Recipe!

Talk about your favorite liquor, ask questions, and share stories all about booze!

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

DinkyInky

Re: Recipe!

Post by DinkyInky »

GlytchMeister wrote:As for recipes, I'm the definition of a teetotaler, but if there was a drink that could tempt me to the dark side, it'd be the Vesper. Just because James Bond invented it (and not just in the movie, it's in the original book, too).
Good choice. It's really lovely and elegant. Kinda one of those that I'd serve in the speakeasy I'd own if I ever got the funding.
Yanno how some people have Angels/Devils for a conscience? I have a Dark Elf ShadowKnight and a Half Elf Ranger for mine. The really bad part is when they agree on something.

Aphyon chu kissa whol l'jaed.
--Safyr Drathmir
Dave

Post by Dave »

DinkyInky wrote:Good choice. It's really lovely and elegant. Kinda one of those that I'd serve in the speakeasy I'd own if I ever got the funding.
If that day ever does come, DinkyInky, please put some version of the Pan-Galactic Gargle Blaster on the menu.

Just because. ;)
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

Dave wrote:
DinkyInky wrote:Good choice. It's really lovely and elegant. Kinda one of those that I'd serve in the speakeasy I'd own if I ever got the funding.
If that day ever does come, DinkyInky, please put some version of the Pan-Galactic Gargle Blaster on the menu.

Just because. ;)
Good lord, she'd have to get a separate license just to serve that!
He's mister GlytchMeister, he's mister code
He's mister exploiter, he's mister ones and zeros
They call me GlytchMeister, whatever I touch
Starts to glitch in my clutch!
I'm too much!
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

DinkyInky wrote:
GlytchMeister wrote:As for recipes, I'm the definition of a teetotaler, but if there was a drink that could tempt me to the dark side, it'd be the Vesper. Just because James Bond invented it (and not just in the movie, it's in the original book, too).
Good choice. It's really lovely and elegant. Kinda one of those that I'd serve in the speakeasy I'd own if I ever got the funding.
Unfortunately, two of the original ingredients no longer exist.
I'm too much!
Typeminer

Post by Typeminer »

I learn something here every day.

That reeks about the service in that liquor store. One of the upsides of the strange Pennsylvania state retail liquor monopoly is that any outlet can get you anything that is available in the system, at the same price. Low-end products are overpriced relative to other states, but the differential is much less for higher-end products. And the clerks are unionized public employees, so they are decently paid and glad to have the jobs.
Saccharomyces cerevisiae is the linchpin of civilization.
Dave

Post by Dave »

GlytchMeister wrote:
Dave wrote:If that day ever does come, DinkyInky, please put some version of the Pan-Galactic Gargle Blaster on the menu.

Just because. ;)
Oh, surely not! Earthly bartenders have concocted quite a few variations using widely-available spirits and liqueurs and mixers, which can be created safely using nothing more than ordinary barroom utensils, tongs, gloves, and a hazmat suit. Vending of the resulting beverage is authorized under the "open carry" firearms laws of Texas and several other states.
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

Dave wrote:
GlytchMeister wrote:
Dave wrote:If that day ever does come, DinkyInky, please put some version of the Pan-Galactic Gargle Blaster on the menu.

Just because. ;)
Oh, surely not! Earthly bartenders have concocted quite a few variations using widely-available spirits and liqueurs and mixers, which can be created safely using nothing more than ordinary barroom utensils, tongs, gloves, and a hazmat suit. Vending of the resulting beverage is authorized under the "open carry" firearms laws of Texas and several other states.
You mean it isn't subject to laws regarding military grade chemical weapons manufacturing and sale? Jeeze, our lawmakers are falling behind...
I'm too much!
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

@Dinky:
Speaking of Speakeasies (spelling?): I wonder if you could get any traction with Kickstarter?
[Vader]Don't underestimate the power of the Internet.[/Vader]
I'm too much!
Dave

