Fire drink?

Talk about your favorite liquor, ask questions, and share stories all about booze!

Moderators: MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Bookworm, starkruzr, Wapsi

User avatar
Julie
Posts: 1605
Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2012 3:30 pm
Location: Dallas, Texas

Re: Fire drink?

Post by Julie » Thu Dec 31, 2015 10:32 am

Ooo...I might need to try that!
"Just open your eyes
And see that life is beautiful."

User avatar
DinkyInky
Posts: 2405
Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:38 am
Location: Where there's more than Corn.
Contact:

Fire drink...kids, don't try this at home...seriously.

Post by DinkyInky » Thu Dec 31, 2015 1:22 pm

Julie wrote:Ooo...I might need to try that!
Check the sweet fire post he made.


BTW, for any newcomers, the fire drink listed on page one(Gibil's Scorn) is fictional, created for a fire character, cobbled together from my very real personal collection of herbal infused high proof moonshines, rums, vodkas, and such.


In real life, it's meant to be used as a tincture, to be dispensed by drop into a 32 ounce glass of water...as in one drop of each into said glass drank before bed.

******************

Dave:

Sadly, I have not been able to find another source of that strain of naga jolokia since moving, so I cannot make that chili rum again for a while.

I used a hand made glass "smidgen" spoon to dispense it into my personal chili pot. Have to goto another ren faire to get one, because I apparently either lost or broke mine.

If I ever gather the peppers again, I'll see about getting a concrete measurement of what I used so you too can own "flaming death in a bottle".
Yanno how some people have Angels/Devils for a conscience? I have a Dark Elf ShadowKnight and a Half Elf Ranger for mine. The really bad part is when they agree on something.

Aphyon chu kissa whol l'jaed.
--Safyr Drathmir

User avatar
Dave
Posts: 6570
Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2012 5:58 pm
Location: Mountain View, CA, USA
Contact:

Re: Fire drink...kids, don't try this at home...seriously.

Post by Dave » Thu Dec 31, 2015 2:42 pm

DinkyInky wrote:Sadly, I have not been able to find another source of that strain of naga jolokia since moving, so I cannot make that chili rum again for a while.

I used a hand made glass "smidgen" spoon to dispense it into my personal chili pot. Have to goto another ren faire to get one, because I apparently either lost or broke mine.

If I ever gather the peppers again, I'll see about getting a concrete measurement of what I used so you too can own "flaming death in a bottle".
Would be very much appreciated! Thanks!

Years ago, I made a big jar of picked red manzano peppers, from a plant I was raising in my backyard. Ran out a long time ago, and the plant hadn't survived one bad winter, so I was very pleased to see a cartoon of yellow manzano peppers in my local produce market last week... it's the first time I've ever seen them in a store.

I diced up a dozen of them, saving out the seeds for possible planting this spring, poured on enough cider vinegar to cover, heated to a simmer, then let them cool and put them in a jar in the fridge.

Yum, yum, yum! Such a wonderful flavor. Not super-hot... cooking manzanos in vinegar is a traditional way to tone down their heat before stuffing then... but enough of a kick to be useful.

I'm sorry I waited this long before making a new batch.

User avatar
DinkyInky
Posts: 2405
Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:38 am
Location: Where there's more than Corn.
Contact:

Re: Fire drink...kids, don't try this at home...seriously.

Post by DinkyInky » Thu Dec 31, 2015 7:04 pm

Dave wrote:I was very pleased to see a cartoon of yellow manzano peppers in my local produce market last week... it's the first time I've ever seen them in a store.
Must be real colourful characters. Were they dancing?
Yanno how some people have Angels/Devils for a conscience? I have a Dark Elf ShadowKnight and a Half Elf Ranger for mine. The really bad part is when they agree on something.

Aphyon chu kissa whol l'jaed.
--Safyr Drathmir

User avatar
Catawampus
Posts: 1985
Joined: Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:47 pm

Re: Fire drink?

Post by Catawampus » Thu Dec 31, 2015 7:08 pm

GlytchMeister wrote:Is that a list of individual drinks or a recipe for a mix?
We can make it into a mixed drink and call it the Dinky's Despair.

