What can you do with a bottle of...

Talk about your favorite liquor, ask questions, and share stories all about booze!

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

DinkyInky

What can you do with a bottle of...

Post by DinkyInky »

...in my case, Jameson. My father gifted me a lovely bottle of Jameson reserve, and thus far I have had it neat, on the rocks, with soda, as a tuxedo nightcap with Patron silver cafe, as a complement to a sharps tray(sharp cheeses and fruits), and a couple of random mixers with various alcohols. I am tempted to look past my intense dislike of Guinness and make a Belfast carbomb.

Got any good Irish Whiskey recipes for me to while away the cool Winter nights?

Unlike Dalwhinnies, Glenmorangie, and Glenfiddich, there are many things one can do with a nice Irish Whiskey.

Feel free to shanghai this thread for any ideas requests, and recipes...and please share recipes and drink sensibly.

Dinky, enjoying a nightcap on a brisk night.
Yanno how some people have Angels/Devils for a conscience? I have a Dark Elf ShadowKnight and a Half Elf Ranger for mine. The really bad part is when they agree on something.

Aphyon chu kissa whol l'jaed.
--Safyr Drathmir
Dave

Re: What can you do with a bottle of...

Post by Dave »

I'd think that a straight-up God's Blessing (Irish coffee), made with primo beans roasted to your personal preference, would be the next step. Sweetening, cream, whipped cream, etc. are all optional and to-taste.
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

Dave wrote:I'd think that a straight-up God's Blessing (Irish coffee), made with primo beans roasted to your personal preference, would be the next step. Sweetening, cream, whipped cream, etc. are all optional and to-taste.
Oooooh...Irish Coffee. I just got a fresh bag of Dark roasted beans, and have an awesome grinder for them. I also have just bought heavy cream. And my Vanilla sugar is ready to decant. Yummy idea, thanks!
Yanno how some people have Angels/Devils for a conscience? I have a Dark Elf ShadowKnight and a Half Elf Ranger for mine. The really bad part is when they agree on something.

--Safyr Drathmir
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

Marinate a nice porterhouse...
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

Atomic wrote:Marinate a nice porterhouse...
butbutbut...a nice porterhouse is tasty and tender enough without marinade.

--Safyr Drathmir
Julie

Post by Julie »

My husband is a HUGE fan of Jameson (or Powers) and ginger ale. He said that when he was at his bachelor party in Vegas he'd wake up feeling like butt after a long day and night of drinking, but he always wanted to start drinking again immediately since it was Vegas and his party. His solution? Have some ginger ale to calm the stomach and whiskey to get the day started. I don't think he expected it to taste so good. It turned into his preferred way to drink whiskey mixed. :)
"Just open your eyes
And see that life is beautiful."
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

Julie wrote:My husband is a HUGE fan of Jameson (or Powers) and ginger ale. He said that when he was at his bachelor party in Vegas he'd wake up feeling like butt after a long day and night of drinking, but he always wanted to start drinking again immediately since it was Vegas and his party. His solution? Have some ginger ale to calm the stomach and whiskey to get the day started. I don't think he expected it to taste so good. It turned into his preferred way to drink whiskey mixed. :)
I usually have Bushmills or Black Bush, but after a gifting of Jameson, I am torn. I can only imagine how I'll feel after trying Tullamor Dew.

I adore a good single Malt like Glenfiddich, Glenmorangie, or Dalwhinnies. It is so relaxing to have a glass every now and again for an evening of contemplation.

It is one of the things I miss about the bad old bartending days...getting invited to sample classy wares. Not that I still don't get the invites, rather that I have priorities that take grand precedence over having a glass of something, an have to turn them down. The worst one was not being able to go to a single malt tasting last month.

--Safyr Drathmir
NOTDilbert

Post by NOTDilbert »

DinkyInky wrote:
Julie wrote:My husband is a HUGE fan of Jameson (or Powers) and ginger ale. He said that when he was at his bachelor party in Vegas he'd wake up feeling like butt after a long day and night of drinking, but he always wanted to start drinking again immediately since it was Vegas and his party. His solution? Have some ginger ale to calm the stomach and whiskey to get the day started. I don't think he expected it to taste so good. It turned into his preferred way to drink whiskey mixed. :)
I usually have Bushmills or Black Bush, but after a gifting of Jameson, I am torn. I can only imagine how I'll feel after trying Tullamor Dew.

