Page 1 of 1

Hoppy beer, without the hops

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:34 pm
by Dave
https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2 ... 162259.htm

They do use some hops (boiled with the wort) to provide the bittering... but the aromatic hoppy flavors come from the genetically-modified yeast.

Re: Hoppy beer, without the hops

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 4:30 pm
by DinkyInky
Now if they could make wheat free beer that doesn't taste wheat free for my friends...

Re: Hoppy beer, without the hops

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:51 pm
by GlytchMeister
DinkyInky wrote:Now if they could make wheat free beer that doesn't taste wheat free for my friends...


I think that’s called potato vodka. :P

Re: Hoppy beer, without the hops

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:13 pm
by DinkyInky
GlytchMeister wrote:
DinkyInky wrote:Now if they could make wheat free beer that doesn't taste wheat free for my friends...


I think that’s called potato vodka. :P
Beer, not hard liquor.

Re: Hoppy beer, without the hops

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:50 pm
by Typeminer
I'd expect lots of microbrews to be wheat free. Certainly many German and Bohemian styles should be.

But there is gluten in barley, if that's the issue.

Re: Hoppy beer, without the hops

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:32 pm
by TazManiac
I'm leery of modifying the flavour with man-tailored yeast strains. I (now) understand that a Hop Crop is water intensive, but still...

Re: Hoppy beer, without the hops

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:19 pm
by Catawampus
Typeminer wrote:I'd expect lots of microbrews to be wheat free. Certainly many German and Bohemian styles should be.

But there is gluten in barley, if that's the issue.


Apparently some Corona and Carlsberg beers are very low gluten, enough that people with all but the worst cases of gluten intolerance can drink some without trouble. And anything brewed from something such as rice or corn ought to be gluten-free; I've even seen some buckwheat beer around here, though I haven't tasted any because I don't like beer in general.

Re: Hoppy beer, without the hops

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:11 pm
by DinkyInky
Catawampus wrote:
Typeminer wrote:I'd expect lots of microbrews to be wheat free. Certainly many German and Bohemian styles should be.

But there is gluten in barley, if that's the issue.


Apparently some Corona and Carlsberg beers are very low gluten, enough that people with all but the worst cases of gluten intolerance can drink some without trouble. And anything brewed from something such as rice or corn ought to be gluten-free; I've even seen some buckwheat beer around here, though I haven't tasted any because I don't like beer in general.
Celiac sufferers cannot have buckwheat either. Sul and Soju are pretty far off from beer though.

Re: Hoppy beer, without the hops

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:15 pm
by Dave
DinkyInky wrote:Celiac sufferers cannot have buckwheat either.

Cite? As I understand it (and from a bit of quick Google-fu), buckwheat is entirely gluten-free and is said to be safe for celiac sufferers. It's not even a grain - it's the seed of a plant in the rhubarb family and is botanically a long way from being a grass.

Now, a lot of products that are advertised as buckwheat aren't pure buckwheat; for example, "buckwheat" pancakes are often made from a mixture of buckwheat flour and wheat flour. The same is true of many soba noodles, I believe. No good for those with gluten sensitivities.

Apparently, it is possible to make a beer out of just buckwheat and other gluten-free seeds (e.g. millet and sorghum) and without wheat, barley, or rye. Buckwheat does contain amylase enzymes and apparently will make a ferment-worthy mash all by itself.

I have no idea how it tastes.

https://beerandbrewing.com/dictionary/h ... buckwheat/
https://beerandbrewing.com/dictionary/o ... free-beer/

Re: Hoppy beer, without the hops

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:05 am
by DinkyInky
Dave wrote:
DinkyInky wrote:Celiac sufferers cannot have buckwheat either.

Cite? As I understand it (and from a bit of quick Google-fu), buckwheat is entirely gluten-free and is said to be safe for celiac sufferers. It's not even a grain - it's the seed of a plant in the rhubarb family and is botanically a long way from being a grass.

Now, a lot of products that are advertised as buckwheat aren't pure buckwheat; for example, "buckwheat" pancakes are often made from a mixture of buckwheat flour and wheat flour. The same is true of many soba noodles, I believe. No good for those with gluten sensitivities.

Apparently, it is possible to make a beer out of just buckwheat and other gluten-free seeds (e.g. millet and sorghum) and without wheat, barley, or rye. Buckwheat does contain amylase enzymes and apparently will make a ferment-worthy mash all by itself.

I have no idea how it tastes.

https://beerandbrewing.com/dictionary/h ... buckwheat/
https://beerandbrewing.com/dictionary/o ... free-beer/
Finding a source without cross-contamination has proved impossible for them(one has been searching for 13 years), so they've pretty much added it to the list of not allowed foods.

Re: Hoppy beer, without the hops

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:28 pm
by Dave
DinkyInky wrote:
Dave wrote:
DinkyInky wrote:Celiac sufferers cannot have buckwheat either.

Cite? As I understand it...
Finding a source without cross-contamination has proved impossible for them(one has been searching for 13 years), so they've pretty much added it to the list of not allowed foods.

Gotcha. Yeah, with that level of allergic sensitivity, even a trace of contamination can be a really serious issue, and the commercial brewers almost certainly can't be bothered to maintain that level of segregation in their facilities. Ditto with a lot of commercial farmers, I'd guess.

I suppose one might be able to home-brew a buckwheat beer with adequate lack-of-grains, if you were able to find a reliable supplier of buckwheat that hadn't been processed in a "shared facility". That probably would mean going out to the farm yourself and collecting directly during harvest. :( Not in the cards for the average Joe or Jane. Ditto with raising it yourself - possible, if you're in a cool-enough climate, but not trivial. I've heard of "subsistence farming"... maybe "subsistence brewing" needs to become a thing?

or... hmmm... https://www.ployes.com/buckwheat/buckwh ... ation.html might be worth a look. They say they raise and mill only buckwheat, and make a point of the gluten-free and celiac-disease issues. (Since they also sell a buckwheat-and-whole-wheat premix, it'd be important to ask where this mix is put together so that it doesn't cross-contaminate the pure buckwheat). They do sell 100% buckwheat flour; maybe they'd also sell unmilled buckwheat for mashing?