User avatar
DinkyInky
Posts: 2405
Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:38 am
Location: Where there's more than Corn.
Contact:

Re: Fire drink?

Post by DinkyInky » Thu Dec 31, 2015 7:32 pm

Catawampus wrote:
GlytchMeister wrote:Is that a list of individual drinks or a recipe for a mix?
We can make it into a mixed drink and call it the Dinky's Despair.
See Dave's post afterwards regarding (That loud "Aaugh! Yuck! Blasphemy!!" )

Never, ever put me in the same sentence with use of an elegant single malt in a mixer. That is blasphemy. :P

Single malt is for savouring.

Anyway, I already made that drink:

Safyr's Fear and Despair

Absinthe

Hot Damn 100

Jagermeister

Coat rim of double shot glass with simple syrup, then press into bed of sugar to coat.

Jagermeister, then layer Hot Damn 100 with spoon, then layer Black Absinthe on top.


Slam it back, and fear me while you despair ever removing that taste from your memory.

Oh, and if you value sanity, do not have anything else to drink that night. That shot is very high proof.
Yanno how some people have Angels/Devils for a conscience? I have a Dark Elf ShadowKnight and a Half Elf Ranger for mine. The really bad part is when they agree on something.

Aphyon chu kissa whol l'jaed.
--Safyr Drathmir

User avatar
Catawampus
Posts: 1985
Joined: Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:47 pm

Re: Fire drink?

Post by Catawampus » Sat Jan 02, 2016 3:21 pm

DinkyInky wrote:Never, ever put me in the same sentence with use of an elegant single malt in a mixer. That is blasphemy. :P
I knew a Saudi prince who drank forty-year-old Glenfiddich in Diet Coke. You two would probably get along famously at a bar.

User avatar
GlytchMeister
Posts: 3651
Joined: Wed Oct 16, 2013 2:52 pm
Location: Central Illinois
Contact:

Re: Fire drink?

Post by GlytchMeister » Sat Jan 02, 2016 5:10 pm

*long, exasperated sigh*

Hold on a sec, Dinky. Let me get my trusty steel pipe, we can take care of him together.

I don't drink, and even I know that is an atrocity that must be stopped.
He's mister GlytchMeister, he's mister code
He's mister exploiter, he's mister ones and zeros
They call me GlytchMeister, whatever I touch
Starts to glitch in my clutch!
I'm too much!

User avatar
Catawampus
Posts: 1985
Joined: Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:47 pm

Re: Fire drink?

Post by Catawampus » Sat Jan 02, 2016 9:13 pm

GlytchMeister wrote:*long, exasperated sigh*

Hold on a sec, Dinky. Let me get my trusty steel pipe, we can take care of him together.

I don't drink, and even I know that is an atrocity that must be stopped.
I mean, Diet Coke? That's just terribly bad taste, no question.

To be fair, though, I suspect that he was doing so 90% as just a display of ostentation. "Look at how casually I'm drinking $100 a bottle booze!!!"

User avatar
DinkyInky
Posts: 2405
Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:38 am
Location: Where there's more than Corn.
Contact:

Re: Fire drink?

Post by DinkyInky » Sat Jan 02, 2016 9:35 pm

Catawampus wrote:
GlytchMeister wrote:*long, exasperated sigh*

Hold on a sec, Dinky. Let me get my trusty steel pipe, we can take care of him together.

I don't drink, and even I know that is an atrocity that must be stopped.
I mean, Diet Coke? That's just terribly bad taste, no question.

To be fair, though, I suspect that he was doing so 90% as just a display of ostentation. "Look at how casually I'm drinking $100 a bottle booze!!!"
That is just poor taste.

I drink a $250 a bottle of single malt ostentatiously...

Went out to a fancy dinner with my then boyfriend. Bought me clothes, shoes, manicure, bottle of booze.

Informed him I knew about his side dish.

Then I decked him and broke up, taking his keys and dropping them in the fountain.

Wrapped up the scotch...

Walked home.

Sat on the grass, wearing a rather expensive red dress slit up to the thigh, fancy high heeled shoes casually sunk deep in the soft lawn, ropes of pearls dangling down my neck, hair mussed up, and barefoot.