I adore a good single Malt like Glenfiddich, Glenmorangie, or Dalwhinnies. It is so relaxing to have a glass every now and again for an evening of contemplation.

It is one of the things I miss about the bad old bartending days...getting invited to sample classy wares. Not that I still don't get the invites, rather that I have priorities that take grand precedence over having a glass of something, an have to turn them down. The worst one was not being able to go to a single malt tasting last month.
You won't need to imagine how you'll feel after Tullamor Dew. The angels will walk up to you and tell you 'You feel fine.'
"Imagination is more important than Knowledge" - Albert Einstein
"History doesn't repeat itself, but it DOES rhyme" - Mark Twain
"Always. Expect. Ninjas." - Syndey Scoville
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

To be sure, to be sure. It is the affordability of it currently. They do not make sampler bottles, or I would most likely be singing their praises right about now. Am I correct in surmising that it is like Dalwhinnies and the other single malt scotch whiskeys in that it be a cardinal sin to mix it with anything?

--Safyr Drathmir
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

DinkyInky wrote:
Two tablespoons, on top of the salt/pepper rub you've set up the night before.
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
NOTDilbert

Post by NOTDilbert »

Mostly. However, a bit of sweetened heavy cream makes for a very desert-y treat.
"Imagination is more important than Knowledge" - Albert Einstein
"History doesn't repeat itself, but it DOES rhyme" - Mark Twain
"Always. Expect. Ninjas." - Syndey Scoville
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

Atomic wrote:
DinkyInky wrote:
Two tablespoons, on top of the salt/pepper rub you've set up the night before.
That is what I use Gentleman Jack or Beam's Choice for
NOTDilbert wrote:Mostly. However, a bit of sweetened heavy cream makes for a very desert-y treat.
I will have to try that with my Jameson, as that sounds tasty.

--Safyr Drathmir
Julie

Post by Julie »

DinkyInky wrote:

My husband's not a huge fan of Tullamore Dew. It's used in a few of the "specialty" mixed drinks at the Irish pub near our home, but I'm not a whiskey fan, so I can't really speak to how good it is or isn't. :) I just know that my husband actually seems to prefer Powers to Jameson from time to time (and he speaks highly of the Powers 12 year) because it's a very good mixing whiskey and it's usually cheaper than Jameson...but it's not always easy to find (or at least it wasn't until we discovered a big liquor/wine/beer superstore near where I work that has a huge selection at ridiculously discounted prices).

That said, he's also been a fan of Bushmills (and Bushmills Black) and of Redbreast (can you tell he likes the Irish stuff? :)). He's had the Glenfiddich every so often as well, and seems to think well enough of it. I can't say he's tried the Dalwhinnies though...so I may have to hunt that down for him to try. His absolute favorite (at least right now and for the past three years or so) is Glenmorangie Nectar d'Or, but he doesn't often drink it since it's a little pricey at $80 a bottle (again, at least until we found that superstore, where he found it for $50 :P).
"Just open your eyes
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

OMG. The prices of Glenmorangie...that is godlike cheap compared to when I used to get it frequently.

Bushmills and it's slutty cousin Black Bush, were my faves until the Jameson. Powers was not my cuppa(having sampled many at a special tasting at Clancy's --Irish Pub by me) of what I tried. Tullamore Dew was not in production at the time, it being their dry period...
They spoiled me rotten everytime I went by mixing me new faves. I would have a whiskey sour, and they would make it up right there, and have three different whiskeys to try, sipping amount in a shotglass. Simple things like that make it a nice place to go when I can afford it(they later told me that drink is a staple, so even if I hated all of them, they'd sell like hotcakes).
I never spent less than $40 a visit with only one or two drinks in the short visits, so I guess they felt they needed to treat me like royalty...not that you would EVER hear me complain... :P

Funniest thing the pub owner told me, when they first opened, they only had Irish and Scottish brands of the basic liquors, as they were trying a niche bar...so very few American ones, like Jack or Beams. Local drunks come to drink, not find what they want, and having been used to rotgut for life, they could not taste good alcohol at all. They called the lovely whiskeys watered down horse piss, and got into a lovely bar fight with the fighting Irish(puntentional). They have a bigger selection these days, but can you imagine someone spitting out a nice drink and calling it names in an Irish pub full of Irish drunks? I wish I could have seen that!