Post by Dave »

GlytchMeister wrote:You mean it isn't subject to laws regarding military grade chemical weapons manufacturing and sale? Jeeze, our lawmakers are falling behind...
They haven't been able to prove that it's actually harmful to consume. For some reason, every time somebody orders one and drinks it, and the greasy glowing smoke dissipates, there's never enough of a body left for the coroner to make a definitive ruling as to probable cause of death. "Habeus corpus".
Typeminer

Post by Typeminer »

Dave wrote:They haven't been able to prove that it's actually harmful to consume. For some reason, every time somebody orders one and drinks it, and the greasy glowing smoke dissipates, there's never enough of a body left for the coroner to make a definitive ruling as to probable cause of death. "Habeus corpus".
But what if they're just spending a year dead for tax purposes? That will get the lawmakers' attention!

One of the ingredients might be Laphroaig. So smoky, you can smell it now if someone opens a bottle in the same room next Tuesday. :shock:
Saccharomyces cerevisiae is the linchpin of civilization.
MerchManDan

Post by MerchManDan »

Dave wrote:
GlytchMeister wrote:

Just because. ;)
Oh, surely not! Earthly bartenders have concocted quite a few variations using widely-available spirits and liqueurs and mixers, which can be created safely using nothing more than ordinary barroom utensils, tongs, gloves, and a hazmat suit.
Ice can be added but rarely stays put.

*gurglegurglegurglegurgle* ..... [hatflip]
"Give orange me give eat orange me eat orange give me eat orange give me you." - Nim the chimp
Animation courtesy of shadowinthelight (thanks again!)
Dave

Post by Dave »

MerchManDan wrote:Ice can be added but rarely stays put.

*gurglegurglegurglegurgle* ..... [hatflip]
Thank you! I was certain that somebody here would catch that reference! :mrgreen:

Love them hydrogen bitters! Especially the top-shelf brand made with tritium... it gives the Gargle Blaster that last little extra touch of glow-in-the-dark.
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

GlytchMeister wrote:
DinkyInky wrote:
Unfortunately, two of the original ingredients no longer exist.
News to me. I can get Gordon's gin...don't like it though, not even after the reformulation. I also...know people, and can find original Gordon's, which is by now waaaaay stronger, and Kina Lillet doesn't keep as well out of a wine cellar. Vodka is all in your personal tastes, and Bond's preference is not mine. If I remember, the Lillet family dropped the quinine and Kina from said wine, but with a tiny modifier, you can reproduce that taste. You just need to be nerdy scientist enough in your mixology to shake it up...which is why most prefer shaken, as alcohol is diluted via ice, and contents incorporated better. Stirring just lightly blends and/or muddles the ingredients, and lack of straining through ice leaves it full bodied, and very strong. The few Vodka martinis I do like are stirred and served in a chilled glass, because I usually drink them to disengage from snobby company, and have a pleasant...warmth if you will. If I like the company, I'll have a shaken martini, and sip ladylike while conversing with you, though my preferences are:

Older crowds:
Classic martini, using Bombay Sapphire, shaken.
The Bombay Sapphire Aviation, shaken.

Younger or immature crowds:
The Tuxedo with Jameson 32 Irish Whiskey, and Patron Cafe XO instead of Kahlua on the rocks.
A Black Russian, Van Gogh Vanilla Vodka, and again using Patron Cafe XO, on the rocks.

If I am drinking straights or unshaken martinis, I dislike a lot of the company, and will retire early, but imbibe enough to be polite, but civil. I also drink differently when the crowd is older or younger...have never figured out why, it just happens.
Yanno how some people have Angels/Devils for a conscience? I have a Dark Elf ShadowKnight and a Half Elf Ranger for mine. The really bad part is when they agree on something.

--Safyr Drathmir
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

Dave wrote:

Just because. ;)
Mwahahahahaaaaaaaahaaaaaaaa! Crak a boom!