Drank that scotch out of a crystal goblet. Brothers buddy came by and asked if he knew why I was sitting outside all dressed up drinking one of the priciest scotches on the planet. My brother shrugged, and his buddy came out to ask.

"Because I can."
Yanno how some people have Angels/Devils for a conscience? I have a Dark Elf ShadowKnight and a Half Elf Ranger for mine. The really bad part is when they agree on something.

Aphyon chu kissa whol l'jaed.
--Safyr Drathmir

User avatar
GlytchMeister
Posts: 3651
Joined: Wed Oct 16, 2013 2:52 pm
Location: Central Illinois
Contact:

Re: Fire drink?

Post by GlytchMeister » Sat Jan 02, 2016 11:27 pm

*high five!*

I wonder if there's a non-alcoholic drink that qualifies for ostentatious drinking...
He's mister GlytchMeister, he's mister code
He's mister exploiter, he's mister ones and zeros
They call me GlytchMeister, whatever I touch
Starts to glitch in my clutch!
I'm too much!

ShneekeyTheLost
Posts: 614
Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:45 pm

Re: Fire drink?

Post by ShneekeyTheLost » Sat Jan 02, 2016 11:44 pm

GlytchMeister wrote:*high five!*

I wonder if there's a non-alcoholic drink that qualifies for ostentatious drinking...
Ostentation is not necessarily about expense so much as the frivolity of it. "Because I can", to quote Dinky.

It is not caring if it is a multi-thousand dollar bottle of triple-sec Italian champagne, you needed something bubbly for your drink, and it was closer than the sprite.

User avatar
DinkyInky
Posts: 2405
Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:38 am
Location: Where there's more than Corn.
Contact:

Re: Fire drink?

Post by DinkyInky » Sun Jan 03, 2016 9:35 am

ShneekeyTheLost wrote:
GlytchMeister wrote:*high five!*

I wonder if there's a non-alcoholic drink that qualifies for ostentatious drinking...
Ostentation is not necessarily about expense so much as the frivolity of it. "Because I can", to quote Dinky.

It is not caring if it is a multi-thousand dollar bottle of triple-sec Italian champagne, you needed something bubbly for your drink, and it was closer than the sprite.
This. Though mine was situational comedy.

{Also, though at the time I was rather pissed in both meanings of the word. I can really laugh about it now looking back on it.

My brothers friend did get a drink of that, because he high-fived me(Just like Glytch) after the comment...and did not pry for reasons.}

Another example is getting Fugu, and asking for kool-aid to drink with your death wish.

About the diet coke, I have met Very obscenely rich people over the years too chicken to try higher priced scotch without a mixer. They are unaware of the difference between $20 rotgut, and $250 silky smooth, peaty warmth. So they tip a bit of cheap pop in to cover up ignorance.

I've convinced several high profile pubs and bars and clubs over the years to host tasting events.

It seems like paying $150-200 a piece for tix is a lot, but when dinner, tasting, and transport home is included, it is actually cheaper than a semi-high priced dinner date.
Yanno how some people have Angels/Devils for a conscience? I have a Dark Elf ShadowKnight and a Half Elf Ranger for mine. The really bad part is when they agree on something.

Aphyon chu kissa whol l'jaed.
--Safyr Drathmir

Typeminer
Posts: 593
Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:34 pm
Location: Pennsylbama, between Philly and Pittsburgh

Re: Fire drink?

Post by Typeminer » Tue Jan 05, 2016 10:05 pm

I can see adding a splash of water, maybe even seltzer, to a good scotch, to dilute it a bit without changing the flavor. But mixing it? Save the money and stick with Dewar's White Label or similar.

My dad used to say that anybody who would fry a steak, you might as well shoot them and put them out of their misery. Same principle.
Saccharomyces cerevisiae is the linchpin of civilization.

ShneekeyTheLost
Posts: 614
Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:45 pm

Re: Fire drink?

Post by ShneekeyTheLost » Tue Jan 05, 2016 11:18 pm

Typeminer wrote:I can see adding a splash of water, maybe even seltzer, to a good scotch, to dilute it a bit without changing the flavor. But mixing it? Save the money and stick with Dewar's White Label or similar.