--Safyr Drathmir
Julie

Post by Julie »

Well, if you can find a Total Wine store anywhere in your area, I'd recommend you try it. :) A bottle of Jameson is about $15, and like I said, the Nectar d'Or is $50. :) My favorite rum (Sailor Jerry) comes in a big jug for only $20 too. :P Win win!

The way you talk about whiskey reminds me of my parents and how they talk about tequila. :) They've tried almost every tequila under the sun, and can probably recognize a tequila in a mix 95% of the time. They also talk about how hard it can be to find their favorite tequila, Chinaco Anejo, because the company doesn't always renew its import license (and not everyone seems to have heard of it)...so there were times that they would pay friends who traveled to Mexico to bring back a bottle or two of their favorite stuff. :)

(P.S. I would LOVE to see some idiot pick that kind of fight surrounded by drunk Irish!)
"Just open your eyes
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

Seriously. They fight mean and sneaky, not dumb and dirty like the brand of thug that has spawned these days...the mods really need to fix that, as the xp farming from those sucks.

I especially love how Notre Dame fans get at a home game. Makes one wonder how they became known as the "Fighting Irish"...

--Safyr Drathmir
txmystic

Post by txmystic »

I was also gifted a nice bottle of Jameson's before I moved to France and I have yet to open it...still working through the lovely bottles of Cognac that i also received (I have excellent friends ;) )

I agree that coffee is the next step. And if you want to get exotic, you can also sweeten with Irish cream (no too much) or even with Drambuie. For coffee-derived drinks my favorite flavor enhancement is Frangelico or Amaretto.

@Julie Whiskey and Ginger Ale is a very nice go-to for those who find the raw flavor of whiskey a bit harsh to the palate (like myself). Mine has always been Seagram's 7 with 7-up (7&7).
txmystic

Post by txmystic »

DinkyInky wrote:Seriously. They fight mean and sneaky, not dumb and dirty like the brand of thug that has spawned these days...the mods really need to fix that, as the xp farming from those sucks.

I especially love how Notre Dame fans get at a home game. Makes one wonder how they became known as the "Fighting Irish"...
My friends and I made the bold decision to go to an away game @ South Bend with faces painted and dressed in our Michigan colors. We lost the game (typical of the rivalry), but I do not honestly recall how we got out of there alive...

...then again I am Irish,and we were drinking that night...
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

txmystic wrote:
DinkyInky wrote:Seriously. They fight mean and sneaky, not dumb and dirty like the brand of thug that has spawned these days...the mods really need to fix that, as the xp farming from those sucks.

My friends and I made the bold decision to go to an away game @ South Bend with faces painted and dressed in our Michigan colors. We lost the game (typical of the rivalry), but I do not honestly recall how we got out of there alive...

...then again I am Irish,and we were drinking that night...
I used to work at a four diamond AAA B&B, and the rabid fans during home games...funny to behold when they left for the game...

--Safyr Drathmir
shadowinthelight

Post by shadowinthelight »

txmystic wrote:@Julie Whiskey and Ginger Ale is a very nice go-to for those who find the raw flavor of whiskey a bit harsh to the palate (like myself). Mine has always been Seagram's 7 with 7-up (7&7).
So, if you pair that with a Taco Bell 7 Layer Burrito, would you call that the Jackpot Combo (7-7-7)?
Julie, about Wapsi Square wrote:Oh goodness yes. So much paranormal!

Image My deviantART and YouTube.
I'm done thinking for today! It's caused me enough trouble!