (potentially) fires.
shadowinthelight

Post by shadowinthelight »

"I swear I'm not drunk, officer. It's my car that has had too much alcohol."
Julie, about Wapsi Square wrote:Oh goodness yes. So much paranormal!

Image My deviantART and YouTube.
I'm done thinking for today! It's caused me enough trouble!
Sgt. Howard

Post by Sgt. Howard »

Dave wrote:
GlytchMeister wrote:
I don't think that having too high an octane (per se) would damage the engine. Rather, it would make the car hard to start in low temperatures. High octane means the fuel is resistant to igniting spontaneously when the fuel/air mixture is compressed... the higher the octane, the more the fuel resists ignition.

"Gasohol" mixtures such as E85 and E95 add a portion of a lower-octane (and thus easier-to-ignite) fuel. E85 is an 85% ethanol, 15% gasoline mixture. E95 has only 5% gasoline, and (according to Wiki) is used in Brazil where the warmer average temperatures make cold-weather-starting much less of a problem.

Adding ether to moonshine would have the same function... ether has a low octane, and is thus easier to ignite. It's traditionally used as "starting fluid" in cold weather.

Gotta be careful with it, though. Ether is so volatile and easy to ignite that having more than a small fraction of it in the fuel will lower the octane too much, and the fuel combination will be terribly prone to pre-ignition. It would boost performance but probably damage the engine pretty quickly. I know that some NASCAR racers have tried it, with notoriously-poor results. How d'ya think Knoxville got its name?

High-ethanol fuel mix can be very hard on many car engines and fuel systems, but for reasons not directly related to its high octane. Rather, the ethanol can attack the elastomers (rubber and plastic) seals, causing fuel leaks and (potentially) fires.

Eventually too high of an octane fries the valves- PLUS you will have to push the timing forward
Rule 17 of the Bombay Golf Course- "You shall play the ball where the monkey drops it,"
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
Typeminer

Post by Typeminer »

Believe it's quite possible to design an engine to run on alcohol; it's just that modern car engines aren't. Henry Ford thought farmers would be able to distill their own fuel, but then advances in petroleum refining made gasoline much cheaper.

When I was a kid, there was a rumor that if you dumped a whole lot of ether into an enemy's gas tank, the engine would get hot enough for diesel ignition and give the victim one hell of a last ride till the engine blew or the fuel ran out. :twisted:

We also believed that you could prevent an engine from starting by jamming the proverbial potato up the tailpipe. But then, the engines we had, preventing them from starting wasn't much of a trick. :roll:
Saccharomyces cerevisiae is the linchpin of civilization.
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

Catawampus wrote:
GlytchMeister wrote:Dafuq is a Mudslide?
Revolting.
I don't know; done right, they are a mildly alcoholic milkshake. You just can't use paint stripper and gasohol as ingredients. Certain brands taste different to differing palettes.
I have a friend who uses Bushmill's Irish whiskey and melted vanilla ice cream whenever she needs Irish cream. I tend to use Bailey's only for coffee, and Saint Brendan's for sipping or mixers.
I have another who only drinks cheap vodka, because the ultra filtered varieties taste bad to her.

I use for both mixers and sipping a very select list of vodkas:
Stolichnaya(mixers only)
Krolewska
Van Gogh
Belvedere
Due to a friend with Celiac's, I'm going to try one soon from her safe list--Tito's(familiar to Texans).
After drinking Van Gogh for a while, I can no longer tolerate using Absolut as a mixer
I have had bad experiences with Golden Tequila/Mezcal, so I avoided them all until introduced to Patron Silver. I now use the Cafe XO, which is that coffee flavoured, and Cafe XO Dark, which is that with cocoa instead of Kahlua and Godiva(with a rare exception on this one for a few drinks).

If a drink is bad, it may be many reasons, like your palette isn't suited to those brands, ill preparation on the bartenders part, the glassware(or lack of), or perhaps the overall mood of the place.

In the case of wine, there are some that have issues with the casks used to age them in, the types of grapes and fruit used, even the glass it's presented in.
Finding brands you like before mixing is key. It frustrates bartenders to no end when I show up, because when I say top shelf, their idea of that is not always it, or they try to cheat and charge me anyway, and I can taste it, and usually identify the brands used with 90% accuracy. I usually also get their lists of top shelf to see if I even can drink there.
I'm a snob cultivated on years of trial and error.

If it's bad it's bad, and don't let some mixologist slinging inferior junk to party brats say otherwise. Usually, a good bartender will sell you a mixed drink shot sized to try before you drop a Benjamin on the full version(and yeah, some brands make a mixed drink that expensive).
If you go on a quiet day, some even do top shelf tastings with snacks for a fixed fee.
Sorry for the novel...I got carried away. :oops:
Yanno how some people have Angels/Devils for a conscience? I have a Dark Elf ShadowKnight and a Half Elf Ranger for mine. The really bad part is when they agree on something.