My dad used to say that anybody who would fry a steak, you might as well shoot them and put them out of their misery. Same principle.
Put it on the rocks. Gesture with it a bit. Let some of the alcohol evaporate and for some of the ice to melt to dilute it a bit.

User avatar
DinkyInky
Posts: 2405
Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:38 am
Location: Where there's more than Corn.
Contact:

Re: Fire drink?

Post by DinkyInky » Tue Jan 05, 2016 11:32 pm

ShneekeyTheLost wrote:
Typeminer wrote:I can see adding a splash of water, maybe even seltzer, to a good scotch, to dilute it a bit without changing the flavor. But mixing it? Save the money and stick with Dewar's White Label or similar.

My dad used to say that anybody who would fry a steak, you might as well shoot them and put them out of their misery. Same principle.
Put it on the rocks. Gesture with it a bit. Let some of the alcohol evaporate and for some of the ice to melt to dilute it a bit.
This.
Yanno how some people have Angels/Devils for a conscience? I have a Dark Elf ShadowKnight and a Half Elf Ranger for mine. The really bad part is when they agree on something.

Aphyon chu kissa whol l'jaed.
--Safyr Drathmir

User avatar
Dave
Posts: 6570
Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2012 5:58 pm
Location: Mountain View, CA, USA
Contact:

Re: Fire drink?

Post by Dave » Tue Jan 05, 2016 11:36 pm

Typeminer wrote:My dad used to say that anybody who would fry a steak, you might as well shoot them and put them out of their misery. Same principle.
I don't think you can make a proper Philly cheese steak without frying/grilling... and trust me, there is no misery involved at all in one of those (except for the fumes of the frying onions).

I agree with your point about good Scotch, though.

User avatar
DinkyInky
Posts: 2405
Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:38 am
Location: Where there's more than Corn.
Contact:

Re: Fire drink?

Post by DinkyInky » Wed Jan 06, 2016 12:47 am

Dave wrote:
Typeminer wrote:My dad used to say that anybody who would fry a steak, you might as well shoot them and put them out of their misery. Same principle.
I don't think you can make a proper Philly cheese steak without frying/grilling... and trust me, there is no misery involved at all in one of those (except for the fumes of the frying onions).

I agree with your point about good Scotch, though.
Most Texans I know would not call Philly Cheese Steak a Steak. They just call it beef.
Yanno how some people have Angels/Devils for a conscience? I have a Dark Elf ShadowKnight and a Half Elf Ranger for mine. The really bad part is when they agree on something.

Aphyon chu kissa whol l'jaed.
--Safyr Drathmir

User avatar
GlytchMeister
Posts: 3651
Joined: Wed Oct 16, 2013 2:52 pm
Location: Central Illinois
Contact:

Re: Fire drink?

Post by GlytchMeister » Wed Jan 06, 2016 1:08 am

DinkyInky wrote:
Dave wrote:
Typeminer wrote:My dad used to say that anybody who would fry a steak, you might as well shoot them and put them out of their misery. Same principle.
I don't think you can make a proper Philly cheese steak without frying/grilling... and trust me, there is no misery involved at all in one of those (except for the fumes of the frying onions).

I agree with your point about good Scotch, though.
Most Texans I know would not call Philly Cheese Steak a Steak. They just call it beef.
*fistbump*

"Thinly-sliced steak" is an oxymoron. Each negates the other. That's my story an' I'm stickin' to it.
He's mister GlytchMeister, he's mister code
He's mister exploiter, he's mister ones and zeros
They call me GlytchMeister, whatever I touch
Starts to glitch in my clutch!
I'm too much!

User avatar
AmriloJim
Posts: 1202
Joined: Sat Aug 04, 2012 10:47 pm
Location: 35ºN 101ºW (for the GPS-challenged, that's Amarillo TX)
Contact:

Re: Fire drink?

Post by AmriloJim » Wed Jan 06, 2016 1:45 am

Yup! A Philly is not steak... it is good, but it's not steak.
Chicken-fried steak is almost not steak, but it's much closer than a Philly.
We also pray for those who prefer medium-well or worse to see the error of their ways.

Post Reply