You asked for it!
Yes, I have made this before, and they all fell down.

Here is mine:

Krolewska Vodka run through a brita pitcher a few times(filters alcohol further, and...science!), then a dash of Angostura bitters
Splash of clam juice
Bombay Sapphire gin and Creme de Violette
Dry ice
Sparkling Tonic water with a shot of Patron silver tequila, and the dregs of a Goldschlager bottle
Rumple Minze with a dash of either Black Absinthe or Ouzo
Green Kalamata Olives, pitted.

If you don't know how to make a foggy drink(one that bubbles and smokes), do NOT use the hidden ingredient. I learned that trick from a professional, and done wrong is a health risk...hence my listing what I used, and not how to assemble this. Sorry, not sorry.

--Safyr Drathmir
Dave

Post by Dave »

DinkyInky wrote:If you don't know how to make a foggy drink(one that bubbles and smokes), do NOT use the hidden ingredient. I learned that trick from a professional, and done wrong is a health risk...hence my listing what I used, and not how to assemble this. Sorry, not sorry.
I will always be appreciative and grateful towards my wife, for (one of many reasons) authorizing me to add the hidden ingredient to the punch at our wedding reception. :D
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

Dave wrote:
DinkyInky wrote:If you don't know how to make a foggy drink(one that bubbles and smokes), do NOT use the hidden ingredient. I learned that trick from a professional, and done wrong is a health risk...hence my listing what I used, and not how to assemble this. Sorry, not sorry.
I will always be appreciative and grateful towards my wife, for (one of many reasons) authorizing me to add the hidden ingredient to the punch at our wedding reception. :D
Treasure and spoil that lady, she's a rare gem.

--Safyr Drathmir
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

I just noticed one of the recipes for a Vesper concludes with "Shoot Somebody Evil."
If I ran a bar, I'd keep a BB gun welded to something so it can't be moved, aimed at a picture of the latest evil dictator so people who order a Vesper can fulfill the requirements.
If there aren't any fashionable evil people pictures to be had, I guess I can put up a picture of Ultron or something.
I'm too much!
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

GlytchMeister wrote:I just noticed one of the recipes for a Vesper concludes with "Shoot Somebody Evil."
If I ran a bar, I'd keep a BB gun welded to something so it can't be moved, aimed at a picture of the latest evil dictator so people who order a Vesper can fulfill the requirements.
If there aren't any fashionable evil people pictures to be had, I guess I can put up a picture of Ultron or something.
In the real world, evil is rarely fashionable. Make that a paintball rifle put on the wall, and put up a wall of all pictures of expired Bond villians with red "x's" on them. Then a picture of a real world villian with the caption, "This is a crime of fashion". Play Voltaire at the top of the hour every hour you are open.

--Safyr Drathmir
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

...*blink, blink*...
Huh?
Oh, I see what happened. When I said "fashionable," I meant recent; or "of the times," like how Hitler and Mussolini and (I can't remember his name Japanese Emperor) were the villains of WWII, Saddam Hussain was the villain of Desert Storm, Osama Bin Laden was the villain of the war on Terror until he was offed... Etc.
Maybe use villains from big headline news stories too, like those two guys who escaped prison recently, or whatever.
I'm too much!
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

GlytchMeister wrote:...*blink, blink*...
Huh?
Oh, I see what happened. When I said "fashionable," I meant recent; or "of the times," like how Hitler and Mussolini and (I can't remember his name Japanese Emperor) were the villains of WWII, Saddam Hussain was the villain of Desert Storm, Osama Bin Laden was the villain of the war on Terror until he was offed... Etc.
Maybe use villains from big headline news stories too, like those two guys who escaped prison recently, or whatever.
Bond villains are rather snappy dressers. Quite a few are even pleasant to look at. Can't say the same about folks here in the real world...except Imelda...that lady had some killer shoe collections... ;)

--Safyr Drathmir