Aphyon chu kissa whol l'jaed.
--Safyr Drathmir
Sgt. Howard

Post by Sgt. Howard »

Typeminer wrote:Believe it's quite possible to design an engine to run on alcohol; it's just that modern car engines aren't. Henry Ford thought farmers would be able to distill their own fuel, but then advances in petroleum refining made gasoline much cheaper:
Actually, Henry DEVELOPED an engine/carburetor system that would do just that... then prohibition struck... funded by John D. Rockefeller... who owned STANDARD OIL...
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

D. I. (I was going to comment: "SHe's not a SNob, she just knows what she likes...")

Post as long a post as you want, it's full of stuff, you know like knowledge and 'speariences and stuff.

That reminds me of a bar on (near) Lower Market Street, SF; I went in and specifically asked for the 'Mt. Gay, Extra Old'. I took a look and both the regular and the 'good stuff' where half filled with the same color liquid. :evil:

Told off the bartender, wrote the place off...
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

TazManiac wrote:D. I. (I was going to comment: "SHe's not a SNob, she just knows what she likes...")

Post as long a post as you want, it's full of stuff, you know like knowledge and 'speariences and stuff.

That reminds me of a bar on (near) Lower Market Street, SF; I went in and specifically asked for the 'Mt. Gay, Extra Old'. I took a look and both the regular and the 'good stuff' where half filled with the same color liquid. :evil:

Told off the bartender, wrote the place off...
I'd have called in the big guns to inspect the place, stating suspected fraud, and proofs. Then again, having had a liquor license and a bartending cert at one point, I'm rather defensive of the craft. They have folks do more than just see if they'd sell to underaged patrons. They also investigate claims of fraud.
Place back home got shut down. Bartenders(who really did not know what they were doing) and owners didn't know/care enough to know the difference between types of alcohol and proofs, and was notorious for watering down drinks because they were too cheap to buy all the different brands. They, however, had no problem charging you $15 for a Bombay Aviation, and use bargain bin gin and a splash of blue soda.

The Aviation cocktail(one of my favourites next to a chocolate gin martini), is blue because of the glorious Creme de Violette.

1 ½ oz Gin(I prefer Bombay Sapphire)
½ oz Maraschino liqueur
¼ oz Creme de Violette
½ oz freshly squeezed lemon juice
Lemon zest
Maraschino cherry
Ice
This is the official recipe given with the gift bottles of Bombay Sapphire. My recipe book was so trashed from years of use, but they are nice if you are new to gin.

Place all but lemon zest in a cocktail shaker shake, then strain into your chilled glass.
Twist the zest over the glass to release the oils, serve.

It's blue like a clear sky, and a joy to make. I never got to garnish my drink with the cherry, it always got eaten first...

Anyway, these idiots made me a very bad gin with blue raspberry soda. It was....awful.

Then they insisted I didn't know what an Aviation really was. I poured the drink into their rubbish bin, had a friend take me home, and called it in the next day.

It's been sixteen years, and I'm still not sorry.
Yanno how some people have Angels/Devils for a conscience? I have a Dark Elf ShadowKnight and a Half Elf Ranger for mine. The really bad part is when they agree on something.

--Safyr Drathmir
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

If I ever get the desire to sling a few bottles around again, I'd open a restaurant/hidden speakeasy styled place, complete with swing, jazz, blues, and classic booze. The only way you'd get a beer, would be in a fancy glass.

I want a place that evokes that footloose and fancy free dancing and drinking, and OMG the fashions! Pink Gin, Aviation, Martini's, and dancing! Depressed or rude individuals need not apply.

--Safyr Drathmir
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

We need to get Dinky a kickstarter...
"The price of perfection is prohibitive." - Anonymous
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

GlytchMeister wrote:I don't drink alcohol, and I barely know anything about all of these weird drinks y'all're talking about (Dafuq is a Mudslide?), but I understand the concept.
I can't say I've experienced the phenomenon firsthand, however. But now that the idea is in my head, I'll keep an eye out for it.
Update: After a bit of experimentation, here are my results for non-alcoholic drinks:
I enjoy Hot chocolate more with Christmas music
I like stronger hot chocolate with Trans-Siberian Orchestra Christmas music
I like Raspberry iced tea with silence or the Weather Channel
I like Mountain Dew original with Drum n' Bass (calmer, more relaxed feel, but still modern)
I like Mountain Dew Live Wire with Dubstep (especially with what is called "Brostep," which I like to call "Attack Dubstep")
I like Coca Cola Vanilla with Classic Rock (on the softer side, like Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Beatles, Bob Seger, Etc.)
I like Original Coca Cola with harder Classic Rock (AC/DC, KISS, Def Leopard or however it's spelled) or slightly more modern rock (Metallica, Godsmack, Etc.)
I couldn't find a drink for Jonny Cash.
He's mister GlytchMeister, he's mister code
He's mister exploiter, he's mister ones and zeros
They call me GlytchMeister, whatever I touch
Starts to glitch in my clutch!
I'm too much!
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

GlytchMeister wrote: I couldn't find a drink for Jonny Cash.
Try Southern style sweet tea with some muddled mint leaves.

--Safyr Drathmir
Julie

Post by Julie »

DinkyInky wrote:My nice quiet drink ended up being put into a small bottle for later, as it tasted..."off".
HAHA!!! There is merit to my madness!! :D Also, your son remains as awesome as ever. :P
DinkyInky wrote:I don tink dat the world be ready for more than one o' me.
I tend to agree with the TazManiac on this one. :P
Jabberwonky wrote:We need to get Dinky a kickstarter...
I'd fund it!! :D
GlytchMeister wrote:Update: After a bit of experimentation, here are my results for non-alcoholic drinks:
I enjoy Hot chocolate more with Christmas music
I like stronger hot chocolate with Trans-Siberian Orchestra Christmas music
I like Raspberry iced tea with silence or the Weather Channel
I like Mountain Dew original with Drum n' Bass (calmer, more relaxed feel, but still modern)
I like Mountain Dew Live Wire with Dubstep (especially with what is called "Brostep," which I like to call "Attack Dubstep")
I like Coca Cola Vanilla with Classic Rock (on the softer side, like Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Beatles, Bob Seger, Etc.)
I like Original Coca Cola with harder Classic Rock (AC/DC, KISS, Def Leopard or however it's spelled) or slightly more modern rock (Metallica, Godsmack, Etc.)
I couldn't find a drink for Jonny Cash.
Okay, now that's just awesome! It never occurred to me to check on my drinking habits for non-alcoholic beverages. Now I need to pay more attention to see if music impacts my decisions, or if it's some other factor.
"Just open your eyes
And see that life is beautiful."
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

So I got a lovely gift yesterday...a bottle of Jameson Special Reserve 12 year.

They make only two better, the Gold Reserve 18 year and Black Barrel.

It's the sort of whiskey you sit back and listen to jazzy, bluesy, swing music on the turntable and savour....which is pretty much what I did after comparing it with the original I usually keep in my cabinet.

Original: Sweet, spicy, warm, goes down smooth, warms you up. Great for whiskey sours and other mixers.

Special Reserve: It's soooo silky smooth, a slow building warmth, rich, nutty, smells heavenly. Great to kick back after a long day and savour a tumbler on the rocks.

It would be a sin to blend this with anything but perhaps soda water.

God, I feel soooo loved!

--Safyr Drathmir
Hansontoons

Post by Hansontoons »

From Art of Noise to Zappa, it's a nice, cold beer. Nothing light, mind you. They leave me with a headache the next day. I will get full and mellow, so never to excess. Current favorites are from New Belgium Brewing

But mixed drinks, dangit they taste so good and hard fro me to regulate after a few, so I'll avoid unless have alternate transport when away from home. Was in Chicago a couple months back for an occasion, wound up at a Tiki bar, thank goodness for Uber.

But reading DinkyInky's posts, I think I would enjoy an evening or three working through even a short list of her repertoire. They all sound delicious!
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

Hansontoons wrote:From Art of Noise to Zappa, it's a nice, cold beer. Nothing light, mind you. They leave me with a headache the next day. I will get full and mellow, so never to excess. Current favorites are from New Belgium Brewing

But mixed drinks, dangit they taste so good and hard fro me to regulate after a few, so I'll avoid unless have alternate transport when away from home. Was in Chicago a couple months back for an occasion, wound up at a Tiki bar, thank goodness for Uber.

But reading DinkyInky's posts, I think I would enjoy an evening or three working through even a short list of her repertoire. They all sound delicious!
That's why I experiment. I find mixers, or make them, and recreate the stronger drinks as lighter fare. I did the candy bar one because I have a friend who due to Murphy being an arse, has issues with too much alcohol. I used chocolate simple syrup instead of the creme de cacao or Godiva's, then added extra. I make lighter whiskey sours with a triple sec inspired simple syrup, lemon slices, and top it off with cane sugar lemon lime soda.
When I used to goto clubs or bars, I'd pay the bartender to make sure every other drink was a bitters and soda in a champagne flute, and if guys bought me drinks, to keep it as a tip, and give them to me as the bitters drink. Always kept a clear head around strange guys(being a bartender helped me learn some people are evil). I go to bars very infrequently(but Irish pubs are grand), because the frat jerks are intolerable. They're the type to ignore a shy, skinny nerd in glasses, but give the same nerd curves and boobs, and it's "Hey baby, where ya been all my life?"
I've seen and have been such heckled in the bars, and usually say to the girl, "There you are! Where have you been!"*whisper: "Just play along, these jerks are gonna get it!"*
I then do so very subtle like, and let the gal know I've been there, and if they ever see me in there again qnd need help, just start talking nerd stuff, and I'll get it.

--Safyr Drathmir
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

I just might have solved my Aviation frustration.

Found a French Violette sirop(Monin). Need to acquire a bottle, then experiment.

--Safyr Drathmir